HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Such as most anyone? Two people doing construction at the same cost greatly outweighs one person sitting at a computer creating a gaming app.
Your disdain is misdirected. Software developers might make good money but they are quite low on the totem pole of people whose value adds are grossly disproportional to how much they make.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Such as most anyone? Two people doing construction at the same cost greatly outweighs one person sitting at a computer creating a gaming app.
THIS. Bring in more diverse industries to Austin so it doesn't feel like the whole circus tent is collapsing when on of these tech groups skips town.

and def not jealous of the edgers lmao. So depressing.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
THIS. Bring in more diverse industries to Austin so it doesn't feel like the whole circus tent is collapsing when on of these tech groups skips town.

and def not jealous of the edgers lmao. So depressing.
You really think it feels like the whole circus tent is collapsing? I think you might be blowing this out of proportion.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 6:04 PM

Yeah, that sounds like a wild exaggeration that is completely out of touch with reality.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:12 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Yeah, that sounds like a wild exaggeration that is completely out of touch with reality.
Ridiculous comments by out of touch people on SSP?!? I'm shocked and appalled! Mostly just shocked, though.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
You really think it feels like the whole circus tent is collapsing? I think you might be blowing this out of proportion.
I personally don't feel that way, it's just all I hear from friends and colleagues. I am not at all interested in the tech world.

Bring on more diverse jobs and industries. That's all I meant.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I personally don't feel that way, it's just all I hear from friends and colleagues. I am not at all interested in the tech world.

Bring on more diverse jobs and industries. That's all I meant.
You first

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
You first
Me first what??

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:37 PM

What are the thoughts on the 'skyscraper effect' but on a local scale? For the uninitiated, this the prediction that we'd go into a global recession when the tallest building in the world is constructed. With 6X now complete, we might be in for a recession?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:39 PM

On a related note, I also don't understand the hysteria around Austin's tech scene being in trouble. I work in the tech industry (hardware side) and we are still seeing growth and hiring. It's just more normal growth associated with a mature business rather than the double every year growth we saw a few years back.
On an individual basis, the current environment can be challenging. There is cost cutting going on by companies and it is painful on individual basis but I don't know anyone in Austin who got laid off (and I know quite a few) that didn't land a position within three months. Considering most of them got six months of severance, this is a sweet deal.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:24 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^It's culling the gluttony of the COVID-era hiring. AI is going to continue to aid sales figures for some companies. And, it will assume rolls/jobs in some others.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:41 PM

I believe that Austin has a LONG way to go far as skyscrapers go.

Because of our zoning laws, the population of Austin "proper" may never reach much higher than it is...$1.3m (is my guess in the next 20 years)....but I believe we will see a steady supply of new construction as the years tick by. At least 1-2 skyscrapers breaking ground each year. The burbs, of course, will continue to explode.

Jobs drive the residential real estate market, we all know this. But I believe that retiring Boomers will make a significant impact to our skyline as some of them slowly give up their SFH to purchase condos in vibrant cities. NYC and SF are the best of course, but they are unattainable to most. Austin will always be a more affordable option than the coasts, apples to apples. Many Texas based Boomers who are still active and "fun", will look to our skyline, nightlife, music, comedy, nature...and increasingly shopping....and decide downtown Austin is amazing. As prices moderate in the near term, the sales will only increase. We have seen this movie a few times before. Boomers have the $, and they aren't getting younger.

All of this to say, I think Austin is sitting pretty. And I'm very proud of my city. I know it doesn't appeal to a LOT of people (conservatives who hate Austin, and liberals who hate Texas), and we will have a shit ton of problems to solve, but we are set to grow (downtown) into something unique in the US.

Austin hasn't lost anything. We are not going to turn into Phoenix in my or my children's lifetime, jobs will not dry up, water will not dry up, the musicians will still play, young people will continue to flock here for opportunity, diversity, jobs, and school. Its the young people that make the future of your city bright, and from what I see...the young people LOVE it. (at least till they get older and can't party as much and have a stack of bills....but that's not unique to any generation)

So with all that, I propose the only voter ID requirement that every Austinite must prove is; to be able to sing one Willy song by heart, name any SRV song in 3 notes, own 1 "Hi How are You" t-shirt, and complete the lyric....."who were you thinkin of when you were......" No further identification needed.

Now off to find my Willy songbook......RIP Doug Sahm

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:30 PM
クラブトクヨ

I like your attitude urbancore!

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I believe that Austin has a LONG way to go far as skyscrapers go.

Because of our zoning laws, the population of Austin "proper" may never reach much higher than it is...$1.3m (is my guess in the next 20 years)....but I believe we will see a steady supply of new construction as the years tick by. At least 1-2 skyscrapers breaking ground each year. The burbs, of course, will continue to explode.

Jobs drive the residential real estate market, we all know this. But I believe that retiring Boomers will make a significant impact to our skyline as some of them slowly give up their SFH to purchase condos in vibrant cities. NYC and SF are the best of course, but they are unattainable to most. Austin will always be a more affordable option than the coasts, apples to apples. Many Texas based Boomers who are still active and "fun", will look to our skyline, nightlife, music, comedy, nature...and increasingly shopping....and decide downtown Austin is amazing. As prices moderate in the near term, the sales will only increase. We have seen this movie a few times before. Boomers have the $, and they aren't getting younger.

All of this to say, I think Austin is sitting pretty. And I'm very proud of my city. I know it doesn't appeal to a LOT of people (conservatives who hate Austin, and liberals who hate Texas), and we will have a shit ton of problems to solve, but we are set to grow (downtown) into something unique in the US.

Austin hasn't lost anything. We are not going to turn into Phoenix in my or my children's lifetime, jobs will not dry up, water will not dry up, the musicians will still play, young people will continue to flock here for opportunity, diversity, jobs, and school. Its the young people that make the future of your city bright, and from what I see...the young people LOVE it. (at least till they get older and can't party as much and have a stack of bills....but that's not unique to any generation)

So with all that, I propose the only voter ID requirement that every Austinite must prove is; to be able to sing one Willy song by heart, name any SRV song in 3 notes, own 1 "Hi How are You" t-shirt, and complete the lyric....."who were you thinkin of when you were......" No further identification needed.

Now off to find my Willy songbook......RIP Doug Sahm
I think you are mostly right except about us Boomers. The youngest among us are turning 60; the oldest 80. Most Boomers have been retired for some time, and the generation is now dying off. Austin's recent skyline boom is largely the result of retiring boomers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin