HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
If NS decides to move here, the 1125 location is more likely than 1105.
If I remember correctly, 1125 Peacthree only called for 200K Sq. Ft. in office space.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If NS decides to move here, the 1125 location is more likely than 1105.
Selig Enterprises filed a DRI for 1125 Peachtree 5/31/2018 and the office component is only 8 floors. Therefore not NFS.

https://apps.dca.ga.gov/DRI/InitialForm.aspx?driid=2821

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
The timing of 1125 does not make as much sense as the 1105 and it's just a few blocks away, why do you say 1125 is more likely? The 1105 quick movement and then full-stop aligns pretty closely with NS push to get this stuff completed.
I can say that NS is a very old company and most acquisitions are with the long term instead of short term mindset. The railroads are the largest non government land owners in the United States. I can say that NS has historically owned all their buildings, so I would be surprised if they wanted to lease a building from the likes of Selig or cousins, however they have not built any new office building since the mid 90’s when they built an office building in Roanoke, VA. I think they are raising cash to build a new building, and don’t plan on leasing. I think the 1105 west peach tree might be a closer fit to that profile, however the integrated residential component makes me believe selig will not sell this property either. I also don’t see selig selling their peach tree land. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I can say that NS is a very old company and most acquisitions are with the long term instead of short term mindset. The railroads are the largest non government land owners in the United States. I can say that NS has historically owned all their buildings, so I would be surprised if they wanted to lease a building from the likes of Selig or cousins, however they have not built any new office building since the mid 90’s when they built an office building in Roanoke, VA. I think they are raising cash to build a new building, and don’t plan on leasing. I think the 1105 west peach tree might be a closer fit to that profile, however the integrated residential component makes me believe selig will not sell this property either. I also don’t see selig selling their peach tree land. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
I would imagine it's also plausible that NS would enter into an agreement for Selig to develop the property, then they would sell it to NS.

A similar thing would likely happen with CIM and The Gulch if Amazon selected that site.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:47 PM

1125 seems to me a much more representative location than 1105 for a major corporation HQ.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
1125 seems to me a much more representative location than 1105 for a major corporation HQ.
1125 is even more representative of a Ritz Carlton Hotel and Residences, but I agree with your point.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:11 PM
Closed account

Not sure if this was posted...

Atlanta City Council ordinance calls for independent review of Gulch deal

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...calls-for.html

"Eight of the 15 members of the Atlanta City Council are calling for an independent review of the planned redevelopment of downtown's "Gulch" following criticism that the proposal is a bad deal for the city and taxpayers.

A resolution introduced late Monday at the end of a marathon council meeting directs Atlanta's chief financial officer to hire an outside accounting or consulting firm to analyze some 600 pages of documents detailing the plan and submit a report on its findings.

Most of three hours of public comment during Monday's meeting was taken up critics who said the Gulch deal would give away far more in tax incentives to the Los Angeles-based CIM Group, the developer behind an up-to-$5 billion redevelopment of the old downtown rail yard, than the city would get back in benefits including an affordable housing commitment.

"We heard Atlanta loud and clear," said Councilman Amir Farokhi, the ordinance's author. "The overwhelming feeling is that while residents want to see the Gulch developed, they don't feel fully informed and want more assurances that the framework is in the public's best interest."

While the Gulch deal wasn't on Monday afternoon's council agenda, supporters on the council had been expected to make a motion to bring up the proposal for consideration. But Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms released a statement Monday morning saying she would not ask for a council vote on Monday.

But that did nothing to dampen a barrage of criticism of the city's plan to provide up to $1.75 billion in public financing to incentivize the project. Some of the strongest words came from Julian Bene, until recently a member of the board of Invest Atlanta, the city's economic development agency.

"This is the worst deal I've seen in my career," Bene told the council. "It is appalling this was brought to you."

Bene charged the city would lose $1 billion to $1.4 billion in property taxes over the deal's 30-year lifetime while receiving at best $100 million in promised benefits. He and others called for the independent review that the council members later proposed.

While defending the deal, Bottoms announced she would host a public meeting on Sept. 26 at City Hall to air the proposed deal. The mayor's office also has launched a website touting the proposal called "Green-light The Gulch."

Farokhi's ordinance was referred to the council's Finance/Executive Committee."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:23 PM
Closed account

This was posted on Twitter.

I suspect someone who thought this deal was a slam dunk is trying to cover their ass in case it doesn't happen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FitzTrube...18331102228481

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Sep 19, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
This was posted on Twitter.

I suspect someone who thought this deal was a slam dunk is trying to cover their ass in case it doesn't happen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FitzTrube...18331102228481
That's hilarious! The Mayor must be a bit worried about where this all goes after the independent consultants look at it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysMoving View Post
That's hilarious! The Mayor must be a bit worried about where this all goes after the independent consultants look at it.
And the best part is the Twitter comments. :haha

"Wow - if they do a third version she'll disappear with her pronoun."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
“We know that it’s possible that the sale of the Gulch property by Norfolk Southern railroad will lead to their potential relocation of their headquarters to Georgia,” he said. “They want to dispose of their assets in the Gulch as a precondition.”

The company’s search is said to focus on Midtown, where it has scouted a development site near the former AT&T Midtown campus. The real estate publication Bisnow recently reported that the site, known as 3rd & Ponce, is under contract to a pair of undisclosed buyers.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-governor-urges-atlanta-approve-gulch-incentives/qWsXQnGIspFvqB6lW2XBKL/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:32 PM

Interesting.

I noticed in the article, that they used the word "build" in reference to NS's plans for an office building in Midtown. So much is going on in this town that its hard to keep up sometimes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:37 PM
Closed account

Not necessarily shocking (it's politics, after all) or even significant, but it should be mentioned none the less...

Mayor took donation from Gulch developer as critics focus on Trump connection

https://saportareport.com/mayor-took...mp-connection/

"Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms accepted a $500 contribution during her run-off campaign last year from an employee of the company that plans to develop the Gulch...

...The donation appears on page 67 of Bottoms’ campaign disclosure report that was filed Nov. 30, 2017, for the reporting period occurring up to six days before the run-off election.

James S. Crowell donated $500 on Nov. 17, according to Bottoms’ campaign disclosure. Crowell’s occupation is listed as “Real estate development.” Crowell’s employer is listed as “CIM Group."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
but it should be mentioned none the less...
No, it really shouldn't be mentioned. It's completely insignificant.

Same with the Kushner relationship.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:57 PM
Closed account

Regardlless of the outcome, I do think this will a humbling lesson for all of the leaders involved as far as doing a better job selling these projects to the general public, especially when the outrage is from all sides and not just s vocal minority.

Torpy at Large: Gulch Giveaway a wonder of equal-opportunity outrage

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/torpy...e4eGbAhgBY4KJ/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily shocking (it's politics, after all) or even significant, but it should be mentioned none the less...

"Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms accepted a $500 contribution during her run-off campaign last year from an employee of the company that plans to develop the Gulch...

...The donation appears on page 67 of Bottoms’ campaign disclosure report that was filed Nov. 30, 2017, for the reporting period occurring up to six days before the run-off election.

James S. Crowell donated $500 on Nov. 17, according to Bottoms’ campaign disclosure. Crowell’s occupation is listed as “Real estate development.” Crowell’s employer is listed as “CIM Group."
And.....??

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
And.....??
Myself and the journalist who wrote the article feel it's only fair that *ALL* the facts related to this deal and the parties involved should be broadcasted to the public as a major decision concerning tax breaks for this deal looms.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:

I'm all for stronger campaign finance laws and beefing up ethics and transparency in government, but it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that the these giant incentives and a $500 campaign contribution are somehow related. I don't think the Mayor even knows the names of a lot of the contributors at the $500 level.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLswede View Post
I'm all for stronger campaign finance laws and beefing up ethics and transparency in government, but it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that the these giant incentives and a $500 campaign contribution are somehow related. I don't think the Mayor even knows the names of a lot of the contributors at the $500 level.
The bolded may be true, but for her to accept this particular donation, she had to know their name.

Regardless, there's no reason why the media shouldn't report on it as they have. The public should be able to judge for themselves how much it is related or how significant it is.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
No, it really shouldn't be mentioned. It's completely insignificant.

Same with the Kushner relationship.
$500 would not even be enough to curry favor with a common plebe like me, let alone a big city mayor. This is just one employee of a massive company contributing a relatively small amount of money. Also, are you sure that other CIM employees did not contribute to Norwood's campaign??

This is a rabbit hole that leads nowhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta