HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:06 PM

I remember back in the 70s, when my dad worked there. ( it was Crown Zellerbach then ), going on a guided tour of the mill and plywood plant. Not sure if it was for employees and family only ,or open to the public. Post #1 of this thread mentioned how valuable that land was back in 2007. I could imagine developers chomping at the bit now !

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 10:55 PM

Hopefully it doesn’t just sit vacant forever. You never know about kelowna they could keep it zoned industrial and have some new industry move in. That would be a total waste. I’d love to see a complete revitalization of the property. Create a park like they have for waterfront park. A nice boardwalk etc and add some high rise buildings on the site. Then clean up the beach adjacent to the mill.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 5:29 PM

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/mill-clo...o-says/it65807

Although Tolko says they are going to wait and see so there are no plans to sell the land. So don’t get your hopes up too High.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:49 PM

I knew someone who worked at Tolko briefly but left because it wasn't the right fit for him. Lots of pressure there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
A 6-storey office / commercial building planned for the Clement Avenue corridor.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/old-kelo...atment/it65670
I like the development. There is an outcry to try to save the building currently there, and I would say in the right neighbourhood totally, but I don't think that particular house in that particular spot is worth saving. I hope City of Kelowna continues to be progressive on this rezoning/development permit process. They typically tend to be.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:53 PM

Nice little commercial/industrial proposal on the former BC Tree Fruits packing site on Clement. Love the 3 storey building fronting Clement.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...strial-complex

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:01 PM

Very nice light industrial building. Reminds me a lot of the redevelopments going up around Mt. Pleasant here in Vancouver. Good to see Kelowna trying to retain jobs in the north end.

Last edited by rdave; Sep 17, 2019 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:09 PM

Kelowna is making a push to attract young people for sure. It seems while the rear building is more suited to industrial, the front building is quite flexible in the uses it can accomodate. Stone countertop showroom and manufacturing? E-Bicycle retail and assembly? A new local coffee roaster/retailer to compete with Bean Scene?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:32 PM

A new Costco location has been submitted for Kelowna, right behind Superstore. I've personally been wanting to see that vacant lot been filled in for years, but I'm not sure if it's the best location for it. It'll be interesting to see what the existing location will be turned into.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/plans-fo...vealed/it65925

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:02 PM

DP drawings:
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0St%201901.pdf

Not the best location but hey Kelowna needed it, especially the gas bar which should help bring gas prices down. I'm shocked by the size of the gas bar -- 24 filling stations -- compared to 12 in Kamloops, 16 in Abbotsford and Langley, and looks like 20 in Prince George? They're probably expecting the gas bar to be wildly busy. Too bad no propane.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
DP drawings:
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0St%201901.pdf

Not the best location but hey Kelowna needed it, especially the gas bar which should help bring gas prices down. I'm shocked by the size of the gas bar -- 24 filling stations -- compared to 12 in Kamloops, 16 in Abbotsford and Langley, and looks like 20 in Prince George? They're probably expecting the gas bar to be wildly busy. Too bad no propane.
Absolutely. The gas bar is great news. Looks like a considerable increase in parking space as well! Too much surface level parking though. Kelowna should look more into underground parking. I understand the water table complicates this for much of the region, but I feel like they often dont even look into it due to costs.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
Absolutely. The gas bar is great news. Looks like a considerable increase in parking space as well! Too much surface level parking though. Kelowna should look more into underground parking. I understand the water table complicates this for much of the region, but I feel like they often dont even look into it due to costs.
They could raise it with parking underneath like Superstore in Richmond (which is at sea level) and Surrey.

Costco San Fransisco is above grade with parking underneath as well as a multi-level parking structure adjacent.

But I think in the end, land values in Kelowna are still low enough that it doesn't make financial sense for them to consider underground parking. Maybe in another 30 years when Costco needs to move once again, or build a second one. People on social media are angry that the Okanagan doesn't warrant having two Costcos yet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:15 AM

Concrete pour happening at Landmark 7 on Monday:

https://okanaganedge.net/2019/09/19/...ark-pour-soon/

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:36 AM

That’s a big office building and looks good. Exciting times for Kelowna. It will be cool to see Kelowna’s skyline in five years from now. Also Victoria’s tallest office building is only 13 stories sadly.

Last edited by vicdevelopments; Sep 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:01 PM

I guess mission group are turning the Brooklyn presentation Center into a presentation Center for the new 33 story high rise they have planned for Bernard block. It’s called Bertram on Bernard block http://www.liveatbertram.com

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 10:53 PM

That would be some good news.

Would be great if they went ahead with the office tower portion of that project too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:50 PM

No pictures unfortunately, but a few drive-by updates:

-Foundation slab is poured at Landmark VII - lot's of crane work going on.
-Brooklyn is framed up for the second floor podium pour.
-Clement Ave is going crazy - several 6 story buildings already framed up.
-Ellis Parc likely topping out in next couple weeks

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
They could raise it with parking underneath like Superstore in Richmond (which is at sea level) and Surrey.

Costco San Fransisco is above grade with parking underneath as well as a multi-level parking structure adjacent.

But I think in the end, land values in Kelowna are still low enough that it doesn't make financial sense for them to consider underground parking. Maybe in another 30 years when Costco needs to move once again, or build a second one. People on social media are angry that the Okanagan doesn't warrant having two Costcos yet.
The Superstore in Kamloops has underground parking because it was built on a site not able to provide enough parking. Land values do play a part, but also size constraints. Parking requirements for these big box stores are high and if you have the area, like it seems Kelowna has then no need to go down. The more built up Kelowna gets and properties zoned for this subdivide and get smaller, you'll start to see more underground parking. Probably not too far off the way Kelowna is going.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:02 AM

Main crane going up at Brooklyn!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:09 AM

Jesus when projects do move forward in Kelowna they go up quick. Is that because of the lack of excavation performed compared to a tower project in Van?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Jesus when projects do move forward in Kelowna they go up quick. Is that because of the lack of excavation performed compared to a tower project in Van?
That seems like the only logical explanation. I think the large desire and positive sales component with Kelowna's developments also plays a part in accelerating the project schedule. It does seem like these go up quicker there. Theres several new tower developments adjacent to where I work in Olympic Village, where the excavation was rather quick, but it takes a good 6-8 months until you actually get to see something rise from the gaping hole.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia