HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Has this been discussed as a near-term project for the existing stations or is this just future-proofing? I feel like I saw some cost estimates a long time ago but only as an info item and not as something they had serious plans to do.

Also, for those who know more about the rideshare thing, was the plan to use Delta/Donley/Denton Dr? I saw something in the site plan documents about a pedestrian crossing over the train tracks. It would make some sense to do it near there and ultimately incorporate into the future station.

It's noteworthy though that Delta/Donley/Denton Dr does not have sidewalks.
Especially for a special event, it's pretty easy to put up cones or other barriers to demarcate a pedestrian area. All 3 streets are pretty wide, especially if they temporarily turn it into a one way loop.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Has this been discussed as a near-term project for the existing stations or is this just future-proofing? I feel like I saw some cost estimates a long time ago but only as an info item and not as something they had serious plans to do.

Also, for those who know more about the rideshare thing, was the plan to use Delta/Donley/Denton Dr? I saw something in the site plan documents about a pedestrian crossing over the train tracks. It would make some sense to do it near there and ultimately incorporate into the future station.

Lengthening the Red Line platforms is an active (but unfunded) short term improvement project. The exception is the Highland station where the preference is to relocate it a few hundred feet east closer to the residential component of highland. I can't imagine they wouldn't build the longer stations for these 2 if they are actively trying to lengthen the rest.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Lengthening the Red Line platforms is an active (but unfunded) short term improvement project. The exception is the Highland station where the preference is to relocate it a few hundred feet east closer to the residential component of highland. I can't imagine they wouldn't build the longer stations for these 2 if they are actively trying to lengthen the rest.
CapMetro had submitted the project to CAMPO for funding in the last project call (2019-2022), but it wasn't selected. They only selected 1 transit project, for CARTS not even for CM (that's something that really needs to change for Austin).

Though CM did get some money to study the Airport/Lamar/Red Line intersection.

https://47kzwj6dn1447gy9z7do16an-wpe...et-for-web.pdf

Capital Metro
(1) Transit Capital Metro MetroRail Platform Extensions Plaza Saltillo
Station Leander Station Modify eight Metrorail stations to accommodate
2-car trains
75 N/A

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
CapMetro had submitted the project to CAMPO for funding in the last project call (2019-2022), but it wasn't selected. They only selected 1 transit project, for CARTS not even for CM (that's something that really needs to change for Austin).

Though CM did get some money to study the Airport/Lamar/Red Line intersection.

https://47kzwj6dn1447gy9z7do16an-wpe...et-for-web.pdf

Capital Metro
(1) Transit Capital Metro MetroRail Platform Extensions Plaza Saltillo
Station Leander Station Modify eight Metrorail stations to accommodate
2-car trains
75 N/A
CM also tried to get a federal grant for the Broadmore station but the vast majority of those funds went to rural highways due to the administration's priorities.

I wonder if Cap Metro has spent that money yet on the Lamar study since they have a different firm looking at potential grade separating the Orange line there as well.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:

Assuming that my memory of the site model is right, that’s it. I know it was a loop to the east of the stadium site, and that’s the only combination that makes sense looking at the Google map.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 8:52 PM

I didn't realize the first building permit was issued. Still more to come.

Permit/Case: 2019-197099 BP

Temporary Building Permits: Drill Piers along with SP-2019-0113C.F1 scope - Piers, Grade Beams and Footings along with SP- 2019-0113C.F2.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=12333255

Reminder to vote against city prop A.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

New PAC created to recall Mayor Adler & 5 on city council

Quote:
The PAC “Our Town Austin” formed yesterday. Sharon Blythe created it and says the PAC’s purpose is to recall Adler plus council members Natasha Harper-Madison, Pio Renteria, Ann Kitchen, Paige Ellis and Kathie Tovo. The group did not explain why they chose these specific council members.

It appears this recall effort may be centered around the Major League Soccer stadium and not homelessness, which is the more recent Council controversy.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...-city-council/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
New PAC created to recall Mayor Adler & 5 on city council

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...-city-council/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 6:22 PM
Meh

Golly, I wonder where they'll find "anti-development" candidates to replace them with. How would that even go? Developer/property owner proposes something for their land, and the city says no? I'm sure that'll go over real well in the courts. Nimby logic is funny.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Golly, I wonder where they'll find "anti-development" candidates to replace them with. How would that even go? Developer/property owner proposes something for their land, and the city says no? I'm sure that'll go over real well in the courts. Nimby logic is funny.
This isn't the NIMBYs, this is Epstein. Remember Blythe was the one who sued the city over Prop B's language, and who's Prop B PAC is mostly funded by Epstein and his employees.

That's why her new recall PAC didn't say why they targeted those 5 council members. Also keep in mind Blythe is a friend, and failed city board appointee, of Don Zimmerman.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Oct 22, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 8:41 PM

t

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 9:55 PM

That last picture really gives a good image of the orientation of the stadium, and where it fits in with the area and the proximity to the Domain and train track. You can make out where the playing field and seating will be. Its like they are making a mold of the stadium. Nice progress and very interesting to watch.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 11:24 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
This isn't the NIMBYs, this is Epstein. Remember Blythe was the one who sued the city over Prop B's language, and who's Prop B PAC is mostly funded by Epstein and his employees.

That's why her new recall PAC didn't say why they targeted those 5 council members. Also keep in mind Blythe is a friend, and failed city board appointee, of Don Zimmerman.
Yeah, but the Nimbys are still all over this like flies on you know what. They likely assume it's some group doing it with anti-development views without realizing it has anything to do with the two sporting venues.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but the Nimbys are still all over this like flies on you know what. They likely assume it's some group doing it with anti-development views without realizing it has anything to do with the two sporting venues.
Their reasons for who they are targeting are not clear. If it was only about soccer, they wouldn't be targeting Ellis or Harper-Madison, who weren't even on Council when the vote happened. It can't be purely NIMBY, otherwise they would not be targeting Tovo, and would be targeting Flannigan.

Last edited by H2O; Oct 23, 2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: How could I forget Paige?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That last picture really gives a good image of the orientation of the stadium, and where it fits in with the area and the proximity to the Domain and train track. You can make out where the playing field and seating will be. Its like they are making a mold of the stadium. Nice progress and very interesting to watch.
That 7th pic facing northwest really shows the surroundings pretty well. In just a few years the north side of Braker will really have grown up between the South End stuff and Broadmoor. Catching the Red Line train in the corner was a nice touch.

A certain fanbase likes to say "bUt ItS nOT doWnTOwN" but I think we'll be alright. Not only is Austin booming like few other places, but we'll have managed to sprout a second skyline that would put most mid-size cities to shame.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 6:17 PM
Meh

FAA permit for the stadium - 97 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0628931&row=14

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Their reasons for who they are targeting are not clear. If it was only about soccer, they wouldn't be targeting Ellis or Harper-Madison, who weren't even on Council when the vote happened. It can't be purely NIMBY, otherwise they would not be targeting Tovo, and would be targeting Flannigan.
It turns out they are targeting those six because they were just elected / reelected last year. The rest of Council are up for reelection in 2020, so they will be backing opposition candidates in those spots. Blythe says that the homeless debate was the tipping point for her. That being said, I will not be surprised to see Epstein and others behind Props A and B backing her cause.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
FAA permit for the stadium - 97 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0628931&row=14
Here's an FAA permit for a 350' crawler crane for the stadium. It's for 10 months. They might be using this instead of tower cranes.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...527162&row=157

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:59 PM
looking at plans...

There is a mock-up of the big canopy columns that was started last week. It can be seen from Burnet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:10 PM

Today is Election Day.

Remember to go vote against Prop A today if you haven't already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin