HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 6:21 PM

Those appear to just be residences. That is way to much frontage time take up with no active use. That building needs to be broken up into 2 or 3 pieces and at least half active use.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Those appear to just be residences. That is way to much frontage time take up with no active use. That building needs to be broken up into 2 or 3 pieces and at least half active use.
It is broken into 2 sections.

The ground floor on the North section is composed of 2 retail/commercial spaces. 1 is fronted along State Street and a new East/West mid block street. The 2nd fronts the new mid block street. The South section has live/work units that front State Street and 8th South. The new North/South mid block street will have some active uses as well.

This phase of the project is fully bound by State Street, 8th South, and 2 new mid block streets.

The Live/work units can be converted to full retail/commercial over time as well.

Overall, I like the design, materials and height. 10 (South) and 11 (North) stories is great overall. I am looking forward to the additional phases of the block.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:05 PM

Thanks for clarifying Makid.

I like it. I think it will be a great start to that block.

Same neighborhood, additional news: Construction fencing and trailers are being erected today on the corner of 6th South and West Temple and backhoes are on site. Looks like demo is about to begin.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Another one of these? How many do we need? This outta be broken up, at least. Looks horrible as a single structure. It’s Better than the Empty Sears but I’m tired of the same building being constructed over and over again.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Thanks for clarifying Makid.

I like it. I think it will be a great start to that block.

Same neighborhood, additional news: Construction fencing and trailers are being erected today on the corner of 6th South and West Temple and backhoes are on site. Looks like demo is about to begin.
What project is going here?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:52 PM

^
Is that the Patrinely Project?

I'm not going to complain about the Sears block. What is being proposed is much better than what is there now and although it looks allot like other projects around the city it is quite a bit taller. It will be taller than the Exchange project.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:37 AM

Did they actually get a building permit or just a demo permit?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:39 AM

I actually think that is great that that proposed design is going at the Sears Block. The density and street engagement is great! If you built it, they will come.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:22 AM

I'm going to have to agree with those saying it should be broken up - way too long of a frontage along the State Street side. Put an east-west pathway in the middle of that to connect to the north-south pathway and then we'll talk.

I like the height and the street engagement seems good, but I am getting a little bit tired of that apartment design. Where have all the bold developers and architects gone?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I actually think that is great that that proposed design is going at the Sears Block. The density and street engagement is great! If you built it, they will come.

Very much agree Orlando!!...and thank you for the clarifications Makid.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Did they actually get a building permit or just a demo permit?

It's not this one. It's across the street to the east, taking the place of a one story events space and an abandoned cellphone store. It'll be apartments. Can't remember what they're called.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 4:34 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
It's not this one. It's across the street to the east, taking the place of a one story events space and an abandoned cellphone store. It'll be apartments. Can't remember what they're called.
Must be 6th & Main! Another nice project from the people behind Dixon Place, Sugar Alley, and the Post House Apartments. Glad to hear that they're starting.

https://www.mve-architects.com/projects/6th-main/
Quote:
6th & Main is a mixed-use development sitting at the gateway intersection of 600 South and Main Street in downtown Salt Lake City. It consists of 175 units and 10,100 sf of retail within an 8-story type III over type I structure. Residential amenities include a street level lounge, co-working business center, fitness center, pool, spa, and an indoor/outdoor roof terrace with sweeping views of Downtown Salt Lake City and beyond.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 5:08 PM

^^^Whoa, I'm excited about that one! Has the same appeal as Sugar Alley.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 9, 2020 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:18 PM

The Patrinely Group should have a permit in the next two weeks for Phase 1 of their 650 Main project. They already have significant tenants ready to occupy the space as well.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 1:55 AM

Here is an image of the 6th & Main site taken today.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:19 AM

What an incredible time for downtown. This has got to be by far the most development in a short amount of time, even considering CCC. Fingers crossed Covid isn’t a huge wet blanket on our cities moment. So far so good and so far Stenar was right about housing prices. Thanks for shedding some facts on the situation Stenar.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:26 AM

Some news regarding Research Park up by the University of Utah:

University of Utah plans major revamp of research park on Foothill Drive, adding lots of housing

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/06/...6vN8hkvkMzA8Z4

Quote:
The University of Utah is planning a major transformation of its research park along Foothill Drive, aimed at making it a more walkable and residentially focused area with better access to the school’s main campus.

The Salt Lake City school’s latest vision, in the works since early 2019, includes new offices and laboratories spread across the Wasatch foothills site, with lots of new housing, a hotel, retail spaces and community gathering spots — all served by expanded transit and parking options designed to reduce automobile traffic.

The new master plan also imagines as many as 8,550 new apartments and town homes built in the park over the next two decades, much of it clustered on its southern end.
Quote:
Work in the park over the next five years, he said, would focus on overhauling the intersection at Wakara Way and Chipeta Way, bringing portions of a stream under Colorow Road to the surface and redeveloping two commercial properties nearby.

The project’s second phase, between five and 10 years from now, will involve the U. taking “a very aggressive approach” to improving bus and TRAX access to the park and connecting it better to the main campus and the U.’s health services buildings.

This phase would also see improving natural connections between Red Butte Creek on the park’s western boundary with Matheson Nature Preserve and This is The Place Heritage park to its east.

Final phases between 2030 and 2040 would bring the creation of at least three so-called “campus mobility hubs” that tie together different ways of getting around, to be built along high-capacity bus line extensions reaching inside the park.
A link to the RDA meeting today where the project was discussed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHXOQVxTCwQ

Here is a link to the Research Park plan:
https://realestate.utah.edu/research...n/#vision-plan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:13 AM

This is great step in the right direction. This area is ripe for a denser mixed-use type of development.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:08 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
This is great step in the right direction. This area is ripe for a denser mixed-use type of development.

I like this idea. Research Park is such an urban dead zone right now despite all of the cool things there (BioFire, NHMU, Red Butte Garden). It would be great to see it turned into a mixed-use transit hub serving the professional university research community.

I don't know if anyone has posted images of BioFire's new headquarters on the forum. It's a pretty nifty building:
https://www.ffkr.com/work/biofire-diagnostics-2/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:40 PM

Would the Trax line be near this or not really? I assume it’s not convenient to the current Trax station unless they extended it and I wasn’t aware closer to that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West