HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Omega in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Phoenix Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:43 PM

PHOENIX | Omega | 375 FT / 114 M | 32 FLOORS

32 Stories / 375'

Client: W Developments, Inc.
Core and Shell Architect: HKS
Contractor: The Weitz Company
Residential: 204 Units
Retail: 8,000 sf
Parking: 299 Cars

Currently in the permitting process.

I understand that W Developments is a big condo developer in Chicago?
They have also already built a 23 story high rise condo in Phoenix which is getting ready for it's first residents to move in. Another rumor is that they never announce a project that they don't follow through on...so I guess we'll see how this one plays out.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 4:56 PM

That's very nice looking.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 12:19 AM

Why call it Omega?
It certainly won't be the last...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 2:29 AM
Meh

That looks great. Top to bottom it looks nice. I like the way it meets the street with the plaza and fountain.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 10:23 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Big fan of the design too, except for what I'm guessing is the parking levels as a podium. Not gonna get dissapointed about that tho, Phoenic isn't exactly known for its plethora of transit options
It by far passes my own little test: would I like it going up in my neighbourhood?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 1:32 PM

Omega is to be constructed on the small vacant lot in front of the Wells Fargo Tower on the right side of this photo I took in August, 2005:

--don

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 5:07 PM
-_-

I found out a couple of months ago that a cousin of mine is doing some work on this building. I believe he works for a structural engineering firm of some sort. I love the rounded shape of the tower, uncommon in phoenix, and I really like the way it interfaces with the street.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 12:08 AM
Community Guy

my condo is called OMEGA

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 4:37 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
my condo is called OMEGA
/\ and it looks nothing like that Cold...

Not too bad! I assume floors 2-6 are above ground parking however? I do like the staggered tower look though with the pool on top of the lower portion... I wonder what sun will be like in that location however...
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 3:08 PM

Building looks fine. Certainly wouldn't mind living in it. However the name needs to change, I'd never want to live in a building that means the end.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 4:13 PM

They should put some tennis courts on the roof of the parking garage where there are the empty spaces...if there is room.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
They should put some tennis courts on the roof of the parking garage where there are the empty spaces...if there is room.
HX, I was thinking the same thing as there appears to be a large roof area ideal for tennis (if enough room) or mini gold course or half court B-Ball.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 5:17 AM
them bones

This site has been screaming for a tower for decades:

The beautifully restored Orpheum Theater is across the street (for those unfamiliar):

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 5:41 AM

Here is the article from the local newspaper that announced this project...and the quote from the developer at the end...

32-story condo tower proposed for downtown Phoenix

Ginger D. Richardson
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 13, 2007 06:17 PM

A developer who has already made his mark in downtown Phoenix with one condominium tower is now proposing a second, 32-story residential project in the heart of the city.

The $100 million development, called Omega, would be located at Second Avenue and Adams Street, behind the Orpheum Lofts. Once built, it would be the third urban housing high-rise downtown.

It is the brainchild of Chicago native turned Phoenix resident David Wallach, who is taking an increasingly active role in the redevelopment of Phoenix's core.

Wallach, principal of W Developments LLC, was the first to take a chance on downtown's urban living appeal when he announced plans to build the 165-unit Summit at Copper Square condominium tower in 2004. Today, that project, located next to Chase Field, is 85 percent sold, and its first residents won't even move in until this summer.

And Wallach is also one of a consortium of local businessmen who recently announced plans to create a blocks-long entertainment district along Jackson Street, on downtown Phoenix's southern edge.

Maybe that explains why Wallach is bullish on the need for residential housing in the heart of the city, despite lingering concerns about the health Phoenix's real estate market.

"The premise that the housing market is soft in downtown is not the right place to start," Wallach said Tuesday. "The right product, in the right neighborhood, has a really good chance of succeeding."

Wallach said he hopes to break ground on Omega later this year, and said the tower could open in 2009. It features one-, two- and three-bedroom units, starting at about $400-plus a square foot. That would put the smallest, 750 square-foot residences in the $300,000 price range.

Penthouse dwellings are as large as 2400 square feet, meaning that they would likely be offered at close to $1 million.

Each of the 214 units will contain amenities like marble baths, granite countertops, and all-wood cabinetry. The tower itself will boast a 12th floor pool, a rooftop party and meeting rooms, workout facilities, six floors of parking and ground floor retail.

Wallach hopes to fill that space with an upscale restaurant.

But he believes one of the project's biggest selling points will be its location. The tower is located across the street from the Orpheum Theatre, and close to Phoenix City Hall. It is also within walking distance to many of downtown's biggest draws, including the Dodge Theatre, US Airways Center and Chase Field.

"It's all about location, location, location," Wallach said. "The sightlines from every part of the building are spectacular."

The plans for the Omega tower come only six months after money constraints and the Valley's flagging real estate market helped kill a mixed-use development known as Central Park East. That project, which would have combined an office tower with high-rise condominiums and academic space for the Arizona State University's downtown Phoenix campus, has since been retooled into a plan for high-end commercial office space.

Wallach quickly douses any suggestion that his development might meet a similar fate.

"Projects don't get built for a variety of reasons," he said. "But I have never announced a project that I didn't actually build."

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 6:03 PM

I heard sometime back that there was a sales office that opened in DT PHX for the Omega Tower. Does anyone know anything about this project or has it quietly died?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 8:43 AM

I don't think it died but it's certainly stalled. They're probably waiting things out.

Last edited by PhxPavilion; Aug 3, 2008 at 7:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:29 PM

Still hoping to move forward me thinks.

http://hirschassociates.com/cubeportfolio/omega/

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 12, 2015 at 5:31 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive