HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:51 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejamu View Post
Why would the city budge on a project they know the ALC is going to shoot it down
Why would The Bennetts try to develop ALR land knowing this? Hoping for the ALC to show them pity, and give them permission? Who knows? It didn't stop them from trying.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:22 AM

That’s hilarious, ALR land. In the centre of a growing city surrounded by ALR land. It’s not even being used for its intended purpose. It’s just sitting completely empty with a sign that said private property. Not even fenced in lol. I know there’s an orchard just south of it but there certainly is no orchard or any type of agriculture on this plot of land. Sounds to me like speculation.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 1:13 AM

The last tower crane at Bertram block is almost down, lots of on lookers through the week watching the dismantling.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:44 PM

Pandosy/Lower Mission Update

I took some pictures along lakeshore today on my way downtown. Here they are!

Aqua:

Caban condos at Richter and Lakeshore:

Movala Condos at Lanfranco and Lakeshore:

Cristalina Parc (9-storey retirement community at Lakeshore/KLO, taken from Urban Fare parking lot):

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 6:37 PM

12-storey hotel proposed for former Kelowna Keg site downtown

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...owntown#478920

Nearly three years after construction halted on the former Keg site at Lawrence Avenue and Water Street in downtown Kelowna, new plans for property have finally emerged.

Site owner Mark Anthony Group have submitted plans to the city for a 12-storey luxury boutique hotel.

Plans obtained by Castanet include a ground floor restaurant, rooftop lounge and 72-room hotel.

"Our vision is to create a dynamic space that serves as a beacon of the region's hospitality, catering to both residents and visitors to the Okanagan Valley," the project summary states.

"Featuring an iconic dining experience and rooftop lounge with access to breathtaking views, the hotel will become the 'place to be' reflecting the spirit and vibrancy of the Okanagan's renowned wine country, bolstered by Mark Anthony Group's deep culinary expertise.

"The design concept celebrates the existing heritage facade while introducing a fresh architectural language in a manner that is both sensitive and contemporary."

The application concludes saying the site is "truly a landmark opportunity" which will continue to tell the story of the city's past and future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:32 PM
be nice to the crackheads

It looks great! I like the colour.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:38 PM

Also love it! Really hope it moves forward.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:42 PM

Talking

So happy to see this site move forward with a concept, so happy to see a new downtown hotel, and so happy the design is fantastic. Hope it moves through quickly!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 2:25 AM

It would be absolutely crazy if this doesn’t get approved considering the Airbnb ban. We will desperately need hotels.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:04 AM

That hotel looks great!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 5:04 AM

This is pretty cool, I like it. That empty spot is such an eyesore right now. I hope they expedite it

Old Posted Mar 29, 2024, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
It would be absolutely crazy if this doesn’t get approved considering the Airbnb ban. We will desperately need hotels.
This is going to be a bigger issue than a lot of people realize. For such a tourist centered economy, we really dont have a lot hotel/resort options in the downtown/lakefront core.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:11 AM

UBCO tower stopping construction for the time being. Adjacent residential apartment being evacuated.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool..._construction/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post
UBCO tower stopping construction for the time being. Adjacent residential apartment being evacuated.

https://www.kelownanow.com/watercool..._construction/
The Kelowna highrise boom is effectively dead after this. I can't see any more towers getting approved after this disaster

I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the entire project after this disaster

Last edited by Bcasey25raptor; Apr 1, 2024 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The Kelowna highrise boom is effectively dead after this. I can't see any more towers getting approved after this disaster
I kind of doubt that, but perhaps there won’t be much in the way of multi-level underground parking structures Being attempted. There hasn’t been any issues with other high-rises that have used above ground podiums for parking so I doubt its the end of highrises in general.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I kind of doubt that, but perhaps there won’t be much in the way of multi-level underground parking structures being attempted. There hasn’t been any issues with other high-rises that have used above ground podiums for parking so I doubt its the end of highrises in general.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the entire project after this disaster
Nope, it just reconfirms why underground parking structures are not ideal for Kelowna.

Despite all the complaining about parking podiums, now we have a clear example why they are done in Kelowna.

Towers will continue to be built since other projects have not had this issue.

A good approach for Kelowna will be to have what is done in Japan (which also has shockingly few underground parking garages) with stand alone parking garage towers (especially mechanical ones) placed throughout the downtown. That way other towers don’t need parking podiums.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Nope, it just reconfirms why underground parking structures are not ideal for Kelowna.

Despite all the complaining about parking podiums, now we have a clear example why they are done in Kelowna.

Towers will continue to be built since other projects have not had this issue.

A good approach for Kelowna will be to have what is done in Japan (which also has shockingly few underground parking garages) with stand alone parking garage towers (especially mechanical ones) placed throughout the downtown. That way other towers don’t need parking podiums.
I'm worried about Public opinion shifting massively negative. Can already see friends and family very not happy about this

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 5:14 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I'd really hate to be the firm who put their stamp on that geotechnical evaluation.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:15 AM

Quote:
I'm worried about Public opinion shifting massively negative. Can already see friends and family very not happy about this
Well obviously people won’t be happy about it. Luckily it is UBC, so it’s not a fly by night company that will simply disappear / dissolve and damages are never paid for.

I still have faith this will be resolved. One thing is for sure, just leaving a big excavated hole at this point would be the worst course of action for stopping this land shifting.

Everyone thought that the tragic crane collapse the other year was the end of high rises in Kelowna too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia