HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 3:49 PM

The owner of Hermanos also owns the last vacant space at the Ashdown (the spot just east of their restaurant). They are supposedly opening up a dessert/cafe, the last I heard.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
The owner of Hermanos also owns the last vacant space at the Ashdown (the spot just east of their restaurant). They are supposedly opening up a dessert/cafe, the last I heard.
This is great news for the area. Noel is quite the entrepreneur, something like his 3rd venture in the Exchange area and a guy who took a chance on 360 after it was mothballed for years. Hoping it sticks and works out!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:41 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally the owner of Hermanos wanted to expand the restaurant/lounge, and it was approved at the committee level, but the owner backed out when too many people who lived in the building complained.

Good Guy Owner: gets approval from the city to increase the size of his restaurant but doesn't because people in the building don't want it bigger.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...dd/2012/m12024

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Originally the owner of Hermanos wanted to expand the restaurant/lounge, and it was approved at the committee level, but the owner backed out when too many people who lived in the building complained.

Good Guy Owner: gets approval from the city to increase the size of his restaurant but doesn't because people in the building don't want it bigger.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...dd/2012/m12024
I live there. Its a shame it didn't go through. Some people in my building don't understand the value that a great restaurant brings to the neighborhood. The dessert/cafe was plan B . The noise level for that type of establishment is significantly lower than a restaurant/lounge with live music.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
I live there. Its a shame it didn't go through. Some people in my building don't understand the value that a great restaurant brings to the neighborhood. The dessert/cafe was plan B . The noise level for that type of establishment is significantly lower than a restaurant/lounge with live music.
The residents understand the value of a great restaurant but Hermanos is a terrible neighbor to the residents. They don't object to a restaurant but one that is run in the same manner as Hermanos.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:20 PM

How many residential units in the East Exchange?

Considering all residential buildings (Ashdown, Strand, Sky, District Condos, etc.) in the East Exchange (including those under development like Sky II and 132 James as well as rentals such as H2O), does anyone know the overall number of units in that area?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
The residents understand the value of a great restaurant but Hermanos is a terrible neighbor to the residents. They don't object to a restaurant but one that is run in the same manner as Hermanos.
Can you elaborate on how this particular establishment is a "terrible neighbor", "run in the same manor as this establishment"..how?....is this objection personal/work related....etc....perspective is sometimes required to understand any particular post?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Read the letters.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Read the letters.
Ok.

Quote:
RE: 179 Bannatyne AVE. Unit A
The Director of Planning, Property and Development Department hereby orders that a
Conditional Use under Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-Law No. 100/2004 for the establishment of a combined restaurant and drinking establishment to permit as follows:
1) a floor area of 10,430 square feet (968.9 square metres);
2) a capacity exceeding 100 patrons is APPROVED on "the land", subject to the following condition(s) which the Director of Planning, Property and Development Department considers necessary to ensure compliance with criteria (a) to (c) above, namely:
Quote:
Mixed-use buildings are an important ingredient in the urban environment, although there can often be some friction between commercial and residential uses, especially in older structures.
The appellants have cited noise issues from live music in Hermanos Restaurant on the main floor.
7 letters were also included opposing this dev. 7,athough 1 was apparently speaking for the 100 tenants of the building (mgt.)? Where are the signatures? Where are the 93 others who are complaining about disallowing the dev. who didn't voice thier opinion. If the noise/smell was so bad I would have been 1 st in line to oppose this dev.

If tenants moved into this urban,downtown building, restaurants, bars, music,events are all possible nightly, 24/7 hr. traffic should be expected. Ever lived on Portage ave St James fronting the st. (My Choice), Loud all night. Anyway 6+1 mgt. signatures out of 100 should not determine the vibrancy or lifestyle choices of any neigborhood. 51% We'll talk.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I never had a problem with Hermanos when I lived there. However, it seemed to me that there were quite a few old fuddy-duddy types living there at that time. I image they were most vocally opposed to an expansion of Hermanos.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Ok.

7 letters were also included opposing this dev. 7,athough 1 was apparently speaking for the 100 tenants of the building (mgt.)? Where are the signatures? Where are the 93 others who are complaining about disallowing the dev. who didn't voice thier opinion. If the noise/smell was so bad I would have been 1 st in line to oppose this dev.

If tenants moved into this urban,downtown building, restaurants, bars, music,events are all possible nightly, 24/7 hr. traffic should be expected. Ever lived on Portage ave St James fronting the st. (My Choice), Loud all night. Anyway 6+1 mgt. signatures out of 100 should not determine the vibrancy or lifestyle choices of any neigborhood. 51% We'll talk.

1.100 patrons relates to the size of restaurant not the number of "tenants" (though the building does have 99 units.) Also, they are condo owners and not tenants.
2. The condo board is elected by the condo owners and sent letters on their behalf.
3. The Mgmt company gets most of the complaints directly from the condo owners. They know the issues and have had to try to work with this non-cooperative restaurant. That is why they sent the letter.
4. The residents are not opposed to developments just ones done by a restaurant with a poor track record and complete disregard for neighbours. (EG failure to sound proof, disregard for waste rules, indifference to security, etc.)
5. Not to be rude but you really don't know what you are talking about and don't have any first hand knowledge. I understand you want to think of this as a simple issue where suburbanites move downtown and then complain that it is too loud but it is more complex.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 1:15 PM

Quote:
1.100 patrons relates to the size of restaurant not the number of "tenants" (though the building does have 99 units.) Also, they are condo owners and not tenants.
2. The condo board is elected by the condo owners and sent letters on their behalf.
3. The Mgmt company gets most of the complaints directly from the condo owners. They know the issues and have had to try to work with this non-cooperative restaurant. That is why they sent the letter.
4. The residents are not opposed to developments just ones done by a restaurant with a poor track record and complete disregard for neighbours. (EG failure to sound proof, disregard for waste rules, indifference to security, etc.)
5. Not to be rude but you really don't know what you are talking about and don't have any first hand knowledge. I understand you want to think of this as a simple issue where suburbanites move downtown and then complain that it is too loud but it is more complex.
1-Yes i Know 100 patrons, 99 units would actually equate to even more people living in the "CONDO" probably more like 150.Tenant - 3. an occupant or inhabitant of any place. Irrelavent in talking about inhabitants of any place, refer to them as owners or tenants could have siad resident as well.
2- Condo board elected by owners? Isn't this always the case? and....
3-Complaints sent. How many owners complainded 5 10 20 more?
4-Noise, Smells, security should be addressed if their are ongoing problems with a current establishment but who's to say the same would occur in the future with another one.
5- You know, I'm ok with peoples opinions when thier not rude, are you not the poster that put up a picture of someone a while back..hmmmm..you obviously have 1st hand exp. You own a condo in the block?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I never had a problem with Hermanos when I lived there. However, it seemed to me that there were quite a few old fuddy-duddy types living there at that time. I image they were most vocally opposed to an expansion of Hermanos.
1st hand experience from an individual who lived thier. I always like hearing both sides of a situation, sometimes the minority, not knowing the actual # of complaints, can change the results for the majority.Demographics,and even influence to name a few can skew the perception of many, even if they are in the minority.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 8:51 PM

Found this one on the city bid opportunities site. Seems like a master plan of sorts for the east exchange. Prioritizing improvements based on needs and conditions. Also seems to touch on a lot of the topics that have been discussed here regarding land use etc. Also seems like some items may be out of date. James Ave streetscaping scheduled for spring.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2013&YEAR=2013

Closes Friday, September 20, 2013

Bid Opportunity No. Description

705-2013 Request for Proposal for Professional Consulting Services for the North East Exchange District Engineering Study
Submission Deadline: 4:00 p.m. Winnipeg time
Contracts Officer: Coleen Groening Telephone: (204) 986-2491 Email
Documents Documents

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Found this one on the city bid opportunities site. Seems like a master plan of sorts for the east exchange. Prioritizing improvements based on needs and conditions. Also seems to touch on a lot of the topics that have been discussed here regarding land use etc. Also seems like some items may be out of date. James Ave streetscaping scheduled for spring.

http://winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/FolderCont...2013&YEAR=2013

Closes Friday, September 20, 2013

Bid Opportunity No. Description

705-2013 Request for Proposal for Professional Consulting Services for the North East Exchange District Engineering Study
Submission Deadline: 4:00 p.m. Winnipeg time
Contracts Officer: Coleen Groening Telephone: (204) 986-2491 Email
Documents Documents

I believe thos map is out of date. James st parkade was to start 2012 and be complete next year with 100 residential. Not happening.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
I believe thos map is out of date. James st parkade was to start 2012 and be complete next year with 100 residential. Not happening.
Yeah that's what I noticed too. Map is dated June 2012. Same with the pumping station development. Says most of the structure is to be demolished, but we now know that's not the case. Still good to see there's some planning going on.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
James Ave streetscaping scheduled for spring.
It would be nice to see this happen soon with Sky II ready for occupancy in a couple months and District Condos' 132 James occupancy set for May 2014.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
i heard rumors yesterday that sky underground parking lot had a watermain break last week? and filled 3 feet of water!! anyone living there confirm that? wonder if the construction on sky2 or mere hotel had anything to do with that....
Drove by Sky tonight - the parking lot on northeast corner is completely dug up. Looks like some serious waterworks repairs going on there or something! Not sure how long it's been like that but there must be some displaced parkers as a result.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Drove by Sky tonight - the parking lot on northeast corner is completely dug up. Looks like some serious waterworks repairs going on there or something! Not sure how long it's been like that but there must be some displaced parkers as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Yes, that's what happened, on the Saturday of August Long Weekend. Well, not certain about the 3 feet of water, I think 3 inches is more correct. My bike was down there and the water line was just a few inches up the tire (I could be wrong though about the height of the water - I was not in town when it happened).

We currently get our water from the fire hydrant behind the building - they've temporarily connected our water supply to it.

The parkade just opened up for parking again a couple of days ago for the majority of people. All last week people were parking on the streets or in lots. My spot is right where the water main break was - I'll be out of an underground spot for much longer.
Maybe rypinion could provide some insight.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe rypinion could provide some insight.
Should be done shortly. There ended up being multiple leaks in the watermain, so they had to redo it right to the street.

There's a few spots (including mine) in the parkade which are off limits - we have a pass for one of the nearby impark lots until fixes are complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan