HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:05 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I thought there were requirements to do a certain number of extracurriculars? I recall some of my high school teachers especially spending long hours after class coaching sports, directing drama or planning various types of other events. I'm not sure if elementary school is that demanding in terms of the number of hours, but I would think the act of teaching kids at that level is very hands on and probably pretty draining.
I think that depends on the divisional policy... of which there are like almost 40 or something. Huge issue right there. Aside from that, I don't really bemoan teachers that much, except that some get away with doing nothing, and others are essentially burning themselves out because they actually care and are constantly being asked to deal with more stuff; larger class sizes, more special needs kids, chairing committees (mind you lots of professions are like this), and dealing with stupid (and I mean really fucking dumb) parents who think that teachers should be raising their kids for them and have exactly zero control and discipline.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
My uncle's been the teacher union head a few times now. Teacher for life. His wife, my aunt, now retired teacher. His sister, my aunt, deputy minister of education, teacher for life now at RRC in management.

Believe me they definitely enjoy the summer holidays. During the school year, they are always marking papers, prepping lessons, etc. Go for Sunday diner with the family, they need to leave early to finish papers. Or were doing papers all morning, etc.

If you want a 9-5, don't be a teacher. There's pros and cons to all of it. And yes teachers are super important. Not even just teachers, but the education system in general. My aunt was in charge of the curriculum for a long time. They have schools in China that they partner with. There's a whole ton of stuff going on.

Anyways back to retail. Stealing mattresses ffs. I'd bet those license plates they got were stolen. Can't be that stupid to use your own plate. Or even the vehicle itself stolen. Recommendation for anyone getting plates. Try to get a photo of the VIN in that situation. Sounds like they were in the parking lot while the thugs were loading up. Go to the front and get the VIN. Better than getting the plate. Of course safety first.
I never said they were stealing mattresses unless they were the new self inflating foam ones, looked to me more like that and definitely not pillows. What else does Sleep Centre sell? The vehicle was parked with no one inside the two females ran out with stolen goods while the male (the driver was right behind), they hightailed it out of there pretty quickly, I would have intervened had I known what they were doing!

The vehicle was a newer model which I doubt could even be stolen, sincerely doubt the scum that were stealing would even be smarter enough to use dummy plates or change them out!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:30 PM

I Was at Polo Park Yesterday Something Going On Bluenotes

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:05 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...567945672.html

TORONTO - Home goods retailer Pier 1 Imports Inc. says it has filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States and plans to close all Canadian stores as part of its restructuring process.

The Texas-based company has been struggling with increased competition from budget-friendly online retailers such as Wayfair.

With great access to Polo Park, the Airport, downtown, would be a great location for a mixed-use mid- or hi-rise apartment or condo.,

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
I Was at Polo Park Yesterday Something Going On Bluenotes
Bluenotes is adding instore sections for Aeropostale at a lot of its stores.

Maybe its for that?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:13 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...567945672.html

TORONTO - Home goods retailer Pier 1 Imports Inc. says it has filed for bankruptcy protection in the United States and plans to close all Canadian stores as part of its restructuring process.

The Texas-based company has been struggling with increased competition from budget-friendly online retailers such as Wayfair.

With great access to Polo Park, the Airport, downtown, would be a great location for a mixed-use mid- or hi-rise apartment or condo.,
Only question is - will Cadillac Fairview allow it? And if they do, will any of those shit-disturbing NIMBY's & brass at City Hall try & shut down further residential around Polo Park? IIRC, Pier One was just at the corner of St James and Portage too - so residential use would be perfect. Especially if Structube/EQ3/whatever is next.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:09 PM

^ I thought I saw a City notice in the paper last week for a zoning amendment to a large chunk of land around the Polo Park area - I just glanced at it but it looked like it was somehow connected to CF's push for residential development in that area. So if that's the case, it looks like the wheels may be turning on that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:33 PM

Is residential permitted at all? Or is it a height restriction? Or both.

Outright ban on residential seems ridiculous. I used to live near Mount Royal. When I moved in, I 100% knew we were going to live under the flight path. It actually wasn't that bad as was cool when things like fighter jets came in for landing.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is residential permitted at all? Or is it a height restriction? Or both.

Outright ban on residential seems ridiculous. I used to live near Mount Royal. When I moved in, I 100% knew we were going to live under the flight path. It actually wasn't that bad as was cool when things like fighter jets came in for landing.
Both IIRC. There are height restrictions and a ban on new residential dating back to 1997 - which is absurd considering there are loads of homes and MURBs in that area that were there way before the days of modern noise mitigation techniques.

That is such a prime area for residential development. If impact on airport operations is the chief concern, then bump up the soundproofing requirements.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:25 PM

The airport restrictions on residential are absurd, and have held up development of a number otherwise desirable properties along Portage Ave as well as in the Polo Park area. We live in the affected area and we renovated our home several years ago. The acoustic insulation bylaw, as I recall, mandated things like triple pane windows. As a result, we aren't really bothered by planes when inside our home, although we are under the less busy flightpath (mostly planes landing). Sure, in the summer, it can sometimes be loud sitting outside on the deck, but it's buyer beware for sure. Some of the most desirable areas in town are under the flight path (River Heights, Tuxedo), so people obviously aren't deterred from living in this area. Let the market dictate if residential can work in proximity to the airport!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:01 PM

I could accept the WAA's demands if there weren't already thousands of people living in the restricted zone (and there have been for the entire history of the jet era in aviation). Since 1997 construction methods have improved and aircraft have quieted down significantly - I get why WAA is being cautious, but I think we're past the point of having to fret over residential development shutting down 24/7 operations.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I could accept the WAA's demands if there weren't already thousands of people living in the restricted zone (and there have been for the entire history of the jet era in aviation). Since 1997 construction methods have improved and aircraft have quieted down significantly - I get why WAA is being cautious, but I think we're past the point of having to fret over residential development shutting down 24/7 operations.
Not a lawyer so I don't know how well this could work, but I wonder if they could find a way to get caveats put in to the new residential building documents, much like how Shaw or Hydro have the right to go on a property if they need to do maintenance on their infrastructure. The caveat would say that the residents and their tenants have to accept that the airport will continue 24h operations and that noise related to the operations is simply a fact of life there.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Bluenotes is adding instore sections for Aeropostale at a lot of its stores.

Maybe its for that?
It's converting to a full out Aeropostale. Feb 27 opening

Last edited by cheswick; Feb 20, 2020 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:14 PM

I Heard Marshalls And HomeSense is Coming To St Vital Centre

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Not a lawyer so I don't know how well this could work, but I wonder if they could find a way to get caveats put in to the new residential building documents, much like how Shaw or Hydro have the right to go on a property if they need to do maintenance on their infrastructure. The caveat would say that the residents and their tenants have to accept that the airport will continue 24h operations and that noise related to the operations is simply a fact of life there.
I suppose theoretically thats possible. But you could also just pass legislation to cover all that. It would be cheaper and quicker
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:25 PM

Marshalls And HomeSense is Coming To St Vital Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
I Heard Marshalls And HomeSense is Coming To St Vital Centre
If it is right inside the mall, who are they replacing or would it a chunk our of where Sears was? I guess a few more like that and all the Sears/Eatons space taken with some renos required obviously.The 2nd floor might be tricky or demolished...If St Vital added a partial second level of retail it would be fine but given the state of brick & mortar retail is in, highly doubtful.

I will also say that there are now so many Winners Marshalls & Homesense they especially the latter are no longer special or unique. When there was just the 1 Homesense it was more special but I wish them luck. Oversaturation can deplete the base you have.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Feb 19, 2020 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Store closings across Canada:

Ten Thousand Villages
Bench
Carlton Cards
La Senza
Thomas Sabo
The Gap
Pier 1 Imports
Things Engraved
Bentley Leathers
Destination Maternity
WOW! Mobile Boutique

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-2020-analysis
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
If it is right inside the mall, who are they replacing or would it a chunk our of where Sears was? I guess a few more like that and all the Sears/Eatons space taken with some renos required obviously.The 2nd floor might be tricky or demolished...If St Vital added a partial second level of retail it would be fine but given the state of brick & mortar retail is in, highly doubtful.

I will also say that there are now so many Winners Marshalls & Homesense they especially the latter are no longer special or unique. When there was just the 1 Homesense it was more special but I wish them luck. Oversaturation can deplete the base you have.
Check out St. Vital sometime, definitely doing what looks like 2nd floor access from inside the mall. Where the kids play place was in front of old sears. The roof is removed.

Edit: just saw of free press site that it is coming and the store will be split between levels.

Last edited by AccordTR; Feb 20, 2020 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:40 AM

old robins that's been vacant forever at moray and portage is set to become a starbucks. good to see some progress along that stale couple blocks of portage.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
old robins that's been vacant forever at moray and portage is set to become a starbucks. good to see some progress along that stale couple blocks of portage.
That's such a huge piece of property. An apartment block would make way more sense there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan