HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:30 PM

Tower 8 Update:

Huge pieces of steel are on-site at Tower 8.

Should be rising soon!!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMoosy View Post
This is probably just ignorance on my part but the Liberty Sky project looks like it doesn't have an elevator core (unless it's hidden from the Wells Fargo web cam). Anyone know why this is? Will it just be that the elevators won't go to ground level?
Liberty Sky is using concrete floors, whereas 95 state is using steel framing. So, all of the concrete for Liberty Sky is going up at all together per level, but 95 State has its concrete core going up before any steel is attached to it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Liberty Sky is using concrete floors, whereas 95 state is using steel framing. So, all of the concrete for Liberty Sky is going up at all together per level, but 95 State has its concrete core going up before any steel is attached to it.
Okay, now it makes more sense to me as well.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Another project looks to be starting in the next couple months:

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/80-...cs-urban-core/
Went on the Lotus website to see their other projects and saw that they plan to have another apartment building directly in front of the Lotus Republic SLC called Lotus 300. They're also looking to make one in SugarHouse next to the S-line named Lotus Republic SugarHouse.

https://lotuscompany.com/property-ventures/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 12:30 AM
Space Magi

The Sugar House one looks to be on 700 E.

Anyone know if there are any plans for the lot along the S-line on 900 E that is currently occupied by dilapidated tennis courts? It has a lot of development potential and it looks like it's owned by the city.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:56 AM

The 900 East site is planned to have a full rebuild of the Sugarhouse Boys and Girls club from a public-private-partnerhip between the city and Nick Rimando with the RSL foundation. They've said it'll have new futsal courts and everything along with a new building along 900 east.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...alt-lake-city/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBurgers View Post
The 900 East site is planned to have a full rebuild of the Sugarhouse Boys and Girls club from a public-private-partnerhip between the city and Nick Rimando with the RSL foundation. They've said it'll have new futsal courts and everything along with a new building along 900 east.

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...alt-lake-city/

Nice to see Rimando sticking around and helping the community

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:11 AM

My Rio Grande proposal is finished!

Still a rough draft though, and I may have overdone it. 61 pages and 10,000 words (lots of pictures too!).

Anyway, here's the link for y'all to peruse it at your leisure - and as always, all feedback is highly appreciated.

(PDF Warning!)https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_N...ew?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:16 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBurgers View Post
Ah yes, now I remember. Glad that space will being used for something. Right now it's just blight.

Nice work, Hatman! I hope some people in high places take notice! Your plan would be amazing for the city and state.

Too bad Huntsman lost or I'd say send it to him directly! I don't think Mr. small town Cox will be as enthusiastic about such a big city project, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post

Still a rough draft though, and I may have overdone it. 61 pages and 10,000 words (lots of pictures too!).

Anyway, here's the link for y'all to peruse it at your leisure - and as always, all feedback is highly appreciated.

Hatman,
This is a lot of work to go unnoticed. Are you planning on sending it off to some people that have influence and decision-making authority?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:17 PM

I love your proposal Hatman. It's elegant and efficient and fixes the incredibly short-sighted approach that is the current Transit Hub. It reminds me of many of the stations I've visited in Europe.
It's time for Salt Lake and Utah to start thinking bigger. The valley cannot sustain the type of growth and transportation options that have been the norm for the last several decades.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 3:37 PM

Hatman,

I love the PDF. I am going through it between meetings. I will also go through my list to see if I can get you a few names for who you can send the completed PDF.

On another note, steel is now rising at Tower 8. It is visible on the webcam. http://youtah.com/kutv/camera1.jpg

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:26 PM

Hatman,
I too would like to voice my approval of your plan. I appreciate all the work you have put into this and I think it absolutely needs to happen. We did it wrong the first time.

I hope your plan wins the approval of those who can make it happen.

I worry that soon to be Governor Cox will decide we should do you plan except at the prison site.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:31 PM

Hatman,

This is wonderful! How would you feel about some help with spicing up some of the graphics?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Hatman, this proposal looks great. One point on the 600 West viaduct. Back when UTA wanted to put TRAX along 600 West to the airport, there was community push back to creating a viaduct along 600 West, and they eventually added TRAX to the North Temple viaduct instead of creating a new viaduct. I would recommend taking the railroad tracks underground all the way over to 900 or 1000 West as then they do not block off traffic (which they do all the time when the trains are switching tracks). I know this would cause significant cost, but it would also reconnect the Euclid neighborhood which has for too long been bifurcated by the railroad line there.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Hatman,
I worry that soon to be Governor Cox will decide we should do you plan except at the prison site.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Hatman,

This is wonderful! How would you feel about some help with spicing up some of the graphics?
Yes, please! It's pretty obvious that graphic design is not a thing I can do.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, please! It's pretty obvious that graphic design is not a thing I can do.
It looks great man. You did it all yourself? That's a type of proposal that you should get paid well for.

Nicely done.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Hatman, this proposal looks great. One point on the 600 West viaduct. Back when UTA wanted to put TRAX along 600 West to the airport, there was community push back to creating a viaduct along 600 West, and they eventually added TRAX to the North Temple viaduct instead of creating a new viaduct. I would recommend taking the railroad tracks underground all the way over to 900 or 1000 West as then they do not block off traffic (which they do all the time when the trains are switching tracks). I know this would cause significant cost, but it would also reconnect the Euclid neighborhood which has for too long been bifurcated by the railroad line there.
Putting the railroad tracks underground at 600 West would be difficult, mainly because I have shown the future UTA Tooele line going underneath the tracks there. It's also important to consider that the Union Pacific tracks that run east-west through 600 West are one of UP's principle mainlines, whereas the tracks that run north-south past central station are a secondary line. Union Pacific will be far less willing to modify their mainline, compared to the north-south line.

As for the past proposal for the viaduct - boy are we lucky! If they had gone with a 600 West viaduct instead of North Temple, this whole Rio Grande proposal would be a much harder sell.
I wonder how much has changed in the years since the planning for the airport line was done. There is a big difference between a light rail viaduct and a road-only viaduct. The North Temple viaduct is 125 feet wide. compare that to 600 West, which is only 75 feet wide (measuring the pavement - 105' sidewalk to sidewalk).
Imagine a viaduct that is about 50' wide (2x12' car lanes, 2x5' bike lanes, 2x6' sidewalks, + parapets). That would leave space below for 2 lanes to remain at grade. The road would not need to be widened, and nobody's property would be taken. I think that is different enough that perhaps the opposition won't be as strong this time.

But I'll definitely still look at putting all the railroad tracks underground through the downtown area.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 8:29 PM
SLC Lifer

[QUOTE=Utahn;8973501]Hi Marvland,

I hope the link below can be helpful for info on the Rose Park project which seems to be titled Rose Park - Jordan River Watershed Project

https://www.slc.gov/utilities/projec...rshed-project/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Aside: Why oh why is the forum interface so MS Dos 1997? No image hosting is a massive PIA. Ahem, ask and ye shall receive. Again, this is at the river bend at Rose Park Community Garden across the river from Day Riverside library. Still can't find the project name. First pic is o really crappy one of the 3 Rivers project right now taken from 900 West and 1300 S. The rest are RP improvements:
Thanks Utahn!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West