HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 9:16 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I worked the night shift in the mail room one summer in about 1988. One night a co-worker and I gave ourselves a little sneak tour of the building and found our way up to the "tower" balcony. Between the old offices and large spaces like the mail room, the building would make for awesome condos and/or apartments.

They might even keep the historic building and tear down the mail room and other parts in the back and replace them with a lovely parking garage.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/15/14/77/.../5/920x920.jpg
I really hope Sutton will do something grand with this property. However, I'm a bit worried. and will take a wait-and-see approach to this. Just ask those CRE followers 80 miles north what they think of Sutton.

And, if he got it for $12 million - that's a steal.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 9:03 PM

Conservation Society files complaint about the growing number of downtown murals

https://sanantonioreport.org/conserv...wntown-murals/

Not everyone is happy to see the growing number of colorful murals filling the walls of downtown San Antonio.

The Conservation Society of San Antonio sent a letter to Mayor Ron Nirenberg and the City Council in advance of Thursday’s council meeting, requesting “long-range planning” for new mural installations. The letter outlines concerns over the aesthetics of San Antonio’s future, pitting the city’s burgeoning mural scene against its historical character.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 12:03 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Oh god. These people are just the worst.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
While I normally agree, if you cannot change your window coverings in a “historic district” then some input might be needed.

I have seen some odd ones but none overly offensive to my personal sensibilities. (Minus the child on the side of the hospital, but I get the meaning and history).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 1:24 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Eh, I kinda get where this is coming from, there's been some real low effort murals going on lately that are out of step with the city's rich mural traditions (thinking of some PBR ones specifically but there's others). But I also think regulating murals is ridiculous NIMBY nonsense. If you want to control the entire landscape to your liking, perhaps I could interest you in some acerage homesites in Bulverde.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:

fighting to preserve cultural banality. do any of these people actually have any artistic vision?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:12 PM

Concerning Cultural Banality and Change,

Art is always a good thing. Not graffiti mind you, but True, art. In the past all the Drive-thru Movie Theaters had huge paintings upon the front side of their screens to look at as one sat waiting in line to enter. Good ones too. These theaters were all torn down in the name of change. Many were upset over this change. Because. For many people this was the only "Real Ort" they were ever exposed to.
Murals are good thing. These add to the richness of a City's character, Fundamentally. Many cities are doing this, not just us. Hell, a long time ago many buildings downtown had an enormous advertisement painted on their brick sides? Maybe their were whiners about this sort of painting back then too, I don't know. I do know people now, search for these "Ghost signs" upon the sides of downtown City buildings. They take pictures of these before these disappear or search for these advertisements online.
Multiculturalism adds flavor and depth to a society. If, the paintings are skillfully done. Who knows, these paintings might even inspire some small children from an early age who are so inclined.
Change will inspire some and only anger others. Even now as this is entered
some profound societal changes are happening which even I, have a difficult time accepting. I thought I was so modernized too. And. Thought I was very accepting of change.
Not so much as I thought.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

All art is subjective. That's a good thing. When you visit a museum or gallery, odds are you're going to like some things and not others. You can discuss why with others. Then you leave the gallery and have the choice to look at it again, or not, in the future. The problem with murals, especially big ones on buildings, is that you don't have the choice. It's always there in front of you. That's great for people who like it, but not for those who don't. So is all art a good thing? Only if you like that art.

Here's a famous example of art that some people like and others don't (understandably). It's an extreme example, but all art falls somewhere on a continuum. Is this art good? Would you want it on a building? Just sayin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 10:20 PM

Strange indeed,

Reminds me of the Shroud of Turin which was not the body of Christ as originally proposed. Yes, of course I don't like this tasteless form of "Art" either there, Jack. This guy did it only for the notoriety he would get. For the shock value he created.
If this form of artwork would have been done to Muslims just think, there surely would have been hell to pay. Art can do this to people. I think the locals here are less Reactionary however.
Thus it goes with all Prophets.

Abstract art leaves me cold. Now I can look at Abstract Art or not. No one forces me to look towards it, I can merely not pay any attention to it. Like a billboard. Also while on the topic- The Campbell Soup cans etc. that Andy Warhol produced-- I do not know about either.
Interestingly, there are hand painted imitations, dead on duplicates, of the original " Mona Lisa by DaVinci " painted by other artists who came along far after DaVinci- which are now also hundreds of years old. Which now can fetch millions of dollars. Da Vinci was hounded by the church for insisting that the Earth revolved around the sun which was in direct contradiction to what Biblical scholars preached. An inquisition was launched , because such beliefs were heretical.
I guess private interpretation of the Mona Lisa is not subjective, unless one is uncouth. It is just that damn good! It is maintained after modern scientific research (X-Rays I think) of the painting that DaVinci painted- many, many layers of paint upon the Mona Lisa to achieve the look of such great depth he mastered.
" If you don't like the looks of me just turn the other way." Willie Nelson.

Quote:
All art is subjective. That's a good thing. When you visit a museum or gallery, odds are you're going to like some things and not others. You can discuss why with others. Then you leave the gallery and have the choice to look at it again, or not, in the future. The problem with murals, especially big ones on buildings, is that you don't have the choice. It's always there in front of you. That's great for people who like it, but not for those who don't. So is all art a good thing? Only if you like that art.

Here's a famous example of art that some people like and others don't (understandably). It's an extreme example, but all art falls somewhere on a continuum. Is this art good? Would you want it on a building? Just sayin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 9:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm not sure where to post this, but it's a city illustration gig if someone is interested.

https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/...70f88b8f4e16bb

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
Reminds me of the Shroud of Turin which was not the body of Christ as originally proposed. Yes, of course I don't like this tasteless form of "Art" either there, Jack. This guy did it only for the notoriety he would get. For the shock value he created.
If this form of artwork would have been done to Muslims just think, there surely would have been hell to pay. Art can do this to people. I think the locals here are less Reactionary however.
Thus it goes with all Prophets.

Abstract art leaves me cold. Now I can look at Abstract Art or not. No one forces me to look towards it, I can merely not pay any attention to it. Like a billboard. Also while on the topic- The Campbell Soup cans etc. that Andy Warhol produced-- I do not know about either.
Interestingly, there are hand painted imitations, dead on duplicates, of the original " Mona Lisa by DaVinci " painted by other artists who came along far after DaVinci- which are now also hundreds of years old. Which now can fetch millions of dollars. Da Vinci was hounded by the church for insisting that the Earth revolved around the sun which was in direct contradiction to what Biblical scholars preached. An inquisition was launched , because such beliefs were heretical.
I guess private interpretation of the Mona Lisa is not subjective, unless one is uncouth. It is just that damn good! It is maintained after modern scientific research (X-Rays I think) of the painting that DaVinci painted- many, many layers of paint upon the Mona Lisa to achieve the look of such great depth he mastered.
" If you don't like the looks of me just turn the other way." Willie Nelson.
Da Vinci was NOT "hounded by the Church", because he thought the Earth revolved around the sun. Neither was Copernicus, (in case you confused the two). It was a well known fact at the time. If you/re going to post faux intelligent, then fine, but if you're if going to post fiction as fact, please do so elsewhere.

And to the post Nazis bound to chime in, yes I'm done with this off topic discussion.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 1:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Da Vinci was NOT "hounded by the Church", because he thought the Earth revolved around the sun. Neither was Copernicus, (in case you confused the two). It was a well known fact at the time. If you/re going to post faux intelligent, then fine, but if you're if going to post fiction as fact, please do so elsewhere.
Galileo sure was. He was labeled as a heretic by the church and sentenced to life under house arrest where he eventually died. Historical facts aren't supposed to be subjective, but art is.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:12 PM

A Mistake....

Perhaps I have confused these two Geniuses. DaVinci and Galileo. Mama Mia! Yes Galileo was under house arrest ,I remember now. Forgive me it has been a very long time since I studied these two geniuses. Wasn't Da Vinci a Scientist also though?

You were correct, I found it alright. It was Galileo who was hounded by the Catholic Church. Even to the point of an an Inquisition.
That is what I recalled, but incorrectly. Yes. Da Vinci also internal human anatomical structure though and even sketched detailed drawings of human internal structures (muscularity etc.) and so; his art included anatomically correct details whereas Michaeanglo's art was, ( also masterpieces!), not as anatomically detailed (correct) as DaVinci's. I do remember this detail- Jack in Boston- (!)accurately.
In fact I just read that Michaelangelo incorporated these anatomical details into his art afterward. Also Davinci was recalled as a true Genius in what I just read and that artists to this day are still, inspired by DaVinci art.
This is probably how I recalled DaVinci's two disparate forms of genius; an admixture of science and art, inaccurately. Tanks a million, Jack
in Beantown.
Quote:
Galileo sure was. He was labeled as a heretic by the church and sentenced to life under house arrest where he eventually died. Historical facts aren't supposed to be subjective, but art is.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 8:26 PM

I can only Hope,

We can only hope that these Conservation people are also genuine art experts. I doubt it though- sirkingwilliam.
These are only-Probably, Conseratives whom only see one side of this issue.
Historical inaccuracies notwithstanding, of course. These will prefer their "historical"interpretive slant to be one sided as always.
Quote:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 12:19 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Perhaps I have confused these two Geniuses. DaVinci and Galileo. Mama Mia! Yes Galileo was under house arrest ,I remember now. Forgive me it has been a very long time since I studied these two geniuses. Wasn't Da Vinci a Scientist also though?

You were correct, I found it alright. It was Galileo who was hounded by the Catholic Church. Even to the point of an an Inquisition.
That is what I recalled, but incorrectly. Yes. Da Vinci also internal human anatomical structure though and even sketched detailed drawings of human internal structures (muscularity etc.) and so; his art included anatomically correct details whereas Michaeanglo's art was, ( also masterpieces!), not as anatomically detailed (correct) as DaVinci's. I do remember this detail- Jack in Boston- (!)accurately.
In fact I just read that Michaelangelo incorporated these anatomical details into his art afterward. Also Davinci was recalled as a true Genius in what I just read and that artists to this day are still, inspired by DaVinci art.
This is probably how I recalled DaVinci's two disparate forms of genius; an admixture of science and art, inaccurately. Tanks a million, Jack
in Beantown.
Would you like a hug?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 10:31 PM

No Tanks,

Thanks but I believe that you are not my type, Jack, even though you've made it to the Top of the Beanstalk around here, apparently...and after all this is a public forum.
Quote:
Would you like a hug?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 12:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Thanks but I believe that you are not my type, Jack, even though you've made it to the Top of the Beanstalk around here, apparently...and after all this is a public forum.
I am able to hug men without trying to have sex with them. Same with women, and anyone else. I hope you have a nice day.

And now, back to the show...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 7:52 PM

Balcones Heights council agrees to pay $5.4M for stake in Wonderland mall

https://sanantonioreport.org/balcone...nderland-mall/

The City Council of Balcones Heights, a 1-square-mile bedroom community anchored by Wonderland of the Americas, voted to buy ownership in the shopping mall.

The $5.4 million deal gives the Balcones Heights Economic Development Corp. on behalf of the city a 45.72% ownership stake in the shopping center located at Interstate 10 and Loop 410, and paves the way for redevelopment of the 1960s-era property.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 12:05 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Balcones Heights council agrees to pay $5.4M for stake in Wonderland mall

https://sanantonioreport.org/balcone...nderland-mall/

The City Council of Balcones Heights, a 1-square-mile bedroom community anchored by Wonderland of the Americas, voted to buy ownership in the shopping mall.

The $5.4 million deal gives the Balcones Heights Economic Development Corp. on behalf of the city a 45.72% ownership stake in the shopping center located at Interstate 10 and Loop 410, and paves the way for redevelopment of the 1960s-era property.
I saw Star Wars in the nearby Wonder Theatre... two months after it was released and we still had to wait for the next show.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/55...6eaa5b6fef.jpg

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:52 AM

City tweaks grading for projects that seek federal affordable housing incentive

https://sanantonioreport.org/city-gr...ing-incentive/

San Antonio City Council on Thursday unanimously approved changes to how the city evaluates projects seeking affordable housing tax credits.

The new policy will give a slightly greater advantage to private or nonprofit developers who plan to build housing units for the city’s poorest residents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio