HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 10:41 PM

Moxy Hotel (539 SW 10th Ave) | 11 Floors | xx' | Complete

Early Assistance has been requested by DLR Group for a project at 539 SW 10th Ave (currently an extension of the 10th & Alder food carts):

Quote:
Construct a new hotel with approximately 177 rooms, 11 stories. (Central City, Downtown, West End Plan District - Central City Design District)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:13 PM

Another surface parking lot gets developed. This is the best part of the current development craze hitting Portland.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:21 AM
BANNED

11 floors for this site?

*rolls eyes*

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
11 floors for this site?

*rolls eyes*
This isn't the city-block sized foodcart lot. This is the tiny lot across the streetcar tracks to the west.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5207...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:15 PM

So this is the less-than quarter of a block next to Santos Gallery?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
So this is the less-than quarter of a block next to Santos Gallery?
That's what I was thinking. I'm hoping it's for the entire remaining L shaped part of the block.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 2:07 PM

Well, the part of the block with the food carts is owned by "L-63 LLC"; the other parts (the rest of the "L" shape) are owned by "511 SW 10th LLC", FWIW.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:10 PM

That's a relief, if there was ever a surface lot I'd actually like to remain it's that full block surrounded by carts. That brings more activity to downtown than an 11-story hotel ever could. But glad to see the hotel happen across the street. Damn there's a lot of hotels going up. On a side note The Wall Street Journal just did a big travel piece on Portland over the weekend...

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Plans Filed to Build Hotel on Famous Downtown Portland Food Cart Pod

The new hotel plans call for an 11-story, 177-room hotel on the land that's currently home to the original Nong's.

One of Portland's busiest food pods is on the deathwatch, after paperwork filed with the city of Portland April 18.

WW has learned that Developer DLR Group filed an application seeking permission to turn one of Portland's most popular food cart pods into a 177-room, 11-story hotel run by Minneapolis' Graves Hospitality.

Among other longtime carts including the Dump Truck and Savor Souphouse, the downtown Alder food cart pod between 10th and 11th Avenues—next to the block-sized pod between 9th and 10th Avenues—is currently home to the original Nong's Khao Man Gai.
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:07 PM

All of these clickbaity titles regarding the food carts are making me cringe.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 8:11 PM

I'll miss those trees. I had more connection to them then the carts. I think we take for granted the urban forest we have.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:18 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
All of these clickbaity titles regarding the food carts are making me cringe.
Me too, when I saw this on Facebook, I was like its a food cart, it has the ability to move to another surface lot. If anything, the full block across the street could even be converted into having pathways cutting through it full of food carts if they wanted to.

Which that block I am torn, I love the culture of the full block of food carts, but it is also a full block in Portland that I would love to see a tall building on....but I mean really tall, I don't want to lose that food cart location to a stumpy 15 story building.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:03 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
I'll miss those trees. I had more connection to them then the carts. I think we take for granted the urban forest we have.
I also cringe when I see large mature trees taken down. Wherever I travel, I judge a city by the quality of its tree canopy. Arching trees over any street makes it much more pleasant for those that live there and those that pass by.....

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:37 PM

Presentation [33MB] to the Design Commission.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 8:36 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Presentation [33MB] to the Design Commission.
I hope the Design Commission drills down with design team to see if they have the right idea for a Food Hall off of SW Alder, presumably to replace a few of the displaced food carts. Somehow it seems unlikely that it will be successful as currently proposed. These interior food stalls will be isolated from food carts that crowd the sidewalks of nearby parking lots. A first step might be to have a glazed roll-up door to open the space to the street because the food cart environment is an outdoor one.

Alternatively maybe the design team is thinking of a mini-Pine St. Market to largely serve a crowd in the hotel lobby, because I see no restaurant space on the ground floor.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:33 PM

Latest drawings [8 MB]

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:37 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Are those drafts?

I think I like it, but it's hard to tell because they've made it hard to tell.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I hope the Design Commission drills down with design team to see if they have the right idea for a Food Hall off of SW Alder, presumably to replace a few of the displaced food carts. Somehow it seems unlikely that it will be successful as currently proposed. These interior food stalls will be isolated from food carts that crowd the sidewalks of nearby parking lots. A first step might be to have a glazed roll-up door to open the space to the street because the food cart environment is an outdoor one.

Alternatively maybe the design team is thinking of a mini-Pine St. Market to largely serve a crowd in the hotel lobby, because I see no restaurant space on the ground floor.
I agree. The current design shows a lack of understanding of the food cart culture in Portland. Tucking away some carts inside the building is a poor attempt and should be rethought.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 1:32 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I disagree, portland had a long history of having alley style internal retail. That being said, they often have visibility issues, although Pine st. Market and Union Way are doing well.

I would love to see some roll up garage doors with frontage foodie places like you see in oaklands chinatown though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland