HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/01/...70923565739338

Why is this still happening in Manitoba??
I have no idea, and I would not be surprised if this is still happening in other provinces as well.

Not to give anyone a pass, but bureaucracies are slow ponderous beings who are unable/unwilling to change policies or SOPs. A lot of these entities need a top to bottom review and housecleaning but then unions, special interest groups and others get involved and little or no reform happens. There needs to be someone with vision, courage and authority to make the hard choices to change the system so that these events become part of another sad past chapter in Government to common people relationships.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:03 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Many reasons. A neighbour (retired nurse) in Wpg used to take drug addicted babies and care for them during withdrawl.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I have no idea, and I would not be surprised if this is still happening in other provinces as well.

Not to give anyone a pass, but bureaucracies are slow ponderous beings who are unable/unwilling to change policies or SOPs. A lot of these entities need a top to bottom review and housecleaning but then unions, special interest groups and others get involved and little or no reform happens. There needs to be someone with vision, courage and authority to make the hard choices to change the system so that these events become part of another sad past chapter in Government to common people relationships.
Let’s hope it doesn’t take “another Red River rebellion” to get things done.

@Riverman Drug-addicted babies?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:24 PM

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Jan 14, 2019 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/01/...70923565739338

Why is this still happening in Manitoba??
Seriously, why even make this a race issue, guess it's better to leave a newborn with a drug and booze addicted mom and let the chips fall where they may but god help that something happens to the child it's the govt.s fault! (which is the usual response from a certain ethnic group)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
There are a lot of women with F.A.S.D. Many that just don't have the skill set to reliably raise and protect an infant. This does not mean that this is what has occurred here. I know nothing of this specific situation. I do wish that more effort would be made to have other family members who are capable of raising the children be part of this process earlier in the pregnancy, if necessary.
Some of you guys are so naive, you think CFS doesn't try to keep children with families when they can, trouble is sometimes (most of the time) the families are as big a problem as the birth parents, look at all the missing and murdered First Nations young women who were supposedly being raised by family, sadly (bolded) a lot of the time this is impossible!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea it's a sticky situation. Don't get me wrong, anyone regardless of their race can be susceptible to these kinds of problems but, due to historical reason, a disproportionate number of them happen to be the first nations...

On the other hand, as harsh as it sounds, having a kid while not being able to take care of him/her is (like) asking for that kid to be taken away.

I forgot what my 3rd point is...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:56 PM
I am a typical

60 years from now they're going to have to apologize for the Millennial Scoop.

The mother had arranged for family members to take care of them, they were the family members in the room at the time, preparing to take the baby home to care for it, when CFS came and took it. So no, you can't really convince me that they're doing "everything".

In Ontario, we have separate CFS systems for indigenous and non-indigenous children, but they're both equally racist and corrupt. Taking children away from their parents never works, that's why the kids who stayed with their parents are dysfunctional and struggling while the kids who were taken away are dropouts and criminals. I can't think of very many cases where taking the kids away resulted in success but the horror stories pile up every year. The whole concept seems incredibly flawed but no one wants to change it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Taking children away from their parents never works, that's why the kids who stayed with their parents are dysfunctional and struggling while the kids who were taken away are dropouts and criminals.
In that case, the only standing point will be this, whatever race you're of:
Q: Are you ready to raise a family?
A: If yes -> Proceed!
B: If no -> Refrain! I said, REFRAIN!!

Yay...?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
60 years from now they're going to have to apologize for the Millennial Scoop.

The mother had arranged for family members to take care of them, they were the family members in the room at the time, preparing to take the baby home to care for it, when CFS came and took it. So no, you can't really convince me that they're doing "everything".

In Ontario, we have separate CFS systems for indigenous and non-indigenous children, but they're both equally racist and corrupt. Taking children away from their parents never works, that's why the kids who stayed with their parents are dysfunctional and struggling while the kids who were taken away are dropouts and criminals. I can't think of very many cases where taking the kids away resulted in success but the horror stories pile up every year. The whole concept seems incredibly flawed but no one wants to change it.
You're making assumptions you know nothing about, you think CFS didn't/doesn't assess families for their ability to care for an infant! Sorry but if your drug/booze addicted and pregnant you forfeit your ability to make decisions about your unborn child!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Some of you guys are so naive, you think CFS doesn't try to keep children with families when they can, trouble is sometimes (most of the time) the families are as big a problem as the birth parents, look at all the missing and murdered First Nations young women who were supposedly being raised by family, sadly (bolded) a lot of the time this is impossible!
I have family, close friends and professional contacts who work with CFS staff (cops, lawyers, nurses, social workers) and they tell me the dirt you don't read in the papers.

What they tell me backs up rrskylar 100 per cent. No one relishes the thought of separating a newborn from its mother, but it is being done in a desperate bid to protect the child from neglect or worse.

I guess CFS workers could go and find something else to do and leave the children with their mothers no matter what, but the end result will inevitably be a lot more neglected or dead Indigenous children.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:01 AM
I am a typical

The current result is also neglected and dead indigenous children so I don't see as much of a distinction as you guys do.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If the newborn’s gonna have a bleak future either way, that’s why we heard news about Indigineous women being sterilized. It made the headline a while back IIRC.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 7:22 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Just my 2 cents on the CFS adoption issue.

At one time, most adoptees were European-Canadians.

Wasn't until about 1977 that a trend started to emerge where more and more "kids in care" were Indians (as they were called then).

Now 80-90% of "kids in care" (foster homes) are Native, more than 11,000 just in Manitoba alone (and growing).

Something is broke. Something is wrong when the gubement "steals" Native kids because the Mom is on crack or booze and is being "neglectful".

My solution is to strerilize a percentage of the Native population to help "stem the tide" of future criminals walking the streets of Winnipeg.

Of course the Natives will cry that we're doing this and call "racism". So what, but this is the BEST solution to help keep the Police budget "reasonable" moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 1:52 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

To make it not look racist, we may need to apply sterilization to every race.
Again, I have really mixed feelings about this, and actually lean towards the “against sterilization” side.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:08 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
My solution is to strerilize a percentage of the Native population to help "stem the tide" of future criminals walking the streets of Winnipeg.

Of course the Natives will cry that we're doing this and call "racism". So what, but this is the BEST solution to help keep the Police budget "reasonable" moving forward.
Just so you understand: eugenics (sterilization of non-desirable/non-productive groups of people) is literally one of the central tenets of Nazi ideology. You are literally advocating for something that is, by definition, racist.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
To make it not look racist, we may need to apply sterilization to every race.
Again, I have really mixed feelings about this, and actually lean towards the “against sterilization” side.
Sterilization is a bad thing. Full stop.

As sad and hard to deal with others' poor choices can be, it is far preferable to the alternative.

Humanity has gone down this scary slope before. As soon as we fail to regard life as sacred, we start down a path of darkness.

The best alternative would be to, you know, fix the problem at the source and help those in the depths of addiction. But that requires effort and caring. Our society is somewhat dumb in the sense that we like to pick up the pieces after the fact, despite that being more costly.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The current result is also neglected and dead indigenous children so I don't see as much of a distinction as you guys do.
Just imagine how bad the situation is that the foster system is actually preferable to sending newborns home with some of the mothers out there.

When you can't trust the mother to provide basic life-sustaining care for the child, what choice do the agencies have? Absolutely zero, assuming that the main priority of the agencies is to protect the individual child's best interests, and not to take into considerations the nebulous political goals that other people might have.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 3:49 PM

My cousin has six kids with six different men. She does not work. She has a five bedroom house provided for her, all her children’s medical, dental, eyecare, paid for. They provide her with a massive Hutterite van for transporting the kids. She just met a new man so number seven is guaranteed soon to be on the way, and why not, all she has to do is lay on her back and spread her legs and YAY! More money!! WHY ARE WE PAYING FOR THIS??? At what point can we say “you’ve had two kids and can’t even afford them. NO MORE.” At what point does it become a violation of the rights of taxpaying citizens? I worked with people with FASD. What a horrible disorder. People who suffer from it can become easily agitated, aggressive, and violent. Many of these people do not learn from correction and don’t have the cognitive ability to understand right and wrong. These people put excessive amounts of stress on all of our services from education to police to healthcare and housing, it’s a never ending battle. Knowing there are women out there who have had two or three children with FASD is mind boggling. Education is the key but there needs to be other options too. Court ordered birth control should not be viewed as racist. If you are not responsible enough to have kids you shouldn’t be having them. It’s that simple.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:35 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'd like to know where people get provided with a van.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan