HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 5:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting new city website... http://speakupwinnipeg.com/blog/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 12:53 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that high end coffe place was always empty while the 2ndcup was always packed hell 2nd cup is busy even at closing time 10pm ish...
Agreed ... but if they were hoping to target those well paid government workers, who weren't present for most of the time they were in business, that pretty well disposed of there business plan.

I enjoy that second cup on Edmonton as much as anyone.. its a really nice place to stop for a cup o'joe. With that said, that part of downtown had little to no hope of keeping a higher end independant coffee house alive without those government workers... and even with them it might have still failed, but we'll never know, as they closed down before the building was completed.

Hopefully that vacant space is filled in the near future with something nice.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 1:18 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Agreed ... but if they were hoping to target those well paid government workers
Well, they actually aren't government workers, they work for a company whose only shareholder is the government. Manitoba Hydro, from what I know, is actually operated like many other businesses, they simply have additional responsibilities to the public and the Crown that other companies don't.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
GQMF

Canada's Best Places to Live

MoneySense’s Top 10 “Canada’s Best Places to Live”
1. Victoria
2. Ottawa-Gatineau
3. Kingston, Ont.
4. Burlington, Ont.
5. Vancouver, B.C.
6. Moncton, N.B.
7. Fredericton, N.B.
8. Winnipeg, Man.
9. Peterborough, Ont.
10. Brandon, Man.
http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...2=1&d1=a&sc1=6
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/slid...Place_to_Live/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post

1. Victoria
2. Ottawa-Gatineau
3. Kingston, Ont.
4. Burlington, Ont.
5. Vancouver, B.C.
6. Moncton, N.B.
7. Fredericton, N.B.
8. Winnipeg, Man.
9. Peterborough, Ont.
10. Brandon, Man.
AWESOME for Winnipeg!!!

Personall pet peeve, Manitoba is abbreviated MB, not Man

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post

1. Victoria
2. Ottawa-Gatineau
3. Kingston, Ont.
4. Burlington, Ont.
5. Vancouver, B.C.
6. Moncton, N.B.
7. Fredericton, N.B.
8. Winnipeg, Man.
9. Peterborough, Ont.
10. Brandon, Man.
Take THAT Peterborough!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:51 PM
BANNED

Funny I thought maybe the huge debt load you took on was to blame, I'm now corrected, maybe the govt. and taxpayers can bail Canwest out, every other member of your family begs the govt. for support!

CRTC to blame: Asper
Says regulator responsible for broadcasters' woes

By: Jennifer Ditchburn

Canwest Global Communications President and CEO Leonard Asper waits for the start of the CRTC hearings in Gatineau, Que. on Tuesday.

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image icon

Canwest Global Communications President and CEO Leonard Asper waits for the start of the CRTC hearings in Gatineau, Que. on Tuesday. (SEAN KILPATRICK / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

GATINEAU, Que. -- Canwest Global president Leonard Asper took a swipe at the broadcast regulator Tuesday, saying federal rules are to blame for the problems plaguing the TV sector -- not the economic crisis or the staggering debt his company faces.

However, one of his rivals in the cable world accused broadcasters of engaging in a scare campaign based on dubious arguments.

Rogers Communications vice-chairman Phil Lind appeared before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), followed by Asper and his corporate team. The CRTC is holding its regular review of TV licences.

This round of reviews happens as many local TV stations face closure or sale. The commission is looking for ways to temporarily help broadcasters while searching for long-term fixes.

Canwest is in the most perilous financial situation, trying to stave off bankruptcy by renegotiating hefty debts with creditors, but "debt is a separate and distinct issue," Asper said.

"Currently, the system favours one sector over all others," he said, referring to the cable industry. "Basic public policy principles would dictate that once you decide to regulate, it should be fair regulation."

So far, the hearings and the larger public debate have shaken down to a battle pitting cable and satellite companies against "conventional" broadcasters -- networks such as CTV, Global, and TVA.

Asper and other TV presidents are fighting for regulatory changes -- most notably permission to charge cable companies for the right to transmit their signals, known as fee for carriage.

The commission has turned down the request twice before, but is under intense pressure by the industry and antsy MPs to take another look.

Asper framed the issue as a life-or-death situation for stations. Estimates tabled at the hearings put the fees at $352 million a year for the stations -- $72 million annually for beleaguered Canwest.

But cable companies, such as Rogers Communications, have warned that forcing them to pay fees will simply translate into higher bills for subscribers -- anywhere from $2 to $10 more a month.

Rogers Communications vice-chairman Phil Lind told the CRTC that his company's Citytv stations expect to make money after the economic downturn is over. He said other broadcasters have mounted a "scare campaign" with the government and MPs, threatening to close stations unless they get what they want.

"CTV made $200 million, Global made $168 million last year." Lind said. "Everyone says, 'Oh God, give me a crying towel.' These guys are profitable because of their speciality services."

CRTC chairman Konrad Von Finckenstein has said publicly that he does not believe the fee for carriage issue would be a panacea for the industry. He is also looking for guarantees that TV stations would spend those additional revenues on local programming.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 2:58 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
"CTV made $200 million, Global made $168 million last year." Lind said. "Everyone says, 'Oh God, give me a crying towel.' These guys are profitable because of their speciality services."
Shaw Cable made $2.4 billion in 2006. Rogers Cable made $1.95 billion in some year that Wikipedia doesn't cite.

This actually happens? My god, you poor guys in the rest of the country!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:12 PM
the first stamp is free

Since this was brought up in the construction thread, but I don't believe it has been posted yet...

A city with no design standards

Robert Galston

The possibility that Canada Post would locate its downtown sorting facility at the corner of Higgins Avenue and Main Street came and went in a matter of days last week, and so it might now seem a little pointless to devote column space to a now-dead development. But in that time, much of the discussion of the matter was of the hope that the design of the facility would not reprise the dismal monstrousness of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority's offices a block down the street, at Logan and Main.

At the beginning of the year, as the form of the WRHA's building, boxy and cheap, and its adjacent parkade, crooked and brutal, took shape, it raised much public ire and left civic politicians asking how such an embarrassment was allowed to take shape only four short blocks from city hall. Good question, but what might be more worthwhile is to ask how it can be assured this never happens again.

If Canada Post wishes to build their facility -- at Higgins, at Portage and Broadway on the so-called "field of dreams," or anywhere else downtown -- with the same degree of banality applied to the design of the WRHA office, there is little to prevent them from doing so. As the WRHA case shows, the worst that can happen is the downtown design review board issues a handful of recommendations to ignore, city councillors who voted for lavish tax credits one day will call the building ugly the next, and a few angry urbanist bloggers like me take to their keyboards.

With Canada Post's new flagship building in the city, currently under construction at Richardson International Airport, possessing a rather snoozy industrial park aesthetic, there is little to suggest that the design of an ancillary downtown sorting facility would complement the streetscape. Canada Post is also the Hagia Sophia of Byzantine bureaucracies, making the WRHA look like a trim upstart firm by comparison. It took the Point Douglas Residents Committee more than one year of petitioning Canada Post's offices in Ottawa to place one letter box in north Point Douglas. It is hard to imagine such an unwieldy organization would be willing or able to respond to whatever "encouragement" a civic design review committee placed on them.

The downtown design review guidelines are well-meaning but hopelessly enfeebled, as Plan Winnipeg was, by its fluffy, non-committal language and a lack of specific legal teeth. Just as there are bylaws regulating residential over-crowding and industrial noise, Winnipeg must have standards that regulate the form of new buildings and ensure that the quality of city spaces are enhanced, not degraded, by new developments. These regulations must be able to stand under the rule of law -- impartial, no matter who the builder is or which way the political winds are blowing.

Planners do not need to be in the city's employ so that they might offer pep talks to developers, then close their eyes and wish and hope that they build something that complements the form and function of city space. Their job should be to ensure that city spaces are not made worse by the types of developments that rise. Basic requirements, such as that no parkades front on important streets, or that windows and active doorways be placed on all streets the building fronts, would ensure that Main Street, or any other downtown neighbourhood, not suffer the same misfortune it did with the WRHA building.

The reaction to the WRHA building showed that Winnipeggers are not sensory-deprived philistines, but if the city continues to naively hope that all builders downtown will put an effort into the design of their projects, it will only lead to more disappointments and sources of civic shame down the road. Hoping for the best worked well a century ago, in an age when architecture was important: before vinyl or cheap stucco became go-to surfaces for builders; before geometry and order ceased to matter; and before parking "requirements" became paramount and windows became optional.

It is not working well for Main Street today. Tomorrow, it may not work for Portage Avenue. If architecture of a standard so inferior that it cannot mitigate a building's hostility is seen as acceptable, then the city gets what it deserves when its streets are rendered ugly and inhumane.

Mayor Sam Katz has seemed to take an interest in creating a sustainable city. Perhaps some effort could also be put into making that sustainable city look good again.

Robert Galston is a Winnipeg writer and Point Douglas resident.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 3:37 PM
BANNED

^ Rob once again nailed it. The blight of the WRHA building and parking structure is worthy of Kunstler's "eyesore of the month".

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Peddle Power

4/29/2009

Now you'll have a better idea where you're going.... on your bike.

Wedmesday, the city unveiled a new cycling map for the City of Winnipeg. It updates the old one made for the 1999 Pam Am Games.
Another bike-friendly initiative is a GPS project called OttoCycle. 900 cyclists will be able to track their routes between May and October. All you have to do is sign up to participate.

You may also want to mark your calendar. This year, Bike to Work Day is June 19th.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:49 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

On the topic of coffeeshops:

That 'high end' place on Edmonton was also playing mainstream country music when I walked in to check it out. One over-priced and mediocre grilled chicken sandwhich, bad coffee, country music... I was never to return.

The Fyxx on Hargrave suffered two fates:
a) Hydro still hasn't opened its front doors, effectively making Graham Ave the focus point of its building. Staff aren't as likely to walk all the way around the building when Twist Cafe or Second Cup is just across the street.

b) Even at the best of times, the Hargrave location is kinda tucked to the side off Portage and I've never been sure that concert or hockey-game goers are interested in latte's and good sandwhiches before an event. They want beer, excitement, etc. While I think its really awesome and my favorite of the various Fyxx's, a chilled-out east-indian-vibe probably isn't what most MTS Centre patrons are seeking.

Lastly, I'm really glad Twist Cafe is still in business and doing even better now. Great coffee (same espresso as Bar I), great sandwhiches, great vibe, cute and friendly staff. Recipe for success.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 4:42 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I went into the Fyxx on Portage last year before a concert for dinner.

We had to leave because they had no more food left..!

I stop in at the Fyxx on Broadway about once a month or so.

I got coffee a couple times at the Twist Cafe (drip coffee, not espresso based) and I found it very average.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Are the police in this city this incompetent? ( guess he never shot anyone yet, so an arrest wasn't warranted)

Cyclist confronts police with shotgun

WINNIPEG — Police are looking today for a man who brandished a shotgun at police officers while riding a bicycle.

The man was carrying a shotgun while cycling near McGregor Street and Selkirk Avenue when he was spotted at around 10 p.m. on Tuesday, police say.

The officers who saw the man made a U-turn and stopped when they saw the weapon, but the man threw down the bicycle and began yelling and pointing the gun at them, police say.

The officers got out of the cruiser and took cover, demanding the man drop his weapon, but the man allegedly rode away towards Flora Avenue.

Officers tracked down the man, who held up the weapon and began yelling again, police say. The officers took cover a second time and the man escaped, heading east on Flora Ave.

The man is described as aboriginal in appearance and roughly 20 years of age. Police say he was about 5'9" with a slim build and a clean shaven face, wearing a black baseball cap with white insignia on the front, a black hoodie and black pants.

The bicycle was red with Rock Shocks written on the front in white lettering.

Anyone with more information can call police at 986-2849 or Crimestoppers at 786-847

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:08 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I can't for the life of me understand how a guy pointing a shotgun at police doesn't get tasered...?

Usually pointing a gun at a cop is a life ending situation, not one where the cops cower behind their car and let the guy get away...twice!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:19 PM
BANNED

^ How the cops knew this guy wasn't out to settle a drug score or was on the way to rob someone is beyond me. The two officers would look pretty stupid if someone had been robbed or killed after letting this person simply ride away!

As someone commented on the FP site, these two officers need to find another line of work!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 6:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o tommarow is may day and this years the 90th aniversy since the genral strike theres some sorta march going ontomarrow starting at ross house meuseam at 6:30 i just noticed a panflit in my junk mail pile

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ How the cops knew this guy wasn't out to settle a drug score or was on the way to rob someone is beyond me. The two officers would look pretty stupid if someone had been robbed or killed after letting this person simply ride away!

As someone commented on the FP site, these two officers need to find another line of work!
cops are scared shitless to pull their weapons and shoot. they'll be critisized to death and good god don't even suggest pulling a taser on this fokker. this guy should've received a bullet to the head, no questions asked. not being racist, but the fact he was aboriginal then they knew that they would get critisized

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 7:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
cops are scared shitless to pull their weapons and shoot. they'll be critisized to death and good god don't even suggest pulling a taser on this fokker. this guy should've received a bullet to the head, no questions asked. not being racist, but the fact he was aboriginal then they knew that they would get critisized
a guy runing around on a bike with a shot gun is grounds for a kick in the ass christ this is not a screw driver.......... this is a freaking shot gun...

Old Posted May 1, 2009, 3:33 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
a guy runing around on a bike with a shot gun is grounds for a kick in the ass christ this is not a screw driver.......... this is a freaking shot gun...
+1

Don't let race become a talking point here. I'd like to comment more but what's the standard procedure, for a police officer, if someone draws a weapon on you? I'm sure drawing your own weapon is in there, but probably taking cover as well, so where did these 2 go wrong?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan