HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 3:30 AM

Taken by kennedyxpaige @ Flickr

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 12:10 AM

I personally took all of these pics on my vacation on may 24th- june 1st.

These I took from the 33rd floor of the marriot river center

This pic shows that the GH seems shorter than the MR

PICS of the GH and ToA

I have more of these and I have some great shots of the vistanna and I will post them on the vistanna thread.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:05 AM
JACKinBeantown

Nice!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:10 AM

I agree! Some very unique angles!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 3:35 AM

Great pics, especially the one looking straight up BOAP, I rarely find any pictures of that in my searching

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 5:57 AM
Meh

For all the wrong things going on on the city's fringes, and all the flack the city catches for it, San Antonio really does do the right thing in downtown. Great density there. Great looking city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:07 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
For all the wrong things going on on the city's fringes, and all the flack the city catches for it, San Antonio really does do the right thing in downtown. Great density there. Great looking city.
I agree Kevin. The downtown area definately has good density. This weekend I noticed a nice view of downtown from the 410 loop on the northwest side around the Babcock road exit. From that view, the downtown core is very solid and not "spread out".

Being from Austin, I'll show favoritism, but comparing the 2 downtowns is like comparing apples and oranges. I love them both.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
This weekend I noticed a nice view of downtown from the 410 loop on the northwest side around the Babcock road exit. From that view, the downtown core is very solid and not "spread out".
The area from Fred Rd over to Bandera from just inside 410 down to Woodlawn or the Deco Dist provides the best views of the skyline imo, hands down. The view from hwy 90 just southwest of downtown is the only other place that comes close.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 8:40 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I definitly think San Antonio's downtown has the potential to be THE BEST in the state...yes better than Austin's. I feel that once this River North and the mission reach start getting off the ground, you just won't be able to compete with SA. Itll have all of the components, Cultural, residential, commercial, retail, recreational, tourism etc.....I cannot WAIT!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I definitly think San Antonio's downtown has the potential to be THE BEST in the state...yes better than Austin's. I feel that once this River North and the mission reach start getting off the ground, you just won't be able to compete with SA. Itll have all of the components, Cultural, residential, commercial, retail, recreational, tourism etc.....I cannot WAIT!

Me as well, but Austin is getting some of the best lookers I have seen in a while. On the other SA is my home and the river north will be VERY awesome

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 5:48 AM
Meh

Yes, and now if we can only get the old farts on the HDRC to warm up a bit to something different. I'm not saying change downtown San Antonio, just please, please, don't stifle growth with harsh restrictions. I am of course talking about the denied permit for demolishing the 601 N. St. Mary's Building. Not bad a building, but having nothing happen either way, either no demolition and nothing new, or no restoration, is hurting downtown. Something's gotta give.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 2:01 PM

They may be forced to incorporate the old face into the new building. When built, the AT&T HQs was faced with the same problem and it turned out well. I am more concerned with why they want to demolish; what will be built?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:53 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
They may be forced to incorporate the old face into the new building. When built, the AT&T HQs was faced with the same problem and it turned out well. I am more concerned with why they want to demolish; what will be built?
The only "face" i am concerned about at this moment is Kevin's avatar face. Yamma Hamma!! I can't get through a page without shuddering.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Is there any visible construction work still going on at the Grand Hyatt? I was wondering if they're still doing some inside touch ups. Anyone know?
I met with the Convention Center's Project Manager for the Grand Hyatt a couple of weeks ago and he said that they will be working for quite some time to finish up the hotel and its amenities. Don't even ask about the condos, they will still be some time.

The Convention Center is now setting its sites on a major expansion. But first they are trying to get Market Street realigned.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
The Convention Center is now setting its sites on a major expansion. But first they are trying to get Market Street realigned.
I was thinking today how cool it would be if SA could land a political convention in the near future, like Denver and St. Paul this year. Anybody know how far in advance they book those things?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I was thinking today how cool it would be if SA could land a political convention in the near future, like Denver and St. Paul this year. Anybody know how far in advance they book those things?
It would be great if SA could land a political convention. But both parties typically choose the location based on political goals rather than the merits of the host city. If/when Texas becomes a swing state SA would get serious consideration.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
It takes right about 2 years to book a convention. In 1998 San Antonio was a possible host city for the Republican Nat. Convention along with New Orleans, Indianapolis, Philadelphia and New York. Philadelphia was chosen in November of 1998 to host the 2000 convention.

(San Antonio also bid for the 2000 DNC but didn't make the short list as it did for the Republican Convention. LA was chosen to host the DNC in March '99).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
It takes right about 2 years to book a convention. In 1998 San Antonio was a possible host city for the Republican Nat. Convention along with New Orleans, Indianapolis, Philadelphia and New York. Philadelphia was chosen in November of 1998 to host the 2000 convention.

(San Antonio also bid for the 2000 DNC but didn't make the short list as it did for the Republican Convention. LA was chosen to host the DNC in March '99).
Didn't San Antonio make the short list for one of the conventions but lost out to San Diego at the end?
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Didn't San Antonio make the short list for one of the conventions but lost out to San Diego at the end?
I don't know if SA bid for the RNC in '96 which ultimately went to San Diego (probably did) but SA did lose to Chicago in '96 to host the DNC. Chicago and SA were the two finalists.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 1:07 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio