HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Where!? I wanna see!!
https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...7-D6234B61CCCA

Proportions look much better with the extra stories.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...7-D6234B61CCCA

Proportions look much better with the extra stories.
I agree

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:15 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

BEFORE

AFTER

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:39 PM

Did the new height get approved? And if so, do we have any idea of when it could potentially begin construction?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:23 PM
Registered User?

With how many stories have come out about developers wishing they had built taller buildings, or increasing the heights of their projects (i.e. The Thompson, The Floodgate, or Durango Apartments), I'm hoping that more companies are considering building taller towers in San Antonio, given that it seems increasingly finacially practical.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 10:19 PM

Yes, they were approved with no opposition. Staff said proportions were better as it got taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Did the new height get approved? And if so, do we have any idea of when it could potentially begin construction?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:24 PM

Does the new elevation show that it is more glass now? Looks like an all glass facade now instead of stucco with punched windows.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:23 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Does the new elevation show that it is more glass now? Looks like an all glass facade now instead of stucco with punched windows.
Ewwww! You're right.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 11:40 PM

All glass instead of stucco?!? Yes! We definitely can use more of that in the SATX!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:40 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Ewwww! You're right.
Ew?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 8:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Ew?
I generally dislike all-glass buildings. They look like monoliths and don't have a good sense of human scale. They actually make skylines look smaller as a result. I understand that people in SA want more modern buildings that aren't beige. I get that. And Frost is a great building, but it's an exception because of its unique design. This one might be OK because it has elements other than glass. But I like it when you can stand outside the building and count the floors. You can't really do that with-all-glass buildings.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 9:51 PM

That's OK jack if you dont like glass buildings, but maybe in the future, just come out & say that instead of just posting "Ewww" about the subject. Here in this forum everyones opinions are absoulty welcome. A explanation (althouh not required ), is encouraged.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
That's OK jack if you dont like glass buildings, but maybe in the future, just come out & say that instead of just posting "Ewww" about the subject. Here in this forum everyones opinions are absoulty welcome. A explanation (althouh not required ), is encouraged.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 3:12 AM

A closer look at the exterior elevation notes on the drawings tells us that the building will be largely clad in EFIS. The new lines we are seeing in the new elevations that resemble mullions in a glass curtain wall are likely instead dividing grooves or patterning of the exterior cladding panels, which will most probably look like flat stucco and be given some neutral color as seen in previous renderings. The same window sills and window framing can still be seen in the new drawing for the actual window "cutouts" in the wall.

Not that they would do this here, but the idea of pattern lines in a stucco-like wall makes me think of the former Chungwai Bank building in Shanghai, parts of the façade of which once had vividly zig-zagging Art Deco lines contrasting against the red brick. The modern remodel of the façade removed the patterned lines and instead tiled the plainer concrete portions into something less interesting. Oh well. This type of jazzy patterning would likely never fly with any review boards in San Antonio, which will typically lean for the safe and conventional, but it would be a noteworthy departure from the usual.

Last edited by Hindentanic; Nov 10, 2019 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post
A closer look at the exterior elevation notes on the drawings tells us that the building will be largely clad in EFIS. The new lines we are seeing in the new elevations that resemble mullions in a glass curtain wall are likely instead dividing grooves or patterning of the exterior cladding panels, which will most probably look like flat stucco and be given some neutral color as seen in previous renderings. The same window sills and window framing can still be seen in the new drawing for the actual window "cutouts" in the wall.
Whew!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:52 PM
looking at plans...

Good to see this thing is still hanging on, but there area a few things that could be compromised on the design that would put it back into budget. (I had heard it was over budget which was why it's been over a year and nothing has started....)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post

Not that they would do this here, but the idea of pattern lines in a stucco-like wall makes me think of the former Chungwai Bank building in Shanghai, parts of the façade of which once had vividly zig-zagging Art Deco lines contrasting against the red brick. The modern remodel of the façade removed the patterned lines and instead tiled the plainer concrete portions into something less interesting. Oh well. This type of jazzy patterning would likely never fly with any review boards in San Antonio, which will typically lean for the safe and conventional, but it would be a noteworthy departure from the usual.
Ugh, EIFS is such a horrible building material. It's literally cladding the building in styrofoam. I get that it has good insulative properties...but as a designer, just the thought of cladding a building in styrofoam makes me shudder. Styrofoam is one of the worst man-made materials out there for the environment.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:36 PM

☝️110% truth. Could not be more true

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 9:26 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Ugh, EIFS is such a horrible building material. It's literally cladding the building in styrofoam. I get that it has good insulative properties...but as a designer, just the thought of cladding a building in styrofoam makes me shudder. Styrofoam is one of the worst man-made materials out there for the environment.
Whoa, I didn't realize they used that on exterior surfaces. How do they protect against UV light damage or from hail damage? I'm guessing they coat it with something to at least protect from the sunlight?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Whoa, I didn't realize they used that on exterior surfaces. How do they protect against UV light damage or from hail damage? I'm guessing they coat it with something to at least protect from the sunlight?
I always thought EIFS was a huge warning sign to insurance companies because of water intrusion issues. Maybe it’s been improved?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio