HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 6:56 PM
Meh

I'm not sure this is necessarily a bad thing for San Antonio. On the face of it it does seem so, but you have to remember that Austin and San Antonio both offer something very different when it comes to entertainment. San Antonio does things in a more intimate way that draws a lot of people to witness something historic and grand, while Austin does big festivals. I don't think that San Antonio's wonder is being one-upped, I just think that Austin is getting the kind of attractions that draw more people simply because that's the nature of them - that they draw a lot of people even in a short time. That's just what festivals do.

Besides, San Antonio still has WAY more hotels than Austin does. Something like 40 or 50 more, and you guys still have a much bigger convention center than we do. Not only that, but our's is kind of pinned in by surrounding development that is substantial enough that it won't be demolished for an expansion. One area I would eye an expansion for San Antonio's convention center is west of Alamo Street between the riverwalk, and between Cesar Chavez and Nueva Street. That would still be close enough to the existing convention center that it wouldn't be too inconvenient, plus La Villita and all the Fiesta celebrations. A new (big) convention hotel could even be implemented into the expansion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio