HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:10 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Mods. It would be nice to either lock the thread or suspend everyone who's still bring this thread off topic.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Mods. It would be nice to either lock the thread or suspend everyone who's still bring this thread off topic.
Why punish the whole thread when they can just get out the ban hammer?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Agreed.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Why punish the whole thread when they can just get out the ban hammer?
Such authoritarianism!

In case you haven't lurked here for the past few months, this thread has been a mess because of the super-aggressive supporters of the re-design (STUNNING! spam). Banning occasional off topics posters in this particular instance won't really help, there's literally no meaningful discussion here so It would be best to close the thread until any meaningful news or progress in construction come about.

This forum is very slow and is a lot less active than when I first joined, so throwing ban hammers on people isn't going to solve any problems unless you want to engage is discussion with crickets.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 8:38 PM

All users from this point on who post off topic comments will not be suspended they will be banned.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
2 World Trade Center Will Likely Cost $4 Billion
Thursday, August 6, 2015, by Jessica Dailey

With a construction price tag of $3.8 billion, 1 World Trade Center is the most expensive office building in the world, but it could be surpassed by its neighbor. In a short piece about the tower's financing, the Post notes that 2 World Trade Center will cost $4 billion to construct (that's the same price as Santiago Calatrava's gleaming white oculus). Before this, reports only said that because the tower would be the most complicated of the site, it would be very expensive, but no exact numbers were given. Developer Silverstein Properties is reportedly seeking "an equity partner or mezzanine debt investor" to contribute $500 million to the tab, and the Post says this will likely come from "a pension fund or sovereign wealth fund."

2 World Trade Center is the final tower of the 16-acre complex, and its design was just revealed in June. Previously, the tower was going to be a Norman Foster creation, but when News Corps. and 21st Century Fox signed a non-binding agreement to be the anchor tenant, they wanted to rethink the whole thing, so Silverstein brought in Bjarke Ingels. The new design features a stepped tower with multiple terraces and a glassy curtain wall. It will rise 1,340 feet, making it the second tallest tower of the bunch.

The Post reports that the media giant could sign an official lease by year's end, which would be construction could start next year. So if all goes as planned—and literally nothing has gone as planned with the rebuilding of the World Trade Center—the tower would be complete by 2020.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0..._4_billion.php

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 2:17 AM

Reopening this thread. Behave yourselves.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 2:53 AM

Posted on SSC and thought it should be shared here:

http://www.wtc.com/office-space/2-world-trade-center

2 WTC cut a height cut apparently, it's listed now as 1,270' tall.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 3:52 AM

thanks skyscrapersofnewyork for reopening the thread . . Nice to have it back.
your "$4billion" article (just above) had 2 promising phrases from my viewpoint . .
"non-binding agreement" and "nothing has gone as planned with rebuilding the WTC". . .
so there's still hope of a better alternative.

God bless Ingles - Fox - Silverstein - and you fans of this clumsy stepped design . .
if it indeed does happen . . I'll then try to come around for my own sanity . .
because this monster is going to be mighty hard to ignore . . Maybe I'm wrong about it.
But this Ingles design honestly seems pretentious to me now.

And Let's not all get bent out of shape about politics . . Controversy is inevitable here.
The Trade Center is a debatable - contentious - emotional - and uplifting site.
Architectural design embodies human emotions - aspirations - pride - even politics . .
The glorious old WTC was a terrorist target that stared wars . .
now it's being rebuilt and occupied by a political party's news organization . .

Not to worry . . Our democracy accommodates wild divergent points of view . . .
so does our NYC skyline . . This thread is just as capable . .
Don't take disagreement personally . . Just respectfully lay it out . .
your witty - wild & wooly architectural convictions . . hip hip . .
Feel good about free expression . . and the whole wonderful messy process . .
this is the Big juicy enigmatic Apple.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Exclamation

A Conversation With Janno Lieber

Quote:
Q. You go by the name Janno instead of your given name, John Nathan.

A. I’m universally known as Janno, even though my legal name is John. When someone calls up and asks for John Lieber, I know it’s a telemarketer.

My parents made up nicknames for all their children that were sort of loosely based on the dead European relatives. I have a brother who’s legally James, but he’s known as Jed; I have another brother whose name is George, but he’s known as Theo. My sister was Anne Gabrielle, so she was Angie. Get it?

Q. What’s your main role at World Trade Center Properties?

A. I’m the overall project director of the World Trade Center project for the Silverstein organization, so I’m a bit of a jack-of-all-trades. I do everything from financing to the legal to the design and construction to the P.R. and government relations.

Q. How involved is Larry Silverstein in the organization these days?

A. Very much. Larry’s 84 and he’s definitely taking a little bit more time off than he used to. But wherever he is, he calls, and he’s very, very deeply involved. There’s sort of a slow-motion succession that’s underway with Marty Burger, who’s our C.E.O.

Q. Where are you in this succession?

A. The company has announced internally that I’m going to be the companywide director of development, so I’m technically moving into the role of overseeing all of the development projects.

Q. The World Trade Center projects seem to be moving along quite nicely. Are you pleased with the progress?

A. Very much. After 9/11, everybody wanted us to do something with the World Trade Center that was both commemorative but also to rebuild that area, and that’s being accomplished very successfully.

Q. There’s 7, 4, 3 and 2 World Trade Center. Let’s talk about each of them.

A. No. 7 opened in 2006, and it’s fully leased. Moody’s is around 400,000 square feet. But there are also a lot of interesting, creative tenants, like Fast Company and BMI, the music publisher.

No. 4 opened in November 2013 and it’s about two-thirds leased. The Port Authority is the largest tenant so far, but we also got MediaMath, which is a technology firm. And we just announced four other new tenants. There’s a mix of some financial tenants, but also this new creative group and media.

No. 3 is going to be finished toward the end of 2017. It’s 40-plus stories up right now. It’s a two-and-a-half-million-square-foot building, plus or minus, and it was able to go forward because we made a lease with GroupM, which is a WPP affiliate advertising and technology company. They have about half a million feet. We did almost $2 billion worth of financing in the fall of 2014, so that project’s very much on schedule. It’s moving about a floor a week.

And No. 2 is the recent big news, because 21st Century Fox and News Corp. entities — all the Murdoch companies — have decided to move down there and consolidate all of their space. They’ll take up about half of the building, which is about 2.8 million square feet. It’s the last building on the site that will be built, and I think it will be the capstone of this transition of downtown from old financial services that kind of roll up the sidewalks at 5 o’clock to the new downtown, which is very much the creative businesses.

Q. Have you started working on No. 2?

A. Actually, the new building is being designed. The old design didn’t work for Fox. It’s being redesigned so they can have their studios and newsrooms.

The building will be close to 100 floors. They’re taking the bottom half.

Q. When will you be breaking ground on that building?

A. We have to complete the lease with Fox and do the financing. That’ll happen in the next year.

We’re talking to other tenants already — there are significant tenants that are interested because they think the design is supercool. It’s by this young architect named Bjarke Ingels.

From our standpoint, it’ll be mostly done in 2019, but it has to open for Fox to operate about halfway through 2020.

Q. What kinds of rental rates per square foot are you getting for these buildings?

A. I’m not going to talk about specific leases, but we’re doing leases in the $70s and $80s, and rents are continuing to rise.
=============================
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/re...s&emc=rss&_r=3

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:35 AM

"Close to 100 floors".

It sounds like they might make this building taller than it is currently being planned. Is that even remotely possible?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah its possible. While we know Ingels design will happen, its still being designed and tweaked so I'm hoping we get surprised with a height boost or something nice. Time will tell, but its good to hear it from somebody who's in the know.

If they improve on the existing concept of a design, and add even more, its a win-win. But it could be a rearrangement of the floors and different floor heights which would give us a 100 floors and technically a height of 1300+. Whatever they do, its probably for the best. Think big or go home.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Reopening this thread. Behave yourselves.
Thanks! Please stay on topics and followed the rules. Be respectful to others.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
"Close to 100 floors".

It sounds like they might make this building taller than it is currently being planned. Is that even remotely possible?
That was sloppy wording. The official "height" will be around 100 floors, using "floor" as a unit of measurement, not an actual floor count. And that will start from the lowest basement level. WTC1 did that using 13'4" as the definition of floor, since that was the height of most of it's office floors.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Unfortunately this will be known as Red Neck Tower if Fox News does move in.
This comment was in poor taste.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some have distain for the new design, but I think it's a winner.

The whole idea of a building comprised of stacked blocks is very cosmopolitan...it captures the essence of a modern city.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 1:53 PM

^I, for one, agree with you entirely.
The Design is refreshing and really breaks the mold for city skycrapers while still fitting into New York.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
This comment was in poor taste.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some have distain for the new design, but I think it's a winner.

The whole idea of a building comprised of stacked blocks is very cosmopolitan...it captures the essence of a modern city.
The disdain is quite simply about a design that has poorly conceived solutions to poorly perceived problems. Good design has well thought out rational to the problems they are trying to solve. All 2 WTC has is gimmickry.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
All 2 WTC has is gimmickry.
And the original design wasn't? The design was specifically changed by the client to meet their needs, so it seems pretty obvious the idea was more than just a gimmick. They certainly added an artistic element, but it was pretty clearly added around the desired floor plan, not in place of the desired floor plan.

And let's be honest, the entire concept of a supertall is a gimmick. It's never the utilitarian choice, only one that countries, companies and architects make to show off their prowess to the world. A giant rectangular prism would be cheaper and more efficient, but that's not the point of a supertall so why even bash a supertall for not being utilitarian?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
The disdain is quite simply about a design that has poorly conceived solutions to poorly perceived problems. Good design has well thought out rational to the problems they are trying to solve. All 2 WTC has is gimmickry.
I am aware of the meaning of good design.

What I'm unaware of is where you believe 200 Greenwich falls short.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2015, 8:54 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
here we go again

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction