HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

12 East 37th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 4:59 PM

Very beautiful indeed!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:02 PM

I give up!! How is anyone suppose to keep track when a new 500 footer is announced every other day.

I really like this one. I'm especially happy that the building at the corner of 5th is untouched. It would have been a travesty to lose. From what I can tell, this is what will be demolished: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7499...44DXiSduEw!2e0

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 7:00 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Holy cow man! Misunderstanding of the century apparently!?!

I'm talking about the existing 4 story building, a structure with no redeeming qualities and won't be missed, NOT the new proposal which I think looks quite promising.

You really put a lot of effort into that post. Too bad you didn't try that hard to understand my fairly easy to understand comment before responding to it. Out of chill pills?
Haha, good stuff. Alright, so I misunderstood you. I thought you were just being another one of those fly-by night negative posters that seem to inhabit this forum every so often.

You know the type I mean. Sorry to come off strong, and I do apologize, but you know why those kinds of people bother us and add no useful info to the discussion when they just throw out negativity.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding and I am glad we both agree this would be a nice addition as proposed. Have a nice weekend, cheers.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:29 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I give up!! How is anyone suppose to keep track when a new 500 footer is announced every other day.

I really like this one. I'm especially happy that the building at the corner of 5th is untouched. It would have been a travesty to lose. From what I can tell, this is what will be demolished: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7499...44DXiSduEw!2e0
Don't worry, Chris has two compilation threads to cover New York's boom. And for 200m+ projects and especially supertalls you can visit the supertall thread.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 4:33 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
The five open-air gardens, for example, are arranged as a series of overlapping, angled, and diverse spaces all within easy reach -- four stories maximum – from any given condominium unit. "The idea is to create a new kind of communal ecosystem of social relationships within a thin tower design," says Scott Allen, an associate architect and designer with Perkins+Will. "Rather than giving residents small, almost unusable balconies as seen in many towers, they will enjoy big community terraces that are the kind of social and interactive spaces in high demand today."
This is a popular motif in architecture these days, but I have to say that I think it's complete and total bull. Private balconies are valuable because they are private. People aren't seeking out giant shared amenity spaces...especially not filthy rich people. Being owned by everyone will mean they are really owned by no one - and monthly maintenance fees are going to be through the roof.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:44 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

Check the compilation threads. Most of the new high rises announced daily are added. Midrises since April 2014 has 27 pages of non stop mid rises and the new nyc highrise thread will be the same at the rate of projects going up or joining the massive pipeline.

Secret is also keeping a Microsoft Access Database for it. Software helps lol. Its how I essentially have almost 0 duplicates so every post is a project or project(s) sets.

Also Hunsers thread received a main page update, big one recently. With the compilations, always check the front page because usually new things like links or stats are added.

Going through DOB records is also a good way to see whats up.

Edit: You can also check this out, its essentially NYC project heaven: http://www.yimbyforums.com/c/new-york

Scroll down as it loads more threads and topics. Goes on for 500 plus projects. So the three compilations, and the link should suffice your thirst for the greatest boom since the 20's.

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 12:48 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Ah I see what you mean. This one is tricky. Woops

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 21, 2015 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 1:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ That's not the lot. Didn't we settle this already?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 12:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
^ Damn, I really like it. Also, looks like a solid 900 footer in that rendering.

It does look like a 900 footer, though the rendering can be deceiving.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 3:25 PM

Simple and classy. Lovely.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 3:33 PM
DENNAB

This building rules, hope it's a supertall or close to it

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:08 PM

This is what 432 Park should've been.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 5:15 PM

Can't really tell details from those crummy pictures, so who knows, but the renderings are pretty damn decent. .

Cautiously excited

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 12:36 AM
New Yorker for life

It gets better...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...built-in-parks

A New York Skinny Skyscraper Will Have Built-In Parks
And you thought bike storage was a decent amenity

Outdoor cinema

Belinda Lanks
March 25, 2015

Quote:
Living next to a park is a treat in New York's concrete jungle. But how about living under one?

A new superslim residential tower proposed for Midtown Manhattan will have built-in parks and even an outdoor cinema, among other common areas that its designers say will make it like a vertical West Village street.

Slated for 12 East 37th Street, the as-yet-unnamed tower will reach 700 feet—about half the height of New York's tallest residential high-rise, the Rafael Viñoly-designed 432 Park Avenue which is set to open later this year.

Residents at the 37th Street building will have access to five clusters of common amenities, which will also include a fitness room, an infinity pool and a private yoga studio. "You're never really four or five floors away from a common space," says Robert Goodwin, the New York design director at Perkins+Will, the architectural firm responsible for the project.

The property developer behind the tower, Turkey's Nef, has built a brand around apartment buildings that balance petite living quarters with elaborate amenities, including common bedrooms that residents can reserve for out-of-town guests. "We tried to translate that for a New York City context," Goodwin says.

He was helped by New York City zoning rules, which specify that skinny buildings with small footprints have virtually unlimited height restrictions. By going taller, he could slot 33-foot-high park pockets without reducing the number of apartments the tower could hold. The 65 apartments will range from 400-square-foot studios to 1,800-square-foot floor-throughs while the building itself will be roughly 50 feet wide and 54 feet deep.

Buildings with large height-to-width ratios require an efficient support structure to prevent them from swaying in the wind. To maximize inside space, the designers moved the structural system to the exterior perimeter and arranged it in a thin steel diagrid with a concrete core. Eliminating interior columns also gives the developer flexibility in how the units are laid out and reduces the thickness of the elevator core wall by roughly 50 percent. No ground-breaking date has been set yet, but construction is expected to be completed in 2017.

Greenery has been integrated into similar high-rises for such cities as Shenzhen, China, and Melbourne, Australia, but Goodwin says he didn't look afar for inspiration. "If you think about the urban fabric of a place that's very livable in New York, like the West Village, you have a small park at the end of the street," Goodwin says. "We're really taking that fabric and turning it vertically."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 1:33 AM
DENNAB

Awesome!

In one of the past articles it said over 700' so I assume the "will reach 700 feet" may not be too accurate. It's only a couple blocks North of ESB in the rendering and looks to be at least 900+ (280 m)

A building of such awesomeness deserves more height than 700'

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 1:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Could be ~700. Keep in mind that the ESB is away from it so as objects move away from a central point, often there is a parallax error in height judgement.

If you look carefully and think about that concept, it doesn't really approach 900 feet.

Try to visualize it 3d in your mind. Build an imaginary bridge between the two and visualize the ESB behind that tower (from you as the viewers point of view on the pc screen) at a false position right in front of the proposal.

Eh its hard to explain, but if your good at visualizing 3d in your mind in terms of height, and depth knowing the ESB's true height, you'll see it without doing a trig calculation.

Last edited by chris08876; Mar 26, 2015 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 2:39 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Could be ~700. Keep in mind that the ESB is away from it so as objects move away from a central point, often there is a parallax error in height judgement.

If you look carefully and think about that concept, it doesn't really approach 900 feet.

Try to visualize it 3d in your mind. Build an imaginary bridge between the two and visualize the ESB behind that tower (from you as the viewers point of view on the pc screen) at a false position right in front of the proposal.

Eh its hard to explain, but if your good at visualizing 3d in your mind in terms of height, and depth knowing the ESB's true height, you'll see it without doing a trig calculation.
I was taking the distance/angle into account but if you look straight at ESB you can tell the photo was probably taken around 550-600' up (The ESB's 72nd floor setbacks are 850' feet high for reference)...

It's a render so it might not even be entirely accurate in any case but if it is 700 it seems very skinny for that proportion. It's such a cool building I hope it ends up higher.

It reminds me of another proposal which I think is dead, it was 937' and had a bunch of gardens and a crazy design (I forget what it was called if anyone can remember).

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:47 AM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It reminds me of another proposal which I think is dead, it was 937' and had a bunch of gardens and a crazy design (I forget what it was called if anyone can remember).
You're thinking of One Madison Avenue by Libeskind.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 10:43 AM
BANNED

Channel 2 news is doing a story about this! With all of the new towers in NY, they choose a story about this!!

PS: Mary Calvi looks great as always!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive