HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Where did you hear that? At first this struck me as odd-opening a second location so close to their big restaurant in Eau-Claire? I would have thought they'd chose somewhere south of the track for that. Similar set up to most other chains in the inner-city here(Keg, Moxies, Earls, OJ's) etc.

Now I'm thinking these guys must have been given the heads up about the Eau Claire market re-development. It was also announced recently that another main tenant in the Eau Claire market, GoodLife Fitness, is leasing the bottom two floors of the old Bank of Montreal building on Stephen......
The old A&B sound?

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:31 PM

Too bad if true about Joeys. They've been a big presence downtown for so long it would be nice to see someone new come downtown, like the Cactus Club.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The old A&B sound?
Yeah, I posted an article about it a few pages back.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
Too bad if true about Joeys. They've been a big presence downtown for so long it would be nice to see someone new come downtown, like the Cactus Club.
Joeys and Catcus Club are pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Yeah, pretty soon there will be Earl's/V-Bar, Joey's, the Met and Milestones on Stephen. All are pretty much the same concept.

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
... Well the waitresses dresses are certainly like that

IIRC all the tenant's on at the Eau Claire Market have been on a perpetual one year gross lease since they announced the eventual redevelopment plan of the area .. If Goodlife and Joey's are indeed moving, it's a good chance that this is the last year on those leases for those (and likely other) tenants at the market ... Makes me confident that the demolition and redevelopment of the area is close to happening

I have read rumours that the developer was releasing a new plan for the area this spring, this all certainly seems to add up correctly

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:13 AM
GT Champion

Joeys is supposedly going on the second level above Saltlik. Not a replacement for the Eau Claire location however which I do not believe is going anywhere.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
Joeys is supposedly going on the second level above Saltlik. Not a replacement for the Eau Claire location however which I do not believe is going anywhere.
That makes sense There used to be a club above Saltlik, but the Earl's folks soon tired of the club scene and all the headaches it brought.

Anyone hear anything about Michael Noble opening a place in Inglewood?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:12 AM

Quote:
That makes sense There used to be a club above Saltlik, but the Earl's folks soon tired of the club scene and all the headaches it brought.

Anyone hear anything about Michael Noble opening a place in Inglewood?
National Hotel...

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Joey Tomatoes is opening somewhere on Stephen Ave. Anyone know where this one is going? Possibly the HMV space although that had been rumoured to be a Cactus Club.
I believe it's that new place "local" that just opened up in the old Dakota's space. Rumoured to be owned and operated by the same people who own Joey Tomatoes from what I've heard.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:22 PM

Am I correct in understanding from the folks at Joey that it's not called Joey Tomato anymore and it's simply referred to as Joey (without the "s")?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post
I believe it's that new place "local" that just opened up in the old Dakota's space. Rumoured to be owned and operated by the same people who own Joey Tomatoes from what I've heard.
I tried to get a spot on their patio on friday and was pretty impressed with their space. The Patio was full so I went to Libertine which was pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Am I correct in understanding from the folks at Joey that it's not called Joey Tomato anymore and it's simply referred to as Joey (without the "s")?
That's what I've heard as well.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post
If I recall correctly, all the Local places are part of the Concorde Group and Joey's are owned by the same company that owns Earl's.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:21 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
If I recall correctly, all the Local places are part of the Concorde Group and Joey's are owned by the same company that owns Earl's.
I believe that is correct. Joey's and Earls are owned by two brothers in the Fuller family. Not sure the corporate structure, but there are definitely ties between the two.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I believe that is correct. Joey's and Earls are owned by two brothers in the Fuller family. Not sure the corporate structure, but there are definitely ties between the two.

At one time, the Fullers had a company called Controlled Foods, which also owned the lion's share of A&W restaurants in Canada and all of The Corkscrews. Back in the 80's The Keg bought a big chunk of Controlled Foods, but the Fullers kept Earls. The Keg folks shutdown The Corkscrews and re-opened them a couple of years later as GT or Good Times, which quickly shutdown.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
National Hotel...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:01 AM
GT Champion

Quote:
While sure to confuse many in the coming months, its a different Local. The Local 522,510, Etc are owned by Concorde, the new Local on 8th is from the Joeys group. There are other locations in Vancouver, Edmonton and Medicine Hat.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
While sure to confuse many in the coming months, its a different Local. The Local 522,510, Etc are owned by Concorde, the new Local on 8th is from the Joeys group. There are other locations in Vancouver, Edmonton and Medicine Hat.
That makes sense now. I was wondering how the Concorde Group could open the New National and another Local at the same time. You're right about it confusing many, it has already confused me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 11:09 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I'm told a Smithbilt branded western wear store is going into The Core opposite Michael Kors on the Plus 15 level.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:49 PM

Some Chinook Centre tidbits:

Hugo Boss is opening next to Williams-Sonoma. Huge logo now up on the hoarding.

J. Crew also getting close - slated to open on June 5.

Work on Nordstrom is progressing, the exterior has been stripped down to bare structure.

The huge 2-level Jacob store across from Zara has closed - Jacob has relocated to a small space over towards Target. More than likely this will be the H&M location that was announced a few weeks ago.

Hudson's Bay 2nd floor has about half of the space cordoned off and stripped out. Departments all over the place, children's wear temporarily removed. Its going to be a mess in there until the renovation is complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy