HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 8:28 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:17 PM. Reason: No need for a new post

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:58 PM

This forum seems to have gone as dry as the local economy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Accurate description. There was pre-tender bidders briefing for a relatively small job (a few hundred thousand dollars) today for renovations to the USSU childcare area in the Williams building just off campus. There were in excess of 15 General Contractors there, including most of the major contractors in the city. That's a good illustration of how quiet the local construction industry is these days.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Regina's is worse. We resorted to posting about Subways and temporary Christmas stores.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 12:08 AM

We'll get to watch Nutrien Tower rise over the next year. Escala across the river. If Highpoint gets underway in 2020, that's a big one too. Site excavation by Baydo is ongoing at Broadway & Main, with the potential for activity at 25th & 5th.

Meanwhile, work on Midtown and the Tees & Persse continues apace downtown. The T&P north addition looks like it's almost structurally complete. River Quarry is substantially complete.

I'm not trying to dispute that these are lean times for the city, but for a forum that seems most interested in downtown stuff, there is a lot more going on right now than at any previous time since I've been frequenting this page. I remember a number of boom years when the economy was great and the city was exploding with growth, but next to nothing was happening downtown. We bemoaned those times too.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:53 AM

well said Echoes I mean how many highrises have gone up or potentially will be going up in the past 5 years. We went through alot of dry years in the downtown. We cant forget the art gallery. Just a bit of a rest right now. I think the economy will start picking up again and we will see some good stuff happen. Only my thoughts.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:27 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 10:14 PM

What renovations are underway at market mall.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:10 PM
^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
What renovations are underway at market mall.

Saskatoon's Centre Mall to undergo a $43M renovation

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I asked about market mall on Preston ave.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:16 AM

Is anyone familiar with Rio Tinto? They seem to be laying some ground work on both a diamond mine and a copper mine in the province. I believe that they may have had interest in a uranium operation here a few years ago as well. Anyways, I write this wondering if any of this will lead to another mining giant establishing itself downtown with a substantial office. (Canadian head office would be nice but I believe that's in Vancouver)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:49 PM

Rio Tinto is buying a majority share in a site owned by Star Diamond, which is based in Saskatoon. This team would likely continue to operate, though would probably be beefed up going into full production.

The copper mine is a long way away from becoming reality and may not even materialize depending on exploration results.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 10:10 PM
^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
I asked about market mall on Preston ave.
Ooooooooops!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardot Kynes View Post
Rio Tinto is buying a majority share in a site owned by Star Diamond, which is based in Saskatoon. This team would likely continue to operate, though would probably be beefed up going into full production.

The copper mine is a long way away from becoming reality and may not even materialize depending on exploration results.
I may be mistaken but I believe Rio Tinto's partnership with Star Diamond is in regards to a proposed diamond mine, not copper.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 10:49 PM

My understanding is that Rio Tinto’s plans are fairly prospective and that nothing is coming to fruition for at least another decade based on current market demand. Same with uranium and Nexgen’s potential plans with Saskatoon.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:04 PM

Rio Tinto has both copper and diamond projects in SK. The diamond project is Star Diamond at Fort a la Corne near PA. Copper is the Janice Lake project south of Key Lake. The also have a Potash project SE of Regina.

Quote:
CanPacific Potash is a Joint Venture between North Atlantic Potash Inc., a subsidiary of JSC Acron and Rio Tinto Potash Management Inc., a subsidiary of Rio Tinto plc. CanPacific's headquarters is located in Saskatoon, SK.
http://www.projectalbany.ca/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:07 PM
Registered Geek

Mulberry's

A memo from Mulberry's:

First off, we want to thank all of you for being part of the Mulberry’s family for the last 40 years. Our time downtown has been filled with fond memories and lasting friendships. We have appreciated your support over the many years, in so many ways!

Unfortunately, the time has come for us to move. November 29th, 2019 will be our last day in this location. The Government needs the space for offices. So, although we are sad to leave downtown, we are excited for the new adventure ahead. Our new location is going to be 2326 B Millar Avenue, beside Prairie Meats. We have lots of things planned for our new space and hope to see some of our friends in the transition. January 6th, 2020 is our projected date to open. Watch our social media for sneak peaks throughout the move.

Catering will continue as usual from now until December 20th. We will take a short break over Christmas to move with our new location set to open January 6th, 2020. Please take note of the address change and update your files accordingly. Everything going forward will continue the same as it is now, just with a different “home”. We appreciate your understanding through the transition period.

2326 B Millar Ave
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7K 2Y2

We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!

Lynda and Randi

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
A memo from Mulberry's:

First off, we want to thank all of you for being part of the Mulberry’s family for the last 40 years. Our time downtown has been filled with fond memories and lasting friendships. We have appreciated your support over the many years, in so many ways!

Unfortunately, the time has come for us to move. November 29th, 2019 will be our last day in this location. The Government needs the space for offices. So, although we are sad to leave downtown, we are excited for the new adventure ahead. Our new location is going to be 2326 B Millar Avenue, beside Prairie Meats. We have lots of things planned for our new space and hope to see some of our friends in the transition. January 6th, 2020 is our projected date to open. Watch our social media for sneak peaks throughout the move.

Catering will continue as usual from now until December 20th. We will take a short break over Christmas to move with our new location set to open January 6th, 2020. Please take note of the address change and update your files accordingly. Everything going forward will continue the same as it is now, just with a different “home”. We appreciate your understanding through the transition period.

2326 B Millar Ave
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7K 2Y2

We look forward to seeing you in the New Year!

Lynda and Randi
Ministry of Social Services is completely crammed in that building and had staff in the Ministry of Agriculture building in the far north end right before this - it's too bad they don't build a new government building downtown since we're obviously crammed for space! All of the ministries are spread across satellite offices across the city - would be way cheaper to have one downtown one while also offer more collaboration opportunities!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 6:31 PM

Well....River Quarry is just across the street and may be looking for tenants!

I wish at the very least, the government could pay for a complete exterior cleaning of the black sh!t on the exterior of Sturdy Stone. That building needs a serious refresh!!!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:10 PM

Maybe it has been up for a while, but I just saw a board with rendering of new building for the old Red Cross building on 4th and 20th. Maybe someone has more info or link to building. I assume it is "new" but maybe it could also be reno.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan