HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:31 AM
Registered User?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Everyone try to fill this survey out!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/towerpark
Done

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

Any news on this?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Any news on this?
Yes!
In a Local Community News publication, I received today, there is an article on the Hemisfair redevelopment. Civic Park which includes Zachary's hotel and office building is slated to break ground later this year!
The article states there will be a "great lawn" featuring plazas and the ability to host major events. Completion of Civic Park is expected in 2022!

It is the Vol.8 ISSUE July 9-Aug.6, 2019

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 4:38 AM

[IMG]The 68th Apartments by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:20 PM

This one will break ground some day. Wonder what the hold up is?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
This one will break ground some day. Wonder what the hold up is?
Here's the link to the most recent article I found on this project;

saheron.com/hemisfair-civic-park-delay/

I'm sure many of you have, like Tornado and myself, been wondering what the deal is with this. Unfortunately, the Heron's article is anything but encouraging and it reads much like it could be a very long time before this sees the light of day. Further, it also seems to allude that it is more than just the inherent, bureaucratic lethargy associated with involvement by multiple entities that has served to arrest progress.
One key factor seems to be erroneous estimates initially made of the costs of the underground parking. I leave it to those posters with construction experience to judge the likelihood of that possibility. I am bummed by the article's assessments, but c'est la breaks... it are what it are.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 12:38 AM

It's been a while, but does this thread involve a really cool curved, glass, modern, building... right?

Now I get other hemisfair topics can be discussed, but I distinctly remember a awsome curved building proposed.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 2:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
It's been a while, but does this thread involve a really cool curved, glass, modern, building... right?

Now I get other hemisfair topics can be discussed, but I distinctly remember a awsome curved building proposed.
This?

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...o-12795178.php

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 9:55 PM

It's a shame the two buildings haven't begun construction. I'm still trying to get a read on how this got so bungled. Any developers/architects/construction people who post or lurk have an update on this one?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
It's a shame the two buildings haven't begun construction. I'm still trying to get a read on how this got so bungled. Any developers/architects/construction people who post or lurk have an update on this one?
If I remember correctly I believe the RFP released by the Hemisfair had some pretty lofty expectations for the PPP. Something like 1200 below grade parking spaces.. that would be like the entire area that is not the green 4 or 5 stories below grade. Think something fell through with the original but there are multiple parcels so not sure.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post
If I remember correctly I believe the RFP released by the Hemisfair had some pretty lofty expectations for the PPP. Something like 1200 below grade parking spaces.. that would be like the entire area that is not the green 4 or 5 stories below grade. Think something fell through with the original but there are multiple parcels so not sure.
What I heard (who knows if it's true) is that the entire green space was going to have a garage below it plus additional parking incorporated into the new buildings. I also heard that those plans were never fully baked and that has at least contributed to this project not moving forward. I'm sure now that they're completely resetting expectations on the project with COVID going on. Who knows what the demand for hotel and office space will be after this is over. It's unfortunate that so much money has been allocated from the city to this project and it hasn't really gone anywhere. I guess that isn't unusual though, the 2017 bond is a 5 year funding cycle so we're only about half way through it. I know the Lockwood/Dignowity projects were in the same funding cycle and nothing has started there either.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 11:08 PM

Update: Pandemic prompts major Hemisfair project's indefinite delay

By W. Scott Bailey
Senior Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal

The pandemic has delayed work on a new 200-room hotel and an adjacent 150,000-square-foot office tower on the northwestern edge of Hemisfair that Zachry Hospitality initially hoped to complete by this time next year.

The company, which has yet to break ground on the buildings, is evaluating the economic impact of the novel coronavirus pandemic, while confirming that there is no timeline for beginning work on the landmark project.

Zachry Corp. Vice President Tara Snowden told me the company and its partner on the proposed project, the city of San Antonio, are working to “define what makes sense for the development in a post-Covid-19 environment.”

At the same time, the company is eager to break ground as soon as possible, Snowden said.

Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. CEO Andres Andujar, who has led the ongoing transformation of the former World’s Fair site, said the organization is focusing on the eastern portion, including a planned Tower Park area and potentially more residential development.

“The financial impacts are definitely a challenge,” Andujar said. “As we wait for everything to get fully settled in the northwest zone, we have more time to continue to perfect the vision and use plan for Tower Park and the road infrastructure that’s under design now. It’s our goal to stay on schedule in the eastern zone.”

The toughest challenge for Andujar and other Hemisfair stakeholders has been an empty park as Covid-19 drove away business. Fortunately for those entrepreneurs who have opened at Hemisfair, they’ve been somewhat protected by a lease that bases their rent on a percentage of sales.

The downside to that model is less revenue for Hemisfair, which is also counting on funding through a rebate on state hotel occupancy taxes that have been deeply affected by the pandemic.

HPARC officials push on amid the economic uncertainties and the recognition that more funding is needed to redevelop the center city site.

“We’ll see how the banks react to the pandemic and the effect that has on development financing,” Andujar said. “What does not go away despite the challenges of the pandemic is that Hemisfair is an amazing property.”

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:52 AM

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised with the delays. I really liked the designs that they came up with initially but am interested to see what the changes will be after they reassess. That corner doesn't deserve anything less than great. If they can't do it right, then wait for someone else to come in and do it correctly.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Well, I can't say that I'm surprised with the delays. I really liked the designs that they came up with initially but am interested to see what the changes will be after they reassess. That corner doesn't deserve anything less than great. If they can't do it right, then wait for someone else to come in and do it correctly.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:16 AM
James

Honestly... I say leave that section alone. Maybe put residences or something on the northern edge. But I feel the more green space the better. That can be utilized for outdoor events once COVID is under control. Similar to how we had the Maroon 5 concert there and such.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:55 PM

More about the pause in development.

https://therivardreport.com/zachrys-...mic-economics/

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 12:14 AM
James

Hemisfair to get new park courtesy of Mays Foundation gift

Quote:
Hemisfair will get a new garden as part of the redevelopment of the former World's Fair site, courtesy of a million-dollar donation from the Mays Family Foundation.

The new garden will be built along East Nueva Street, which stretches from Yanaguana Garden to a planned Civic Park. It's made possible by the largest "leadership" gift Hemisfair has received to date — and the first seven-figure donation made so far to the Hemisfair Conservancy.

The new park will be named for Peggy Mays, who died on Nov. 11. It will include heavily planted areas, small trails and rest areas, with a mix of plant species to attract pollinators.

"My mother was devoted to adding beauty and improving life for all San Antonians,” Kathy Mays Johnson said. “Our family cannot think of a better way to honor her than with these exquisite gardens at Hemisfair that everyone can enjoy for generations.”

The grant will fund the garden's design, construction and maintenance, including tree planting, lighting installation and seating. The garden design, which will be finalized in the coming months, will reflect Peggy Mays’ love for family, nature and her desire to leave the world a better place, her family said. Construction is expected to begin in late 2021.

“It has been a privilege to work with Kathy and the Mays family to honor Peggy’s memory in this thoughtful and meaningful way,” said Anne Krause, executive director of the Hemisfair Conservancy. “The Mays Family Foundation is leading the way in helping us accomplish our aspirational vision of creating one of the world’s great public places here in San Antonio.”

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 1:02 PM

Awesome! More quality green space is always welcomed downtown. Also, the article in the San Antonio Report had this nugget about the NW corner of the site which is where the building development was supposed to be before the pandemic threw it into an indefinite hold.

“We utilized the pause created by the pandemic to concentrate on design and construction projects at Hemisfair, results of which will be visible to the public in 2021,” Setterbo stated in an email. “We’re still in active negotiations for development around the northwest zone perimeter of Civic Park, which ultimately impacts construction of the park itself. However, we’re working with the City to phase construction, and will have an update … coming to council early next year.”

"https://sanantonioreport.org/hemisfair-receives-1m-gift-to-create-garden-honoring-of-late-mays-family-matriarch/?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Awesome! More quality green space is always welcomed downtown. Also, the article in the San Antonio Report had this nugget about the NW corner of the site which is where the building development was supposed to be before the pandemic threw it into an indefinite hold.

“We utilized the pause created by the pandemic to concentrate on design and construction projects at Hemisfair, results of which will be visible to the public in 2021,” Setterbo stated in an email. “We’re still in active negotiations for development around the northwest zone perimeter of Civic Park, which ultimately impacts construction of the park itself. However, we’re working with the City to phase construction, and will have an update … coming to council early next year.”

"https://sanantonioreport.org/hemisfair-receives-1m-gift-to-create-garden-honoring-of-late-mays-family-matriarch/?
So the project is still very much alive.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:00 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Quote:
The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. plans to go before the City Council later this month so it can begin soliciting for a contractor to build out the first phase of Civic Park, a project years in the making.

That initial phase will encompass five of the nine acres set aside for the anchor park on the northwest corner of the Hemisfair site. That work is projected to cost approximately $27 million to complete...

The first phase will include the large lawn...

HPARC officials were initially hopeful that work would commence in 2018, but they wanted to wait for more clarity on a planned public-private project on adjacent real estate initially expected to include a mix of hotel, retail and office space.

Zachry Hospitality has yet to break ground on that project, which has been delayed in part by the fiscal uncertainties spawned by Covid-19.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio