HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Official bilingualism works so well that either official language is a worse choice than what we end up with.
Have you ever been to Belgium or Switzerland? They often use English for lots of advertising and corporate names instead of the national languages.

Not sure if it's good or bad but it is what it is.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I think being in the CPL will have a much better result than the USL for Ottawa - why play second tier American cities when you can play Canadian cities and build actual rivalries
Way better. It was an awful situation that has ended up with an almost perfect resolution. I for one like the foreign involvement and the money that comes with it to a fledgling league.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Have you ever been to Belgium or Switzerland? They often use English for lots of advertising and corporate names instead of the national languages.
I noticed that watching the women's Olympic basketball qualifying from Ostend Belgium last weekend. The PA announcer was English and so was the coach and Belgian team on the bench. I thought that was kinda goofy.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I think being in the CPL will have a much better result than the USL for Ottawa
The Jewel of the Canal awaits Ottawa
May 27, 2010

New Lansdowne Park to be envy of CFL, insiders say ahead of unveiling

Those who have had a glimpse at blueprints for the Lansdowne Park revitalization say the stadium, which will seat roughly 24,000, is absolutely spectacular. That the view from the canal is breath-taking. That Ottawa’s new CFL home will be the envy of the league.

“I think sports fans in Ottawa, and all those interested in all activities relative to the stadium, are going to be very, very excited,” said OSEG frontman Jeff Hunt. “I think it will be the pre-eminent stadium in Canada.”

While the CFL has promised to return to the nation’s capital if the stadium is built, Hunt said “a lot of thought” has also gone into the requirements of a pro soccer team and its fans.

“It was not an after-thought or an add-on,” said Hunt. “Soccer needs were incorporated into the design as well as football elements. I think we’ve struck a great balance.”

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:15 PM
ハルウララ

Some numbers from CPL for 2020 now that the schedule is out:

Total Kilometres Per CPL Club in 2020:
1. HFX Wanderers FC – 66,604 km
2. Pacific FC – 58,310 km
3. FC Edmonton – 57,180 km
4. Cavalry FC – 57,046 km
5. Atlético Ottawa – 50,756 km
6. Valour FC – 46,316 km
7. Forge FC – 48,126 km
8. York9 FC – 47,778 km

Travel distances are down 10% from last season with Ottawa's expansion and a more balanced schedule. HFX's 71K kilometres has declined to 66K km now that they're only travelling to Victoria twice as opposed to three times.

This is with a new balanced schedule for 2020 (eight teams with the inclusion of Ottawa). Single table, single season as opposed to the split last season. Fewer midweek games. Should be a better season on the whole.

https://canpl.ca/article/how-the-202...-impacts-clubs

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 5:18 PM

It seems the CPL has replaced minor league baseball in Canada in terms of popularity. Back in the 90's you had Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver all drawing well for minor league ball and of course the jays and expos for major league today that is not the case at all and I do not foresee baseball coming back to 90's levels of popularity again in this country.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
It seems the CPL has replaced minor league baseball in Canada in terms of popularity. Back in the 90's you had Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver all drawing well for minor league ball and of course the jays and expos for major league today that is not the case at all and I do not foresee baseball coming back to 90's levels of popularity again in this country.
The Vancouver Canadians baseball team have large crowds. Often selling out in the summer at Nat Bailey Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:34 PM

The Canadians draw great, but without a unifying league and a grand vision for the country it can't compare to what the CPL can bring if successful. Soccer allows leagues and teams to participate in a global market for players and branding, and through some mechanisms, allows you to fight for a chance to compete against any team in the world.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:

Total Kilometres Per CPL Club in 2020:
1. HFX Wanderers FC – 66,604 km
2. Pacific FC – 58,310 km
3. FC Edmonton – 57,180 km
4. Cavalry FC – 57,046 km
5. Atlético Ottawa – 50,756 km
6. Valour FC – 46,316 km
7. Forge FC – 48,126 km
8. York9 FC – 47,778 km
Wrong distance or wrong ranking?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
The Canadians draw great, but without a unifying league and a grand vision for the country it can't compare to what the CPL can bring if successful. Soccer allows leagues and teams to participate in a global market for players and branding, and through some mechanisms, allows you to fight for a chance to compete against any team in the world.
Some of us have been for years telling people on here (until we were blue in the face) that this stuff can actually be fun!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 11:11 PM
ハルウララ

New kits for all teams for 2020: https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/...ague-2020.html

Also, Swoop is now the kit sponsor for Edmonton.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 11:57 PM

Too bad Air Canada didn't sponsor York9.

On another note, love the fact that Atletico is teaming up with Ottawa. Is Quebec City going to join the league next year? Rumor has it 2021 or 2022 looks likely.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 29, 2020 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
New kits for all teams for 2020: https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/...ague-2020.html

Also, Swoop is now the kit sponsor for Edmonton.
Will the uniforms change every year in the CPL?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 2:50 PM

Really unimpressed with these jerseys, but I think three are passable. Pacific is actually nice in my books. HFX and Valour are decent. Don't like the rest.

I have many, many soccer jerseys. Vast majority are high quality Chinese knockoffs and some are legit but liquidated for like $10 at stores here like SVP or Today's Sportswear. So I'm a little bit of a jersey hobbyist.

I like that soccer jerseys are basically a shirt. Can wear them at any age while going going about your day without wondering if you're too old to be wearing a jersey. Or wondering if it's okay to wear a jerseys if it's not game day or playoff time.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:00 PM

I got a few free tickets, so I took the family to see the game. It was a good time. Not really a soccer fan, but the price was right. I would probably go back. I hope the local winnipeg team improves. They came in last place.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 3:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Will the uniforms change every year in the CPL?
IIRC the agreement with Macron is for new kits every year or every other year. The first year kits were meant to be for just last year but i'm not 100% if these kits are just for 2020 or also for 2021.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 1:19 AM
is watching.

Pacific Football Club - community involvement in minor soccer. So I have one of my boys in the inaugural U9-U12 Trident Youth Development program - which is organized and staffed by the Pacific Football Club (PFC) and started January 2020.

It has been a pretty good experience so far. They (PFC) stress that this program is supplementary to the players home club training, which should take precedence. I guess not to step on toes. It has some coaching staff from the club and is very structured. One aspect I really like about the Trident program is that it is open to all Greater Victoria players - so he is training with players from all other associations/clubs.

I wonder if (when?) these programs will produce a local player for the team (assuming they are around in 5 years). We know two local players (U16) that were snapped up by the Whitecaps (MLS) youth development program this year - which also has some involvement in the area.

Overall - I think these programs are crucial for soccer/football sport development and growth in Canada - and another big reason I hope the CPL and PFC are successful long term!

I assume all other clubs are doing the same?

Last edited by craneSpotter; Mar 4, 2020 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Too bad Air Canada didn't sponsor York9.

On another note, love the fact that Atletico is teaming up with Ottawa. Is Quebec City going to join the league next year? Rumor has it 2021 or 2022 looks likely.
The latest rumors point to any combination of Laval, Quebec City or Saskatoon. With the way Ottawa just somehow got a team at practically 11:59PM to start the season nothing will surprise me.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:31 PM

I wonder why the Riders don't try to land a team in Regina seeing that they've got the facility for it?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:21 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder why the Riders don't try to land a team in Regina seeing that they've got the facility for it?
It's a good question.

Joe Belan is leading the group interested in bringing a CPL team to Saskatchewan. The SK Summer Soccer Series is their way of testing the market and putting on games to gauge demand. Those games have all been played at SMF field in Saskatoon.

As it stands right now the rumour is Saskatoon and Quebec City for 2021 expansion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada