HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

getty.edu
"Playgrounds, substandard, poor, and acceptable housing, traffic, and general views, 1955 October 18" > "BH2-135a (negative 18)"
Some people say that the Bunker Hill area was just a few low hills. I look at this scene and say that its almost Alpine.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:08 PM

Popping back in after a little time away. Still buried under research for SMOKETOWN and the day job and still trying to get through this thread, but wanted to share a couple pics:

L1070662.JPG by Matt Maxwell, on Flickr
Not technically Los Angeles, but the Valley. Still, beautiful neon and sixties design probably most famous now for use as a setting in TRUE ROMANCE.

L1070622.JPG by Matt Maxwell, on Flickr
Toluca Lake, CA, home of the original Bob's Big Boy, where I ate many times during my time as an animator (once saw Laura San Giacomo two tables away) though honestly I preferred Mo's, which was just up the street. But you can't argue with classic design.

More at the following photoset on Flickr, but it's not all LA. Some points further south, including the giant tombstone hangars of the Tustin air base:

SoCal 2013 photoset by me.

Should note that there's some photos in this set taken at a friend's studio space in the brewery building (which is now artists lofts and the like) that's been featured here. If it's of vinyl toys or motorcycle helmets, car parts or pinball machines, it's taken at his place.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM

Leonard Nadel Photographs - Getty Digital Collections

The saddest one of all. When the well-fed, disapproving suits show up to make catastrophic decisions about people's lives without asking them what they want or need. Such a clash of sensibilities and imbalance of power:

http://rosettaapp.getty.edu:1801/del...s_pid=IE209411

Urban Redevelopment Commission, 1949-1955. Tour, April 26, 1949
negative 26

------------------------------------------------------

And speaking of complaining about what "they" are up to, it's a fine old tradition around these parts:

californiadigitalnewspapercollection Los Angeles Herald, Volume 44, Number 95, 15 July 1895

I remember that little park from the CC Pierce photo below. I remembered it particularly because of the way the palm had been tied down, like someone feared it might try to make a run for it. The park was cleared in the end for the City Hall annex (and is now smothered under the LAT parking structure):

lapl

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The saddest one of all. When the well-fed, disapproving suits show up to make catastrophic decisions about people's lives without asking them what they want or need. Such a clash of sensibilities and imbalance of power:

I also noticed that photo of the suits. The ''big'' picture is complex and has many facets. This goes on worldwide. Neighborhoods are slowly abandoned by the city fathers.
One element is that the owners of the decrepit buildings become default slumlords and do not renovate their buildings. They see the handwriting on the wall and realize there is no point in spending money on improvements if their apartment buildings are going to be condemned anyway.

I was once the owner of an older apartment building in LA and learned a lot in the process. I made many costly improvements and my tenets were still demanding more.

The last apartment I lived in I never asked the owner for anything. I paid for most of the repairs out of my own pocket. That was 25 years ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:33 PM

"1926 Hollywood CA. Camel Inn Had Stuffed Camel To Indicate No Booze. Press Photo"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-Hollywo...item418d29b8ea

I hope we can figure out where this establishment was located. Does anyone recognize the house?

Or it could have been just ruse.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 7:56 PM

I could only find the Camel Inn in the 1927 CD, which fits with the date of the picture. The address listed is 5732 Hollywood Boulevard, which is now just east of the Hollywood Freeway.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:47 PM

thx

Movie actress Kay Francis says goodbye to Hollywood in a big way at the Vendome Café.

eBay

"To celebrate her projected vacation to New York, Kay Francis, Film Star, staged a spectacular party in the Vendome Café in Hollywood. The front of the café was converted into the deck of a luxury liner. A gangplank jutted out from the improvised steamer to the limousines bearing guests. The arrivals stepped on the gangplank and tobogganed down a fun-house slide to the festivities a floor below."

The press photo shows the converted front of the café. 2/19/35

As a reminder, here's what the Vendome Café looked like under normal circumstances.

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt2t1nc5np/

The Vendome was located at 6666 Sunset Boulevard.

http://classicmoviesdigest.blogspot....1_archive.html

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 27, 2015 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"1926 Hollywood CA. Camel Inn Had Stuffed Camel To Indicate No Booze. Press Photo"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-Hollywo...item418d29b8ea

I hope we can figure out where this establishment was located. Does anyone recognize the house?

Or it could have been just ruse.

ER-- Maybe "Le Rendezvous" was another speakeasy-- a bridge club, or was it? It appears to have succeeded the Camel Inn. Other than that, I like this graphic:

Times June 20, 1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I guess the assumption is that men in suits are always up to no good, always ready to wreak havoc....

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:21 PM

eBay

Yesterday, while I was looking for the Mohr Pretzel Factory on Molina Street, I came across this eye-catching building on S. Hewitt Street and E. 5th (a block west of Molina).

At first, I couldn't believe my eyes!

gsv

I was flabbergasted that I hadn't noticed this 'art deco' building before.

Well, it turns out a good portion of the building is relatively new. Here's the building in 2007.

gsv

from 5th street

gsv

When I thought it was vintage I thought it was absolutely great, but now that I know it's fairly new, I have mixed feelings. So why is that?
Am I being unfair, just because it isn't old?

the details are impressive.....deco fountain design in color tiles.

here's a closer look the clock, and the pylon on top.

detail

Two large deco 'lantern/pylon' lights...and additional color tiles...etc.

detail

thumbs up, or thumbs down?

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 28, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
ER--

I guess the assumption is that men in suits are always up to no good, always ready to wreak havoc....
What usually happens is that the City Council was someday going to ask these suits if they had seen the situation with ''their own eyes". I suppose they could have sent their secretaries or flunkies but they went themselves to see the situation. Its often a no win situation for both sides. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. That close to City Hall there seemed to be no hope of eventual gentrification of Bunker Hill. It was doomed.

Fortunately several of the elegant antique Bunker Hill homes were carefully moved to a new location by the Pasadena Freeway and are still standing today as a memory of a long ago time.

Heritage Square Museum is located at 3800 Homer Street in Los Angeles off the 110 Fwy, 10 minutes Northeast of Downtown.

http://heritagesquare.org/

google

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:52 PM

A little discussion for my reasons/opinions of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Which person are you saying is Lionel Barrymore in the 1922 photo (above, at top)?
[...]
I'm inclined to agree with Handsome Stranger.
[That the people are misidentified.]

I'm reminded of the misidentified, not-really Oliver Hardy photo we had some time ago.
Yes, but that photo of Hardy was identified as Hardy by others, not the photographer,
which is the case with these eBay photos that were hand written on. I'm more inclined
to think the photographer who was there knew what he was talking about (he knew "Sid"
but not the others?), though I feel it's possible to mix up which Barrymore was which. I
always have to check to make sure.

"I" was referring to the gentlemen in the photo that E_R describes as "the heavy-set
man with gray hair." I don't think the person who wrote the names on the photo would be
talking about the person behind him unless that was noted on the photo, as I didn't even
notice that man until E_R pointed it out.

Granted, the photo says "Barrymore" which might have been a suggestion to me, but when
I looked at the man in question I immediately thought of Lionel Barrymore in Devil Doll, which
is why I posted the photo from that film.

If you survey pictures of both John and Lionel, I find that Lionel's chin is more rounded and his
nose is flatter/wider at the base than John's is. They are all from the proverbial "acting" family,
so it wouldn't surprise me that in photos from film or stage or even appearances in public that
he might have his hair darkened. I surmised that he and perhaps, Stroheim, were just visiting the
gas station when those photos were snapped, after all GW's link proclaimed it the most famous
gas station in the world
and celebrities from Valentino to Gable got gas there or worked
on their cars
. What better place for a photographer to snap some celebrity photos?

He (Barrymore) certainly doesn't look made up or in costume for anything in the photo, though
the other man E_R alluded to might be, which means that's probably not John B. according to
what Handsome Stranger's research indicates. As for gray hair or looking older, I don't know
about 1922, but in 1906 a male's life expectancy was 46. (Look at some photos of Spencer Tracy
in 1944 when he was that age.) At that time Lionel was 44 and John was 40. One thing I am sure of
is that it wasn't Ethel, who was 43.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM

408 N. Hill Street, 2 blocks from City Hall, circa. 1927.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-APARTME...53010604&rt=nc

note the two arrows and circle denoting the photographer's room (apt. #6).

"Where I lived apt. $30 per mo."
"Walker Apt. #6, 408 N. Hill Street."
"Then moved to 121 N. Hill -same distance from city hall."

the vertical writing along the left border says something about the landlord selling out and moving to long Beach.

The vertical writing along the right border is a bit more mysterious. It says something about Japanese and Pearl Harbor, yet the photograph is dated 1927 (by the seller).
then at the top, it says..."Gym in ?"

"Mrs. Cern (landlady) and I"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1927...00363532&rt=nc

lapl

On the left border of this second photo it says...."Where I lived most of....1942 (??) Now I'm really confused about the dates.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 28, 2015 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:43 PM

I just came across this amazing photograph.

"1950 Los Angeles Transit Railway, Track Curve Installation 8th & Vermont."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C203-RP-195...item5d58e91afc

and there's additional information on the reverse.

_

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
408 N. Hill Street, 2 blocks from City Hall, circa. 1927.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-APARTME...53010604&rt=nc

note the two arrows and circle denoting the photographer's room (apt. #6).

"Where I lived apt. $30 per mo."
"Walker Apt. #6, 408 N. Hill Street."
"Then moved to 121 N. Hill -same distance from city hall."

the vertical writing along the left border says something about the landlord selling out and moving to long Beach.

The vertical writing along the right border is a bit more mysterious. It says something about Japanese and Pearl Harbor, yet the photograph is dated 1927 (by the seller).
then at the top, it says..."Gym in ?"
I think it says 'Gym in basement'

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 3:42 AM

Greg Lemond used to train in the canyons of LA to prepare for the tour.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:01 AM

The Water Feature

This photo was captioned:

A pair of fashionable young women admire the water feature of a newly built home in Hollywoodland, 1930s

but is it still around?

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
This photo was captioned:

A pair of fashionable young women admire the water feature of a newly built home in Hollywoodland, 1930s

but is it still around?

Thanks for posting this photo, MT! Where did you find it?

The stairs are still there, and GoogleMaps calls them the Saroyan Stairs: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...4bcb!4b1?hl=en

But the water was shut off at some point in the past: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17614

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Thanks for posting this photo, MT! Where did you find it?

The stairs are still there, and GoogleMaps calls them the Saroyan Stairs: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...4bcb!4b1?hl=en

But the water was shut off at some point in the past: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17614

USC Library

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 5:55 PM

Regarding above-mentioned Downtown L.A Harbor Freeway ramps: big part of opening credit sequence of 1957 movie "No Down Payment" is filmed on those ramps.
I wasn't able to figure out what is the area the movie's two couples lives. The film has a quite realistic view towards life, at least for the major Hollywood studio production.
http://tinyurl.com/nbobcjq

If the film was already discussed here, I'm terribly sorry.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Also: wow, what a spectacular fire! This thing at its peak (peek?) was utterly massive, with reports of flames reaching 700 feet up into the night sky. As a fire captain in an LA Times article put it, all that bare wood goes up real good. I mean would you look at this shot!

Photo from the LA Times
The investigation begins...

I well remember your posts and recall the controversy about the proposed apartments. It seemed that the plots were way too small for the intended buildings. Many of the apartments had close-up views of freeway traffic and noise ...24/7.

Radio reports today say that the fire is of ''suspicious'' origin. The Fire Department says that the building was ''fully engulfed'' in a raging fire before they even arrived on scene. The local Fire Station is 45 seconds driving-time from the site.

Here are several excellent post-fire stories about these eyesore buildings. Many downtown mavens declare these neo-Roman apartment buildings a disaster from the get-go. By the way, what does a Medici era design have to do with LA? LA is of Spanish origin, not Italian.

http://la.curbed.com/tags/geoff-palmer

Yesterday, a suspect in this fire we talked about last December has been identified:

Suspect In Massive Da Vinci Apartment Fire Charged With Arson, To Appear In Court
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/28/669492/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos