HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 7:22 PM

No, STOP, I dont wanna hear anymore. My bubble is getting bursts and I cant take it. It would so cool to have the glass follow the wavy texture (quickly becoming an overused term ) and Im gonna still hold on to the belief that thats what Jeanne will do. Allow me to live in ignorance, please. I hope its a surprise at the end with the detailed renderings.

Damn you two, Steely and Adam!! Although looking at the second set of flooplans I see something different but what do I know.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 7:24 PM

I dont post here often, cause I dont really have anything to say that would be constructive or bring any benefit to the thread, but I dig this building...

And, what is going on construction/proposal wise in this city is ridiculous...I cant wait to watch things grow in a couple years...

We may see that I-Robot skyline someday after all!!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 7:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree
No, STOP, I dont wanna hear anymore. My bubble is getting bursts and I cant take it. It would so cool to have the glass follow the wavy texture (quickly becoming an overused term ) and Im gonna still hold on to the belief that thats what Jeanne will do. Allow me to live in ignorance, please. I hope its a surprise at the end with the detailed renderings.
well, if that's what you're hoping to be surprised with, you'll be sadly disappointed. however, the building is actually much better the way it is being designed than the way you're hoping it will turn out. if the glass curtain wall was to be brought out to the undulating edges of this building, it would veer towards the "blobbish" (along with being absurdly and prohibitively expensive). with the clearly articulated floor plates/balconies extruded beyond the perimeter wall of the glass box we have something that comes close to what an IBM/'marina city love child might look like.

this proposal is all chicago and it's all awesome.

move over fordham spire, i have a new favorite chicago skyscraper proposal to look forward to. my only lament thus far is that this stunner won't sit directly on the river. oh well, i suppose you can't have it all .

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 23, 2006 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
well, if that's what you're hoping to be surprised with, you'll be sadly disappointed. however, the building is actually much better the way it is being designed than the way you're hoping it will turn out. if the glass curtain wall was to be brought out to the undulating edges of this building, it would veer towards the "blobbish" (along with being absurdly and prohibitively expensive). with the clearly articulated floor plates/balconies extruded beyond the perimeter wall of the glass box we have something that comes close to what a IBM/'marina city love child might look like.

this proposal is all chicago and it's all awesome.

move over fordham spire, i have a new favorite chicago skyscraper proposal to look forward to.
No, I hear what youre saying and Im hugely confident this will turn out awesome either way because they know what theyre doing and I dont but it was just a wish. This is my baby now and I want the best. Move the hell over BVic and Waterwho? and Fordham can kiss my ass, hes taking too long but as soon things take off there I'll be on the bandwagon again but until then AQUA is mine and forever.

Im just excited about where my second home is heading in architecture. OMG, can you imagine if it sat on the river?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Or if we're going there how about instead of a fountain a water, you see how the top is pretty much a block, turn that into a glass block filled with water with light shining from under it at night. And during different times of the year, they change its color according to the holiday. That watery effect lighting up the night sky could come out extremely magnificent. I believe with the effect that light has on water, it would be different and classy, so NO fish request people.
What about my crown proposal? No takers. I think if done right it would be so cool.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:14 PM

I've just seen a rendering of the building and it looks exactly like the model. I can't give you the color of the tower though because I don't know. The rendering that I saw was at dusk. BUt the height that I got from the documentation that I saw was 835' 4".

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ excellent work victor. thanks for the height info.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:20 PM

Still a nice heightand it makes sense but its gonna be the design that carries this beauty. Okay, I must stop posting now. Out of the 50 responses, 20 are mine. Im just so excited. Sorry.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:37 PM
Condo Projects Manager

Quote:
Still a nice heightand it makes sense but its gonna be the design that carries this beauty. Okay, I must stop posting now. Out of the 50 responses, 20 are mine. Im just so excited. Sorry.
No need to be sorry. Keep on posting man. We do have something in common, 773, we are both passionate about this building and we both plan on moving into it. I'll see you there man.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 8:54 PM

Quote:
we have something that comes close to what an IBM/'marina city love child might look like.

^This was exactly my initial thought. Also the balconies must have some sort of protective railing or barrier. My guess is, is that this barrier would most likely be glass similar to 600 N. Faibanks. If this balcony glass is a different shade or color from the building glass (lets say one is more greenish and one is more blueish) I think the effect would be quite dramatic and really give the building the appearence of having waves in motion.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Or if we're going there how about instead of a fountain a water, you see how the top is pretty much a block, turn that into a glass block filled with water with light shining from under it at night. And during different times of the year, they change its color according to the holiday. That watery effect lighting up the night sky could come out extremely magnificent. I believe with the effect that light has on water, it would be different and classy, so NO fish request people.
Great idea. We could even combine our ideas. How about an original glass pyramid, filled with water, lit at night, with one huge, or even multiple, fountains on top. Maybe even some kind of torch. Ok, now we are getting carried away.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 9:41 PM
THAT Guy

Save that for the Olympics

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I've just seen a rendering of the building and it looks exactly like the model. I can't give you the color of the tower though because I don't know. The rendering that I saw was at dusk. BUt the height that I got from the documentation that I saw was 835' 4".
Yup, I saw it too, and LOVE IT. Also on another note the Lake Shore East shops in front of 340 on the Park (Park Level) have been redesigned, for the better too. Glassy, modern and an escalator will be carved through the structure allowing access to Upper Randolph Street from the park level.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2006, 11:52 PM
THAT Guy

Sounds interesting.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 12:10 AM
Content provider

I don't think it needs a crown, but I'd love it if the whole thing were somehow lit at night.
It could look like a big slice of water.
cool

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 12:25 AM
Original Member since '99

thats a great looking building

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii
I don't think it needs a crown, but I'd love it if the whole thing were somehow lit at night.
It could look like a big slice of water.
cool
It's residential, they're not going to light it.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this. On one hand, it's very ogranic, possibly making Fordham Spire fit in better. On the other, it's not very exciting. It's curvy, and that's about it.

It's also going to be a bitch to model.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 12:42 AM
~

Quote:
you're already a "hater" going off of some preliminary cardboard model?

"holy rush to judgement, batman!"
i am sort of disappointed too. Gang made mention of breaking with conventional high-rise design to give us something different from every side. What we're getting is a lot of waves masking the rectangle. I really thought she was going to deconstruct this thing down some and then add the "waves".

ah well. still looking forward to the next round of more detailed renderings. I'm sure the building will come to life. I trust she'll/they'll make the right judgements to refine this puppy.

Last edited by alex1; Feb 24, 2006 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:09 AM

^ it may work better with the balconies then just as a blob... the height speaks to the thin floorplates the balconies will have, if this one has wall to wall/floor to ceiling windows then we should get a nice piece of work.

It's really too bad more of LSE didn't have this interesting look, it is really a form open for experimentation across a few towers. I must say the form factor is great - but then again I love Trump World Tower.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 2:34 AM

They'd have to turn the fountain off during windy days. I think it would otherwise be "raining" on the leeward side of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive