HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Its only one floor different...it may be a technical level...it may be a rounding issue...If its was 89 vs 95...we'd have more of an issue...but its 89 vs 90. I'm sure it will be resolved.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Its only one floor different...it may be a technical level...it may be a rounding issue...If its was 89 vs 95...we'd have more of an issue...but its 89 vs 90. I'm sure it will be resolved.
^Top two floors are mechanical, plus they skip the 13th floor in the hotel because of superstition. So both answers are correct. The top residential floor is 88, but it is the 87th floor technically. Adding two mechanical floors to 88 gives you 90, but taking into account the fact that the 13th floor is skipped, the top floor is technically the 89th floor.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
^Top two floors are mechanical, plus they skip the 13th floor in the hotel because of superstition. So both answers are correct. The top residential floor is 88, but it is the 87th floor technically. Adding two mechanical floors to 88 gives you 90, but taking into account the fact that the 13th floor is skipped, the top floor is technically the 89th floor.

Got it!! Alright, thanks!

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:58 AM
devout Pizzatarian

here's a shot from the marina city roof deck.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

This is going to be such the money shot.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:52 AM
Chicago 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

How much taller will WV be than that building approximately?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:03 AM

They were laying rebar for the next floor:

It doesn't come out in the pictures, but the floor on the east side slopes down an entire story towards the river. That's parking ramp I assume?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
They were laying rebar for the next floor:

^^^ They are using green epoxy-coated rebar there on the floor. Will that be done just on the basement levels or on all garage levels because of the salt?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:51 AM
Here we stAy

I'm sooo jealous of you place, steely.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:10 AM

I still cannot believe a 1000' building is being built on that lot - I love it!

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:35 PM
TL;DR

This is also perhaps the most cramped site on which a supertall has ever been built. Be patient, everybody.

It's not gonna skyrocket once it gets vertical, either, but once some of the lower spaces are complete, maybe the construction crews can store materials and offices in there. This would ease site congestion, and allow materials to be raised to the top from the alley. Currently, the construction offices are on stilts above the alley, so that impairs lifting through the airspace above.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not gonna skyrocket once it gets vertical, either, but once some of the lower spaces are complete, maybe the construction crews can store materials and offices in there. This would ease site congestion, and allow materials to be raised to the top from the alley.
I'm thinking that this will seem to rise quickly, just because we're so used to slow visible progress.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:20 PM

I don't know ... the floorplates will be relatively small. It may go up faster than you think once it gets above the first couple of floors from ground level. If you look at the Murano in Philadelphia, another poured concrete building with small floorplates, you'll see the same thing ... that building seems to be adding a floor every 4 days or so starting from about the second or third floor above ground.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

LOL, if that's the case here, it'll end up that this thing was in excavation for about half of the schedule.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:02 AM

I don't remember it ever being cleared up if Shangri-La was putting money into this project... here is something from the HK Standard that suggests it isn't...

Shangri-La in first US hotel investment

Kelvin Wong

Friday, May 11, 2007

Shangri-La Asia (0069), the region's biggest luxury hotel operator, has agreed to invest for the first time in the US hotel market, committing to a project on New York's Park Avenue.

The company will manage and take a 26 percent stake in the 206-room hotel to be named Shangri-La, New York, Elizabeth Demotte, a spokeswoman for the Hong Kong-based company, said in an interview Thursday. The hotel, scheduled to open in 2010, will cost between US$500 million (HK$3.9 billion) and US$550 million to build including buying the land, she said.

Shangri-La, controlled by Robert Kuok Hock-nien, is expanding beyond its home market in Asia into North America, where it manages five hotels, and Europe.

US business travel will grow about 1 to 2 percent in 2007, according to the Travel Industry Association.

"Having a presence in a first-tier city in the West is important," said Ken Yeung, a Hong Kong-based analyst at BOCI Securities. "Right now they may not be too familiar with the market there, but I'd expect them to take a bigger share in projects in Europe and North America in the future."

The project will be financed by shareholder equity and debt, Demotte said. RFR Holding, a New York-based investment company and a client of ING Clarion Partners that was not identified, are the other investors in the project, according to a press release.

Shangri-La manages hotels in Chicago, Miami, Toronto, Vancouver and Las Vegas. Worldwide, Shangri- La has stakes in 37 hotels with 19,385 rooms, the company said.

Shares of Shangri-La rose 3.2 percent to end Thursday at HK$21. The stock has gained 4.7 percent this year, compared with a 3.9 percent increase in the benchmark Hang Seng Index.

The group, which manages 50 hotels, said in March that 2006 profit climbed to US$202.2 million from US$151 million a year earlier, mainly because occupancy rates improved and it charged more for rooms.

BLOOMBERG

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:19 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Will there be a visible clearance between the LaSalle/Wacker building and Waterview Tower. I'm just wondering if the eastern exposed windows on the LaSalle building will be bricked-in or left open. I guess it depends on the amount of clearance, but it does not look like there will be much. Anybody have a clue?

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:10 PM

When this project broke ground, the schedule was for completion in 2009. That schedule is still accurate as far as I am concerned and all appears to be going as planned even though it seems slow. I'm as anxious as everyone to see this get up and out of the hole which should be soon.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:44 PM

Is it possible that the developer may not be in a hurry since demand and prices continue to rise? Maybe it was just planned like this, but it seems like a decent possibility to me.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
Is it possible that the developer may not be in a hurry since demand and prices continue to rise? Maybe it was just planned like this, but it seems like a decent possibility to me.
No.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:35 PM

Well, how many floors are below ground, which floor are they at (if any) and how long does each sub-terranean floor take to complete? I'd expect this building to reach Upper Wacker sometime this summer, or at least I hope so.

Also, in the pictures what is the purpose of all those brown pipes going into the core?

Thanks for answering this hopefully soon-to-be Chicagoan's questions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive