HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 1:57 AM
Missing the Gorges

Yeah, I've gotta be honest Ex, I don't find the idea of the indoor mall/outdoor lifestyle center very appealing. But if there's a market for it, I guess they can go ahead, but I hope it doesn't compete too much with the Commons.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:22 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Oh, it's a direct slap in the face of the Commons, or at least the Ithaca Downtown Partnership's hope to bring more quality retail to the Commons. Sad to say, but the parking issue (free at the mall, crazy downtown) is probably one of the deciding factors for many shoppers. There's also the big box stores at the mall and off Meadow street which hurts downtown too. Though I guess Ithaca is not the only city going through that kind of war.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:50 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Here's a review of the current major project downtown (from the Cornell Sun newspaper):

$30 Million Project Fosters Urban Renewal Downtown
Print: Email: Share: November 19, 2007 - 12:00am
By Cara Sprunk
Ithaca continues its effort to revitalize the downtown area with the Cayuga Green project, which will contribute to both commercial and residential growth.

Gary Ferguson, the executive director from Ithaca Downtown Partnership, described the “large downtown redevelopment project, the largest in downtown history at a cost of over $30 million. The project, he said, consists of four parts, the first of which is already in operation. The parking facility across from the Holiday Inn, near the Commons, was the initial site for this initiative.

“The first floor has commercial space with currently one tenant, but 23,000 square feet for commercial development,” Ferguson said.

“These parking garages are for multi-uses, not just for parking,” he continued, which will allow for commercial expansion in downtown Ithaca.

The second aspect of the project will focus underneath the current Green Garage. As with the first initiative, the second aspect of the project will provide commercial space on the first floor, namely a five-plex movie theater.

“We will be combining Cinemapolis and Fall Creek Pictures,” Ferguson said.

The new theater, will keep the name Cinemapolis, and will continue to show independent and art films, the kind of films Ferguson dubbed as “Academy Award-winners.”

The new theater will offer no competition for the new Regal Pyramid Mall 10, as the two theaters show very different films.

Lynn Cohen, the co-Executive director, of Cinemapolis and Fall Creek Pictures, is looking forward to the new theater.

“We are mostly very happy about it because we can offer a better viewing experience,” Cohen said. “We have 21 years experience in doing what we’re doing, and we know the Ithaca experience, so this feels comfortable.”

The new theater offers a cozy feeling, just like both theaters currently have, while expanding for a larger audience.

“The largest screen we have now will be the smallest in this new theater,” Cohen said. “It won’t be as a big a commercial theater, but will be bigger than now.”

“People are fond of the theaters, and when the people try the new theater we expect them to be even fonder,” Cohen said.

The new theater is expected to garner a larger audience.

“I’m looking forward to a new and even better theater to go to this spring. I love independent films and the new Cinemapolis will be a great alternative to Regal,” Mariel Eisenberg ’10 said.

This aspect of the development project will additionally offer a walkway from The Commons to Green St. underneath the parking garage, offering a new Commons entrance.

The theater should be ready by spring 2008.

The third part of the project will begin with construction for residential space.

“We are building 68 units of market-rate apartments opening next fall in a five-story building including 12,000 square feet of retail space,” Ferguson said.

The new building will look very different from other buildings in the area, Ferguson explained, and will have a Scandinavian look with glass and wood panels.

The final component of the development project will consist of 45 condominium units, to be built on Clinton St. in the middle of the Cayuga-Green block beginning next spring.

While Cornell did not supply any funding for this project, Ferguson does credit the University for its inspirational role.

“Cornell’s interest in the Seneca Place building laid a lot of the ground work for us moving forward, sort of a stimuli for getting the rest of the block done,” said Ferguson.

“Cayuga-Green was an area part of an urban-renewal project from the late 60s and early 70s when everything on the block was demolished.” Ferguson said.

The rest of the block was created as a redevelopment site, he explained.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 11:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Never been to one of these stores.

Clothier hits mall running
Steve & Barry's holds opening of Ithaca store on ‘Black Friday'
By Topher Sanders
Journal Staff

LANSING — Merchandise was still being pulled out of boxes and shelves were still being stocked at the new Steve & Barry's retail store Friday in the Shops at Ithaca Mall.

The clothing store, which specializes in college paraphernalia and sportswear, chose the biggest shopping day of the year to open its new Ithaca-area store in hopes of taking advantage of the increased foot traffic on “Black Friday,” which traditionally begins the holiday shopping season.

“I think it's a very good idea,” said Kathy Hull of Ithaca who was shopping with her two daughters Kailey, 16, and Lauren, 18. “When we first came to the mall I didn't think they were open yet, but it's a fun store and a good day to open.”

Retail analyst Michael McNamara with MasterCard Advisors expects Black Friday sales to hit $20 billion, he told CNN. That estimate represents 5 percent of holiday sales and exceeds last year's Black Friday sales of $19.1 billion, McNamara told CNN.
Hull and her daughters said they weren't put off by the sparse clothing displays and boxes in the store.

“It's good prices for good clothing,” Lauren Hull said.

A corporate spokesman for Steve & Barry's said the opening of the story was meant to give shoppers a taste of their product.

“We pay much more attention to our customers than dates on a calendar,” said Howard Schacter, chief partnership officer for Steve & Barry's, in an e-mail. “As soon as we can open a new store we do it so shoppers can take advantage of our astonishing values as fast as possible. We wanted to meet the demands of the customers and have opened the store in less than perfect condition so customers can take advantage of our astonishing values and exclusive merchandise.”

Steve & Barry's joined other retailers filled with eager customers. All over the mall, shoppers clamored for sales and bargains.

“The mall has been busy since 5 a.m. this morning and the traffic has remained steady throughout the day and has actually exceeded our expectations,” said Amy Hall, marketing director for the Shops at Ithaca. “There have been studies that said this holiday season was going to be lighter than in the past but we haven't seen that today. With rising gas prices, I think it's actually possible that people are staying closer to Ithaca to do their shopping and not going to Syracuse or Binghamton.”

cbsanders@ithacajournal.com

Originally published November 24, 2007

Old Posted Nov 26, 2007, 1:18 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Now for some of the bad side of the city (and btw, I doo believe there are gangs in Ithaca - not like the Bloods & Crips, but bad guys just the same)

Experts see gang-like behavior in Fall Creek assaults
By Raymond Drumsta
Journal Staff

ITHACA — The Fall Creek assaults on Halloween and a similar attack over the summer bear the markings of street-gang behavior, according to gang experts who have reviewed case information released by the Ithaca Police.

John Klofas, a professor of criminal justice at Rochester Institute of Technology who has studied gang behavior, said the attacks are gang-related.

“These guys are assaulting and robbing people,” Klofas said. “That's the definition of a street gang.”

Klofas, who has written extensively about gangs and recently helped garner a $2.5 million federal grant to help fight gang-related crime in Rochester, speculated the attacks may have been some sort of gang initiation, though it isn't any type he's seen before. But whether it was gang initiation or not is irrelevant.
“This is gang behavior,” he said. “It has to be shut down. You have innocent people on the street being beaten. They could hurt someone very badly with that behavior.”

Summer attack
The victim of the attack over the summer has come forward, meanwhile, and described the assault and robbery he suffered as determined, vicious and well-organized.
It was just after midnight on July 28, when the victim — a man in his early thirties who moved to Ithaca five years ago — was attacked. He was walking east on Court Street, he said, approaching a group of four to five black males and a black female “in the middle of street, not going anywhere.”

“They seemed to take notice of me, which made alarm bells go off in my head,” he said.

His fears faded, however, when the group parted to let him by, he said. At that point, he removed his glasses to wipe the rain off them, and one of the youths — about 15 years old, and one of the younger ones in the group — asked him for the time, he said.

As he glanced down at his cell phone for the time, he saw the 15-year old draw back to hit him. That's when the attack began in earnest, with the youths surrounding him and punching him from all sides, the victim said.

“Clearly the timing was coordinated,” the victim said. “I was hit three to four times before I had a chance to hit back. It was pretty effective.”

He tried to fight back, he added, and even locked arms with one attacker, but was forced to cover his head in self-defense.

“I was knocked to the ground, and they continued to punch and kick me while I was on the ground,” he said.

The attack subsided, and something occurred that further confirmed that the attack was organized, the victim said.

“I noticed their feet had stopped,” he said. “They seemed to pause, and I heard someone say, ‘get the wallet.' The people who were beating me were trying to get me on the ground. The person who said to get the wallet seemed to be directing the attack.”

They didn't demand the wallet initially, and the robbery seemed like an afterthought, ordered by someone in the background, he recalled.

He characterized the attack as an ambush, and said the robbery order was the only thing uttered during it, besides the request for the time, which seemed to initiate the attack.

“They weren't yelling at me or talking to each other, which makes me think it was pretty planned out.”

With his lips and cheek swollen and bloody, his right eye nearly swollen shut, his glasses broken and his leg and elbow bruised, the man gave up his wallet, which held his credit cards and about $100. His assailants fled west on West Court Street, and a witness to the assault saw them running north on North Plain Street.

Police found most of the stolen items nearby and two of the credit cards on the lip of a storm drain at Fourth and Madison Streets. The victim was treated at Cayuga Medical Center.

“When I read about what happed on Halloween, it seemed like the same kind of incident, and maybe the same suspects,” the victim said.

“The Halloween incidents brought it all back to the forefront. What might have been a single, hot-summer night incident clearly is not.”

Similar attacks
The Fall Creek attacks occurred while trick or treaters were making the rounds. In four separate incidents — between 8 and 8:46 p.m. — a group reported to police as black youths, mostly male, approached individual victims and punched them in the face or head, police said.
The reported number of assailants in each assault ranged from five to 10. In some incidents, the assailants were described as wearing dark hooded sweatshirts. While most of the victims declined medical attention, all suffered minor head injuries.

In the last attack on Halloween — which seems identical to the July assault — a group of approximately 10 black, male teenagers approached a 17-year-old male in the 200 block of Marshall Street about 8:46 p.m. One of the teens, described as 5-foot-10 with a light complexion and slim build, approached the victim, asked the time, and punched him in the face three times.

As in the July assault, other suspects in the group joined in, knocking the victim to the ground. The victim suffered bruises to the face, and his watch and cell phone were taken. The assailants fled on foot in an unknown direction.

The four incidents are related, or the suspects in some or all of the attacks may be the same people, the Ithaca Police Department said.

Deputy Ithaca Police Chief John Barber said it is not known whether the attacks were gang-related or racially motivated. Police would not disclose races of the victims.

RIT professor Klofas described the incidents as “swarm-style” robberies and assaults. Gang behavior is not necessarily organized or linked to national gangs, he said.

“It could be kids growing up together and then committing crimes together, he said.

Though a more detailed investigation is required, the serial nature of the attacks seem to point toward gang behavior, said Moses Robinson, the president of the Western New York chapter of the East Coast Gangs Association, who teaches law-enforcement officers about criminal street gangs.

“When you see five or more people attacking one person, that's a gang,” he said. On the other hand, he added, impulsive, violent group behavior isn't unprecedented.

Robinson encourages people to see gangs as something with roots in child-development behavior.

For example, all children join and form groups and want to be part of a winning team, he said. So local youths may be imitating national gangs such as the Bloods and Crips, Robinson said — a phenomenon which is occurring nationwide.

That's why the use of national gang symbols does not necessarily indicate a link to those gangs, Robinson said. Called tagging, Crips and Bloods symbols have been seen painted in graffiti around Ithaca, police said.

The July and Halloween attacks could have been a form of gang initiation, Robinson speculated.

“It sounds like an initiation,” he said. “Gang initiation is all about showing strength, courage and loyalty.”

Another definition
“Just because people — as a group — decide to commit a crime, does not make them a gang,” said acting Ithaca Police Chief Ed Vallely. “Gangs are typically involved in schemes to raise money, sometimes illegally. That's more of a gang than a group of individuals who get together and may or may not commit crimes. I don't believe we have gangs in Ithaca, by that definition.”
Gangs, he said, are organized and have leaders and command staff.

“That does not appear to be the case this time,” he said, referring to the attacks. “These individuals were together when they committed this crime. It's possible for people, as a group, to act spontaneously.”

The Fall Creek attacks are similar to the July attack, he added, but they don't seem to be related to any other crime in the city.

Like Robinson, Vallely thinks the gang graffiti in Ithaca may be people imitating national gangs.

“The symbols of these gangs are so available in pop culture, that any individual with a can of spray paint could imitate them,” he said.

Nonetheless, the investigation into the attacks is ongoing, he said. There have been developments in the case, he added, but would not disclose details.

“We anticipate solving it,” Vallely said. “When we do, we'll be able to answer these questions.”

A changed perspective
The victim of the July attack still finds it upsetting to talk about — though not as upsetting as dealing with his insurance company, he said jokingly.
He called the Ithaca Police when he read about the Fall Creek attacks, he added, and an investigator told him they also noted the similarities.

“The police seemed to be surprised that this would happen in Ithaca,” the victim said. “They said it's rare in Ithaca for an assault victim not to know their attacker.”

His friends and family were shocked when they heard about the attack on him, he said.

“My family worries more about my sister, who lives in New York City,” he said.

Since he grew up in the country, in a place without sidewalks, walking was part of his life, he said. He's had to drive everywhere in other places he's lived, and he used to tell people that he liked Ithaca because he could walk everywhere, he said.

The attack changed his life, the victim said.

“I used to walk around town all hours of the night without a second thought,” he said. “After having to drive everywhere, it was nice to park the car in the driveway and not have to use it. That's changed. I don't feel comfortable walking every where I need to go anymore.”

rdrumsta@ithacajournal.com

Originally published November 24, 2007

Post a Comment View All Comments

Here's a link to the comments section of this article from the "enlightened" citizens of Ithaca:

http://forums.theithacajournal.com/v...ic.php?t=10857

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:47 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Some good news:

Tompkins airport takes flight
Boarding numbers hit 7-year high
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

LANSING — Whether it's gas prices inching toward $3.50 a gallon, unruly driving conditions or convenience, the Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport's enplanements for October are the highest they've been in seven years.

Nationally the numbers are up as well, but the volume of passengers flying in or out of Ithaca is close to double the national increase, airport manager Bob Nicholas said.

He said it looks as if the recovery from the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks is complete based on statistics that show plane loads averaging nearly 75 percent capacity per flight compared to 50 to 56 percent between 2002 and 2005. The percentage rose slightly for October in 2006.

Tammy Graham, a travel agent with AAA Stone Travel Agency Inc., said she hasn't been booking any more flights into or out of Ithaca than she has in her previous nine years as a travel agent.
“My feeling is, no, I'm not selling more out of Ithaca because it's an economy thing and it's a money thing. Everything's gotten expensive,” Graham said, adding that travelers are looking to save when they can, where they can.

“Driving back and forth to Syracuse is what, a couple gallons of gas?” Graham said. “It's really nothing when you save hundreds of dollars on a ticket.”

Nicholas doesn't disagree outright but pointed to several factors that might have people choosing to fly from Ithaca.

“We've done surveys, and it's not really consistent,” he said. “I've talked to various people — US Airways' manager and Northwest's manager. The disparity between the ticket prices (between Ithaca and Syracuse) has gotten a lot smaller, there's the factor of weather, which is more prevalent in the winter than the summer, and the price of gasoline.”

It may simply be that flying from Ithaca is just so convenient, Nicholas said. He pointed out that shorter lines allow passengers to arrive at the airport much later than they would have to at an airport like Syracuse.

Nicholas said passengers often have to arrive up to an hour and a half early in Syracuse compared to the 15 minutes you might need to get through security at Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport.

“If you look at it like that, it's three hours of your time without factoring in the cost of gasoline and wear and tear on the car. Parking is more expensive up there as well. A number of things make it worthwhile to travel from here,” he said.

A survey conducted by Courtney Consulting listed convenience, parking and shorter lines at ticket counters and through security as the top three reasons for flying in or out of Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport.

The survey ran from Oct. 27 to Nov. 13 and yielded 39 percent more responses than last year's survey.

Business travelers flying in and out of Ithaca likely find the convenience particularly worthwhile, Graham said.

“People have to get to certain meetings at a certain time of day,” Graham said. “A lot of times it doesn't get (business travelers) to their meetings on time so they come a day early. The convenience of Ithaca is great. It's close. It's small. It's fast. It's all about convenience. When it works, it works perfect.”

Graham indicated that business travelers are often less worried about higher ticket prices than casual travelers.

“Having quality air service is an important community service and a crucial facilitator of economic growth,” said Tompkins County legislator Nathan Shinagawa, vice chair of the Air Service Board. “In terms of economic growth, a strong and widely used airport shows potential investors and businesses that we in Tompkins County are serious about supporting the kind of infrastructure that's needed for local businesses to grow and succeed.”

With the number of fliers at the highest point since October 2000, the airport has grown more profitable through parking fees, dining and car rentals, but it is the airlines that benefit the most. That can lead to the addition of flights and destinations, and increases the likelihood of other airlines being added to the airport.

“There's a discussion about what is the optimum number of airlines,” Nicholas said. “You don't want to reach a point where you've got too many airlines. If that happens the airlines go away again.

“What we're trying to do is consolidate the service we have now and perhaps instead of pushing for another airline, (we can) push for more services from the airlines we've got. That makes the airlines we have profitable and makes the services they provide better.”

US Airways has flights to and from Philadelphia and La Guardia in New York City. Northwest Airlines flies to and from Detroit. Nicholas said there are 12 departures and 12 arrivals a day.

He said Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport is talking to Northwest about increasing the number of flights to Detroit and to US Airways about another destination, though he did not specify where.

tashmore@ithacajournal.com

Originally published November 28, 2007

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 3:15 AM
Missing the Gorges

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps...711280339/1002

Gun site developer moving ahead
Planning board also discusses pair of CU issues
By Krisy Gashler
Journal Staff

Plans for re-development of Ithaca Gun are moving forward, developer Frost Travis reported to Ithaca's Planning Board Tuesday night.

Travis and property owner Wally Diehl are proposing to demolish the former gun factory and build 33 high-end townhouse condos and a public walkway from Lake Street to the gorge overlook.

The asbestos- and lead-contaminated former gun factory has been condemned by the Ithaca Fire Department, and the site and city land adjacent to the site near Ithaca Falls are heavily contaminated with lead, despite a $4.8 million federal cleanup effort from 2002-04.

City officials estimate that additional cleanup will cost $2.4 million.
Common Council voted in September to apply for two state grants to pay for environmental remediation on the site. The city has already applied for one, Restore NY, and it could hear whether it has received the grant as early as mid-December and no later than Dec. 31, according to Nels Bohn, director of community development for the Ithaca Urban Renewal Agency.

The city is also pursuing an Environmental Restoration Program grant that would pay for environmental cleanup of the soil on the site and on adjoining city land.

Travis said he and city staff met with regional officials from the Department of Environmental Conservation, which oversees the Environmental Restoration Program grant, to receive advice on applying for the grant, and preliminary environmental sampling on the site was scheduled to occur Tuesday.

Milstein Hall
Only one citizen spoke during the public scoping session on the environmental impact statement for Cornell's proposal for Milstein Hall and the Central Avenue Parking Garage.
Cornell music professor Martin Hatch argued that visual aesthetics should be included in the environmental impact statement, particularly the “consonance of a building to its context.”

Milstein Hall — designed by Rem Koolhaas and his Office of Metropolitan Architecture — will physically connect Sibley and Rand halls, and jut across University Avenue toward the Foundry.

The proposed design for Milstein Hall is very modern, with extensive floor-to-ceiling glass. The existing buildings in the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, which Milstein Hall is intended to connect, are historic and significantly different architecturally.

Hatch argued that Milstein Hall represents a “mechanism for achieving a kind of statement, star statement, of drama, architectural ego — a fulfillment of architectural ego without any consideration of context or public good.”

Individuals who wish to comment on the environmental impact statement scoping document — the document that determines what will be studied in the impact statement — can submit comments to the Department of Planning and Development until 4:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7. For more information, call the planning department at 274-6550.

Cornell also received preliminary site approval for its proposed addition to the Herbert F. Johnson Museum. The university will seek final site plan approval at the Planning Board's meeting Dec. 18.

Cornell transportation
David Lieb, assistant director for public information for Cornell transportation, presented on Cornell's Transportation-focused General Environmental Impact Statement (t-GEIS).
In its efforts to “move more people with fewer vehicles,” Cornell has undertaken an extensive study of transportation patterns of university employees, graduate students and undergraduates.

Lieb reported that 45 percent of Cornell employees commute to campus using a form of transportation other than the “single-occupancy vehicle.” This compares to a national average of 25 percent.

Of university employees, 25 percent commute to Cornell from outside Tompkins County, 40 percent live in the county but outside the city and town of Ithaca. Twenty percent live in the town of Ithaca and 15 percent in the city.

Lieb said the university is exploring ways to further encourage alternative means of transportation, including park-and-ride lots outside the city and possibly paying employees not to bring their cars to campus.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 12:20 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Just a follow-up with some more info to Vis' post(from the Cornell Sun, though the proof reader should learn how to spell rejuvenate )

Clean-up, Construction to Rejuvinate Ithaca Gun Site
Print: Email: Share: November 30, 2007 - 12:00am
By Molly OToole
Carefully climbing a rusty ladder, missing rungs, gives access to the upper roof of the Ithaca Gun Factory. The panoramic view of Cayuga Lake, extending to the horizon, is partially blocked by a smoke stack reading “Ithaca Guns” in white brick. The stack rises above the remains of this Gun Hill area which has been a community landmark since 1880. It may not stand for much longer.

The Ithaca Gun Factory site has had half a dozen owners in its over 125 years of existence. Despite evidence of hazardous contaminants and demands from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, the Environmental Protection Agency and the City of Ithaca for its remediation and demolition, the site, though fallen into dangerous disrepair, still stands at at 121-125 Lake Street. Allowing the site to exist has been determined hazardous, but saving the site thus far has been determined financially unfeasible.

The building was condemned and ordered to be demolished by City Building Commissioner Phyllis Radke in March of 2006.

A fire in August of 2006 and recent testing revealing still-present and significant lead levels conducted through the collaboration of Cornell student Myles Gray ’06 and Walter Hang, president of Toxics Targeting, have renewed efforts at finding a solution for the site. Hang expressed his support for projects proposed for remediation and redevelopment for the site.

“The project was sitting there going nowhere; it was only a matter of time before a fire,” he said. “But it didn’t change the Common Council’s mind, and that’s why nothing happened.”

Since the bankruptcy of the Ithaca Gun Company, the property has been handed down through several owners. Following the failure of multiple plans for its remediation and redevelopment due to financial infeasibility, the City of Ithaca is now working with the private owner Wally Diehl, practice owner and manager of Fall Creek Redevelopment, LLC. Diehl is collaborating with the local development firm Travis and Travis Development, LLC and O’Brien and Gere Engineers, Inc. to come to a cooperative solution using both private and public funds for the site.

Frost Travis gave a brief chronology of ownership for the site. According to Travis, after the Ithaca Gun Company went bankrupt, the factory served as storage for a construction company until the whole parcel was bought by State Street Associates L.P. II. The company also does business as Gun Hill Residences, a property they own across Lake Street from the gun factory site.

“In 2001 Wally Diehl was interested in developing the site,” said Travis. “But he didn’t take title of the property until 2006.”

Diehl’s original proposal for redevelopment of the site consisted of 160 residential units in a seven story structure with a two-level parking garage. According to Travis, it needed a height and zoning variance and was zoned as industrial, despite widely expressed sentiments that it be used as residential space.

Travis said opposition from members of the community to the original proposal concerned the height of the building, blocked views, increased traffic flow, and the project being out of context with the neighborhood, in addition to the need for the proper remediation of contaminants.

Radke expressed support in 2003, around the time of Diehl’s first proposal.

“The significance of removing hazards that exist here extends beyond the current or future property owners and what they might do to improve the site,” she wrote. “The neighborhood and entire community stand to benefit as well.”

Neighborhood petitions with almost 400 signatures protesting the site proposal, also contained within the building department’s property file for the site, give evidence of community criticism.

Hang said, “These people didn’t want to deal with the challenge of cleaning up the site. It was about [the City’s] little local interests … they didn’t care about the health threat. They killed the proposal that would have cleaned this up because of 7 cars per hour.”

According to Travis, in order to move the project forward Diehl agreed to cut the proposal in half to 80 units and put a height restriction on the project so that it would stand no higher than the existing factory. Due to these limitations and the resulting restrictions on parking, the project became financially unfeasible without outside help.

The eventual resolution, and the current redevelopment proposal for the site, is “a public- private partnership” said Travis. The proposal was made with feedback from neighbors of the site.

The proposal would donate a parcel of the land to the City to be used as a park, with a public walkway along the western edge of the property to the area known as the “island” — an outcropping that overlooks Ithaca Falls and Cayuga Lake.

“It is a promenade, so that you can enjoy the valley view as you approach. It is also handicapped accessible,” added Travis.

In addition, the lessened number of 33 units will garner property taxes for the city.

“Of the $3.2 million taxable portion according to the grant application, it’s about $360,000 in taxes per year for the City,” said Travis. “It is a little better than a 10 year pay back, a 11-12 percent return on the state’s money.”

The proposal qualifies for funding as part of the ERP by the DEC which covers remediation on public lands, as part of the Voluntary Clean Up program for sub-surface contamination, and also as part of the state’s “Restore N.Y.” program.

Last November, the application for funding for the site was rejected by the Restore N.Y. program.

“They lit on this idea of the gun factory for the Restore N.Y. program late in the game,” said Travis. “The application wasn’t as strong as it could have been.”

According to Travis, the project is estimated at $13 million, with $3 million coming from these public sources, and $10 million coming from private sources.

Travis commented on why the developing team has been allowed to continue searching for funding sources and solutions despite demands from the DEC, the EPA and the City of Ithaca that the building be demolished more than a year ago.

“There has been a demolition order for quite some time,” said Travis.

Because Diehl was searching for a development partner, an extension was granted.

“We were approached only in the middle of May of this year. Since then we have been working diligently to move the project forward, whether it be with aligning support with the city and the grant applications. The money has to come from somewhere,” Travis said.

“The gun factory site is a posterchild for the grant program,” said Travis. “Those are the contaminants on the site: lead from the lead shot, and asbestos in the pipes and the window caulk. Those have to be removed; the building has to be removed — Restore N.Y. does just that.”

The verdict on this funding will be announced by the end of this year or the beginning of the next, according to Travis.

Just this past Tuesday, the development team for the site went before the Ithaca Planning and Development Board.

Chair of the Planning and Development Board and Sun Production Manager John Schroeder ’74 said, “A developer has the option at an early point, anticipating coming before the board, to come for sketch plan review.”

He added, “Sketch plan review allows the developer to present conceptually what he or she wants to do with the site. The clock isn’t ticking yet on the formal approval process — if there are concerns it allows them to be heard early in the process. The earlier in the process, the cheaper it is to address any issues.”

Schroeder expressed optimism about the newest redevelopment plan.

“Neighborhood people who were emotionally opposed to the first project say they are in support of this project,” he said. “That building is an ugly eyesore and it’s to the benefit of the community to get rid of it.”

Travis added a final detail to the proposed project that aims to preserve a part of the Ithaca Gun Factory’s history.

“We haven’t yet done a structural analysis,” Travis said. “But we intend to save the smokestack. It is an important part of the identity of the project.”

It has been an honor and a pleasure. Thank you, and good night.

— Molly O'Toole '09

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 1:26 AM

***I remember layng eyes on this building on my first trip to Ithaca.....quite an imposing site, I thought. "Wow, what's that?", I asked.

I'm a lover of old industrial structures...the evidence of America hard at work, the steel, smokestacks, powerful stuctures, all of it......sorryto see so many of them leaing the landscape these days.....ditto, so many of the handsome old steel dbriges that graced our rivers. These things are not eyesores to such as me....

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 6:47 PM
Rachacha rez

So that's what's going to replace the movie theater, and then some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Uh-oh, looks like downtown Ithaca is going to lose out again to the Mallified Lansing suburbs:

More Mall
By: Colleen Corley
11/14/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
The Shops at Ithaca Mall could expand by 71,000 square feet if all goes to plan for its developers. At the Village of Lansing planning board meeting on Monday night, Eric Goetzmann, representing the mall developers, made his case for a new mixed-use center on the southwest corner of the former Pyramid Mall, near Best Buy.
The two-building expansion will be a mix of upscale and boutique small-footprint shops, "Stores you haven't seen in the Village of Lansing," Goetzmann noted. The spots would be between 3,000 and 5,000 square feet, and most likely not be big-box tenants such as Target or Best Buy, which already occupy sites elsewhere at the mall.
If the planning board approves the new plans, construction drawings could be on the boards as early as February, Goetzmann said. "The board has challenged us a few times not to just build another big building. What we built 30 years ago is completely different than what you build today," he explained. "We think it's a good thing to bring in (a mix). We're trying to bring the center up to where centers are today."
The two buildings, though separate from each other and the main mall site, would be connected by a promenade. The effect would be more like a streetscape, similar to the Ithaca Commons, Village Trustee Lynn Leopold pointed out. "Certainly downtown Ithaca is working on (mixed-use)," she said. Board chairman Ned Hickey added, "It's not a stranger, but it's a stranger to us."
The similarity caused board member Carol Klepack to ask why, if mixed-use was a promising business plan, the Commons wasn't performing better. "Parking" was the unanimous answer-a point not lost on Goetzmann, who explained that the developers' parking considerations would have supported the expansion even before Lansing's Triphammer Road improvements.
The developers would need an amendment to the special permit that allowed for the mall's original, 750,000-square-foot plan, but board members sounded amenable, pending more information on landscaping and storm water management. Overall, board members' reactions ranged from "surprised" to "pleased," and Goetzmann promised to submit his application to the board as soon as possible and to appear before the board at the next meeting on Nov. 27.
The board's attempt to move forward with another expansion, in the area north of the Convenient Care Center and Park View Health Care Campus on Warren Road and Route 13, was thwarted by some delays at the county level. Cayuga Medical Associates plans to build a 17,000-square-foot facility that would house up to 12 doctors, connected to the Convenient Care Center site. It could also include a Veterans Affairs clinic, according to a memo sent to the board last week.
"It's really an attempt to interconnect and join these three buildings," Herman Sieverding said of the proposed building's relation to 10 Brentwood Dr. and 10 and 22 Arrowood Dr. Dr. Sieverding is vice president of Integrated Acquisition & Development.
Klepack raised the question of emergency access to the site, which is only via Brentwood Drive from Triphammer Road. "It's three lanes wide, Carol. It's hard to imagine a situation where all three are washed out," Sieverding answered. Nonetheless, the board and Sieverding mentioned the possibility of developing a fenced-off or grassed-over emergency access road leading toward Route 13.

©Ithaca Times 2007

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 2:55 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Personally, I think she's crazy:

Jenny About Town
By: Jenny
12/05/2007
It was on my 30th birthday that I ran away to Paris to find poetry and love along the River Seine. I was in love with life, and on a company paid vacation to the city of lovers, city of romance. As I sat in coffee shops, as I meandered through museums, as I enjoyed toasted baguettes with hunks of brie cheese, there was only one problem according to my family - it was cold. "Why go on vacation now? Why not wait till summer?" my mom would ask me while she pruned fig trees in her Miami backyard. "Because Mom...it's Paris!"
Little did my mother know, winters were more appealing to me than summers. Even if it was below zero, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to think, stroll, and dream on my 30th birthday with the cold Parisian air surrounding me, not if my company was going to pay for it. And not only that, my best friend, Claire, was from Paris, and I hadn't seen her in five years. I called her as soon as I got off the plane. "Jeeeeenny!" Claire burst out, "Meet me in front of Notre Dame, 18 o'clock. D'accord?"
While I was taking random black-and-white photographs to fend off my jetlag somewhere in Montmartre, I realized it was 17:30. I figured I would walk to Notre Dame, but that was a silly move; I was lost before I started, and my French just wasn't up to snuff for the locals. So I picked up my pace, and started to run down narrow, cobblestone streets. My camera, hanging from my shoulder, bounced off my hip as my black boots raised a rather rampant racket on the pavement, different from the unhurried rhythm of ascot leather boots sauntering along the sidewalks in Paris.
Couples kissing in courtyards unlocked their lips to watch me rush by, dogs seated in bistros stopped nibbling their chicken cordon bleu, old men blew cigar smoke in my direction, le artisans seated with their easels in the Place du Tertre dropped their charcoals, and Catherine Deneuve, driving past, shook her head as if she were thinking, "Ah, such a silly American girl. Why does she rush?"
And had Catherine Deneuve asked me, "Why do you rush you silly American girl?" then perhaps I would have slowed down, but by this point it was 18:45. I was more than just late, I was 45 minutes late, and counting. But then I heard something in the distance...bells. Notre Dame, I thought to myself. I changed direction, and ran faster than three pink and red striped Vespas swerving in and out of traffic. I was getting much closer to my destination. Yet in that moment, Catherine Denueve did the unthinkable. She veered her silver Citroen SM to my side, "So what if you'll be late. Be late," she said as her wool mélange Yves Saint Laurent cape waved behind her as she drove off.
So I restrained my speedy self, and settled into a leisurely Parisian pace. So what if I was an hour late to meet my best friend? I was on vacation in Paris, and it was winter with hardly anyone around. Before I knew it, the Gothic architecture of Notre Dame hovered over me, her sweet melody the map to my friend Claire, who was at that very instant wandering in my direction. She too was late, but the difference, she had no idea. Ah, le Parisians, I thought, Catherine Denueve was right.
All this went through my head as I paused while walking Russell down my block in Ithaca as the bells chimed from Cornell on my 40th birthday. "Why go to Ithaca? It's even colder there than Paris," my mother asked me six months ago when I moved to this quaint, small town. "Why Ithaca?" I asked. "Because Mom...it's Ithaca!" I know, it's not quite the same. But whether I want to admit it or not, Ithaca on some days is reminiscent of Paris. "You think I don't understand your love for the cold weather?" my boss in Manhattan would say to me. "You may have been born in the South my dear, but there's something in your blood, something that entices you to take extra long lunches on the coldest of days. You're not the only one who prefers 20 degree weather over a humid, hot day," she'd say while trying to keep dry biscuit mixed with Earl Grey tea in her mouth.
My mind flashed again, but this time to a conversation I had with my friend Gail. "The only reason I moved to Ithaca was because of my husband," said Gail over coffee, and the usual blueberry crumble at Moosewood. "Well I moved here for the winters. I couldn't wait for it to get cold this summer," I revealed. Gail almost choked on a blueberry, and then started to guffaw. She was jealous - no one has a horse laugh like that unless they're jealous. "That's crazy! Craving the winter? Puh!"
As Russell and I slowly returned home, my conversation with Gail and my trip to Paris faded from the present moment as Cornell's chimes fell silent. I didn't move to Ithaca for love, I moved to Ithaca for the subtle and minimalist beauty of the winter landscape, the unexpected bursts of color that punctuate the terrain, the shift in perspective that comes during the coldest season of the year, and the anonymity I get by being the only one walking in my neighborhood while the wind blows, and snow falls on my blue and peach plaid cap.

©Ithaca Times 2007

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
Old Fart Forumer

OK Ithaca, how long will this take to get through any approval process?
Gotta love the comments too.

Monorail plan gets a push in Tompkins
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Imagine it: Ithaca with less traffic congestion, less road construction and a new-age monorail zipping people around some 15 feet above ground.

The concept may sound strange, but after a conference in Uppsala, Sweden in October Connect Ithaca, an organization dedicated to building a more sustainable infrastructure, met with the Institute for Sustainable Transportation and learned about a transportation system that's safer, faster, cleaner and quieter than any transit unit used on Ithaca's streets.

The monorail is called PRT, short for personal rapid transit systems, or podcar, and though at present it's only an idea being kicked around by some residents, it could become a reality sooner than people might think.

“The industry itself, of course, has in its own best interest to start building these networks,” said Jacob Roberts, former chairman of Connect Ithaca and representative at the 2007 conference.
Roberts said if the community gets behind the idea and is open to it, European companies may be interested in building part of one of the first demonstration podcar networks in the world for free.

He said that creating demonstration cities is a good way for the companies to market its product.

Cornell Sustainability Coordinator Dean Koyanagi said he's known about the technology for years, but only recently has the technology become advanced enough to make the project viable.

“I had heard about a year ago that they were getting stuff up to speed where (the project) was practical,” he said.

Some say if Ithaca made itself open to the idea it would be a contender to have a podcar system built free of cost. But local developer and member of Connect Ithaca's steering committee Frost Travis said that at this point, it's “irresponsible for anyone to assert it would come for free.”

The pods themselves are small — made for up to five people — and run on demand and direct to the destination.

When there aren't passengers, the cars are docked. When riders come by, they pay and give the podcar a destination and it takes off fueled by electricity and a computer, not oil. The car goes directly to the destination with no stops along the way unlike a traditional bus or train. When a car stops, it pulls off the main rail to allow passengers to offload and other riders to continue on their way instead of getting held up behind each stopped vehicle.

Chairman of the Tompkins County Legislature Tim Joseph didn't say the project is going to happen, but did admit that there are a number of advantages to podcars over other forms of public transportation.

“I think it's a really efficient system,” he said. “It has the ability to make public transportation almost as convenient and useful to people as their own cars.”

Roberts said in order to get people out of their cars the system has to be more convenient than driving to make people say, “you know what, driving is a hassle.”

Joseph noted “substantial start-up costs” but added that the cost for the system would likely cost less than road building and maintenance.

“The cost of using a road appears to be much lower than a new system like this even though the new system is ultimately cheaper,” he said. “What was really interesting about the idea that was brought up is that there's a company looking for a test site. So there's the possibility of having the first leg of the system built for free. If we could land that, that would be really exciting.”

Now that technology is up to speed, Koyanagi said people in the community are starting to talk more openly about bringing this kind of sustainable mass transportation than in the past. He said discussions about mass transit used to hit multiple walls and little progress was made.

“We're hitting a point in, I guess the evolution of people talking about sustainability, where we can all get behind this,” Koyanagi said.

He said this is the kind of project where any of the players — Cornell, the county, the City of Ithaca, the Town of Ithaca and Ithaca College — could block the whole project by withdrawing support, but if each entity is behind the project, it's reasonable for it to become a reality.

Connect Ithaca decided Friday to move ahead laying the groundwork to bring the second annual Podcar Conference to Ithaca. The first was held in Uppsala, Sweden, and the third annual is supposed to be held in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Originally published December 8, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more step towards being just like disneyland, first we are 10 sq miles surrounded by reality, now we are gonna have a monorail. What next? Kool aid? ( no, wait, what?)

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What'd I say?
Ned Flanders: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
Patty+Selma: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!
Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...
Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.
Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.
Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.
Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
All: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: Once again...
Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
Monorail!
Monorail!

[big finish]
Monorail!
Homer: Mono... D'oh!

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 am

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 1:41 PM
Rachacha rez

Hopefully it will work out better than in North Haverbrook or Ogdenville....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
OK Ithaca, how long will this take to get through any approval process?
Gotta love the comments too.

Monorail plan gets a push in Tompkins
By Tim Ashmore
Journal Staff

ITHACA — Imagine it: Ithaca with less traffic congestion, less road construction and a new-age monorail zipping people around some 15 feet above ground.

The concept may sound strange, but after a conference in Uppsala, Sweden in October Connect Ithaca, an organization dedicated to building a more sustainable infrastructure, met with the Institute for Sustainable Transportation and learned about a transportation system that's safer, faster, cleaner and quieter than any transit unit used on Ithaca's streets.

The monorail is called PRT, short for personal rapid transit systems, or podcar, and though at present it's only an idea being kicked around by some residents, it could become a reality sooner than people might think.

“The industry itself, of course, has in its own best interest to start building these networks,” said Jacob Roberts, former chairman of Connect Ithaca and representative at the 2007 conference.
Roberts said if the community gets behind the idea and is open to it, European companies may be interested in building part of one of the first demonstration podcar networks in the world for free.

He said that creating demonstration cities is a good way for the companies to market its product.

Cornell Sustainability Coordinator Dean Koyanagi said he's known about the technology for years, but only recently has the technology become advanced enough to make the project viable.

“I had heard about a year ago that they were getting stuff up to speed where (the project) was practical,” he said.

Some say if Ithaca made itself open to the idea it would be a contender to have a podcar system built free of cost. But local developer and member of Connect Ithaca's steering committee Frost Travis said that at this point, it's “irresponsible for anyone to assert it would come for free.”

The pods themselves are small — made for up to five people — and run on demand and direct to the destination.

When there aren't passengers, the cars are docked. When riders come by, they pay and give the podcar a destination and it takes off fueled by electricity and a computer, not oil. The car goes directly to the destination with no stops along the way unlike a traditional bus or train. When a car stops, it pulls off the main rail to allow passengers to offload and other riders to continue on their way instead of getting held up behind each stopped vehicle.

Chairman of the Tompkins County Legislature Tim Joseph didn't say the project is going to happen, but did admit that there are a number of advantages to podcars over other forms of public transportation.

“I think it's a really efficient system,” he said. “It has the ability to make public transportation almost as convenient and useful to people as their own cars.”

Roberts said in order to get people out of their cars the system has to be more convenient than driving to make people say, “you know what, driving is a hassle.”

Joseph noted “substantial start-up costs” but added that the cost for the system would likely cost less than road building and maintenance.

“The cost of using a road appears to be much lower than a new system like this even though the new system is ultimately cheaper,” he said. “What was really interesting about the idea that was brought up is that there's a company looking for a test site. So there's the possibility of having the first leg of the system built for free. If we could land that, that would be really exciting.”

Now that technology is up to speed, Koyanagi said people in the community are starting to talk more openly about bringing this kind of sustainable mass transportation than in the past. He said discussions about mass transit used to hit multiple walls and little progress was made.

“We're hitting a point in, I guess the evolution of people talking about sustainability, where we can all get behind this,” Koyanagi said.

He said this is the kind of project where any of the players — Cornell, the county, the City of Ithaca, the Town of Ithaca and Ithaca College — could block the whole project by withdrawing support, but if each entity is behind the project, it's reasonable for it to become a reality.

Connect Ithaca decided Friday to move ahead laying the groundwork to bring the second annual Podcar Conference to Ithaca. The first was held in Uppsala, Sweden, and the third annual is supposed to be held in Copenhagen, Denmark.

One more step towards being just like disneyland, first we are 10 sq miles surrounded by reality, now we are gonna have a monorail. What next? Kool aid? ( no, wait, what?)

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:08 am

Lyle Lanley: Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail!
What'd I say?
Ned Flanders: Monorail!
Patty+Selma: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!
Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud...
Lyle Lanley: It glides as softly as a cloud.
Apu: Is there a chance the track could bend?
Lyle Lanley: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
Barney: What about us brain-dead slobs?
Lyle Lanley: You'll be given cushy jobs.
Abe: Were you sent here by the devil?
Lyle Lanley: No, good sir, I'm on the level.
Wiggum: The ring came off my pudding can.
Lyle Lanley: Take my pen knife, my good man.
I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
Lyle Lanley: Once again...
Marge: But Main Street's still all cracked and broken...
Bart: Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!
Monorail!
Monorail!

[big finish]
Monorail!
Homer: Mono... D'oh!

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 am

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 4:12 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Yet another article about the Gunshop development:

Here's a pic of the area in question:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001166@N00/494241032/

Sorry I didn't get the smokestack in that one.

Here's a pic of it from mhaithaca (on flickr)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhaithaca/465817562/

Gun factory update...
By: Jon West
12/05/2007

For decades now, the Ithaca Gun factory on Lake Street has loomed over majestic Ithaca Falls like a grumbly old dragon holding an innocent village hostage. Its graffitied walls and shattered windows made for great nighttime haunts and transient redoubts through the years, but for all intents and purposes the property has been an eyesore for the community and a lead- and asbestos-tainted stain on the environment.
As Ithaca continues to grapple with the realities of a history filled with heavy, often irresponsible industry, property owner Wally Diehl, who heads Fall Creek Redevelopment L.L.C., and developer Frost Travis have come up with a plan to reshape and revitalize one of Ithaca's most infamous environmental disasters.
"When I first moved back into town, I saw the gun factory and I just thought it was a real shame that it wasn't in productive use of some kind," Travis said. "My initial thought was 'Jeez, somebody ought to turn that into loft condominiums.'"
Initially, Diehl and Travis' vision wasn't shared by all, namely due to citizens' concerns over the vast lead and asbestos contamination spread throughout the site despite the completion of a $4.8 million EPA Superfund cleanup effort in 2004. The scale of the initial project, which far surpassed the 33 upscale condo units which were given preliminary approval by the Ithaca planning and economic development committee last August, was also a source of contention. According to Travis, the initial plans for the site involved 160 units - an idea that neighbors didn't take too kindly to given the sheer size of the development and the vehicle traffic that would come with it. So Travis and Diehl scaled down to 80 units, but were again met with stiff resistance.
"What was driving the density [concerns] was a need to accommodate cars," Travis said. "With such a tight site, it really is difficult to develop. To get the number of cars you need in there you have to build a garage, and to build a garage you have to have a higher density of units - it became kind of a chicken and egg [situation]."
"When we reduced the density to 33 units we didn't have to build a concrete parking garage; we could house cars within the units and there would still be enough circulation space. We also thought that for a location For decades now, the Ithaca Gun factory on Lake Street has loomed over majestic Ithaca Falls like a grumbly old dragon holding an innocent village hostage. Its graffitied walls and shattered windows made for great nighttime haunts and transient redoubts through the years, but for all intents and purposes the property has been an eyesore for the community and a lead- and asbestos-tainted stain on the environment.
As Ithaca continues to grapple with the realities of a history filled with heavy, often irresponsible industry, property owner Wally Diehl, who heads Fall Creek Redevelopment L.L.C., and developer Frost Travis have come up with a plan to reshape and revitalize one of Ithaca's most infamous environmental disasters.
"When I first moved back into town, I saw the gun factory and I just thought it was a real shame that it wasn't in productive use of some kind," Travis said. "My initial thought was 'Jeez, somebody ought to turn that into loft condominiums.'"
Initially, Diehl and Travis' vision wasn't shared by all, namely due to citizens' concerns over the vast lead and asbestos contamination spread throughout the site despite the completion of a $4.8 million EPA Superfund cleanup effort in 2004. The scale of the initial project, which far surpassed the 33 upscale condo units which were given preliminary approval by the Ithaca planning and economic development committee last August, was also a source of contention. According to Travis, the initial plans for the site involved 160 units - an idea that neighbors didn't take too kindly to given the sheer size of the development and the vehicle traffic that would come with it. So Travis and Diehl scaled down to 80 units, but were again met with stiff resistance.
"What was driving the density [concerns] was a need to accommodate cars," Travis said. "With such a tight site, it really is difficult to develop. To get the number of cars you need in there you have to build a garage, and to build a garage you have to have a higher density of units - it became kind of a chicken and egg [situation]."
"When we reduced the density to 33 units we didn't have to build a concrete parking garage; we could house cars within the units and there would still be enough circulation space. We also thought that for a location like this it would just be a shame not to take advantage of the view, so we're designing it in such a way that every unit will have a view."
After discussing the plans with city officials and adjoining property owners, Travis and Diehl finally settled on the 33-unit plan, which also involves retaining the Ithaca Gun smokestack and donating a portion of the property on the western edge to the City of Ithaca for the development of a public walkway and falls overlook.
In order to address the larger environmental concerns, Diehl has applied for a $2.5 million Restore New York grant to mitigate the costs of demolition and mitigation in addition to a voluntary cleanup program which involves remediating the subsurface contamination on the site.
For the city's part, it has applied for an estimated $600,00 - $750,000 DEC environmental restoration program grant to clean up the area slated for public access. If those grants don't come through, however, the project won't work, and Travis and Diehl will have to figure something else out from scratch.
Ultimately, says Travis, the estimated $360,000 in annual property taxes that the development will generate in addition to the new public space makes this project the best alternative to the sagging, tarnished industrial ruins that now occupy the site.
"Development is a long-cycled business and it's very complicated, as you're making a permanent contribution to the urban fabric and it really needs to be well-scrutinized and well-thought out. You don't want to just erect something slap dash that people are going to regret later. A lot of people complain about how difficult it is to develop in Ithaca, but I think that ultimately you wind up with a much better project. It may be a headache now, but it will turn into something that people will really appreciate."

©Ithaca Times 2007

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 1:08 AM
Missing the Gorges

So, a couple news notes...

I have pictures for the 320 Dryden development (the four-storey apt. building). Unfortunately, my comp is dead, so I won't be able to post them until I go to visit family up in Syracuse, and reain access to my photo software. The working title is "Top of the Hill Apartments", due to be complete by March 2008.

The old convenience store on College and Dryden, where the Tompkins Trust ATM is, has been renovated and is now home to Kraftee's clothing department. The books department will remain in their old building on Dryden for the time being.

The commercial property across the street from it is being renovated as well. While I have found no papers on the building to indicate its future function (new doorways and window replacement is currently underway), rumors suggest a health club catering to the college students in the area.

This means that all four corners of College and Dryden will be occupied very shortly.

Last edited by Visiteur; Dec 9, 2007 at 1:10 AM. Reason: typos

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 2:01 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ It's about time. The heart of C-town needs to be occupied. Good stuff Vis, and I look forward to the pics.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 8:57 PM
Missing the Gorges

^Well, aren't YOU up late for someone of your age ?

...nevermind; as I logged in, they changed the time of your post- it originally said 2 AM.

In other news, Cayuga green is up to the second floor (yes, this is my attempt to validate my post).

Found something!

http://www.cnybusinessjournal.com/fu...=frontpage.cfm

ITHACA — Novomer, Inc. plans to use some of the $6.6 million it wrapped up during its first round of venture financing to double its work force, the company’s president says.
Novomer closed the financing round in October and announced it Nov. 7. Company President Charles Hamilton says some of the money raised will go toward expanding the staff from its current level of 14 to at least 28.

The firm will also more than triple the size of its current 4,500-square-foot offices at the South Hill Business Campus, 950 Danby Road in Ithaca. The new space will be used for both offices and labs, Hamilton says. He declined to give a specific timeline for the expansion.

Novomer is a materials company developing plastics made from renewable resources. Hamilton declined to disclose the company’s annual revenue.

The firm received its funding from Physic Ventures of San Francisco and Flagship Ventures of Cambridge, Mass. Hamilton declined to say how much money came from each group.

In addition to expanding the company’s staff and physical space, the venture dollars will help Novomer further refine its business strategy, Hamilton says. The company, founded in 2004, is in the midst of figuring out the best commercialization path for its technology.

The firm has two broad classes of materials ready for use — one made from carbon dioxide and the other from carbon monoxide, Hamilton says. Both classes can yield numerous end products.

Trying to decide whether to pursue one class at a time or both and in what business sector is one of the big tasks facing Novomer now, Hamilton says.

“The world needs more and more plastics every day,” he says. “Everybody’s looking for an ecologically more-compelling story in materials than 100 percent fossil fuels.

“If we can replace at least some of those materials with carbon dioxide, that’s a greenhouse gas. Now you’re holding that in this material instead of releasing it into the atmosphere.”

Novomer’s materials can be used for basically anything a traditional plastic can, Hamilton adds. Because of that, narrowing down an initial, specific direction is a big job.

The company has been doing some work related to its technology for Eastman Kodak since September 2006, Hamilton says. The firm has also been talking to major producers of consumer goods about its materials, although Hamilton would not say which ones.

The materials are based on research done at Cornell University. Novomer is the exclusive licensee of the intellectual property created from that research.

Physic Ventures came in contact with Novomer because one of its venture partners is a former Cornell professor who knew Novomer’s founder, Geoffrey Coates, says Andrew Williamson, a director at Physic. Coates led the research team that developed Novomer’s technology.

Novomer also fits well with Physic’s overall investment focus, which centers on companies involved in health, wellness, and sustainable living, Williamson says.

In addition to its use of renewable materials as the basis for its materials, Novomer’s production process alone yields environmental benefits, he adds. Novomer’s process uses specially designed catalysts that allow for the formation of its plastics at lower temperatures and pressures than traditional methods.

That saves energy in the long run, Williamson says. He also says the recent attention to green companies is not a fad. “Look at the macro drivers here,” he says. “The price of oil. That’s not going down anytime soon. The economics in terms of moving away from using oil for plastics is here to stay.”

Flagship Ventures focuses its investments in business sectors including life science and diagnostic tools, energy and technology, and therapeutics.

Last edited by Visiteur; Dec 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Eating my words

Old Posted Dec 9, 2007, 10:41 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Good stuff Vis, thanks

Here's some info on the density issue in Ithaca.

IDA approves revised density policy
By Krisy Gashler
Journal Staff

ITHACA — The sometimes controversial tax abatement policy for new developments in the city of Ithaca is being renewed and revamped.

The 5-year-old policy encourages higher density development in the urban core of the city and, ostensibly, helps combat sprawl.

For the last five years, it has worked by giving property tax breaks to new large developments for the first 10 years of operation, with 100 percent exemption from city, county, and school property tax the first year, 90 percent the second year, and so on. Developers are still required to pay the full tax on the property as assessed before they started building.

Under the revised policy, adopted by the Tompkins County Industrial Development Agency Friday afternoon, a project's large size is only one criterion that will be considered before granting tax abatements.
The IDA voted 4-2 in favor of the revised density policy, which was spearheaded by Ithaca Common Council Alderman Dan Cogan, D-5th.

Projects will be measured on a point scale of “community benefits” that include architecture, transportation, construction labor, employment, housing and affordable housing, environmental impact and financial and economic benefits, according to Michael Stamm, president of Tompkins County Area Development, which manages the IDA.

“What the city and the IDA are trying to do is encourage the developers and reward developers for meeting certain public goals with respect to housing, environmental techniques used in construction and operation,” Stamm said. “In the past a facility or project would be eligible for these incentives just because of its scale, if it was large.”

Under the new policy, abatements can be granted on a sliding scale, from 60 to 100 percent the first year, then reducing in equal increments each year. Currently projects are either abated 100 percent or not at all.

Board members Jeff Furman and county legislator Mike Hattery, R-Dryden, voted against the policy.

Furman said he voted against because it grants abatements without enough requirements for developers to pay livable wages and create affordable housing. The current policy gives points for projects that include housing for low- or moderate-income households, but does not specify how much of the project must be affordable.

Hattery said he voted against because he doesn't think the county should subsidize projects that will compete with existing businesses. Hattery also said it's unfair for county taxpayers to subsidize the construction of city retail, because sales tax generated by that new retail will go exclusively to the city, not the county.

Cogan and Stamm both argued that because the cost of construction is so much higher in the city than in rural areas, the tax abatements are putting the city on a level playing field with the suburbs and rural areas.

Cogan pointed to the success of the current policy because several large projects have been built in the city in the past five years: Seneca Place, the Gateway projects, Cayuga Green 2, and the Inlet Island Fitness Center. Before the abatement policy, no large projects had been constructed in downtown Ithaca for 20 years, he said.

Jean McPheeters, president of the Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce; Dan Cogan, Common Council alderman; Martha Robertson, County legislator; and Tim Joseph, county legislature chairman, voted in favor of the proposal.

kgashler@ithacajournal.com

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 2:55 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Some pleasant news from a survey:

Ithaca third on listing of small town security
From Journal Staff Reports

Ithaca is the third most secure place to live among small towns in the United States, according to an annual survey that takes into consideration crime, weather, natural and man-made hazards and health and economic conditions.

The ranking is in the fourth annual Farmers Insurance Group of Companies study. The rankings, compiled by database experts at www.bestplaces.net, took into consideration crime statistics, extreme weather, risk of natural disasters, environmental hazards, terrorist threats, air quality, life expectancy and job loss numbers in 138 U.S. towns with populations under 150,000.

The most secure small town in the United States, according to the Farmers Insurance study, is Corvallis, Ore. Harrisonburg, Va., ranks second; State College, Pa., is fourth; and Logan, Utah, is fifth among small towns.

Ithaca was ranked fifth in the same survey a year earlier. All of the top five towns this year are college towns.
The San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara area of northern California is the most secure large metropolitan area (population 500,000 or more), while the most secure mid-size city (population between 150,000 - 500,000) is Olympia, Wash.

The list

Here is the list of the top small towns, in order, of Farmers Insurance's Most Secure Places to Live in the United States:

Most Secure Places to Live — Small Towns (Fewer than 150,000 residents)

1. Corvallis, Ore.

2. Harrisonburg, Va.

3. Ithaca, N.Y.

4. State College, Pa.

5. Logan, Utah

6. Lewiston, Idaho

7. Bismarck, N.D.

8. St. George, Utah

9. Napa, Calif.

10. Bend, Ore.

11. Wenatchee, Wash.

12. Mount Vernon-Anacortes, Wash.

13. Ames, Iowa

14. Morgantown, W. Va.

15. Wausau, Wis.

16. Iowa City, Iowa

17. Winchester, Va.

18. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

19. Glens Falls, N.Y.

20. Grand Forks, N.D.

Originally published December 11, 2007

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 1:44 PM
Old Fart Forumer

The little community college I went to (after the Navy), seems to be doing OK:

TC3 plans to add 2 residence halls to fit 268 more students
By Krisy Gashler
Journal Staff

DRYDEN — Tompkins Cortland Community College is proposing to increase its on-campus residence hall beds by almost 50 percent.

Robert Ross, dean of college services at Tompkins Cortland Community College, reported to the Tompkins County Industrial Development Agency that demand from students for on-campus housing is far outstripping supply, leading the college to propose two new residence halls.

Ross said last year the college filled its beds and had “an additional 250 people (who) wanted to live on campus and there was no place for them.”

The college has capacity to house 546 students. The two new residence halls would accommodate 268 more students.
The almost $19 million project requires approval from the Town of Dryden, and an expansion of the sewer district.

The college is also requesting that the Tompkins County Industrial Development Agency issue tax-exempt bonds to the school, so it can borrow money to build the residence halls more cheaply, said Michael Stamm, president of Tompkins County Area Development, which manages the IDA.

Ross said the project will be built at the prevailing wage rate with as much local labor as possible, and will be built to achieve a “Silver Standard” according to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design guidelines.

Ross said the college intends to break ground in February 2008 and have the new buildings ready for students to occupy by August 2009.

kgashler@ithacajournal.com

Originally published December 12, 2007

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast