HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:29 PM

SAN ANTONIO │ 307 Dwyer │ 6 FLOORS │ U/C

Quote:
Mixed-use downtown project wins initial OK

An underused segment of downtown, two blocks south of the Bexar County Courthouse, could become the site of a vibrant mixed-use development that would include 272 apartments, half of which would be priced for people who earn less than San Antonio's median income.

The $50 million development would also include about 50,000 square feet of commercial space and 450 parking spots.

Under the complex plan, San Antonio-based Landbridge Partners would team with the San Antonio Housing Trust Public Facility Corp., which is overseen by a board of directors composed of five City Council members. The city owns 307 Dwyer Ave., the site of a former transitional housing facility that was no longer needed after Haven for Hope opened.

Now, the city is poised to convey the property to the public facility corporation, which will become an equity partner with Landbridge, a group that plans to add the adjacent Heritage Plaza building to the mix.

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/news/loca...OK-5526381.php
This together with Elan Riverwalk and the HEB store will really start to stitch together downtown with the Southtown and Arsenal areas.

And what exactly do they mean when they say "add Heritage Plaza to the mix?" Are they going to tear it down for the new residential complex?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:00 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Fantastic news. Maybe we'll see a new cluster form around the new HEB. I would assume they're tearing down both Heritage Plaza and that city building for this project based on the renderings, the building looks too big to be using just that city building's land based on the rendering.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:02 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Here are the images I used in the post I made in the Urban Development thread.

And yes, both buildings will be razed. Heritage Plaza looks to be the site of the parking garage.

THE BUILDING ON THE LEFT WITH BE RAZED

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Fantastic news. Maybe we'll see a new cluster form around the new HEB. I would assume they're tearing down both Heritage Plaza and that city building for this project based on the renderings, the building looks too big to be using just that city building's land based on the rendering.
That's a shame about the Heritage Building. It's not particularly attractive, but to demolish it and use up that large of a block for this small project seems wasteful. I hope they build around the small house on Dwyer; the way Joske's goes around the church.

And it would be great to see a cluster of development and retail pop up around the HEB. The streetcar and the San Pedro Creek improvements will pass through that area, so it has a huge potential for redevelopment.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 8:47 PM
Paradise

I wonder what retail they are anticipating. At 50,000 sq ft of commercial space, there could be a number of things (or one really big thing).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I wonder what retail they are anticipating. At 50,000 sq ft of commercial space, there could be a number of things (or one really big thing).
Just the fact that the space has been carved out is good enough for me.

FYI... the average drug store is 12-15k sq. ft.; the average Best Buy (for comparisons sake) is in the mid 30k sq. ft. range.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Hopefully its a number of things.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:23 AM

I'm not following you Texan, I promise. lol

Funny enough, I came to SSP to post two things. 1) The micro apartments story and 2) a bit of information I learned about this project yesterday.

Apparently, there's a very good possibly that Trader Joe's take space at this development.

Trader Joe's wants to build in the urban core but hasn't found the right spot that is the right size.

Trader Joe's entering the market in 2012 and wanting to be downtown is one of the reasons H-E-B jumped all over the 1 million dollar incentive package the city put out and H-E-B used the 1 million for street improvements because they didn't need it or require it to build their Flores Street Market.

There are 625-units planned/under construction within a two block radius of Dwyer plus a lot more in the pipeline (yet to be announced) in the same area. TJ's has to see this as an ideal location.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 10:05 PM
Paradise

Any updates on this? I figured with that amount of retail that a grocery store might take up some of it. TJ's would be a good option.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 10:26 AM

Any idea of if this project has been approved or, if it has been, when it will begin construction?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:43 PM
Paradise

I can't get behind the paywall, but it sounds like this is the same project.

City looking to sell downtown parcel to local developer for $50M mixed-use development
Quote:
The now-vacant site used to be home to the Dwyer Avenue Center for Transitional Housing before the center was relocated to Haven for Hope.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-to-local.html

Looking forward to seeing this project move along.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:51 PM

del

Last edited by SAtown; Jul 7, 2016 at 3:35 PM. Reason: del

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
I can't get behind the paywall, but it sounds like this is the same project.

City looking to sell downtown parcel to local developer for $50M mixed-use development

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-to-local.html

Looking forward to seeing this project move along.
From behind the paywall

Quote:
Another one of the city's vacant buildings in downtown San Antonio is heading for a complete overhaul if plans to sell the property to a local developer are approved.

At 307 Dwyer Ave., the 0.4-acre site of the former Dwyer Avenue Center for Transitional Housing is expected to be sold to Landbridge Partners — a local development group that tried to develop on the property several years ago through a public-private partnership with the city of San Antonio that ultimately fizzled.

Now, however, it has a chance to call its own shots.

Slated to go before the City Council this Thursday, the deal includes plans to sell the property outright to Landbrige, which has plans of its own to redevelop the site into a $50 million mixed-use complex that would include the city-owned site and the neighboring Heritage Plaza property, which Landbrige owns.

Interim Director of the Center City Development and Operations Department John Jacks told me the building has been vacant since 2010 when the transitional housing operations moved to Haven for Hope's current location to the west of downtown.

"We've been looking for opportunities to redevelop that site since the building is functionally obsolete," he said. "It was specifically set up for a transitional, shelter-type use, and it's hard to use it for anything else. (Landbridge's) redevelopment project would fall in line with the goal of more inner city, core housing."

He added that the developer's plan would include a minimum of 272 market-rate multifamily units, and given the 90 days Landbridge would need to close on the property, construction could start within the next 18 months, Jacks said.

The site itself is in the middle of fast-expanding residential market, with two future multifamily complexes at Hemisfair as well as Greystar's recently completed Agave apartments. When all is said and done, the area within a one-mile radius of the Dwyer Street property — which has an appraisal value of $896,680 — will be home to more than 1,000 apartment units.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:21 PM
Paradise

Thanks for posting. I was hoping a TJ's would go in there, but River North would be a good area, too, if they ever want to build in SA again. I was expecting some kind of grocer for this development because 50,000 sqft of retail is a lot. It sounds like they would have a multitude of retail, dining, and maybe even entertainment.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:45 AM
James

So it looks Hertitage Plaza is getting torn down finally. I posted in Encore, but it was actually this property.... looks like something might finally be happening with this one.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:07 AM

confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
So it looks Hertitage Plaza is getting torn down finally. I posted in Encore, but it was actually this property.... looks like something might finally be happening with this one.

I'm so confused...and so is everyone else. I thought Encore was going to be on the lot next door that borders S. Flores St. Which project is going to replace the Heritage Plaza building!?

http://bexarwitness.com/video-demo-m.../#.WLEPphiZNhA

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post

I'm so confused...and so is everyone else. I thought Encore was going to be on the lot next door that borders S. Flores St. Which project is going to replace the Heritage Plaza building!?

http://bexarwitness.com/video-demo-m.../#.WLEPphiZNhA
There's nothing to be confused about. This isn't Encore. Encore is on adjacent property and will face South Flores St.

This is the Landbridge development that was discussed for a few years and ultimately got the ball rolling in the summer of 2016. Construction looks to have started.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:02 PM

What are the details about the Landbridge development? I can't remember which one this is, probably still too new to the forum. Are there any articles on this development?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
What are the details about the Landbridge development? I can't remember which one this is, probably still too new to the forum. Are there any articles on this development?
Comment #11 has a link to the Landbridge deal.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:04 PM

NEW RENDERINGS OF 307 DWYER

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio