HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:03 PM

What NAP is creating with this project is exactly what has been missing along Peachtree. It’s a destination shopping/entertainment area for this section of midtown. I think the same can be said for the renovations being done downtown at PTCenter. Both are going to awaken the areas to be 24-hour activity centers instead of simply being lunch areas for office workers. I am completely baffled by the criticism. Actually that’s untrue. Criticism is healthy but this board seems to love to be illogical and constantly overly critical and inconsistent with criticism from project to project.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
What NAP is creating with this project is exactly what has been missing along Peachtree. It’s a destination shopping/entertainment area for this section of midtown. I think the same can be said for the renovations being done downtown at PTCenter. Both are going to awaken the areas to be 24-hour activity centers instead of simply being lunch areas for office workers. I am completely baffled by the criticism. Actually that’s untrue. Criticism is healthy but this board seems to love to be illogical and constantly overly critical and inconsistent with criticism from project to project.
I don't think we're being illogical or overly critical. I believe both of us are hoping it succeeds. We're just also skeptical that it will.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I don't think we're being illogical or overly critical. I believe both of us are hoping it succeeds. We're just also skeptical that it will.
Very much this. I want this project to succeed, despite it being an insular development with poor street interaction in a development already present with poor street interactions. The influx of retail will be good for the area and should drive new interests. That said, I believe whether this project is successful or not will be dependent not only on what retail options are provided, but also if new residences are constructed to the west and north of Colony Square, stimulating foot-traffic in this area outside of regular business hours. I don't believe the new designs to be particularly compelling, despite attempting to revitalize as a quasi pedestrian plaza.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:07 AM

I don't think it can rely on being a destination with Atlantic Station so close but with all the new residential going up on that end of Midtown I'm sure the right kind of retail can succeed there. There's definitely a need for it and that will only grow over time. Even if the first wave fails the new spaces aren't going anywhere and someone will figure something out eventually. It will help tremendously that the new design actually looks like retail. The old Colony Square reminds me a lot of the mall under the AT&T building--you could walk right by without noticing anything was there because it was so hidden from the street.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1EoCjRDm0

CNN covered midtown and colony square..

Aside from the food hall and cinema, Mark Toro mentions that there will be "7 or 8 restaurants" and "10 or 12 retailers". Sounds like a pretty good mix to me. I'm convinced, given North American properties track record that this development will be the best thing to happen in Midtown in a long time.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I don't think it can rely on being a destination with Atlantic Station so close but with all the new residential going up on that end of Midtown I'm sure the right kind of retail can succeed there. There's definitely a need for it and that will only grow over time. Even if the first wave fails the new spaces aren't going anywhere and someone will figure something out eventually. It will help tremendously that the new design actually looks like retail. The old Colony Square reminds me a lot of the mall under the AT&T building--you could walk right by without noticing anything was there because it was so hidden from the street.
I think the point is that Colony square redevelopment will just be a big piece in helping create Midtown as a destination, it's just one big building block in the transformation of Midtown. It seems that eventually Midtown will have several Colony Square type developments in close proximity to each other. Then we will finally have a dense bustling commercial district that was badly needed in Atlanta for so long. And unless a major recession hits sometime soon, I see all this happening within 5 years.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 9:05 PM

Spot on IMO.
Midtown is so ready for this but there is currently no place that has enough retail in close proximity to make it really work. I'm also hopeful that Campanile renovation can follow on shortly after Colony Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY1EoCjRDm0

CNN covered midtown and colony square..

Aside from the food hall and cinema, Mark Toro mentions that there will be "7 or 8 restaurants" and "10 or 12 retailers". Sounds like a pretty good mix to me. I'm convinced, given North American properties track record that this development will be the best thing to happen in Midtown in a long time.

I saw the CNN piece.

The whole point of the renovation is to open it up and make it less insular. But I honestly don't understand the idea that the location within Midtown is somehow problematic.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 7:39 PM

The retail bump-out is coming along. Most of the glass has been installed on the second floor.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2018, 10:15 PM

Looking good. I'm really excited for this to bring some added "energy" to Midtown. Its funny how all the 'hoods surrounding Midtown and Downtown seem to be killing it retail-wise.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 7:54 PM

rendering of their Concierge lounge.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 8:46 PM

Updated site plan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 8:53 PM

No doubt livelier, but virtually no retail other than restaurants ?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
There will be an iPic movie theater.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH View Post
There will be an iPic movie theater.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
This only details the retail in phase 1.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This only details the retail in phase 1.
Duly-noted.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:26 PM

Much as I wish the planned new Colony Square luck with their revitalization, I remain skeptical. The area north of 14th. seems to be a kind of edge where the vitality and density of Midtown transitions into a semi-suburban quality. Colony Square did have restaurants and shops in the past, but (other than Tamarind Seed) just didn’t draw enough to sustain themselves. Just up the street the marginal success of 1280 is testimony of limited interest in dining in that area. Part of the problem is parking; the underground parking and other facilities are expensive. To go from this history to supporting 8-12 restaurants plus shopping is a real leap of faith.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Much as I wish the planned new Colony Square luck with their revitalization, I remain skeptical. The area north of 14th. seems to be a kind of edge where the vitality and density of Midtown transitions into a semi-suburban quality. Colony Square did have restaurants and shops in the past, but (other than Tamarind Seed) just didn’t draw enough to sustain themselves. Just up the street the marginal success of 1280 is testimony of limited interest in dining in that area. Part of the problem is parking; the underground parking and other facilities are expensive. To go from this history to supporting 8-12 restaurants plus shopping is a real leap of faith.
A lot of these restaurants pay their bills alone during the work week. The vibrancy will continue to improve as more building happens near 14th and the park expands. The iPic could also be a game changer for those in Midtown looking for a high-end theater that are tired of driving to Phipps.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
History is history. There are a lot of new residences opening up around there and there isn't much retail to compete with right now. Over the next year or two it will start looking a lot more like the south end of Midtown where there's activity 24/7. They're in a great position to succeed as long as they get tenants residents will use.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
History is history. There are a lot of new residences opening up around there and there isn't much retail to compete with right now. Over the next year or two it will start looking a lot more like the south end of Midtown where there's activity 24/7. They're in a great position to succeed as long as they get tenants residents will use.
Once Arts Center TOD gets off the ground, it should really support retail in this area. 15th st extension should help a little too, as infill occurs on the northwestern portion of Midtown. IMO, despite the new residences to the south and east, the fact remains CS is at the northern tip of residential midtown and there isn't much of a constant buzz of foot-traffic. The issue has been lacking residents who will travel by foot on a frequent basis north and west of Colony Square. Had Colony Square been 4 blocks to the south, I don't imagine it would have as much of an issue attracting people to its retail despite the terrible pedestrian experience.

I agree w/the general notion more use will occur over the years as more residences go up, I just think it will be dependent on new developments that make CS a central part of northern Midtown rather than CS remaining on the outer cusp of the residential portion.

Semi related- I've been glad to see more retail open up along Piedmont. Had a terrible experience with the wait staff at cactus house, so i'm not heartbroken they closed. Looking forward to what comes next in its place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta