HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 9:08 PM

Seeing is believing!

And I want to see those goddamn renderings and drawings myself. To be honest, they probably should have had some kind of international architectural competition.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 9:16 PM

somebody break the renderings soon, it sounds reasonably promising (except the nightclub part, chicago has a good scene already and I'm worried about trying to force it in the Loop)... still hoping this is amazing...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 9:39 PM

Check out chicagobusiness.com for two smallish pics and 108northstate.com for a few others.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 10:18 PM

^ thanks for the heads up.

I like the tower seen in the 2nd pic, probably because of the open space between the tower/base (yet still covered in glass).

I'd like to see more of the CTA info display, will it be the visual centerpiece?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2004, 11:29 PM

Hmm. I'm a little worried it's going to look like it belongs on North Michigan Avenue.

I like the idea of an international architecture competition.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 12:52 AM

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 1:09 AM

CORNER OF RANDOLPH & DEARBORN STREETS
Along Randolph Street, 108 North State Street's exterior features interfacing night clubs, restaurants and entertainment venues, as well as an "artistic Frieze" - a dramatic, multi-colored artistic ribbon that incorporates public art into the broader architectural scheme.

CORNER OF STATE & RANDOLPH STREETS
Along State Street, 108 North State Street will feature a combination of established contemporary, emerging and international retailers, as well as a unique wellness environment connected to a green roof and terraces. A 300-unit residential tower will be located above the retail stores. The dramatic, multi-colored "artistic frieze" creates a strong, vibrant architectural centerpiece for the project.

CORNER OF STATE & WASHINGTON STREETS
The 21st Century shopping experience along State Street leads to a 400,000-square-foot office tower on Washington Street. The dramatic, multi-colored "artistic frieze" flows along the exterior of the building from the residential tower at State and Randolph Streets to the corner of State and Washington Streets.

The Mills Corp. ~ Perkins & Will

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 1:21 AM

Thanks for the artistic renderings Tom

Looks good for the town (better than 1 huge anchor store) but I hope the quality is there - it's not a clean form, but can still be fascinating if done right (let's see the studio, cta station, and office tower)

edit: just took a good look, right now the towers are too square and basic, I'm hoping for something better... it'd be nice to get something more dynamic - I refer to Sony Center Berlin yet again.

Last edited by HK Chicago; Sep 2, 2004 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 3:04 AM

Quote:
We look at this as an interior Daley Plaza," Mr. Jacobsen says, explaining that art will be a major feature of the three-tower development. One tower will consist of 450,000 square feet of office space; one will be a 300-unit residential tower and another will be a 300-room hotel.
Three towers and all the other stuff on that little space. How tall? As I would imagine they would have to be skinny buildings.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 4:26 AM

WHO IS THE ARCHITECT????????????

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 7:28 AM
Vertigo City

dissapointing, IMO. i excepted too much i guess.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 12:43 PM
Content provider

ralph johnson

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 1:36 PM

Key parts of the plan are unfinished. The design for much of the Dearborn frontage, which currently houses a Commonwealth Edison substation and an entrance to the CTA, is still being worked on. The CTA has agreed to modify its rail system to offer nonstop trains serving O'Hare and Midway airports from Block 37.

The plan included the high-rises, but only as concepts Jacobsen called "placeholders.'' Their look and height will depend on market demand

I consider this very good news, the towers are my biggest disappointment.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 2:11 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

When I hear the words "4 to 5 story podium" it always reminds me of filler songs on an album whose sales are being carried by a hit single.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 3:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here is the trib article form today:

<div style="width:80%;margin:auto;border:solid 1px;padding:5px;">
A quiet proposal for Block 37
Daley is low-key on plan in wake of prior failures in development

By Gary Washburn
Tribune staff reporter
Published September 2, 2004

Without a hint of the fanfare that usually accompanies such announcements--and with Mayor Richard Daley a safe distance away--the wraps came off the long-awaited development proposal for Block 37 Wednesday.

In a legal filing with City Hall that seeks a zoning change, Mills Corp. of Arlington, Va. disclosed details of a shimmering residential, retail and commercial complex designed by Chicago architect Ralph Johnson of Perkins & Will.

But Daley, who usually revels in such announcements, took a decidedly low-key approach after presiding four years ago at the festive unveiling of a project for the block that went nowhere, the latest in a string of failed plans for the high-profile but long-vacant property.

At the time, Daley called the development "an absolute done deal" and one that was "well worth waiting for."

City officials have worked closely with Mills after selecting the company as Block 37's developer more than two years ago.

Nevertheless, Daley on Wednesday commented on the proposal only when asked by reporters. He said he has not "looked at it in detail yet," adding that "we are going to look at it very quickly" as the city's formal review process begins.

Planning Commissioner Denise Casalino was similarly circumspect, declining to reveal possible tenants and other details.

"They have a great design they have presented to us," she said. "I think it is a real project, but I am not vetting it all out in the press right now."

Steve Jacobsen, Mills' executive vice president, vowed that the development will become a reality.

"Mills is the one that can deliver, and I think that is what the city saw in us," he said. "We have always delivered, and we will deliver again here."

The new proposal calls for a shopping center "podium" of four or five stories that would cover the block, bounded by State, Dearborn, Randolph and Washington Streets.

An office building, hotel and residential tower also would rise from the site.

Below the complex would be a "state of the art" Chicago Transit Authority station where travelers headed for O'Hare International and Midway Airports would be able to check their bags before boarding trains to catch flights.

An electronic obelisk rising several stories from the station through a huge atrium into the shopping center above would flash information, from stock market updates to weather forecasts.

It also would have departure times for flights at the airports, advising travelers of delays so they could use the downtime dining and shopping inside the complex rather than sitting in airport terminals, Jacobsen said.

"This is a tremendous milestone today," he declared. The development would represent a "centerpiece" for the city and a "world-class urban destination," he said.

A floor or two of the exterior skin of the shopping center portion of the complex would be wrapped in a work of art, yet to be commissioned, that would add to the development's sense of excitement, Jacobsen said.

"We are talking about creating a piece of art that is part of the architecture," he said.

Business and civic leaders who were briefed earlier this week by Mills officials were shown a possible concept, described as an electronic work reminiscent of the one by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa at the new Crown Fountain in Millennium Park.

Jacobsen declined to provide the names of retailers expected to sign leases for the stores.

"We have had tremendous interest," but "it would be inappropriate for me to discuss those negotiations right now," he said. "This is not about `big boxes.' This is about incredible retail . . . a great array of specialty boutique tenants."

Nightclubs and restaurants would be on the ground level on the Randolph side of the building, facing the street's theater district.

The shopping center also is expected to have a rooftop garden.

Mills, which is expected to seek a city subsidy for the project, hopes to win approvals and begin construction of the shopping center portion next spring. The sequence of development of the three high-rises will depend on market conditions, Jacobsen said.

The hotel is planned for about 300 rooms, and the residential tower for a similar number of apartments or condominiums.

The office building would have more than 400,000 square feet. Mills continues to negotiate with WBBM-Ch. 2, which has discussed leasing space for offices and a street-level studio in the building.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

</div>

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 10:20 PM

I like the concept, PLUS THE ENTIRETY OF THE PROJECT IS STILL VERY VERY SECRET. According to markets, the height of the towers may be very high.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 10:33 PM
Content provider

I don't think any of the towers will poke above the Loop jumble, but this should really be about what's going on at street-level and what kind of public offerings it has. I'm in favor of brightness and a Times-Squarish feel to it. Being adjacent to the theater district should continue to boost activity through there. I don't think height is the primary concern there, we have plenty of height in the works anyway.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 10:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i agree, the loop needs more help at street level than it does at the skyline level.

i am cautiously optimistic about the project from what i've seen so far. i always get a bit nervous when i see bold colors, but if anyone in chicago can handle that correctly, it's ralph johnson.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
^ i agree, the loop needs more help at street level than it does at the skyline level.
As long as the building doesn't look like 55 Wacker. lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive