HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 6:31 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

There's not much in the way of a "Less than 5 dollar option" now, with the exception of a slice of Gigios Pizza.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 7:28 PM

Do we think etta is going to be open until 4 am to serve nugs to frat boys coming home from the Keg? Or Nevins? Or Prairie Moon? Or 1800 club?

(this comment makes no sense in 2023. does gen z even drink?)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 7:55 PM

Durty Nellie’s Seeks Redevelopment of its Property at 180-190 N. Smith Street, Palatine
https://durtynellies.com/updates/

I didn’t notice this when it was posted in April. Looks like this is moving forward. I’m sad that we’re losing a great music place, but I see their point that they’re having trouble booking the space. And this is TOD, literally across the street from the Metra station.

Hasn’t been anything new built in Palatine since 2006.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 7:51 PM

What the heck is happening in Mundelein? Just happened to drive through, and there are three large projects near the Metra station. Construction in every direction.

To the north, just south of 176, straddling the tracks is a townhouse / rowhouse development. Morris Station.
https://www.morrisstation.com/

To the east, on Hawley next to the post office is a 4 story building. Across the street is a retail/office complex that looks like the paint is still drying.

South of village hall is Station 250, a large apartment complex along the tracks, right at the station.
https://station250.com/

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:29 PM

‘Catalyst’ to redevelopment: Apartments, retail coming to Arlington Heights south gateway

Quote:
an eight-story, 301-unit apartment building with streetside retail at the south gateway of the village.

The mixed-use project, which received zoning approvals this week, would be built on 3.7 acres at the southeast corner of Arlington Heights and Algonquin roads, where a shuttered five-story office building and three single-story commercial buildings will meet the wrecking ball soon.
https://www.dailyherald.com/20231220...south-gateway/

See the article for renderings and more details. This isn't TOD, unless you count I-90. Metra is a few miles north. But this is a big change for the area.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 3:42 PM
TL;DR

Yep. Also the old Daily Herald building is being renovated. It's a neat piece of 80s California-style office architecture dropped into Illinois, and a landmark off the tollway...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 8:28 PM

This suburban high-rise in Oak Brook is still plodding along in earnest as it appears some revetment has been put in place along with an upgraded culvert for drainage into the nearby Salt Creek, but no clear sign of construction other than that, and the pushing dirt around the site. . .

. . .

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Ground broken on massive mixed-use development in Michigan City

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sto...y/70863305007/
Interesting. That's directly across the street from the Helmut Jahn-designed public library. Too bad they don't still have the original reading chairs - I loved them as a kid.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:29 PM

That Library is such a gem.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 1:17 AM

Ryan Field/Dyche Stadium Demolition

Ryan Field/Dyche Stadium Demolition

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 4:06 PM

should the new Ryan field have its own page?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 4:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Oh man, a sight for sore eyes. I grew up just north of dyche stadium in the 100 block of 5th Street in Wilmette.

My favorite dyche stadium memory: I was about 10 years old and me and some other friends were riding our bikes in the parking lot of the stadium when one of my friends noticed that a gate across one of the stadium entrances was left unlocked. We totally busted in and had way too much fun riding our bikes up and down the stadium ramps.

We frequently went back hoping to find another unlocked gate, but it was only a one time event.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:04 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Agreed Steely. I have fond memories of going as a wee lad to a mostly empty Dyche stadium in the mid-80s, watching Northwestern getting crushed by the likes of Ohio State or Iowa or pretty much anyone they played.

Even back then, though, I always admired the sweep of the stadium seating, open end zone, and arch supports on the outside of the stadium. I always thought it was one of the more underrated stadiums in college football, though maybe it's just my nostalgic biases.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 6:55 PM

Article about Michigan City's growth and new renderings of a planned highrise. I did some searching and apparently they implemented a form-based zoning overlay around the core of the city, with height minimums and no maximums in certain areas (here and here). With travel times to Millennium Station dropping to an hour, and even less once MED is upgraded to 90 MPH, I can see why the area is now a lot more attractive to developers. If Goodman is serious about replicating the growth of Fulton Market, it's possible Michigan City could become our version of Jersey City

Why the man who helped remake Fulton Market is betting big on Michigan City
Quote:
There’s a lot going on in Michigan City’s favor right now. Besides the double-track train project, which is wrapping up sooner than expected in mid-May, Nipsco plans to retire its generating station between 2026 and 2028. The utility’s cooling tower, a blight on the landscape that’s sometimes mistaken for a nuclear facility, will come down and free up a mile of lakefront space. The facility sits on 123 acres.

The Indiana Department of Correction has announced it will close the state prison in Michigan City within three to four years, freeing up land 2 miles off the lake. And the Marquette bike trail, which will connect Chicago to New Buffalo, Mich., and run through Michigan City, is expected to be complete by 2027. The Illinois portion is finished, the Indiana leg is under construction and the Michigan section broke ground April 3.
“We like to be on the path of renovation but where the bones already exist,” he said. He points to two Farpoint projects as examples: Fulton Market, as well as the Bronzeville lakefront (the former Michael Reese Hospital site), next to McCormick Place. “They have all the infrastructure already,” he says. “It doesn’t take a lot of imagination” to see what could happen there.

Michigan City is similar, he says. “It’s a proven community that sprawls during summer months, but I see it as much more year-round in terms of activity.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-fulton-market

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development