HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 4:54 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.

Boston and San Diego are at least 3 to 4 times bigger than San Antonio.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
See, that is something I really do not like---the first this---the first that---if you really think about it, isnt it the first for anything when it comes to construction? Every construction has something new to add as technology grows. We will never grow if we keep holding on to the past.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
It would seem others agree:

http://www.themilambuilding.com/space.htm

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 6:32 AM
SA 24th largest city

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 7:36 AM
BANNED

Does anyone have any information regarding construction at the Rim? What is going on with that parking garage looking building (or it may be) near the Palladium. I haven’t seen anything going on with that for, I would think about two years.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:06 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Two years? They just finished building the second garage. P.S. there's a thread on that development (The Village at The Rim) on this forum.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:06 AM

Quote:
It's better to compare places by metro population not city.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
San Diego is .5 times bigger than SA. Its population has 1 million more than SA.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.
Uh, first of all. . .

Nevermind, I'm not even gonna bother.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:11 AM

Quote:
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA. It's a landmark, and you don't tear down landmarks. And not only is it a landmark, it's an icon. It, by itself, represents the city in the same way the skyline as a whole would and does. Put an IHOP in it and people would still go...cause I'm pretty sure most people go to the observation level and not the restaurant.

P.S. The Space Needle and Stratosphere Tower look more like UFOS then ToA.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 1:32 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Uh, first of all. . .

Nevermind, I'm not even gonna bother.
exactly.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:16 PM

Quote:
It would seem others agree:

http://www.themilambuilding.com/space.htm
I see great potential for a renovation/re-use as residential. Its usually what happens to unusable/old office space. It would be a good thing for SA. If this gets taken up as residential, it would just line up the space/demand for the next NEW office high rise or renovations/use in existing ones.

Yeah, and welcome to the forum.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Two years? They just finished building the second garage. P.S. there's a thread on that development (The Village at The Rim) on this forum.
May be I am not looking in the right area.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA. It's a landmark, and you don't tear down landmarks. And not only is it a landmark, it's an icon. It, by itself, represents the city in the same way the skyline as a whole would and does. Put an IHOP in it and people would still go...cause I'm pretty sure most people go to the observation level and not the restaurant.

P.S. The Space Needle and Stratosphere Tower look more like UFOS then ToA.
I would never compare the Tower of Americas with the use and function of the buildings of San Diego and Austin. The tower of Americas, as said, is nothing more than a restaurant. Tallest thing between Houston and LA?---are we just courting the road to LA and Houston? The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio. Your point seems to be, if it is tall, it should stay. By that standard, I am guessing all the light structures along the highway should be landmarks, there tall and, most likely if more than one person could fit, would have a great view of the city. The point was to make something with total use of todays engineering. A city “icon” can only be fresh for so long. We cannot rely on just the past. We have to be innovative, new, and inventive. Adding Chart and 4D ride, whatever that is, is not going to cut it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
exactly.

This is a place to have conversations (that is why I joined), not posting would have be suffice without resorting to electronic silly faces.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 11:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I see great potential for a renovation/re-use as residential. Its usually what happens to unusable/old office space. It would be a good thing for SA. If this gets taken up as residential, it would just line up the space/demand for the next NEW office high rise or renovations/use in existing ones.

Yeah, and welcome to the forum.
Never thought about this idea. Good point. A little paint and I may want to live there, but never work. I like a lot of glass in a workplace.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 2:24 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
This is a place to have conversations (that is why I joined), not posting would have be suffice without resorting to electronic silly faces.
You are right. My apologies. Please forgive me.

The group that posts on the San Antonio boards is generally pretty small and friendly and we've gotten to know each other over time. Part of our familiarity leads to occasional sarcasm, but that's no excuse. Sorry.

I am glad you're here. Please don't let my silly face dissuade you. The more dialogue the better and the more wacky ideas the better. After all, I am the one who still supports tearing down the Alamodome to build a speculative high-rise community. Now that is ...

Kyle

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 3:11 PM

Quote:
I would never compare the Tower of Americas with the use and function of the buildings of San Diego and Austin. The tower of Americas, as said, is nothing more than a restaurant. Tallest thing between Houston and LA?---are we just courting the road to LA and Houston? The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio. Your point seems to be, if it is tall, it should stay. By that standard, I am guessing all the light structures along the highway should be landmarks, there tall and, most likely if more than one person could fit, would have a great view of the city. The point was to make something with total use of todays engineering. A city “icon” can only be fresh for so long. We cannot rely on just the past. We have to be innovative, new, and inventive. Adding Chart and 4D ride, whatever that is, is not going to cut it.
I'd imagine you and LeCorbusier would have been pretty good friends, he wanted to tear down all of Paris and "rebuild" it with endless highrise apartment blocks.

I doubt anyone here would say the ToA is the classiest-looking thing in the world, but to say it is just a restaurant is akin to saying that the Alamo is just an old church. The tower symbolizes a time in the city's past when the world's eyes were trained on San Antonio, when for once in the history of this history-obsessed place there was no foot dragging or hand wringing about preservation or scale; they simply went out and built something modern (for the time) and iconic, and did so in record time. If you're unfamiliar with this history (hint: there's a reason its called "Hemisfair tower") I'd suggest boning up on it before you go around trying to tear stuff down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_World%27s_Fair

Also, there's nothing wrong with the Milam building. Go to any city in the country and you'll find similar buildings mixed in amongst the modern glass towers.

Welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:03 PM

Quote:
The point was made not to take it away from being a "landmark" but to state that it has been hindering development of bigger projects with a much bigger (likely) economic potential to the city of San Antonio.
Hindering? What and how is the tower hindering anything? Do you think someone is going to build just for the sake of building? Look around downtown; there are plenty of places to build if there was any real demand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio