HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

One Madison Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:18 PM

^ Ardecila is referencing the Ascent at Roebling's Bridge - a residential tower in Covington, KY, designed by Liebiskind, and across the Ohio River from Cincinnati.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by fioco View Post
^ Ardecila is referencing the Ascent at Roebling's Bridge - a residential tower in Covington, KY, designed by Liebiskind, and across the Ohio River from Cincinnati.
OK.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Still wondering about this one...
http://www.cityrealty.com/new_develo...news.cr?page=2

Daniel Libeskind is architect of new midtown apartment tower

26-SEP-07

Daniel Libeskind, the designer of the acclaimed Jewish Museum in Berlin and the master plan for the redevelopment of Ground Zero, is the architect for a planned residential tower on the block bounded by Madison Avenue, Park Avenue South and 23rd and 24th Streets.

The proposed development does not include the landmark clocktower that is one of the city's most important skyscrapers and that once belonged to the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company on the southeast corner of 24th Street and Madison Avenue and that was the tallest building in the world when it was erected in 1909 to designs by Napoleon LeBrun & Sons.

The remainder of the block, a 14-story office building erected in 1956, has recently been acquired by Elad Properties, of which Yitzhak Tshuva and Mike Naftali are principals. In an article in today's edition of The New York Post, Lois Weiss writes that Elad, which is redeveloping the Plaza Hotel, "has an agreement with SL Green Realty Corp. to use SLG's more than 400,000 feet of air rights to construct at 74-story tower on top of the 1.2 million-foot, 14-story building in which investment Bank Credit Suisse both has an interest and its offices."

On September 20, 2007, an article by Ariel Rosenberg at www.globes.co.il said that "Elad Properties is planning to build Manhattan's tallest residential skyscraper" and "will invest $450 million in the One Madison Avenue building, fronting Madison Square Park and East 23rd Street, adding floors to the 17-story New York City landmark," adding that the result will be a 74-story skyscraper that will be 900 feet tall."

That same day, a Reuters article said Elad planned to construct an additional 75 floors on top of an existing 20-story building and this report led to speculation on the Internet that Elad might be planned to build atop the MetLife Annex building that occupies the entire block between Madison Avenue, Park Avenue South, and 24th and 25th Streets and is notable for its scalloped facades and the fact that the Depression stopped construction at about the 30th floor although the building was planned by architect Harvey Wiley Corbett to be 100 stories high.

It is not yet clear whether the planned new tower would rise close to the famous and wonderful clocktower or be placed away from it on the Park Avenue South frontage and whether the office base would be retained or refaced. Conceivably if the developers refaced the building its roof might be made into landscaped garden for residents of the new apartment tower, thus preserving some vistas of the great clocktower from the south.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:44 PM
World Machine

It's a delicate site.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
It's a delicate site.
It is, but the question is how it will fit in with the Met Life. I think it will need a spire of some sore, a real one.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:16 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It is, but the question is how it will fit in with the Met Life. I think it will need a spire of some sore, a real one.
10 Barclay Street did decent job fitting in with Woolworth. Perhaps something along the lines of that post modern/neo classic architecture would to a good job fitting in with Met Life. Ideally I would prefer them to
somehow make it so that the clock tower won't be blocked, but from the looks of it, that cannot be done.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:17 PM
World Machine

A spire though would justify the surrounding area. It has to be done the right way though. Not just anything.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
10 Barclay Street did decent job fitting in with Woolworth.
Yeah, but 10 Barclay isn't really taller than the Woolworth. There will be a big difference in the heights of these two. It would be nice if we got something Chrysler like. Libeskind loves sharp angular buildings, so we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:25 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Yeah, but 10 Barclay isn't really taller than the Woolworth. There will be a big difference in the heights of these two. It would be nice if we got something Chrysler like. Libeskind loves sharp angular buildings, so we'll see.
Libeskind is a very sensitive architect. He's not the type of guy that'll just design anything. He has a lot of passion in his work and tries to incorporate it with the surrounding area. I trust he'll do an acceptable job (hopefully).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Libeskind is a very sensitive architect. He's not the type of guy that'll just design anything.
I'm not too sure about that, but I'll have to see what he comes up with. As you've said, it's a sensitive location, with a wellknown landmark already in place, so I'm sure they'll take that into account.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:40 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I'm not too sure about that, but I'll have to see what he comes up with.
Well to give you an example:

In the WTC plan he designed, he incorporated the plan with WFC as well as West Street with those elevated promonades. He was very creative with that whole plan and every aspect of it. Now did I like his WTC design, absolutely not, but he demonstrated to me that he is sensitve with the surrounding area.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges with this, but it's my perogative. Hopefully this won't come back to bite me in the ass what with all the defense I'm giving him.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well to give you an example:

In the WTC plan he designed, he incorporated the plan with WFC as well as West Street with those elevated promonades. He was very creative with that whole plan and every aspect of it. Now did I like his WTC design, absolutely not, but he demonstrated to me that he is sensitve with the surrounding area.
That's the thing. The WTC site is pretty much distanced from everything else. These two towers will share a podium.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:55 PM
World Machine

Quote:
That's the thing. The WTC site is pretty much distanced from everything else. These two towers will share a podium.
That's right, I forgot about that. Well than, we shall see what he comes up with.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

curbed.com

LibeskindWatch: Views Safe, Developers Snippy

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Now and forever, the trotting out of the One Madison Park/One Madison Avenue explainer graphic should be an indicator of fun times ahead.

Indeed, the Post's Katherine Dykstra looks at Madison Square Park development today, and there's a bit on the whole blocked views/confusing names thing.

Elad Properties is sticking to the "earliest concept phase" shpiel for the Libeskind tower, but everyone agrees that it will be on the Park Avenue side of the clocktower, and therefore will not block One Madison Park's future views. As for the names, an Elad exec claims never to have heard of One Madison Park(!), and a One Madison Park developer said, "The name fits because we look right up Madison Avenue. And everyone always refers to [One Madison] as the clock-tower building." Meow!

Quote from the NY Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10112007...mad.htm?page=0

Mad smackdown

ONE Madison Park is the name of a 60-story glass residential tower rising on 23rd street on Madison Square Park.

One Madison Ave. is the address of the tittered-about Daniel Libeskind project planned for the clock-tower building on 24th Street between Park and Madison - across the street from One Madison Park. Huh?

"One Madison [Ave.] is the address. It will be a residential tower, designed by Daniel Libeskind," says Lloyd Kaplan, a spokesperson for Elad Properties, the project's developer.

Kaplan claims never to have heard of One Madison Park (smack!) and stresses that Elad's development is only a preliminary concept. "The tower will be catty-corner from the clock tower," he adds.

Translation: The top of the One Madison Ave. building will be on Park Avenue rather than on Madison Avenue, as others have incorrectly speculated (maybe they were confused by the address?). The location of One Madison Ave.'s tower is good news for the developers of One Madison Park. They, understandably, want to make it clear that their building's views of the clock tower and up Madison Avenue, which One Madison Park faces, won't be obstructed.

As for the name . . .

"We're One Madison Park; they're just One Madison. I don't think it's confusing," says Ira Shapiro of Slazer Enterprises, the firm creating One Madison Park. "The name fits because we look right up Madison Avenue. And everyone always refers to [One Madison] as the clock-tower building." (Smack!)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:51 PM
Frigidus Maximus

I wasn't crazy about the look of Libeskind's original buildings proposals for the WTC, but his last - more realistic - FT design was sharp, in my estimation. I don't doubt he'll come up with an excellent design this time around.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I wasn't crazy about the look of Libeskind's original buildings proposals for the WTC, but his last - more realistic - FT design was sharp, in my estimation. I don't doubt he'll come up with an excellent design this time around.
I didn't like that for the WTC site. Elsewhere in Manhattan, maybe, but not there. I really hope this new tower fits in with Mef Life. It would appear on the left side of this rendering, with the other Madison tower showingin the background.

curbed.com

Quote:
Quote from the NY Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10112007...mad.htm?page=0

Mad smackdown

ONE Madison Park is the name of a 60-story glass residential tower rising on 23rd street on Madison Square Park.

One Madison Ave. is the address of the tittered-about Daniel Libeskind project planned for the clock-tower building on 24th Street between Park and Madison - across the street from One Madison Park. Huh?

"One Madison [Ave.] is the address. It will be a residential tower, designed by Daniel Libeskind," says Lloyd Kaplan, a spokesperson for Elad Properties, the project's developer.

Kaplan claims never to have heard of One Madison Park (smack!) and stresses that Elad's development is only a preliminary concept. "The tower will be catty-corner from the clock tower," he adds.

Translation: The top of the One Madison Ave. building will be on Park Avenue rather than on Madison Avenue, as others have incorrectly speculated (maybe they were confused by the address?). The location of One Madison Ave.'s tower is good news for the developers of One Madison Park. They, understandably, want to make it clear that their building's views of the clock tower and up Madison Avenue, which One Madison Park faces, won't be obstructed.

As for the name . . .

"We're One Madison Park; they're just One Madison. I don't think it's confusing," says Ira Shapiro of Slazer Enterprises, the firm creating One Madison Park. "The name fits because we look right up Madison Avenue. And everyone always refers to [One Madison] as the clock-tower building." (Smack!)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:07 PM
World Machine

It'll be a nice cluster for that area.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:08 PM
New Yorker for life

OCTOBER 20, 2007

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 7:52 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Is this a 60 or 74 story tower?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 8:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Is this a 60 or 74 story tower?
Depends on if you include the floors already there, or simply the floors added to it. Either way, the height would be the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects