HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:34 PM

Westgate lost the appeal. Ordered to fill the hole by March 30 or the city can take over and fill the hole.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4928030/d...iew_id=4928030

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Westgate lost the appeal. Ordered to fill the hole by March 30 or the city can take over and fill the hole.

The fat lady has sung.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Pretty sure all hope is on the city filling the hole as it's unlikely Westgate can even afford the dirt to put in the hole, no?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:52 AM
Hmm....

VERY unlikely.... But maybe Harvard Developments is waiting in the wings to scoop up a pre-dug hole in a prime location?

One can hope.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
VERY unlikely.... But maybe Harvard Developments is waiting in the wings to scoop up a pre-dug hole in a prime location?

One can hope.
Harvard doesn't build without a major tenant in place. There are no tenants.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 1:57 PM
arf

^Agreed. They also have rather detailed plans of what they want to do for residential development with the 23rd/Hillsdale site. I doubt they would veer off course.

But, I would also subscribe to the never say never schtick because a vacant site on pretty much the most desireable address (from a historical naming standpoint) in the Queen City is not to be scoffed at. Living at Albert / Victoria is quite prestigious.

My worry is the desirability of that address will lead some other less than competent developers to try to get the site.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 3:35 PM

At this point, there is nothing in the court decision that indicates Fortress has to give up or sell the land. The hole just has to be filled in. Good decision from a safety perspective too. The longer it sits abandoned, the more likely someone decides to go into the pit check it out. Bored youth have been known to do stupid things.

I agree that they will sit back and let the city go to the expense of filling the hole. My question is whether the city can tack that onto property tax like they would going into someone's residential property to clean up a yard.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:19 PM

Use the hole as a snow dump. In the spring, you'll have a nice spot to swim!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Use the hole as a snow dump. In the spring, you'll have a nice spot to swim!
Beat you to that idea 10 pages ago, but yeah let nature take it's course and you'll have the biggest lake in southern SK!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

One can hope.
Maybe not Harvard specifically, but you raise a fantastic point. What is stopping another developer from picking up where Fortress left off? As long as the site is still in build-able condition, another developer could realistically get the site for pennies on the dollar, and save on digging multiple stories down. A developer would be able to save $5 million+ on the overall project if they could continue Fortress's work. My fear is that the site has sat for too long and will need extensive remediation.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Living at Albert / Victoria is quite prestigious.
But is it really? The neighbourhood directly around it isn't that great, and the intersections is pretty ugly with the exception of the recent work at Viterra. I don't think many people under 40 would consider that intersection prestigious.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
But is it really? The neighbourhood directly around it isn't that great, and the intersections is pretty ugly with the exception of the recent work at Viterra. I don't think many people under 40 would consider that intersection prestigious.
I'd say people under 40 would find it more prestigious than people over 40. It's on the edge of Cathedral where lots of young people want to be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:47 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Prestigious in name only. Otherwise I completely agree that is mostly a dump.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:05 PM

From Twitter feed of @davidbaxter_ (Global reporter)

The city is moving on. I didn't expect to see sidewalks in the details, but it makes sense.

Pre-submissions meeting at city hall on March 19.
https://regina.ctvnews.ca/city-accep...hole-1.4332557

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:52 PM

Wow, so there you go. Full site remediation to a vacant lot..

Does Fortress have any more legal challenges up their sleeves?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
The city is moving on. I didn't expect to see sidewalks in the details, but it makes sense.
Screw Fortress. What a waste of taxpayer money. A decade after this whole mess started and we are going back to square one. Makes me so sad that this project could have changed the face of this city and this is all we got.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:22 PM
arf

'Lost my soul to the Capital hole': Regina residents gather for goodbye to giant Capital Pointe hole

Now that we've officially said our goodbyes, I think this thread can be closed. Until the next lawsuit of course.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:46 PM
arf

Capital Pointe hole still not backfilled but the City of Regina's working on it

Tender out for hole filling work, it closes on April 11th.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:32 PM

Tender has been out for 3 weeks already. I wonder how many companies checked out the pre-submissions meeting. There can't be that many companies, can there?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:35 PM
arf

^Given the economy right now, almost every company around might have bid though. But yeah, you figure there's not many there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan