HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 11:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

La Porto A Casa, a beloved Italian restaurant in Barrhaven, to close in March

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Feb 18, 2021 • 50 minutes ago • 2 minute read

After 16 years in business, La Porto A Casa, a much-loved Italian restaurant in Barrhaven, will shut March 20 following a year of enduring the pandemic’s hard knocks.

“If the past year had not happened, I would not be writing this,” co-owner Caroline Rossi wrote in the restaurant’s farewell message, posted Wednesday on Facebook.

“The past year has definitely taken its toll on us and so with our lease coming up for renewal, we decided that we just need a break,” she wrote. The post does not say what Rossi and her husband Ozzie, La Porto A Casa’s chef and co-owner, plan for the future.

The mom-and-pop eatery in a Fallowfield Road strip mall developed a legion of fans over the years who were won over by Ozzie’s old-school Italian comfort food, served in heaping portions, as well as the hospitality at La Porto, where the ambience included red-and-white checkered tablecloths and Dean Martin and Tony Bennett crooning on the sound system. In less than a day, Rossi’s Facebook message generated more than 550 click-based responses of love and support and more than 270 effusive comments. More than a few commenters called La Porto A Casa the best Italian restaurant in Ottawa.

Rossi wrote that since 2005, she and her husband were at the restaurant nearly every day, even on Sundays when La Porto was closed. “When we walk through the front door here, it is like we are walking into our second home.” she wrote. She thanked her customers for their kind words and for marking so many special occasions at the restaurant. She also thanked her mother and son for their unwavering support.

Since the novel coronavirus first disrupted life and business in Ottawa in March 2020, restaurants have been hobbled by restrictions that have included orders to close their dining rooms during lockdowns and limit their capacities when dining rooms were allowed to open. This year has seen several other notable restaurant closures in Ottawa, including Bar Laurel in Hintonburg and Central Bierhaus in Kanata.

phum@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...close-in-march

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:49 PM

Disney is closing 60 stores in North America(35% of all NA stores) by the end of the year, what are the chances that the Rideau Center location will be one of the casualties?

I have a sinking feeling that it will be, it never seems super busy everytime I visit.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 11:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Elgin Street eviction no laughing matter for Yuk Yuk's
The comedy club was forced to relocate after its leaseholder went out of business — the latest victim of the pandemic.

Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Mar 12, 2021 • 48 minutes ago • 3 minute read

Elgin Street has lost its funniest institution: After more than three decades, Yuk Yuk’s has decamped from Centretown following a serious landlord problem.

The venerable comedy club has been forced to temporarily move its act to Lago Bar and Grill in the Dow’s Lake Pavilion while owner Howard Wagman searches for a new venue. Yuk Yuk’s was forced to relocate after its leaseholder, Hooley’s Pub, went out of business — the latest victim of the pandemic.

As a subtenant, Yuk Yuk’s paid its rent to Hooley’s, which held the lease on the property at 292 Elgin St.

“We kind of got caught in the crossfire of something that was not of our making,” Wagman said in an interview Friday. “We were told a deal was in place and it was all going to be fine, and then suddenly it wasn’t fine, and there was a lock on the door … It’s COVID and a lot of restaurants have closed.”

The comedy club had to pivot quickly last week when it found out its sublease was no longer valid. It reached a deal with Lago Bar and Grill to stage its shows there for the next few months while arranging to put all of its tables, chairs and other contents into storage.

Wagman reached out for help with that move on Facebook and 25 people have volunteered to assist in clearing out the club’s contents next week.

“The response has been overwhelming,” said Wagman, who has been involved with the comedy club for all of its 37 years in Ottawa. “We’ve got the most supportive comedy community you can imagine in this city.”

Yuk Yuk’s has been operating out of an Elgin Street basement, the site of an old grocery store, for the past 11 years — ever since being christened on opening night by comedian Gerry Dee. The original club launched in March 1984 on Albert Street, near Elgin.

Yuk Yuk’s has helped to develop a host of top-flight Ottawa comics: Norm Macdonald, Tom Green, John Dore and Jeremy Hotz all sharpened their acts on the Yuk Yuk’s stage. The late Mike MacDonald, who went to high school in Ottawa, was a frequent headliner and perennial favourite at the club.

Yuk Yuk’s has remained open for much of the pandemic with audiences limited to 50 people. Comedians perform behind a Plexiglas screen.

Yuk Yuk’s general manager Chris Borris, who also works as a comedian, said doing stand-up in a pandemic has had its challenges given that audiences are smaller and some patrons are masked. “It is unusual,” he said. “I’m just grateful every time I get to perform because the pandemic has ruined this whole industry for so many people.”

Many comedy clubs have been forced to close because of COVID-19 restrictions.

Borris said just being inside the comedy club has been therapeutic. “Just being in a roomful of people laughing, I don’t need to be on the stage to benefit from that: It’s good for your mental health.”

Wagman is confident Yuk Yuk’s will be able to find a new, central location. He’s looking for a place that has low ceilings (for better acoustics), dark walls, few structural pillars, and is wheelchair accessible.

“A room has to have soul; it has to have a feel to it, and you have to feel it when you walk in,” he said. “That’s the biggest challenge: to find some place that has soul. I’m not going into some banquet hall.”

Stand-up comedy has thrived in Ottawa, Wagman said, because it’s a white-collar town with a sophisticated audience. “It’s a smart city and I think stand-up comedy is smart, generally,” he said. “It’s an an extremely creative, spoken-word entertainment.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...r-for-yuk-yuks

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 1:13 PM

Never been, but I know it was a staple on Elgin. Sad to see it go, but at least it's not the end.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 5:43 AM

I've been wondering for a while if a redevelopment is coming to the corner of Elgin and Gilmore. There used to be 6 businesses in 2 buildings. Long before the pandemic, Brown's Cleaners and Money Mart closed with no real sign of attempts to host new businesses in those locations. Hooleys has closed, reopened, renamed, closed, opened, renamed to Hooleys again, and now closed. Now Yuk Yuk's is gone. The only businesses left here are Town and the yoga place upstairs. Coincidence or land deal?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I've been wondering for a while if a redevelopment is coming to the corner of Elgin and Gilmore. There used to be 6 businesses in 2 buildings. Long before the pandemic, Brown's Cleaners and Money Mart closed with no real sign of attempts to host new businesses in those locations. Hooleys has closed, reopened, renamed, closed, opened, renamed to Hooleys again, and now closed. Now Yuk Yuk's is gone. The only businesses left here are Town and the yoga place upstairs. Coincidence or land deal?
Elgin had some hard times pre Covid and obviously with Covid is probably harder hit than almost anywhere else besides Byward market so it's not surprising. I doubt it was planned as it seems to be more of a cascade of issues. With the current real estate market maybe now they sell but I bet that would be a coincidence more than a plan.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Elgin had some hard times pre Covid and obviously with Covid is probably harder hit than almost anywhere else besides Byward market so it's not surprising. I doubt it was planned as it seems to be more of a cascade of issues. With the current real estate market maybe now they sell but I bet that would be a coincidence more than a plan.
Since the closure of the businesses I mentioned, several other similarly sized businesses have moved in nearby, including MeowTea, German Doner Kebab, Uncle Tetsu's. I don't see why two prime locations wouldn't fill over a couple of years. These are small locations that should fill up quickly. And Elgin isn't exactly hurting, as there are almost no other vacancies on the entire street, the new streetscaping is complete, and the street is even getting a second upscale steakhouse.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 6:02 PM

Kelsey's in Orleans and Gloucester are closed. The one in Gloucester us now a State & Main, which I never heard of.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Kelsey's in Orleans and Gloucester are closed. The one in Gloucester us now a State & Main, which I never heard of.
Kelsey's seem to come and go. There was one on Roydon at Merivale across from the Costco that closed and rebranded a few years back.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The one in Gloucester us now a State & Main, which I never heard of.
It's a chain. They have them in Alberta and in the GTA.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
It's a chain. They have them in Alberta and in the GTA.
Surprised we hadn't seen anything about it, as we do when a new chain comes into the market. In any case, just another chain restaurant. Sounds like a good candidate for Lansdowne!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 11:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Staffing shortage prompts Preston Street restaurateurs to throw in the towel
"The last two years, everything that was thrown at us, pretty much beat us up. We need someone in there that’s fresh," said Rick Boland of the Foolish Chicken.

Peter Hum, Ottawa Citizen
Apr 13, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

A Preston Street eatery beloved for its roast chicken and ribs is up for sale because its owners say the ongoing pandemic-driven staffing shortage has made selling the business preferable to being an owner-operator.

“What happened was we didn’t have the staff and we kind of burned ourselves out,” said Rick Boland, who co-owns and operates the Foolish Chicken with his wife, Natalie Aucoin.

“The last two years, everything that was thrown at us pretty much beat us up. We need someone in there that’s fresh,” said Boland, 61.

For roughly the last year, since the spring 2021 lockdown ended, restaurants in Ottawa and beyond have struggled to find workers for their dining rooms and especially for their kitchens. Boland said rising costs for his ingredients and associated supply chain problems have also added to his frustrations as an operator.

Still, he maintained that as an established turnkey business with a product and clientele, the Foolish Chicken would be viable in the right hands.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for someone. It took us 15 years to get to this. But we need a quality of life. I’m not going to live forever,” he said.

Boland said he downsized his business during the first year of the pandemic, moving from its original location on Holland Avenue to its Preston Street location that is half as large.

When the Foolish Chicken was on Holland Avenue, many customers were federal employees at the nearby Tunney’s Pasture complex who came for lunch, Boland said.

“That all went to zero” when the employees began working at home due to COVID-19, he said.

The move to Preston Street also allowed Boland to save money because, while the original location was rented, he owns the Preston Street building. Previously, it had been rented by Mason-Dixon Kitchen, a barbecue restaurant that closed in the fall of 2020.

Boland said the Foolish Chicken was already doing well selling takeout food before the pandemic, and that line of business has only gotten better.

But Boland said he now basically works “day in, day out” because “there’s no decent staff available.

“We ended up being here more than we used to be,” he said. “It’s gotten more difficult, not less, and I’m just not interested in continuing.”

Boland said since he announced last week on social media that he was selling his eatery, a few prospective buyers have made “low-ball offers.”

At the same time, other restaurateurs have inquired about hiring his staff. “Unfortunately, we don’t have anybody to give them,” Boland said. “I don’t know how to explain the labour shortage or the exodus from the industry of qualified people.”

While there will be more hospitality workers available when high school and university students look for summer jobs, Boland said that would not likely solve his problem.

“It’s not hard to find people to bus tables or wash dishes,” he said. “What’s missing is experienced line cooks and kitchen managers.”

He added that as patio season arrives in Ottawa and more customers want to frequent restaurants, staffing problems will only grow more acute.

Boland said he has mixed feelings about closing because he’ll miss his regular customers, including hundreds who expressed their dismay when he posted news of the Foolish Chicken’s closure on Facebook.

“The response is heartwarming. There’s people I’ll never see again. They’ve been really good to us,” Boland said.

He added that he plans to take the summer off and golf because during a life spent working in the restaurant business, he’s never had more than a two-week holiday.

Many other Ottawa restaurants cope with the staffing shortage by opening fewer hours each week, eliminating lunch services or closing on Mondays and Tuesdays.

When some short-staffed restaurants recently had workers who contracted COVID-19, they were forced to close temporarily because they had too few staff to operate.

Some Ottawa restaurants that have closed permanently during the pandemic are the Fish Market Restaurant in the ByWard Market, Bar Laurel in Hintonburg, Chu Sing in Chinatown and Il Primo on Preston Street. In some cases, new restaurants have replaced them, while in other cases, properties remain vacant.

phum@postmedia.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...w-in-the-towel

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 4:51 AM

A friend who works at Old Navy at the Rideau Centre told me it will be closing May 9 due to lack of customers.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 1:53 PM

Pavarazzi's on Somerset W can be added to the list. Very sad to see that one go.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 5:54 PM

I also think that entities like Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes, Door Dash and others, have also contributed to the demise of some of the restaurant industry as a whole. Sure, they were fantastic for the consumers during the pandemic (I know my Visa had far more transactions for Uber and Skip than I care to be reminded of), but they were more of a double-edged sword for the independent foodies. I am sure all of the fees, and perhaps contractual obligations that came with them were not cheap, on top of the expense of offering debit and other payment methods. When the small restaurants have a much smaller margin to work with, having to dole out more money to receive and distribute orders would have made that even harder. On top of that, the taxes and fees on alcohol has gone up year after year (sometimes more than once in the same calendar year). By no fault of their own, the restaurants had to keep raising prices on their bar items, and often a lot of their menus too. I think that some people stopped going out of their way to support the independent restaurants, and even some of the larger chain ones, because they couldn't help but feel like they were being gouged to a small extent. I kind of have to agree with them, because I am sorry, but the beers on the Beer Store's "Big 10", which is what most eateries beer selections are comprised of, are NOT premium beers, and should not be priced as such. Paying $10 and beyond for a pint of Coors light or Budweiser is just wrong, especially if there is no live entertainment or justification to command such prices.

That being said, my Family and I have always tried to support the local eateries when we can. We love Riverside Pizza (on Riverside...ha), Thai Coconut (on Prince of Wales), Ozzy Food Market (on Albion), and of course, the Brookfield restaurant. We have also started trying other independent eateries that have only just opened in the last year or so too (El Dorado Taco on Preston is delicious!).

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I also think that entities like Uber Eats, Skip the Dishes, Door Dash and others, have also contributed to the demise of some of the restaurant industry as a whole. Sure, they were fantastic for the consumers during the pandemic (I know my Visa had far more transactions for Uber and Skip than I care to be reminded of), but they were more of a double-edged sword for the independent foodies. I am sure all of the fees, and perhaps contractual obligations that came with them were not cheap, on top of the expense of offering debit and other payment methods. When the small restaurants have a much smaller margin to work with, having to dole out more money to receive and distribute orders would have made that even harder. On top of that, the taxes and fees on alcohol has gone up year after year (sometimes more than once in the same calendar year). By no fault of their own, the restaurants had to keep raising prices on their bar items, and often a lot of their menus too. I think that some people stopped going out of their way to support the independent restaurants, and even some of the larger chain ones, because they couldn't help but feel like they were being gouged to a small extent. I kind of have to agree with them, because I am sorry, but the beers on the Beer Store's "Big 10", which is what most eateries beer selections are comprised of, are NOT premium beers, and should not be priced as such. Paying $10 and beyond for a pint of Coors light or Budweiser is just wrong, especially if there is no live entertainment or justification to command such prices.

That being said, my Family and I have always tried to support the local eateries when we can. We love Riverside Pizza (on Riverside...ha), Thai Coconut (on Prince of Wales), Ozzy Food Market (on Albion), and of course, the Brookfield restaurant. We have also started trying other independent eateries that have only just opened in the last year or so too (El Dorado Taco on Preston is delicious!).
Absolutely, not only the fees, but lack of visibility on the apps for smaller restaurants.

Pre- ubereats, etc., if you were hungry and lived in the core, you might've taken a short walk and eaten at any of the nearby, local takeout spots. Now, many peoples' first instinct when they're hungry is to open up ubereats, skip, etc. and what do they see? Sponsored ads from places like McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc. Sure, many local spots are on the app too but you usually have to look harder for them and people will naturally follow the path of least resistance, especially when the big chains tend to be much cheaper.

So in the end, ubereats rakes in the cash as your McDonald's order is driven 5-10km across the city to you, while the local gem takeout spot that was only three blocks from your apartment suffers and ultimately folds.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sounds like the delivery companies may be taking a hit now that people are more out-and-about and back in offices:

Online food delivery business Skip The Dishes lays off 350 Winnipeg employees

The Canadian Press
Posted September 12, 2022 2:17 pm

Skip The Dishes says it has laid off approximately 350 workers based in Winnipeg.

A spokesperson for the online food delivery service, Hannah Korsunsky, says the employees affected are remote contact-centre workers that support multiple markets globally.

The affected employees were notified late last week.

Korsunsky says the cuts come after Skip The Dishes’ parent company, Just Eat Takeaway.com, conducted a “comprehensive review of its global logistics workforce” and decided to make changes that “best set the business and its partners up for sustainable growth.”

Founded in 2012, Skip The Dishes was acquired in 2016 by London-based online food delivery company Just Eat, which merged with Amsterdam-based Takeaway.com in 2020.

The online food delivery market got a lift in the earlier days of the COVID-19 pandemic, with people staying home and restaurants forced to close to indoor dining.

© 2022 The Canadian Press

https://globalnews.ca/news/9123218/s...offs-winnipeg/

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:57 PM

Good. Hopefully those people can find work in the service industry.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 12:54 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Businesses may have to ‘pull the plug’ after CEBA deadline comes and goes, small biz advocate says

Sarah MacFarlane, OBJ
January 16, 2024 4:28 PM ET

Time is ticking for small businesses to pay back CEBA pandemic loans — and advocates say the outcome for some could be devastating.

Nearly 900,000 organizations applied for and received a Canada Emergency Business Account loan during the COVID-19 pandemic. A total of $49.2 billion was disbursed through the program, which offered up to $60,000 in interest-free loans to help businesses and non-profits survive pandemic-related shutdowns and slowdowns. Up to one-third of the loan can be forgiven if businesses pay back the outstanding amount by Jan. 18, 2024.

With that deadline only days away, community and small business advocate Michael Wood says many Ottawa businesses are facing “incredibly challenging” times.

“Some businesses had to take CEBA money just to keep the lights on,” explained Wood. “They weren’t making any money during the pandemic.”

Businesses that miss the deadline would lose out on the forgivable portion of the loan and see their debt converted to a three-year loan with interest of five per cent annually. Businesses were also offered the chance to refinance their loans with a financial institution. Those that did were given until March 28, 2024, to get that in order and be eligible for the forgivable portion of the loan.

But from barbers and bridal shops to restaurants and retailers, Wood said he’s hearing outcry as businesses struggle to meet the January deadline. With increasing costs and economic pressures, he says many businesses just aren’t seeing the growth needed to make the repayment.

“If we say, for example, that pre-pandemic a business made $500,000 gross revenue, you need a 12-per-cent increase to pay the $60,000 loan that was used to cover the bare essentials.

“So the problem is that, in order to keep recovering, you had to make more than that, but most aren’t,” he continued. “Nobody’s really seeing a big bump in sales. This is where people are struggling.”

“I’m hearing business owners tell me, ‘I just don’t have the money.’”

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB), along with business groups such as the Ottawa Coalition of Business Improvement Areas (OCOBIA) and Restaurants Canada have spent months advocating for an extension to the repayment deadline. But CFIB president and CEO Dan Kelly told OBJ Tuesday he’s not expecting a change of heart from the federal government, which extended the deadline previously.

“With the deadline approaching, I’ve been communicating with businesses that there will sadly not be a last-minute reprieve here; it looks locked and loaded,” he said. “It looks like (Jan.) 18th will come and go without any change.”

Looking ahead at the challenges that will face business owners, Kelly said there are several “categories” that businesses fit into. The first category consists of businesses that received the loans without meeting the criteria. Of the approximately 90,000 businesses that received CEBA loans, Kelly says about 50,000 were deemed ineligible “years after they spent” the money. These businesses were required to repay the loans in December.

Of the eligible businesses that received CEBA loans, Kelly said about one-third have either repaid their loans or have set aside money to meet the deadline and qualify for the forgivable portion.

Another third of businesses are looking to borrow money to repay the loans, Kelly said, which will extend their repayment deadline until March 28, 2024.

But the last third, the one Kelly said he is “most worried about,” are businesses that he says will “likely miss the deadline altogether.”

These business owners have been unable to borrow money, Kelly said, and on Jan. 19 will see their debt turn from $40,000 to $60,000, “in most cases.”

“For that group, the government has an extended repayment plan for three years at lower interest … So it doesn’t have to be paid in February, but I worry it will still not be enough for businesses,” he explained. “That’s the part that’s worrisome because we’re expecting at least a couple hundred thousand businesses across Canada to miss it.”

Businesses already have a lot of rising costs on their plates, Kelly noted, that make repayment even more difficult.

For example, as of Jan. 1, employers faced an increase to their payroll budgets due to employment insurance (EI) hikes and adding a second earnings limit to Canada Pension Plan (CPP), the CFIB said.

This year, total employer contributions for CPP and EI alone could amount to $5,524 per employee, according to CFIB.

In addition, many consumers are also cash-strapped and unable to support small businesses. At a time when business owners need their neighbours to shop local, Wood said Ottawa is stuck in a “catch-22.”

“Everybody is kind of at a loss of how to support. It’s important to continue to support people, and remember that (business owners) are people in our community,” explained Wood. “But between inflation, cost of living … There are rising costs of rent, food, utilities, all of these compounding issues, so how can people go out to that local restaurant or bar, like I used to when I was young?

“I’m trying to figure out myself how they survive moving forward and I just don’t have an answer.”

One business in Carp has taken to social media with a crowdfunding campaign. In a Facebook post, the Gambit Music Academy said the struggle of the pandemic “is not nearly over for most of us” and is offering gift certificates for music lessons in exchange for donations.

Given the circumstances, Wood said he understands that many small business owners “feel the government didn’t do things properly.”

“These were truly unprecedented times and, in the government’s defence, it was their first time going through this. If this our 15th pandemic, we’d be saying, ‘Figure this out better,’” he explained. “But this is recovery for the first time. Everybody played ball to keep everyone safe and now we need (the government) to play ball with us to keep the doors open.”

Kelly said CFIB is continuing to lobby for extensions, increased leniency with ineligible loan-holders, reviews of administrative issues, and added resources for struggling businesses. Kelly said he’s also worried about businesses that have difficulty proving that they have applied for a loan.

“Banks and the government have not provided great information back to businesses over the last few weeks, so lots of businesses have to show they applied for a bank loan and I suspect many will be questioned,” he explained. “That’s going to be one of the struggles. Each business will have to come up with their own plan, there’s no one size fits all, but certainly the government could make it easier.”

There are many businesses, both within Ottawa and across the country, that “if given more time, would live to see another day,” Kelly said.

“There’s not going to be a ‘hail Mary’ here for us to achieve, so it’s very sad,” said Kelly. “I think the government will regret not extending the deadline and giving businesses more time.”

So far, business owners are considering everything from layoffs and price increases to closing their doors for good, he continued.

“It’s so sad and we’re expecting some really turbulent economic times across Canada over the next number of months.

“I don’t think there will be an immediate collapse in the spring, but I do believe that hundreds of thousands of businesses will have to slowly pull the plug,” Kelly continued. “It’s very sad that an additional $20,000 could (mean) failure for countless businesses.”

https://obj.ca/businesses-may-pull-t...ine-small-biz/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy