HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Major stretch to infer people who think a business idea is poor are psychopaths and/or lack any empathy for life, donchathink?

Pretty sure 99% of comments were critiquing the business idea... nothing to do with the value we place on stray/abandoned cats.

Ad hominem? check
Ad populum? check
Straw Man? check
Red Herring? check
Jeez I'll bet you aced your Logic 100 class!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Major stretch to infer people who think a business idea is poor are psychopaths and/or lack any empathy for life, donchathink?

Pretty sure 99% of comments were critiquing the business idea... nothing to do with the value we place on stray/abandoned cats.

Ad hominem? check
Ad populum? check
Straw Man? check
Red Herring? check
Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)
Oh give me a break.

A business where you pay an admission fee to pet cats is a terrible business idea. Full stop.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:39 AM

I have seen them in many other cities, and many of my staff are very excited about the openings in Regina.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Oh give me a break.

A business where you pay an admission fee to pet cats is a terrible business idea. Full stop.
We'll see in a few years. Remember that not all businesses exist to encourage you specifically to part with your dollars.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
The fact there are other cat cafes in the market is a critique of the business idea. Over-saturation does not a successful business make. And just because something gives the warm & fuzzies, doesn't mean a business can turn a profit (or break even - maybe it's a non-profit).

Logic matters in business decisions. This is a business decision. I'm happy to be proven wrong... but I can't see 2-3 cat cafes surviving in the Regina market.

To your point around more dog parks - to keep it parallel, I'd question the viability of 2 to 3 paid-admission dog parks in Regina. For sure.

(FTR: I have no issue with cats. I have a cat & a dog)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Jeez I'll bet you aced your Logic 100 class!
I held my own
plus, 4 logical fallacies in one paragraph? pretty epic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I held my own
plus, 4 logical fallacies in one paragraph? pretty epic.

Congrats

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
I have a severe cat allergy so count me out. And I wish there were more off-leash dog parks. Then people wouldn't feel the need to let their dogs off leash all over in regular parks.

I would be surprised if this new venture lasts.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I have a severe cat allergy so count me out. And I wish there were more off-leash dog parks. Then people wouldn't feel the need to let their dogs off leash all over in regular parks.
I totally agree. And if there's something I will agree on, its this city needs more dog parks added than cat cafes. How does a city less than half the size of Regina like Kamloops literally have several more parks than we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I would be surprised if this new venture lasts.
Who knows but I just find many of the dismissive comments against the cafe a little silly. It reminds me of the picture of Abraham Simpson yelling at the clouds in the sky. Considering the high number of homeless cats out there, I hope you all at least hope the venture succeeds. Considering their Facebook page has over 1200 Likes, they have a good amount of support in the community. To compare, Robin's Donuts Canada has 3200 followers and Creekside Pub has 1000 followers.

Frankly, I think some of you might be a little out of touch with reality, especially when it comes to the interests of Millennials.

Last edited by djforsberg; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
How does a city less than half the size of Regina like Kamloops literally have several more parks than we do?
I would argue it's climate. A nicer climate puts more emphasis on outdoor than a place that will be bitterly cold for months of the year.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 11:32 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I would argue it's climate. A nicer climate puts more emphasis on outdoor than a place that will be bitterly cold for months of the year.
I think I'd have to agree on that to an extent. I suppose if we pulled the snow removal, de-icing, and sanding budget and invested it in parks or other things instead...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:06 PM
BANNED

Ya but even Saskatoon has several more dog parks than us. And what does the winter maintenance budget have to do with parks?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:27 PM

The difference is that Saskatoon just choose some pieces of grass. Regina decided they needed to be fenced.

Technically Regina has 6.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The difference is that Saskatoon just choose some pieces of grass. Regina decided they needed to be fenced.

I suppose Saskatoon has a lot more open space. Unfortunately five of Regina's are just outdoor rinks which obviously are only active during the warmer seasons and leave a lot to be desired for dogs and owners alike. I am sure if the city got a little creative, they could find better locations.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:

This is actually out of date. There is a 7th non-rink dog park on the south side of the Industrial Area.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
This is actually out of date. There is a 7th non-rink dog park on the south side of the Industrial Area.
Yeah, it's on the city's page, just not the map. https://www.regina.ca/residents/park...ash-dog-parks/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
I suppose Saskatoon has a lot more open space. Unfortunately five of Regina's are just outdoor rinks which obviously are only active during the warmer seasons and leave a lot to be desired for dogs and owners alike. I am sure if the city got a little creative, they could find better locations.
Saskatoon doesn't really have more open space. I could find the city a hundred places to put a dog park, they are making a choice not to use them.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:10 PM

I'm being facetious, but we could use the new stadium as a dog park for the 300+ days per year it's not being used.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:12 PM

Hey folks, can you use a different thread for discussion about dog parks, etc? This doesn't belong in Regina Pubs and Restaurants. Thanks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan