HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
No, it's a side effect of inadequate driver training and testing.
Spot on!!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:26 PM

Not excusing the inconsistent nature of lanes in the Province. For the most part, people drive the same routes all the time. So become familiar with the acceleration lanes, or lack there of.

Hit the gas pedal and people will let you in. If Sally in her Hyundai decides to zip ahead and not let you in, just duck in behind. There's no need to sit there and wait, that's bad driver training.

My quip about Sally. Over generalization. But I've found the moms in mid size SUV's are the worst drivers. Can see them zipping along from a long distance. With the young kids, I'm often waiting at play classes or appointments, and the young moms battle each other in their Hyundais for the coveted parking spot, zipping through the lots. It's rather comical if it wasn't so dangerous.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 4:58 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Oh man, merging in this city is still an ongoing contentious issue. It totally comes down to bad driver training.

On a side note, I mentioned this in another thread months ago, but they managed to correct the mistake the city made this past winter where they replaced the merge sign with a yield sign from southbound Archibald to westbound Fermor, with the correct merge sign.

Obviously, with the signage change, none of it mattered since people continue to stop at the merge.

With that said, I feel that the merge lanes will need to be in a slight angle, similar to the merge lanes on Bishop Grandin and Pembina interchange. The full on 90 degree merge is what's throwing off people. Still, people need to be trained to merge onto the road, AND to let merging traffic in.

Sadly, I highly doubt the situation will improve in the foreseeable future.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 6:35 PM

I think poor design and inconsistent signage are the issues, not bad driver training. The City often puts yield signs where there should be merge signs, and there is in many cases grossly inadequate merge space, particularly on higher speed routes. So people often do the only logical thing which is to slow down when merging on streets that they're unfamiliar with.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
No, it's a side effect of inadequate driver training and testing.
I question how some are even getting licenses or if they even have them, two near misses where drivers were completely out to lunch within the past two weeks.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 6:20 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Cell phone usage will remain a factor. I've had a couple near misses myself in the last little while, all of them had cell phones in their hands.

Even my younger co-worker who would pick me up sometimes will have a phone in his hand. Like dude, focus on the road!

Clearly a reality check needs to be in place with driver training, and the consequences relating to them.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Cell phone usage will remain a factor. I've had a couple near misses myself in the last little while, all of them had cell phones in their hands.

Even my younger co-worker who would pick me up sometimes will have a phone in his hand. Like dude, focus on the road!

Clearly a reality check needs to be in place with driver training, and the consequences relating to them.
"In Manitoba, it is illegal to use a hand-held electronic device while driving. This includes everything from smartphones and iPods to tablets.

Drivers caught violating this law receive three-day licence suspension for a first offence and a seven-day suspension for subsequent offences. Upon conviction, they also receive a $672 fine and move five levels down the Driver Safety Rating (DSR) scale.

In serious cases, or when other distractions cause you to violate traffic laws or end up in a collision, you could be charged with a number of offences, including careless driving, dangerous driving or criminal negligence. These can result in more severe penalties (including jail time) and other driving interventions. You can also be charged with whatever offence the distraction caused you to commit, such as failing to obey a traffic signal"

It seems a lot of people are unaware of the financial penalties when they get caught. I see them every day. One was an Uber driver who said he needed to do it to figure out where he was going. I see people holding their phones to their ears. Having you phone in a mount and not using it hands free is no different.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post

My apartment is about 20 metres back from a traffic light. It's astounding how many people immediately look down into their laps, not just at a red, but even as they're approaching it. Easily a third of drivers. The city could many times over cover their costs by renting the unit above me to see be able down into the car cabin, putting a bylaw enforcer in there with a camera and a radio, and stationing a cop a block up the street to pull people over. Both my partner and I have had close calls as pedestrians multiple times at that intersection because drivers don't notice the light has turned green, someone behind honks, and then the distracted and now startled driver then guns the engine and races around the corner toward crossing pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 2:29 AM

As posted earlier, the creek bend road bridge will be replaced to allow greater weight capacity. Once complete it will allow the province to close down the aimes and melnick access points to perimeter.

The official announcement by the province was today,which is contributing to the city's cost.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...hway-1.6507598

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 4:55 PM
What could go wrong?

They will be redoing all of the ramp/bridge intersections at the 59n and north perimeter interchange this summer under warranty. Almost all of the bridge intersections have sunk leaving quite the hump as you approach the bridges at high speed. There are orange caution “bump” signs all over the place at this interchange…quite comical actually.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They will be redoing all of the ramp/bridge intersections at the 59n and north perimeter interchange this summer under warranty. Almost all of the bridge intersections have sunk leaving quite the hump as you approach the bridges at high speed. There are orange caution “bump” signs all over the place at this interchange…quite comical actually.
Flatiron had nothing but problems with our clay. If I remember correctly, they had trouble getting it dry enough to pack. If the repairs are being done on warranty then it is not a failure on the government's part.

It will be interesting to see how Aecon does at St. Mary's.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Flatiron had nothing but problems with our clay. If I remember correctly, they had trouble getting it dry enough to pack. If the repairs are being done on warranty then it is not a failure on the government's part.

It will be interesting to see how Aecon does at St. Mary's.
I remember when they were building those bridges. They kept piling sand against them over and over. They removed some of it. But anyone with construction knowledge knows sand and clay don't mix well. They turn into a soup. It's the very first time I seen anyone do this. Usually it's crushed limestone but never straight up sand. But I'm guessing as they settled a little bit more then normal that the sand was just left and water / clay / sand went to work and then settled way to much.

I've driven truck and trailer over the bridges last week and it was a freaken roller coaster. Unreal tbh.

Centre port bridges had some settling but nothing like this. However they did have issued with the off ramps sliding.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 1:12 PM

As this is covered by warranty is Nelson River as paving contractor the one one the hook for the repairs or does Flatiron as general contractor have to pay?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:44 PM

^^ I think Nelson River just poured concrete. The base and mud work were Flatiron. I don't think Nelson River did the asphalt. But I don't really know.

Dips are are a subrgrade or base problem.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 4:18 PM

Depends what the root cause is. I haven't paid close enough attention. But yes I also remember they used granular (sand) for the approaches, which is not that uncommon.

Was it bad design, was is bad installation. Maybe a combination of the 2. Bridge approaches are always the spot where you get settlement no matter where you are around the world.

Regarding the drying. They installed loads of wick drains under the main embankments. So I don't think it's an overall problem with wetness.

But one thing I don't remember seeing is approach slabs. This is like a 5m or 6m long concrete slab attached to the bridge at either end. The other end sits on the ground. This helps bridge that settlement area and is pretty much standard on any major bridge around here.

I might be driving through there this week. Will take a look.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 10:21 PM

It took Saskatchewan $2B to fix their Regina By-Pass/Ring Road. Could Winnipeg do the same? Why haven't we yet?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC321 View Post
It took Saskatchewan $2B to fix their Regina By-Pass/Ring Road. Could Winnipeg do the same? Why haven't we yet?
Here's a hint from your question: $2B

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Original Perimeter plan from the 50's.

I'm sure glad it has evolved so much since that time 70 years ago.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 1:51 PM
What could go wrong?

....actually that original plan is more progressive than what we have today.

Great progress!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 2:25 PM

What is the deal with that 90 degree turn in the NW corner

I wonder if any consideration has been given to banking land for an outer ring? Or basically a bypass to the bypass along the south, kind of like what Regina did? Let's say from Lorette, through St. Adolphe to somewhere east of Elie?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan