HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Do we have an address for this? Didn’t see one in the article, but saw its on East Ponce and walkable to Avondale Station.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Do we have an address for this? Didn’t see one in the article, but saw its on East Ponce and walkable to Avondale Station.
I believe this is the site.

2688 E Ponce De Leon Ave

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 10:03 PM

Chamblee City Hall rendering

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 3:17 PM

Arthur Blank donating $200M for new Children's Healthcare of Atlanta hospital

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...200m-donation/
Quote:
The Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta has named its newest hospital, located in Brookhaven, for Arthur Blank after a $200 million donation from his foundation.

The Arthur M. Blank Hospital, a $1.5 billion project located near the I-85 and North Druid Hills Road interchange, is set to open in 2025. The donation from the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation is the largest in Children’s Healthcare’s history, according to a press release.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:35 PM

AHS Residential updated renderings for Assembly Yards

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...nts-marta.html

Quote:
Miami-based AHS Residential is seeking to build 840 apartments on the property now known as Assembly, a massive mixed-use development plan with millions of square feet of office towers, apartments, restaurants, retail and entertainment venues. The project has been hailed as having the potential to become an important regional transit-oriented development because it's located at the intersection of Atlanta’s Perimeter, Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and the northern terminus of MARTA in DeKalb County. Assembly is also just a few miles from the DeKalb-Peachtree Airport.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:45 PM

Brookhaven annexes 28 acres for future development

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ealthcare.html
Quote:
Brookhaven continues to expand its borders by adding nearly 28 acres south of Interstate 85, where officials anticipate future development, including hundreds of apartments, a hotel, and office and retail space, will serve the city’s burgeoning healthcare hub.

The newly annexed property is at the high-profile intersection of North Druid Hills and Briarcliff roads, where aging shopping centers and acres of surface parking now exist. The property is also just south of the $2.2 billion development of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta’s new campus at the I-85 and North Druid Hills Road interchange. The more than 70-acre CHOA development includes a $1.5 billion hospital expected to open in 2025. Across the street from CHOA, Emory University is building out a 3 million square feet of medical offices, apartments and commercial space as well as a new hospital. The project’s total cost is $1 billion.

The council also gave the green light for Miami-based residential giant Related Group to construct a mixed-use development on nearly 7 of the 28 acres expected to provide housing and amenities to new employees at CHOA and Emory.

Related Group’s project, named Druid Hills Manor, would include 382 apartments in several 6-story buildings; 55,000 square feet of office, retail and restaurant space in a 4-story building; a 7-story hotel with 140 rooms; and a 7-story parking deck with 745 spaces. Ten percent of the apartments are to be designated workforce housing as part of Brookhaven’s inclusionary zoning law. Related Group is seeking a tax abatement as part of the new development.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:15 PM

More apartments planned near Avondale MARTA station

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...Pos=7#cxrecs_s

Quote:
Northwood Ravin is under contract to buy 715 East College Ave. and several other properties between New and Sam streets, where a few businesses as well as some undeveloped land are located. Besides apartments, the project has 18,000 square feet of retail including 6,000 square foot “neighborhood cowork and café operation,” according to documents filed with the city. Surface and street parking would include 630 spaces.

Northwood Ravin is scheduled to go before the Decatur Planning Commission on Dec. 8.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:43 PM

A grocery there would be huge, though that label may just be conceptual. Easy access to MARTA (and three taverns...), too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 7:46 PM

Gwinnett County to buy Gwinnett Place Mall, development plans unknown

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...NZRDTOS5VU3LE/

Quote:
After years of urging from frustrated residents and business leaders, Gwinnett County commissioners on Tuesday agreed to buy the struggling Gwinnett Place Mall.

The $23 million purchase by Gwinnett’s Urban Redevelopment Agency leaves a lot of questions, including what the plans will be for the 39 acres at I-85 and Pleasant Hill Road near Duluth.

Three of the five county commissioners who approved the purchase are leaving office at the end of the year, and leaving the vision for the property to their successors. Additionally, three anchor tenants will maintain control of their buildings and parking lots, while a fourth anchor — the former Sears ― is owned by a real estate investment firm.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 1:47 AM

Big new mixed-use project proposed in Chamblee

http://https://www.bizjournals.com/a...-chamblee.html

Quote:
A big new mixed-use project is planned on Peachtree Boulevard in Chamblee.

Related Development is proposing 382 apartments, 9,000 square feet of commercial retail/restaurant space, and a parking deck on 5 acres at 5154 and 5180 Peachtree Boulevard and 3462 Sexton Woods Drive in Chamblee, Ga.

The property, located at the intersection of Peachtree Boulevard and Chamblee Tucker Road, is currently occupied by a rug store, auction gallery and floral supply center.

The development would be known as Manor Chamblee.

Related, a Miami-based residential development giant, is active in Atlanta with projects proposed in Brookhaven and in Cobb County.

For Manor Chamblee, Related Development says in plans filed with the city that it "proposes a cohesive redevelopment of the current commercial properties to compliment similar redevelopment efforts along Peachtree Boulevard and fulfill the City's goal of connectivity and pedestrian engagement."

"Given the size and prominent location, the Property provides a prime opportunity to develop new residences and pedestrian-oriented commercial spaces in a mixed-use setting," the company says.

The company says its team "approached the design with particular attention to visual appeal, pedestrian connectivity, streetscape improvements, and impact on surrounding properties."

The project architect is Dwell Design Studio.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Dec 24, 2020 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 2:31 AM

Looks like every apartment complex built in the past 10 years. So glad they approached the design with such care and consideration..... lol

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Looks like every apartment complex built in the past 10 years. So glad they approached the design with such care and consideration..... lol
I consider it a win we are now critiquing design out in Chamblee!

Really excited Chamblee continues to grow. Puts more MARTA accessible, walkable anchor points around the metro. Would love to see more infill come to East Point, too. Great area with a fair amount of industrial nearby that could be redeveloped.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Really excited Chamblee continues to grow. Puts more MARTA accessible, walkable anchor points around the metro. Would love to see more infill come to East Point, too. Great area with a fair amount of industrial nearby that could be redeveloped.
I live in Chamblee, and love it. Check out the entire area along Peachtree Industrial (now Blvd), and the area around the MARTA station. LOT's of changes, they're doing a lot of things right.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 12:55 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I live in Chamblee, and love it. Check out the entire area along Peachtree Industrial (now Blvd), and the area around the MARTA station. LOT's of changes, they're doing a lot of things right.
My old stomping grounds from 40 years ago. I lived at the New Peachtree Apartments on Hood Avenue and had a daily travel odyssey down to my classes at Ga Tech.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
My old stomping grounds from 40 years ago. I lived at the New Peachtree Apartments on Hood Avenue and had a daily travel odyssey down to my classes at Ga Tech.
Cool story, and Merry Christmas Steve! I bought out here in what was then unincorporated DeKalb 25 years ago. I had been renting around the corner from Ansley Mall, but couldn't afford to buy there. Found a cool little condo neighborhood, and have been here since. Love it more than ever, and couldn't afford it now. I used to commute by train Downtown for years and loved it, but switched companies 8 years ago, and now work remotely from San Diego. I have DeKalb and Chamblee in my DNA now.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 4:09 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Cool story, and Merry Christmas Steve! I bought out here in what was then unincorporated DeKalb 25 years ago. I had been renting around the corner from Ansley Mall, but couldn't afford to buy there. Found a cool little condo neighborhood, and have been here since. Love it more than ever, and couldn't afford it now. I used to commute by train Downtown for years and loved it, but switched companies 8 years ago, and now work remotely from San Diego. I have DeKalb and Chamblee in my DNA now.
Merry Christmas to you, too, Atlantaguy!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Not a fan of what's happened to Avondale... or the concept of "transit oriented development" in general... it's an upside-down concept. It should be the other way around, transit orienting around development. A good question to ask might be, "would this development still fit here if it wasn't located next to a transit stop?"

The new development really throws off the scale of the village there. The empty lots were truly awful, but I think everybody got on the bandwagon too quickly with the TOD idea. It hasn't panned out to be what I thought it would be (I was in favor of it too before it was built).

In retrospect, it would have been much better to limit development to 2 or 3 stories, and do as much as possible to break up the lots into smaller pieces, as well as categorically excluding parking decks. And it wouldn't necessarily have to come at the cost of density-- may I remind everyone that Tokyo is one of the densest cities in the world and is mostly 3 story buildings. Density can be accomplished with narower streets and smaller lot sizes.

I think this is a consequence of "bird's eye planning" and will probably become something that will be criticized in the future in reference to 2010s development. With the advent of GIS and Google Maps, we saw things from above in a totally different way, but it led to SIMS style development that completely neglected the real world experiences of people who live in these places. We need to do better in the 2020s.

Quote:

I live in East Point... and I am glad our city council is kicking this stuff to the curb. We don't want it. Y'all have gotten so pie in the sky about running the numbers up (population density, etc.) that you don't see how these projects are ruining the city. Y'all gotta get from behind your screens and spend more time on the ground.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Not a fan of what's happened to Avondale... or the concept of "transit oriented development" in general... it's an upside-down concept. It should be the other way around, transit orienting around development. A good question to ask might be, "would this development still fit here if it wasn't located next to a transit stop?"

The new development really throws off the scale of the village there. The empty lots were truly awful, but I think everybody got on the bandwagon too quickly with the TOD idea. It hasn't panned out to be what I thought it would be (I was in favor of it too before it was built).

In retrospect, it would have been much better to limit development to 2 or 3 stories, and do as much as possible to break up the lots into smaller pieces, as well as categorically excluding parking decks. And it wouldn't necessarily have to come at the cost of density-- may I remind everyone that Tokyo is one of the densest cities in the world and is mostly 3 story buildings. Density can be accomplished with narower streets and smaller lot sizes.

I think this is a consequence of "bird's eye planning" and will probably become something that will be criticized in the future in reference to 2010s development. With the advent of GIS and Google Maps, we saw things from above in a totally different way, but it led to SIMS style development that completely neglected the real world experiences of people who live in these places. We need to do better in the 2020s.

I live in East Point... and I am glad our city council is kicking this stuff to the curb. We don't want it. Y'all have gotten so pie in the sky about running the numbers up (population density, etc.) that you don't see how these projects are ruining the city. Y'all gotta get from behind your screens and spend more time on the ground.

I really don't understand your argument. First, without the transit that is there the development wouldn't even happen so you would continue to have the large lots or underutilized land. If you look at any city that has real mass transit they are dense, especially where stations are. Atlanta is EXTREMELY fortunate to have true heavy rail transit in an area that sprawls so much.

So to answer your question would the development "fit" if not for transit probably no but there would be no development at all either.

Comparing Tokyo to Atlanta is like comparing apples to lug nuts! Cities like that and New York were built in a completely different time so the narrow streets and walkable areas made sense and fit. Atlanta being developed during the boom in car culture is why it is what it is but the goal is to get people back into the lifestyle of walking and doing business in the community without getting on the road to drive every time something is needed.

I agree with the parking deck argument but the only way Atlanta will "narrow" the streets is by removing lanes to allow more on street parking and building denser developments.

I'd love to know how these development are hurting East Point when in actuality there just aren't a lot of developments happening there. May be a reason why....

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 12:46 AM

Atlanta’s “TOD’s” (and several of its projects in general) are massive, block consuming swaths of land. Not standard expectation across the states, but rather a construct of metro Atlanta’s low expectations. If bryantm3 isn’t drunk posting and had read any of my other posts, they’d know to an extent we agree, where I argue for larger projects to be broken into smaller parcels to be developed . They may also know that I’m a daily transit rider of both buses and rail throughout the metro who frequents local commercial nodes.

Blissful ignorance to think East Point won’t grow eventually, though. Population density and money originating from outside Atlanta is already creeping south. Have you looked at the drastic increase of your housing prices, land value, and shift in demographics? I have. Planning for it is smart and east point should absolutely continue to evaluate and update its plans. Because when it comes and if they’re not ready, I agree it is going to absolutely railroad the small town, its affordability, and displace some of the great housing and retail options it possesses.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 7:35 PM

The data suggests East Point is one of few affordable homeownership options remaining ITP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta