HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 4:41 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wonder what the stats would be if we didn't have rent control?
Goto to Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 7:36 PM

Two powerful city departments to disappear

City council has approved a reorganization of city hall that will see two powerful city departments disappear.

Council voted 14 to 1 this morning to approve Chief Administrative Officer Glen Laubenstein's plan to streamline civic government.

Laubenstein's plans include dissolving EPC Secretariat, which functions as Mayor Sam Katz's policy office, as well the CAO Secretariat. Right now, both entities take turns reviewing and approving reports.

The reorganization will also see the city auditor and city clerk report directly to the CAO instead of to the mayor and council.

Only St. Vital Coun. Gord Steeves opposed the reorganization.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:05 AM

^ Anyone know why Steeves opposed it?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 8:28 PM

Luxury home market red hot
Updated: September 25 at 12:36 PM CDT

There were 117 luxury homes sold in Winnipeg in the first seven months of the year — an 89 per cent increase over the 62 marketed last year, according to a report released today by Re/Max Canada.

In Winnipeg, a luxury home is defined as one selling for more than $500,000.

Re/Max said seven Winnipeg homes sold for more than $1 million between January and July, compared with only one during the same period last year.

Nationally, sales of luxury homes “remain exceptionally strong,” but are expected to taper off in the coming months, the real estate firm said in its latest Upper-end Market Trends Report on 15 Canadian cities.

So far this year, there has been an upswing in luxury home sales in 10 cities, including Vancouver, Victoria, Regina, Saskatoon and Winnipeg, and declines in five markets, including Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton-Burlington and Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 5:50 PM

www.winnipegsun.com

Winnipeg Convention Centre officials have their sights set on expanding their downtown complex within five years, in part through the help of the city's new hotel tax.

As details for the allocation of the hotel levy's revenue were presented this morning at City Hall, the convention facility's chairman told the Winnipeg Sun that a plan is in place for a $200-million expansion of the 33-year-old complex, which will allow it to grow across York Avenue.

"Realistically, if we can get the commitments for the dollars in place, we could have it open in 2013," Zivan Saper told the Sun.

Saper added that a "solid business case" for the proposed project has been presented to the three levels of government.

Details of the plan will be revealed at a news conference on Oct. 2.

Saper's comments came as he, Mayor Sam Katz and Destination Winnipeg president Stu Duncan laid out a plan for a distribution of revenue from the municipal "accommodation tax," a 5% levy which took effect in June on Winnipeg hotel visits.

Up to 40% of the tax's projected yearly revenue of about $7.3 million is earmarked for a reserve to pay for future upgrades to the convention centre.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 2:35 PM

Manitoba's population reaches 1.2 million

Manitoba's population has hit 1.2 million, Statistics Canada said Monday.

It's the highest growth in one year since 1971 and one driven by immigration, more births and less people moving to other provinces.

Growth is mostly in Winnipeg, but also Winkler, Morden and Steinbach.

The province projects that population is to steadily grow to 1.3 million by 2016 and 1.4 million by 2022.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 3:45 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ the full press release for the above.

Manitoba News Release

September 29, 2008

PROVINCE'S POPULATION HIGHEST EVER AT 1.2 MILLION MANITOBANS

Manitoba's population has reached a historic high above 1.2 million people, Competitiveness, Training and Trade Minister Andrew Swan announced today.

Statistics Canada reports that as of July 1, 2008, Manitoba's population had reached 1,208,000, an increase of nearly 14,500 people since July 2007. Along with 1983, these are the largest population gains in the last 36 years.

The minister said the province's latest annual growth of 1.2 per cent exceeded the national gain and was the fourth-highest rate among the provinces.

"The population figures released today are tremendous news and show that Manitoba is a popular destination for immigrants and former Manitobans wishing to return home," said Swan. "Our investment in education and training, our strong economy, and initiatives like the Provincial Nominee Program demonstrate a significant Manitoba advantage, which is helping people make the right decision and move to our province."

Swan said Statistics Canada estimates there are more Manitobans and fewer Canadians than previously thought. Manitoba's population is now some 6,900 people higher than previously estimated for April 1, 2008. Manitoba's upward population revision was the second largest for all provinces.

Swan noted Manitoba's population is expected to continue to grow.
Projections show the province will reach 1.3 million in 2016 and
1.4 million in 2022.

Population is important to the strength of Manitoba's economy. Manitoba's Bureau of Statistics reports a one-time increase of 10,000 immigrants has the following additional economic impacts after 10 years:

- an increase in the total population of 11,400 people;

- an additional 4,700 housing starts;

- an additional 5,800 people employed, with nearly all the increase in the private sector;

- an increase in gross economic output of $810 million; And

- an increase in disposable income (income after taxes) of $367 million.

"We welcome people who are looking at Manitoba as an attractive place to live, work and raise a family," said Swan. "People are arriving from all corners of Canada and the world to make Manitoba their new home."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 8:44 PM

im guessing the largest group of immigrants would be philipinos. from my experience, these people bring a great attitute and hard working mentality to the economy and community. (if i may make that generalization)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 4:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead35 View Post
im guessing the largest group of immigrants would be philipinos. from my experience, these people bring a great attitute and hard working mentality to the economy and community. (if i may make that generalization)
Yes, you can, and thanks!

*is Filipino*

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 12:37 PM

a few months ago there was an article in free press saying how many immigrants were living in horrible conditions with apartments full of bugs because that was all that was available. then a few weeks later, there was an article talking about the housing boom and how immigrants were mostly buying up these houses. (and a few people form alberta). i guess all sorts are coming to manitoba and as long as we (gov't) invest in infrastructure to accomodate this growth, I'm alll for it!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

The new article in the paper today states that they want to increase the immigration totals to 20,000 by 2016. By my poor math skills that means every 5 years the province will add 100,000 people. That to me seems like a pretty good (manageable) clip. You have to figure that the largest percentage settle in Winnipeg which could put us around the magical 1,000,000 mark in 15 to 20 years.

....someone might want to check my math, i often forget to carry the 2.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:39 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The new article in the paper today states that they want to increase the immigration totals to 20,000 by 2016. By my poor math skills that means every 5 years the province will add 100,000 people. That to me seems like a pretty good (manageable) clip. You have to figure that the largest percentage settle in Winnipeg which could put us around the magical 1,000,000 mark in 15 to 20 years.

Sounds good. Maybe we will be big city enough by that point to have a half decent rapid transit system like Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

Assuming current pop of Winnipeg at 680,000 and the province at 1,200,000.

Also you'd have to assume that all the immigrants come to Winnipeg which is not the case as lots go to Steinbech and surrounding areas as well.

Also this is assuming set numbers and not increases over time. So if we start getting 15,000 in 2012 then the numbers are actually higher.

Assuming 10,000 immigrants per year from 2008 to 2016 and then 20,000 per year thereafter Winnipeg would reach 1,000,000 in 2028 or exactly 20 years. ie. your math was right , some assumptions aren't but that's not the point. Also at that time the provinces pop would be 1,520,000.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:59 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Sounds good. Maybe we will be big city enough by that point to have a half decent rapid transit system like Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 1:01 PM

or maybe we'll have enuf people (and corporations) to get the NHL back here. with all that is happening in the USA wall street, it's only a matter of time till we see these guys stop funding teams and buying skyboxes.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 2:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
This data was released yesterday by Stats Canada...it shows the migration from July 1, 2006 and June 30, 2007.
Table is sorted by rate of growth

(a "1" means its a new CMA for 2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
here are the provincial numbers

Here are some stats from the Canada section that show how many people go to Winnipeg vs rural Manitoba. Manitoba shows a net inflow of 4,515 people and Winnipeg has a net inflow of 4,400 of those people. I don't believe this takes into effect immigration but it shows when people move from province to province and CMA to CMA 4,400 people moved to Winnipeg and 115 people moved to rural Manitoba.........i think!

You can figure out the percentage and how that relates to total numbers moving to Winnipeg from the estimated 20,000 person immigration goal but my guestimate is that it is the majority of the new people.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 3:35 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

We still surrender wayyy too many people to other places.

There is no reason why Manitoba need be the ugly sister of confederation.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:28 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
or maybe we'll have enuf people (and corporations) to get the NHL back here. with all that is happening in the USA wall street, it's only a matter of time till we see these guys stop funding teams and buying skyboxes.
we'd hope. I am still saying it will be in two years t'ill we get a team, ok prolly wishfull thinking but still ...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press production continues; workers in strike position

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 | 12:35 PM CT Comments14Recommend10

CBC News

About 1,000 unionized workers at the Winnipeg Free Press were still on the job Wednesday, a day after their contract expired.
The members of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union, which includes editorial, advertising, circulation and press staff, as well as newspaper carriers, were in a legal strike position at midnight Wednesday. Eighty-four per cent favoured strike action in an earlier vote.
"Staff are nervous, anxious," said Aldo Santin, co-chair of the bargaining council.
"Anyone who's been through a situation like that, they don't know when it's going to happen. I just try to tell people to focus, to keep focused on their jobs and just, you know, wait to hear from us."
The newspaper and its workers are in conciliation; union negotiator Paul McKie said a meeting was held last Friday, and another is planned for Oct. 9.
There are no guarantees the union will not stage some form of labour action before the meeting, McKie said.
"It will not drag on," he said. "We will take the advice of the membership in the bargaining council and push the employer to bargain. So far, the employer is not interested in bargaining. They're only interested in dictating their demands."
Major sticking points in the dispute are wages, benefits and job security, McKie said.
The newspaper is asking for concessions, but the union says its members had hoped for an increase, following minor increases in the past three years.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 10:57 PM
Capitalist

Looks like I'll be coming back to PegCity next month for a visit.

I am looking forward to my return.. even if its going to be in November.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan