HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well your friend appears to be a little sensitive if it warrants the comment by you...

The cost of conversion is high and they may take the position to wait for a commercial Tennant is better for them. Many property owners take the position put your money where your mouth is.

It's very easy for people with no financial stake to tell others what to do.

Your friend should not be so indignant but rather purchase a little home in Point Douglas to renovate. With that experience they may become a little thicker skinned and have a more credible voice to add to the discussion on the urban revival in the core...

I hear there are grants for that.
Oh? Who said she was upset? We laughed, not cried. Sitting on space you have not been able to rent out for years does not seem logical. I suspect they have heard this a lot hence the snarky response.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Jan 20, 2016 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Many property owners take the position put your money where your mouth is.

It's very easy for people with no financial stake to tell others what to do.
This particular property owner has held on to this building and all it's underused space despite many people offering to "put their money where their mouths are".

The interesting thing is that he has even reached out to developers to help him better develop and re-purpose his properties - but then nothing ever comes out of it. I suspect the idea that some actual money will need to spent up front kills any development prospects.

Just one of many difficult (I usual say delinquent) property owners in and around downtown who sit on buildings, waiting for a payday that is never going to come.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Oh? Who said she was upset? We laughed, not cried. Sitting on space you have not been able to rent out for years does not seem logical. I suspect they have heard this a lot hence the snarky response.
They were making more than enough money from parking not to have to worry that much about some unused CRUs.

Obviously their plan worked out and now all of the units are occupied with successful businesses.

Shows what your friend knows.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:43 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
They were making more than enough money from parking not to have to worry that much about some unused CRUs.

Obviously their plan worked out and now all of the units are occupied with successful businesses.

I think he's talking about the Reiss Furs building, not the Bedford Parkade. From what I remember, Bedford owns a few buildings in the West Exchange.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

Wasn't it a stipulation of the City to put the CRU's in that parkade? And to rebuild the historical facade?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:46 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I think he's talking about the Reiss Furs building, not the Bedford Parkade. From what I remember, Bedford owns a few buildings in the West Exchange.
Correct. I was also referring to the Reiss Furs building, and his other holdings in the area.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:46 PM

^ Yeah, Reiss Furs was surprisingly empty for years, even after the Exchange started to take off in the 00s. I guess they were, like so many Winnipeg landlords, just waiting for the big fish to land at their doorstep.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:

As others have mentioned, I was talking about the Bedford building. In terms of the parkade, was significant public funding not part of it? It also took a long time for those CRUs to be rented. That company is far from being a notable example of benevolence. As for all that money they are making from parking, government made that possible.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Jan 20, 2016 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 5:39 PM

Here's a blurb on the parkade. $8M construction cost. Doesn't outline funding sources.

http://www.ft3.ca/projects/office/officeBedford.php

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 5:45 PM
BANNED

I do remember hearing the city/CV making it possible.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, Reiss Furs was surprisingly empty for years, even after the Exchange started to take off in the 00s. I guess they were, like so many Winnipeg landlords, just waiting for the big fish to land at their doorstep.
somebody was working on the second floor of the Reiss owned Bedford building starting in the spring of 2015. There was a dumpster being fed by a waste chute for a few weeks.

I wonder if the Reiss family feud may be somewhat of a factor in the lack of development of their buildings. If the court case is still winding its way through the system and the son wins, he may get more money as the properties appreciate if filled with paying tenants.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...192212871.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
somebody was working on the second floor of the Reiss owned Bedford building starting in the spring of 2015. There was a dumpster being fed by a waste chute for a few weeks.

I wonder if the Reiss family feud may be somewhat of a factor in the lack of development of their buildings. If the court case is still winding its way through the system and the son wins, he may get more money as the properties appreciate if filled with paying tenants.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...192212871.html
Ouch!

No one wins in that mess...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:39 PM
Ignore these four words.

Plans for the North East Exchange from the open house held yesterday:

http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/const...-28-BOARDS.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:48 PM

^Thanks. I like how the City posts the boards a week or two in advance of the open house now. So you can think about it for a bit, before going down there to bitch. haha I mean give your opinions.

Overall I think the Cities doing a great job of enhancing the area. Makes the area that much more inviting with a fresh street scene.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:07 PM

^^ Quite happy with the phased plan 2016-2017, particularily with Lilly, Jhon Hirsch this year and Pacific to follow.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:41 PM

I spoke to them about James Ave being left out and of course it's contingent on "the parkade" being built which the City really wants to happen, but it's in the hands of the Province to make it happen.

The City has money set aside to do James as soon as the parkade gets rolling. It involves lots of water work infrastructure and streetscaping like elsewhere including the narrowing of the street. They do seem to see James as a key street because of it's connection to Stephen Juba park.

No indication of timeline. Overall, glad to see the interest and the ongoing development of the area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:42 PM

I think some others may have said the parkade has some legs recently. But I may being dreaming. It's early and I'm tired today haha

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think some others may have said the parkade has some legs recently. But I may being dreaming. It's early and I'm tired today haha
Yeah, we've heard RFP coming again. I should stop whining about it and just be patient I suppose.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Yeah, we've heard RFP coming again. I should stop whining about it and just be patient I suppose.
It will have to wait until after Apr 20th now (election).....and survive the new government.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:26 PM

It's a nice plan but I'm kind of pessimistic about the upgrades for John Hirsch... if it keeps getting treated as a backlane with dumpsters, etc., then that's the character that it will maintain.

The other streets look spot on though, I'm glad that Lily will get an upgrade because it's sorely needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan