HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:30 PM
Source?

It's important to note that a significant amount of the commercial space will likely be surface parking lots. I don't see this being big box stores but a series of strip malls which are still popping up everywhere in the city (theres always space for another Subway/Mcdonalds)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:43 PM
surely you agree with me

I cant believe they went with the yin yang retention pond scheme....that is so ridiculous. What does Chinese iconography have to do with this site?

Also wiggly roads suck. This is just another Waverley West. Will be giant parking lots surrounded by stand alone buildings and cul de sac hoousing separated from commercial areas. Such a lost opportunity. I expected better.....or did I really.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:58 PM

agreed. this plan is a let down. there was the opportunity to really integrate water into the planning as a recreation amenity and to connect the whole site rather than the token "naturalized" ponds. the city im sure would have put up a fight on that but this is just a boring plan.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I cant believe they went with the yin yang retention pond scheme....that is so ridiculous. What does Chinese iconography have to do with this site?
Going out on a limb here, but does the yin yang somehow relate to the Korean name of the former barracks? Some kind of subtle nod of recognition?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Going out on a limb here, but does the yin yang somehow relate to the Korean name of the former barracks? Some kind of subtle nod of recognition?
I'm 99% sure it's this.

Korea's flag, to refresh memories

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:13 PM

Ha, that's hilarious. I'm not a fan of those corny things.

Overall it's as expected. Typical development of our times.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:52 PM

"Neighbours want low density housing adjacent to their single-family homes in Tuxedo"

These people need to be ignored. Lowering density because of NIMBY neighbours (from Tuxedo, of course) is always a mistake. Stop caving to Karens.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:52 PM
Source?

I'm a bit confused about the plans on the north side of the project. It looks like there's a road that goes to nowhere (they going to extend to Edgeland?), and a walking/bike path that starts in someones back yard.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:13 PM

Ya there's a road right of way along the west side in that area. Seems they're going to link with edgeland. Same with the other road that abuts the neihgbours. Then I presume the path will connect with that other road via the empty lot. Are those houses still there and staying? I think they're army housing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:42 PM

Has the land been put aside for the Kenaston widening?

What is the ownership of the homes on this site? Are they like reserve housing or are they like other homes that I can get a mortgage and buy? Would I own the land or have to pay a "rent" on top of the mortgage?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Has the land been put aside for the Kenaston widening?

What is the ownership of the homes on this site? Are they like reserve housing or are they like other homes that I can get a mortgage and buy? Would I own the land or have to pay a "rent" on top of the mortgage?
Typically when you buy a home or cottage on reserve land, you also get a 100 year lease. They can't sell it to you, but you can rent it. Not much different than a regular condo when you think about it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:04 PM
surely you agree with me

^not sure I'd buy a house where I didnt own the land as well. I wonder if a bank will even give you a mortgage for a house or commercial building that is on property owned by someone else. Its a bit different with cottages on crown land. This will be land owned by a private entity. Will be interesting to see how it works.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:05 PM
surely you agree with me

I wish they had just extended the street grid from river heights. Added a high street and be done with it. Its not rocket science. This will be an island of suburban style development.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
^not sure I'd buy a house where I didnt own the land as well. I wonder if a bank will even give you a mortgage for a house or commercial building that is on property owned by someone else. Its a bit different with cottages on crown land. This will be land owned by a private entity. Will be interesting to see how it works.
Leased land mortgages exist quite commonly. For the most part the big banks don't deal in them in urban areas, but almost all of the credit unions do. The issue that will arise is that a leased land mortgage is less of an investment than Canadians view real estate as, it is likely to not gain a whole lot in value. They might have more value as rental properties.

I guess I expected a lot more "mid-density" housing.

I think this plan is firmly rooted in the pre-Covid world and could really be this region's first example of a big development post-Covid. There will be no need for all of the retail space aside from basics fuel, food, grocery IMO.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:04 AM
surely you agree with me

^ is there precedent for leased land mortgages that are not on government land?

It would definitely make me nervous. If I’m spending half a million dollars on a house, and one included the land and one didn’t, it would probably affect my choice. Will it appreciate in value the same way a house that includes land will? As the lease length counts down, wouldn’t that have detrimental effect on value? Again, a contract with the government offers some stability, but a private entity?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:40 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think that 5-10 years ago this would have been built out pretty fast, but with the way things are now (massive sudden decline in bricks and mortar retail, slower population growth, economic recession) this thing is going to be built out very slowly... I could easily see it taking 20-25 years to fully build.

The approach to design is a big meh but I wasn't expecting much. It'll do.
I wonder how the big commercial landowners to the south of the rail line are going to respond to a bunch of heavily tax-incentivized development eating into their profits? Must be frustrating.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:16 AM

Quote:
^ is there precedent for leased land mortgages that are not on government land?

It would definitely make me nervous. If I’m spending half a million dollars on a house, and one included the land and one didn’t, it would probably affect my choice. Will it appreciate in value the same way a house that includes land will? As the lease length counts down, wouldn’t that have detrimental effect on value? Again, a contract with the government offers some stability, but a private entity?
In Manitoba you'll mostly see leased land mortgages in private cottage developments and trailer parks. Most of these are indefinite.

They do not appreciate unless the home is somehow in an area with scarce supply.

I'm wondering if most of the housing in this development will be rentals or condo style. Maybe I'm missing where they addressed this, or maybe they haven't yet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Also wiggly roads suck. This is just another Waverley West. Will be giant parking lots surrounded by stand alone buildings and cul de sac hoousing separated from commercial areas. Such a lost opportunity. I expected better.....or did I really.
Was going to post something along the same lines but of course had I posted that the overall plan was pretty underwhelming the usual suspects would once again label me racist.

All these years to come up with something new and exciting and this turd was the best they could do, as someone else mentioned how does it differentiate from what is down the road at Sterling Lyon or McGillivray?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:45 AM

Nothing earth shattering about this , maybe ying yang pond lol ! Don’t understand the road system like TV said should have been grid like RiverHeights not Waverly West circles and squiggles, would have a nice to carry on with the grid system to blend in better but oh well .

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Nothing earth shattering about this , maybe ying yang pond lol ! Don’t understand the road system like TV said should have been grid like RiverHeights not Waverly West circles and squiggles, would have a nice to carry on with the grid system to blend in better but oh well .
It's definitely no Marda Loop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan