HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Also, don't forget to take your 2020 census, if you haven't already. I just did ours since we got it in the mail recently. You can do it all online at the link below. It took me less than 5 minutes.

https://my2020census.gov/
Thanks for the PSA. I had filed mine in my pile of get to sometime in the future stuff and forgotten about it. Since I'm stuck working from home, I'll do it this afternoon in between reading and sending lame work emails.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 9:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Thanks for the PSA. I had filed mine in my pile of get to sometime in the future stuff and forgotten about it. Since I'm stuck working from home, I'll do it this afternoon in between reading and sending lame work emails.
By all means, everybody needs to make sure everybody in Austin is counted.
And you need your designated census ID in the census notice sent to you to file online.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 9:38 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Corpus Christi was forgotten about once again, lol. It's metro is at 429,024. It has been passed up by Killeen and will be passed by Brownsville before long.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:17 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Wait...Did I miss something? San Antonio has an official CSA now? When is Austin getting one? Will Austin-San Antonio ever be one together?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Wait...Did I miss something? San Antonio has an official CSA now? When is Austin getting one? Will Austin-San Antonio ever be one together?
Looks like. Frio county.

Austin used to have one, and lost it when Burnet county no longer qualified.

At this point, I think it's pretty good odds we skip a CSA with Burnet again and they just become part of the MSA directly. Lots of commuting starting to come down the 183 corridor.

Looks like all the county and MSA/CSA data is up.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...data-sets.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 11:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Corpus Christi was forgotten about once again, lol. It's metro is at 429,024. It has been passed up by Killeen and will be passed by Brownsville before long.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Looks like. Frio county.

Austin used to have one, and lost it when Burnet county no longer qualified.

At this point, I think it's pretty good odds we skip a CSA with Burnet again and they just become part of the MSA directly. Lots of commuting starting to come down the 183 corridor.

Looks like all the county and MSA/CSA data is up.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...data-sets.html
For SA's case, it looks like Pearsall _just_ crossed the threshold to get 10k in it's "urban cluster", making the whole county officially a micropolitan area.

While Burnet County isn't a micropolitan area, even though it has over 2X the population of Frio.

There probably won't be enough population growth around Burnet (city) for that to happen anytime soon along that route.

But around Marble Falls/Horseshoe bay is interesting. There's a few cities there that are geographically close enough that they might see a 10k urban cluster sooner.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:13 PM

Census data shows Austin added more than 177,000 residents over the last decade, fifth most in the nation:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...in-the-nation/

Quote:
Between 2010 and 2019, Austin went from the 14th-largest city in the U.S. to the 11th largest and added more residents than all but four American cities, according to U.S. Census Bureau data released late May 20.

Austin went from 801,829 residents on April 1, 2010, to 978,908 residents on July 1, 2019, according to the data. That increase of 177,079 residents only trailed Phoenix, Houston, San Antonio and Los Angeles as the most in the country.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Census data shows Austin added more than 177,000 residents over the last decade, fifth most in the nation:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...in-the-nation/
It looks like it'll take two years to hit the million mark since Texas cities were effectively stopped from annexing unincorporated areas with people a couple years ago.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:32 PM
Member since 2001

I'm working on my analysis and projections for metro and CSA populations out to 2050 and I've become a little skeptical of this most recent set of estimates which were released for metro areas (2019).

Anyone notice that the U.S. Census Bureau reduced New York's metro 2010 Census number (April 1, 2010) and its estimates base by more than 670,000 between the release of the 2018 estimates and this year's estimates?!?

They increased and decreased a few others with no real explanation as to why. However, the other changes were relatively minuscule when compared to what they did with New York. That was eye-popping.

The 2010 Census numbers were supposed to be "official" (i.e., locked-in). Maybe not?!? The annual estimates seem to change yearly. But, the Census number is supposed to remain the same.

Hummmmm!

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I'm working on my analysis and projections for metro and CSA populations out to 2050 and I've become a little skeptical of this most recent set of estimates which were released for metro areas (2019).

Anyone notice that the U.S. Census Bureau reduced New York's metro 2010 Census number (April 1, 2010) and its estimates base by more than 670,000 between the release of the 2018 estimates and this year's estimates?!?

They increased and decreased a few others with no real explanation as to why. However, the other changes were relatively minuscule when compared to what they did with New York. That was eye-popping.

The 2010 Census numbers were supposed to be "official" (i.e., locked-in). Maybe not?!? The annual estimates seem to change yearly. But, the Census number is supposed to remain the same.

Hummmmm!
I believe that always happens whenever the boundary definitions change, so that the compare is apples to apples.

Did the NYC MSA (due to changing commuting patterns) lose counties?

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 3:16 PM

Quote:
I believe that always happens whenever the boundary definitions change, so that the compare is apples to apples.

Did the NYC MSA (due to changing commuting patterns) lose counties?
I noticed that too. I don't believe counties are added or removed between Census'.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the NY Metro to be 19.979 million in 2018 and in the new release, 2019, it is 19.216 million. Also in the new release, they reduced the 2010 Census & base estimate numbers by almost 700,000 (like GB pointed out).

It's really weird.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I noticed that too. I don't believe counties are added or removed between Census'.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the NY Metro to be 19.979 million in 2018 and in the new release, 2019, it is 19.216 million. Also in the new release, they reduced the 2010 Census & base estimate numbers by almost 700,000 (like GB pointed out).

It's really weird.
I believe they're (potentially) changed/updated with every ACS.

"Note: Metropolitan Area boundaries can change annually with changes in population and commuting patterns as documented in the American Community Survey, so the Metropolitan Areas published for the latest economic census may be different from those published previously."

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...17-levels.html

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:08 PM

Are you seeing the change in the CSA or the MSA? Or both?

Comparing the 2018 definition of the New York CSA

408 New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area East Stroudsburg, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area Kingston, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area New Haven-Milford, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area Torrington, CT Micropolitan Statistical Area Trenton, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...03-Final.pdf?#

To the 2020 definition

408 New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area
East Stroudsburg, PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Kingston, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area
New Haven-Milford, CT Metropolitan Statistical Area
New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area
Torrington, CT Micropolitan Statistical Area
Trenton-Princeton, NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...in-20-01.pdf?#

It looks like NY lost
Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area
and gained
Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area

The former was 844k and the later is 679k, so that's might be a significant chunk of the difference.

Edit: Actually, looks like the later was just restoring a MSA, so that's probably most of the difference. For both CSA changes and MSA changes

"In February 2013, the MSA was deleted, and the constituent counties became part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA Metropolitan Statistical Areas.[4] During this time, the counties were split into two metropolitan divisions: Orange County was a part of the New York-Jersey City-White Plains, NY-NJ Metropolitan Division, while Dutchess County was in the Dutchess County-Putnam County, NY Metropolitan Division.[5]. The MSA was restored as a separate entity in September 2018.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughk...ropolitan_area

Last edited by Novacek; May 28, 2020 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:09 PM
Austinite

Quote:
I believe they're (potentially) changed/updated with every ACS.

"Note: Metropolitan Area boundaries can change annually with changes in population and commuting patterns as documented in the American Community Survey, so the Metropolitan Areas published for the latest economic census may be different from those published previously."

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...17-levels.html
I seem to recall that Marble Falls was included in the Austin metro area in some form w/in the past 10 years. Austin may have been briefly considered a CSA with Marble Falls as an associated micropolitan area. Wouldn't be surprised if that occurs again in the not too distant future. Suburban growth continues to expand farther and farther west along Tx 71

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I seem to recall that Marble Falls was included in the Austin metro area in some form w/in the past 10 years. Austin may have been briefly considered a CSA with Marble Falls as an associated micropolitan area. Wouldn't be surprised if that occurs again in the not too distant future. Suburban growth continues to expand farther and farther west along Tx 71
Marble falls was a micro SA in 2009, which created a CSA with Austin.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi...010/b10-02.pdf

And then they shortly changed some definition which lead to it no longer being a micro SA.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 9:02 PM

I'm specifically speaking about the MSA. However, on second look, NY's CSA 2010 Census number went up by 2.2 million (between the 2018 and 2019 estimates data).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:31 PM

Austin on brink of becoming nation's 10th largest city, according to demographer
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...ities-in-2021/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:48 PM
Member since 2001

That has been coming for some time. Nonetheless, I don't put too much stock in city populations. A true record of how massive a "city" is would be to analyze its metro (and even its CSA - if applicable).

Austin might become the nation's tenth largest city (proper) soon. However, it's the nation's 29th largest market (by metro population) according to the U.S. Census 2019 estimates.

Conversely, according to the same source, Atlanta is the nation's 37th largest "city." But, its metro is ranked #9 (CSA is #11).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

Conversely, according to the same source, Atlanta is the nation's 37th largest "city." But, its metro is ranked #9 (CSA is #11).
lost a $20 bet once on that. Dude told me Atlanta had less than a million people in the city proper. I thought for sure he was wrong. This was long before smart phones of course.

I'll never think of Austin as a top 10 city, its very misleading. NYC has 4 boroughs that are FAR larger than Austin.

I can't take someone seriously who mentions Austin is anywhere near a top 10 city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin