HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 8:20 AM

WOW ! This one is so much better!
Truly amazing !

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:05 AM
BANNED

Makkah (formerly known as Mecca), needs massive buildings all round the mosque. What they have currently isn't sufficient at all.

I'm not sure which building it was that I passed by in my last visit. It may have been the InterContinental or the Hilton, but I also thought it belonged in Vegas. I think this new development suits the rest of the city. Glassy towers would look odd with the mosque.

BTW, I think non-Muslims can visit Madinah (formerly known as Medina), but not Makkah.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:01 PM
Urban Explorer

A 5-star hotel that holds 65,000 pilgrims to Mecca? Talk about whoring out a religious site...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:11 PM
The City

This structure looks like it will be awe-inspiring when completed. Something of a more traditional design is undoubtedly more suitable for this site.

Being that I could easily pass as a muslim, I'll have to 'pretend' some day and come check it out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:44 PM
The True Avatar

I think this is going to look great once completed. But it does look a bit crowded.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 5:54 PM

Just surprising that this would be acceptable to Muslims to have such a massive building built so close to one of the (or is it THE) holiest sites in their faith. Seems like they could have pushed it back 1000 yards and had a automated tram shuttle people back and forth.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
A 5-star hotel that holds 65,000 pilgrims to Mecca? Talk about whoring out a religious site...
It's all about being practical. There are lots of people who want comfortable accomodation close-by to the mosque. The supply is in response to demand... simple.

As a Muslim, I don't care if a historical building is destroyed, if they break down the walls surrounding the mosque and leave it as an empty yard surrounded by hotels, or if they illuminate it with purple and pink neon lights.

At the end of the day, I want a bed, air conditioning, a clean bathroom, good food, and to be able to pray all day at the mosque.

Why would a rich country like Saudi Arabia settle for bad facilities for pilgrims?

Anyway, Makkah itself was built on the basis of trade and business made from pilgrims even in the pre-Islamic era. The Ka'ba was used by pagans as well.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
nuttin

Damn , that clock tower sucks ass compared to the rest

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 10:53 PM
I love boxes.

This thing appears to be more of a mountain and less of a skyscraper. The size is the only thing that impresses me.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 11:25 PM

I definitely would rather have seen the 2005 version under construction. The clock ruins this in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2007, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
Actually Saudi Arabia allows western tourists into the country since two years ago. But you have to travel in a group and the annual number of tourist visas is pretty limited. So pretty much the same as with North Korea, which also allows tourists these days.

Into the country? Yes. To Mecca?

I wonder if they made an exception for non-Muslim architects, engineers, and construction managers or not.

That said.....this tower is impressive indeed if anything for it's sheer mass. How does this rank in the world in terms of volume and square footage?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 1:51 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScraperCity View Post
I definitely would rather have seen the 2005 version under construction. The clock ruins this in my opinion.
^ This comment is appearing over and over again to the point of being comical. What, exactly, do some of you all have against clocks?

Are we not allowed to put clocks on top of prominent buildings any more, or are only Big Ben and older European buildings entitled to this? Sorry, but I think time is a wonderful symbol, not to mention that it actually serves a practical purpose to have time pieces atop prominent buildings.

Lets also not forget that keeping track of time is important in Islamic culture, as they are supposed to pray 5 times a day.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ This comment is appearing over and over again to the point of being comical. What, exactly, do some of you all have against clocks?

Are we not allowed to put clocks on top of prominent buildings any more, or are only Big Ben and older European buildings entitled to this? Sorry, but I think time is a wonderful symbol, not to mention that it actually serves a practical purpose to have time pieces atop prominent buildings.

Lets also not forget that keeping track of time is important in Islamic culture, as they are supposed to pray 5 times a day.
No, not at all. It's simply ugly.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 4:14 AM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScraperCity View Post
No, not at all. It's simply ugly.
What about a huge digital clock instead of this conventional one ?
Yeah, that would seem a bit unique and cool.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 5:23 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

It's ugly, its out of proportion to the scale of the building. Yes, time is important, and yes, other places have clocks on top of towers, but this is just un-appealing. The clock is on the scale of Las Vegas, which isn't exactly the model city you want the holy city of Mecca being built. Nothing against Islam, if they did this in Rome, the Forbidden City, Bangkok or Jerusalem there would be the same cries of "ugly."

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
It's ugly, its out of proportion to the scale of the building. Yes, time is important, and yes, other places have clocks on top of towers, but this is just un-appealing. The clock is on the scale of Las Vegas, which isn't exactly the model city you want the holy city of Mecca being built. Nothing against Islam, if they did this in Rome, the Forbidden City, Bangkok or Jerusalem there would be the same cries of "ugly."
Think "clock is on the scale of the middle-east" instead of Vegas next time. As far as complete un-warranted tackyness goes the middle-east is quickly becoming "in" in place of Vegas. (cough)Dubai(cough)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:35 AM

I think the clock tower is tacky. But hey, whatever floats Mecca's boat. Not too fond of the statistics though, 577 meters, only 76 floors? A 250-m building can have that much floors! Unless of course a good chunk or all of the floors are bi-level....

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 1:49 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

I'm surprised that the Muslim community allowed the construction of that massive and tall complex, next to the most sacred mosque of this religion. It drawfes it. It looks to me like a sacrilege !! Don't you think ?

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Last edited by yarabundi; Aug 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:39 PM

^YES lol

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Makkah (formerly known as Mecca)
Madinah (formerly known as Medina)
Actually, it is still called Mecca. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name of a city in one language being different than another. Some examples:

German: Koeln
English: Cologne

German: Muenchen
Italien: Monaco di Baviera

German: Aachen
French: Aix-la-Chapelle

German: Genf
English: Geneva

German: Luettich
French: Liège

Polish: Warszawa
English: Warsaw

Russian: Moskva
English: Moscow

German: Lemberg
Ukrainian: Lviv

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive