HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:53 AM

Sources inside Amazon's Seattle HQ say it's Austin....just waiting on State of TX to sweeten the deal and it's done.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Sources inside Amazon's Seattle HQ say it's Austin....just waiting on State of TX to sweeten the deal and it's done.
Do you care to reveal or expand upon your sources? I live in Austin, but I think Atlanta or DFW are the best choices for a corporate campus of this magnitude.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 8:24 AM
Closed account

What sbrptree says wouldn't surprise me. That's what inside sources per a Bloomberg article (which isn't necessarily an unreliable source) suggested as well, along with Boston.

That said, Austin has virtually no big city infrastructure to absorb such a massive influx of investment / growth. It's just going to make bad growing problems worse there.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Oct 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 9:34 AM
Closed account

Below is an interesting article from the Dallas Business Journal regarding the possible effect Amazon has had on company relocation plans that have been in the works.

While the article is mainly focused on Dallas, I posted it here because I know there was a lot of discussion about AIG potentially consolidating their offices in either Atlanta or Dallas (which would be a pretty big score in itself) and we haven't heard much about this since earlier in the year. The "Amazon Effect" could very well be the reason why.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...556&j=79031501

Quote:
"I've seen a slowdown in relocating companies and companies waiting to make a final determination until Amazon makes a decision," Arledge told the Dallas Business Journal. "The Amazon effect has slowed down some things. Until they put together a short list or pick a final location, I think this will continue to have an impact on some other real estate searches."

With Amazon promising to bring up to 50,000 jobs with the average pay of $100,000 with its second North American campus, Arledge said companies — especially those in the financial services or technology industries — want to steer clear of Amazon's No.1 draft pick for an HQ2....

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post

Building permits were issued Wednesday for the Juniper & 5th project (775 Juniper St.). This will take up the entire Juniper Street frontage between 4th and 5th Streets. Demolition and Land Development permits were issued earlier this year.
Do you have a link? I believe these permits just expired.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 8:45 PM

RIP Eviva

Since it has been almost a year since the announcement that construction was imminent, we should declare this project dead and remove it from the proposed new buildings list. The parking lot would make a nice pocket-park for midtown.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
RIP Eviva

Since it has been almost a year since the announcement that construction was imminent, we should declare this project dead and remove it from the proposed new buildings list. The parking lot would make a nice pocket-park for midtown.
You shut your mouth right now. #stillbelieve #wontbelieveuntilIseeabody

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 9:14 PM
AK

Quote:
RIP Eviva

This project isn't dead yet they just made an announcement a month or so ago that they secured financing I forget from which bank hopefully we hear more news soon

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
RIP Eviva

This project is not dead, it was just announced last month that they secured financing from Bank of the Ozarks, headquartered out of Little Rock.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Comprehensive List - Atlanta Urban New Construction & Proposed Multifamily Projects Q3/2017

Hands down the best list of proposed and under construction project in Atlanta. Several I have not even heard of.

https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/...rterly_Map.pdf

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
This project isn't dead yet they just made an announcement a month or so ago that they secured financing I forget from which bank hopefully we hear more news soon
From the creditor of last resort (Bank of the Ozarks).

Also, they stated in the last annoucement that they are targeting for groundbreaking in Q4 2017 (which is between now and the end of December).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 11:48 PM
Closed account

That said, anyone want to place bets on which of the following projects will break groud first?

Eviva

vs.

Opus Place

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Comprehensive List - Atlanta Urban New Construction & Proposed Multifamily Projects Q3/2017

Hands down the best list of proposed and under construction project in Atlanta. Several I have not even heard of.

https://www.berkadia.com/wp-content/...rterly_Map.pdf
Still missing a lot of major in-town stuff like Newport's South Downtown & the Turner Field Redevelopment Phase I projects.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Do you care to reveal or expand upon your sources? I live in Austin, but I think Atlanta or DFW are the best choices for a corporate campus of this magnitude.
Seattle contacts and Amazon HQ employees.

Not my preference either....I love Austin, but getting to/from their airport is 3rd world. Traffic / infrastructure also horrid. Atlanta or DFW could absorb better too IMO...I was just sharing some insider info...obviously take with a grain of salt

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
That said, anyone want to place bets on which of the following projects will break groud first?

Eviva

vs.

Opus Place

2078?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Wasn't the deadline for bid submissions just this past Thursday?

That would be ridiculous, and unethical for Amazon to lead so many cities on, spending hours and thousands of dollars putting together packages to be considered. I highly doubt they've made a decision this early.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:48 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post

Eviva

vs.

Opus Place

I don't place bets - I'll believe it, in both cases, when I see an excavator working on site. I have more faith in John Deere than an Arkansas bank.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 1:53 PM

Underground Atlanta--A slice of suburbia in downtown GRRR

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyPho View Post
Once again, Curbed is incorrectly reporting the "current plans" based off a marketing package shared back this summer before the Masquerade deal was set long-term.

They've already changed the plans since then.

Quote:
In the past year, WRS has moved away from having a mega-grocery store along Upper Alabama – once a community concern that Underground would become a project for big box retailers. It now is considering going with either one 40,000-square-foot grocer or multiple 10,000-square-foot or smaller retailers.

“We know we have got to have food there to service the people living at Underground,” Smith said. “We just don’t think there’s a need to have a megastore. We think we could have boutique grocery or a national grocery store that’s smaller and more urban.”

WRS also has shifted away from having surface parking as part of the development. And it will not have parking in Kenny’s Alley, traditionally the entertainment section of Underground which is now the location for The Masquerade music venue.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...sing-well.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations