HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 10:09 PM
visionary

Again another Winnipeg downtown wishlist for 2008.

Winnipeg downtown wishlist, without any negative comments please and thank you.

--

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 10:13 PM
Still optimistic

LRT will be Winnipeg's this year!!!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 10:45 PM

Sam Katz resigns as mayor and Glen Murray comes back and is re-elected.The Bay downtown is converted into condos on top 4 floors. Winnipeg adds a dedicated downtown police force of 200 cops. True North and the city team up to build an entertainment district around MTS centre. Portage place builds 2 new condo towers on their vacant tower pads.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

A new tallest..

Preferably downtown, but Vike's backyard will do too.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 12:19 AM

Construction to start on CMHR.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:45 AM
visionary

Mine would be: (not necessarely in order)
Enjoy

1. Fix Portage Place mall.

- build those 2 residential/office towers finally on the east and west wing pad

-convert portage place mall to have all stores to have front street access. All stores on the second will have to moved to a new mall that portage place mall that will be built. ( I believe that is partially why Mcnally robinson moved because many winnipegers didn't even know that there was Mcnally downtown. The same faith could happen to the Leather Ranch.

-the second floor would either be used for offices or additonal floor used for the existing store on the main floor.

-The Free Press offices would then be moved to make way to an extention of portage place mall

-all stores should be allowed to dress up storefront with there own kind generic look and signs. Albeit not passing the second level.

2. Narrow Portage Avenue

-eliminate one street going each way
-thus provide more room for pedestrian and gives a small lane to cyclist.

3. Implement traffic de-congestion navigation signs to downtown and other parts of the city
one way to lessen traffic congestion downtown is to have a system that
Japan is doing and that is an intelligent traffic management system check the site. Here is the site.

http://www.dambach.de/57.html?&L=1

its basically a huge overhead map at some intersection that shows what route are presently less congested and points out the best alternative routes you can take.

4. Start building glass corridors ...

- start building a +10 ft glass corridor on sidewalks Portage avenue would then need to loose a street to make way for these glass corridor that would act as another form of skywalk shelter from our harsh winters. Other streets where stores exist downtown will eventually get built as well however smaller because the side streets have smaller sidewalks.

5. Bring back the focus of bulding an entertainment destrict around the Mts Centre.

6. Bring more possible museums on main street in proximity to the Manitoba Museum.

- By bringing aviation museum downtown
-Bring the electrical museum (thats presently situated off Taylor avenue by the present MB Hydro offices) to the manitoba museum
-Make the Manitoba Museum bigger

7. Increase awareness and demand of mix used buildings

8. Build Rapid transit systems

-build LTRs that don't need to obey the flow of traffic (meaning it don't need to stop at every red light and wait for other vehicles to turn).

-start building one leg of sky train from the airport to downtown with stops along the way in order to bring more tourism downtown in a qucker easier fashion that way they can get back to the airport much quicker when there plane departs.

9. legislate that no more huge hotels can be built close to the airport, they have to be built downtown.

10. Bring more grenery downtown plant more flowers make art displays out of them. Plant evergreens that way our trees don't look so bear in the winter.

11. move the salvation army and other soup kitchens from main and higgins to the north end.

12. Convince Red River College to relocate to the Exchange right by the existing satellite campus

Encourage Red river college to relocate most of there courses to exchange in the empty warehouses .... that still exist in the exchange. Of course courses like mechanics and carpentry would remain in its present location by sherwin park. This would bring approximately 20, 000- 30 000 students downtown. And possibly they will live downtown. Thus the conveniance of all bus routes coming downtown

13. Do something with the Canada Post building on graham once they vacate the building.

- I suggest make retail on the ground floor offices then residential on the upper floors of the office builiding.

-make a huge gym and fitness centre (like the YMCA, with a pool and running track) out of the sorting plant.
-Build residentials over top the sorting building.
this would for sure bring residents downtown as they have a huge fitness centre and library attached to it

14. split the Bay building into two like TV has suggested One side facing portage beeing the bay and the back end of the building becomes offices.

15. Build a bigger parkade at the back of the Bay with a residential tower built overtop with store fronts facing vaughn street.

16. Convert the lower floor of City place mall (Eaton place) mall into a manitoba hockey and curling museum.

17. Build a huge Cineplex downtown

make a huge Movie plex accross the street of the MTS Centre where the Bank building is (on portage ave). For sure Keep the Facade of the Bank Building and perhaps the a & b sound building with a bigger parkade attached to it on that block.

as you know the Cineplex would be a famous players that has all the new movies but also it would have a bit older movies like what Cinema Eight has. yes I know famous players owns that too thats why it would work.

18. Try to lure Q-94 and the rest of CTVglobemedia Inc operations that is located on Pembina to downtown.

19. put the wrecking ball on that ugly APTN building and relocate them.20. Find a tenant for RBC bank and teller building on hargrave and portage, Once they move the new MB Hydro tower. Maybe a high end restaurant .

21. Encourage more boating on our rivers.22. Look into taking away some streets downtown which was done with edmonton street when Portage place was built.

23 Build a domed, retractable roof or open air Blue bomber stadium in conjunction with the convention centre.

If it were it to be built where the convention centre I would bulldoze some buildings and take away st marys (since there are way too many roads downtown that would allow to construct major complexes) and use those parking existing ugly parking lots.

the other alternative to build a new convention centre with the stadium by higgins by waterfront
here is what I had said before.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=278

24. Take down the barriers on portage and main, enough said

Build a symbolic monument which you could dirive under at the intersection. With perhaps some office and restaurants built on top of the monument

25. Get rid of Winnipeg Square

- replace it with underground parking or storage or reserved for the future link to the sky train.
-lets rebuild the streetscape with stores that have glass hallways that protect you from the deep freeze.

26. Relocate the Paddle Wheel Queen and Red River Rouge cruise ship to the Forks.

have the paddle wheel queen and red river rouge limit the amount of alcohol consummed on there boats this way the Forks will eventually allow those cruise ships to dock and build a restaurant at the forks. (but if they do license there boats for more alcohol consumption then therefore they will have to dock elsewheres like where they are now. ) It would be great to see those boats docked right at the forks like they did for a bit 13 -14 yrs ago but if having alot of drunken idiots tripping around the forks is not a thing we should have so if they limit there alcohol sales with there restaurant then it should be good.

27. Make sure the downtown lighting project keeps going ahead and completed and push the Exchange to do the same.

28. Bring in more affordable condos

29 Tax heavily parking lots and abandoned buildings downtown.

30. have Via union station become the hub for Rapid transit.

31. Gondalla downtown?

yeah I am serious lol this could be a cool new trend for downtowns.

just imagine get a lift from portage and vaughn and seeing a birds eye view of all of the exchange to the legislature to the forks. take a look at this video to get a sense of what i am rambling about lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e-hJpPFFg4

32. Build monumental status at every corner downtown

like:
- at Fort Gary hotel: of the Queen who visite the Fort Garry Hotel
- at Portage and Main: where Bobby Hull and Dale Hawerchuck who signed there multi milion dollar contracts

-of the Guess who in Boulevard in front of the Rock n hall of fame Museum
- Selanne and steen in front of the MTS Centre
- the list can go on .....

these statues would be have to tall enough so nobody can climb them ...

33. Lower Fort Garry lets market it better and look for more proposals for the heritage park

34. close off donald by the Mts center once the rock n roll hall of fame is built to make it pedestrian friendly.

35. Have the Moose build and indoor arena practise facility

at that parking lot right by (west of) city place mall with several sheets of ice for them and the community which could use it. Also have retail as part of the arena like a sportcheck.

36. have led signage on both sides of the skywalk from the bay to the portage place mall.

37. since our offices leases are cheap why don't we try to bring major offices downtown like shaw tv, shindico, ....

38 Encourage Great west life and MTS and Can-West to build new office towers and cheer on the Canadian Museum of Human Rights, and look forward to the University of Winnipeg in making a bigger campus downtown

39. a new pedestrian bridge at the Osborne Bridge

40. Encourage Grey Hound to relocate by the Via rail station (union station)

41 subdivide some major block (lot) broken into 2 to four mini blocks that way it would allow pedestrian walk whereever they need be and it would allow more stores accessed much like in europe.

Last edited by viperred88; Jan 2, 2008 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 4:49 AM
surely you agree with me

^just a small wishlist eh? (#35 might happen this year )

mine would be to start construction on the human rights museum and to announce anything on the parking lots north of the canwest tower, north of the post office or west of city place....maybe some residential across from the ballpark at the forks as well....

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 3:20 PM

add
- windmill at the forks
- horse drawn carriage rides from forks through exchange district. not wagon rides but a real nice carriage. very romantic!!! all major cities i've been too have this.

some interesting ones in that list I like a lot, however

"aviation museum downtown" - this places should be by the airport where most of the aerospace companies are located. attached to the new terminal for people who have layovers or for people to visit while picking up visitors. special display can "fly in".

"practise arean for Moose" - why would they need this when tha building is sitting empty quite often.

"riverboats at the Forks" - a good chunck of the summer they cant fit under the bridges. so unless they decide to control water levels for more than flooding then this cant happen.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:36 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
maybe some residential across from the ballpark at the forks as well....

I've heard from a credible source that more new condos around the Forks are in the works.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 1:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I've heard from a credible source that more new condos around the Forks are in the works.
Thats been rumoured for a while.. but I've heard the same things.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 1:52 AM
Capitalist

Wishlist??? (still a ridiculous thread.. becuse it doesn't link economic reality to any wishes) .. but I'll play along...

1) 20 new 40+ story towers.... 5 office towers ... 5 condo towers .. and 10 a mix between office, condo, retail and hotel in any combination. Another 30 midrise buildings in downtown.. would add a great deal of density to the innercity and make rapid transit much more viable.

2) the removal of the postoffice building and replaced with one or two of the buildings mentioned above.

3) the elimination of the city business tax.. ie: 2nd property tax on business. (oh yeah this one is on its way)

4) elimination of the capital tax .. (oh my bad.. its on the way out as well.)

5) tax incentives for new businesses located downtown... or expansion of established businesses in the downtown.

6) broad enhancements to downtown safety... to attract more people downtown.

7) luxury highrise condo tower / retail on the cityplace parking lot across from the powerhouse building on Graham.

8) expansion of the Convention centre across York Ave.

9) enhancement of Ellice Ave towards becoming an innovation strip... University expansion and government and private research and development facilities.

10) enhancement of BioMed City at the HSC .... not exactly downtown, but definately worth mentioning.

11) beautification of the drive from Airport to Downtown.

12) Elimination of the Payroll Tax... penalizing businesses for adding staff and thus increasing demand for space.

13) broad enhancement of the overall city economy.. through business development and economic and employment growth.

14) Addition of a new sports team playing in the MTS Centre... maybe a minor league basketball .. or something else.

15) See one of the highrises listed at 1) ... built at the upper Fort Garry sight.. Winnipeg needs to focus as much on the future as in the past. While restoring some of the area for a well lit urban park/plaza utilizing the Fort gate.

16) see West Broadway modernized through maketing towards becoming a vibrant retail and restaurant strip.

... this is just a start of my limitless list .. since its a wish list it should be loaded with goodlies.. but its a good start none the less.

Oh one more thing to add to my list.. the return of ex-pats to Winnipeg to take part in the growth and revitalisation... of course all wishes great and small would require some form of economic and political will. Vibrancy is brought on through investment and confidence. The problem is it takes one to make the other happen -
(government waste mega projects do not have much impact).

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 3, 2008 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 11:56 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
add
- windmill at the forks
- horse drawn carriage rides from forks through exchange district. not wagon rides but a real nice carriage. very romantic!!! all major cities i've been too have this

"aviation museum downtown" - this places should be by the airport where most of the aerospace companies are located. attached to the new terminal for people who have layovers or for people to visit while picking up visitors. special display can "fly in".

"practise arean for Moose" - why would they need this when tha building is sitting empty quite often.

"riverboats at the Forks" - a good chunck of the summer they cant fit under the bridges. so unless they decide to control water levels for more than flooding then this cant happen.

-Horse drawn carriages: would be great, Hopefully the city would allow that one day.

-Aviation museum:I understand what you are say about why the aviation museum should be by the aiport but my idea is tied in to the fact that I want to legislate for no more major hotel going up by the airport instead have all new major hotels downtown connected by sky train or LRT to downtown. Thus they would visite the aviation museum. Besides the airport area isn't very pedestrian friendly for one person to walk over to the old terminal once the new one is built. Besides people who come in for a visite to our city should see this museum amongst over other things that are downtown.

-Practise facility for the moose as I said could be used by the public. Besides I believe the U of W has expressed interest in having CIAU hockey team .

as well I for one would like more sports played in the arena perhaps basketball and/ or a junior hockey team of the WHL.

-Riverboats at forks: don't neccessarly mean it has to dock at the assiniboine though a new dock can be built right by provencher bridge on the red river. Though it would be nice if our new and improved floodway would do a better job ...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 12:00 AM
visionary

Great list Newflyer

of course it takes money to make a dream happen but its still great to have vision for the future that way we can plan

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
Density and complexity

I wish that Winnipeggers would stop vandalizing American Apparel's storefront because they were "souless" enough to open up their chain retail store on an urban street rather than in a shopping mall. The sooner these insular collectivist hicks move to the gentrified hoods of Toronto or Montreal, or grow up, the better off this city will be.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:28 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post

i agree with your first point...the aviation museum is not practical downtown.

the moose are desperate for a proper practice facility...the MTS centre is expensive to operate and is very often not available for practices.....there are non hockey events there frequently and with days for set up and dismantling stages, the moose practice schedule is difficult....

the river boats idea should be accompanied with a commitment to regulate the river within the city...the city spends millions a year on riverbank stabilization....as the forks becomes more developed and a greater tourist draw (especially once the human rights museum is constructed) it is critical that the riverwalk remain open for more than a few weeks a year...why they spent half a billion on a new floodway and didnt make this a priority is beyond me.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:37 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the river boats idea should be accompanied with a commitment to regulate the river within the city...the city spends millions a year on riverbank stabilization....as the forks becomes more developed and a greater tourist draw (especially once the human rights museum is constructed) it is critical that the riverwalk remain open for more than a few weeks a year...why they spent half a billion on a new floodway and didnt make this a priority is beyond me.

I'm surprised we tolerate this as a community..

Surely there is a way to open the floodway in the summer and lower the river levels during the summer months so that the people of this city can actually enjoy the river walk.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 7:25 PM

I have often wondered exactly the same thing. Our riverways should be shown with pride and made available for public use as much as possible. It is unrealistic to think the city/province could find a way to have the floodway facilitate this?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 9:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Surely there is a way to open the floodway in the summer and lower the river levels during the summer months so that the people of this city can actually enjoy the river walk.
I am pretty sure it is against the "law" to open the floodway except where doing otherwise would potentially flood the city.

I believe it already has the capability to control river levels in throughout the summer, but the legal roadblocks prevent it's use for that purpose...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 9:58 PM

a small number of people south of the floodway (market gardners) dont like it, so the city will only legally operate it if required.

too bad in my opinion. we need the riverwalk for the summer

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am a typical

At least people in Winnipeg know they have a riverwalk. Thunder Bay has a riverwalk but in a recent survey we found out that about 70% of the population doesn't know it exists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan