HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 6:59 PM
Meh

If we haven't heard about one yet, then one certainly won't happen by either of those two dates.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:10 PM

Just wanted you to know they are actually tearing down stuff at the Green plant. I spotted bulldozers and rubble this morning while driving by.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 8:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkyscrapers View Post
We have a city pop. of 700,000+ and a metro pop. of 1,000,000+.
I hate to be too uptight about things, but I hear people say the "over one million" or "about one million" in regards to the Austin metro, and I get annoyed. The metro is actually about 1.7 million, and rapidly growing. But if that's too exact for you, and you want to round to the nearest million, then go ahead and say "almost 2 million". It's a heck of a lot closer to the truth.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 8:38 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
Just wanted you to know they are actually tearing down stuff at the Green plant. I spotted bulldozers and rubble this morning while driving by.
That act has a possibility of being the site prep?
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin
"Curiosity killed the cat"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 9:48 PM

No, not site prep. Just tearing down the plant.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:09 PM
Going Up ___///|||

Oh thanks priller. For a moment I thought tearing down the plant would mean site prep. Oh boy.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 3:36 AM
Resident Moron

I'm real glad the city went with a developer who can self finance this thing if it comes down to it. I really hope this all breaks ground next year.

Do we have any idea of a development timeline? Would it be like city center in Vegas where everything is constructed at once?

If this and T. Stacey actually get off the ground.. oh boy we will be cookin.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 4:37 PM
Going Up ___///|||

And here's my percentage:

Green Plant & Seaholm Substation Redevelopment: 50%-Well, what you got to do with a abandoned plant and substation? We Austinites and Austonians don't want filler or filth in our skyline, especially when it comes to abandoned stuff. This thing might be too much to City Hall, so there's a "low" percentage.
A Note:
New Tallest In Austin

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 3:06 AM
Meh

I was downtown today and just happened to drive by Green. They've just recently demolished the water tower. It was a bit of a surprise seeing it laying there. This water tower was 83 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:36 AM
Meh

Green proposal (with renderings) - and they're using one of priller's photos.
http://www.bcarc.com/Project/31/images/530

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:26 PM
Chairman

This will fill in the skyline towards the west quite well.

-sb

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:39 PM
Meh

Only the two green models in the rendering are part of the project. Every other building in the photo already exists, even the CG renderings of a couple of new buildings farther to the right, and extreme left.

I doubt those are the actual designs either, since this project was supposed to have about 4 or 5 towers, with the tallest ones rumored to be 650 to 725 feet. I'm thinking the towers will probably be closer to 400 or 500 feet though.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:35 AM
Meh

Water tower demolition pics taken by our own 427MM.
http://downtownaustin.wordpress.com/...wn+Austin+Blog)

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 4:53 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

This project is super exciting, I woudl luv to see all these towers built at once... Austin would automatically be a top 10 skyline in the US with this project IMO.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
Hopeful Graduate

When is this supposed to start?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
When is this supposed to start?
It's supposed to start later this year, after the decommissioning and deconstruction of the plant is complete.

I do believe the road extensions, and new central library will begin construction in the next year or so, but there will be delays on the rest of the project.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/seaholm/green.htm

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 3:00 AM
Hopeful Graduate

I can't wait! So this will be using the Trammell crow design with 5 towers?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:23 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Yes, the Trammell Crow proposal.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:36 PM

i still would have preferred stratus properties. too bad though... such a waste of a beautiful design. that 600' footer would've been a landmark building... very modern. the whole design really captured the idea of what austin is trying to be. i believe had that design been chosen downtown would've been a thriving one rivaling the best not only in texas but in the nation. and i'm not just talking skyline-wise here. i don't understand why they chose the trammel crowe properties... the designs look very uninspiring. unlike stratus designs which were modern, original, provided density a la vancouver and were "greenhouse" friendly just the same... trammel crowe on the other hand seemed like they just wanted to go with the taller and cheaper designs with no density or creativity or anything really. and the whole h-e-b idea would've been great. just walking distance from lamar and whole foods headquarters. what a shame. i really hope trammel crowe does some good with their designs and hopefully will be much different than the original ones. either way that stratus 600' footer still would've been a great wonder to look at in our skyline. what a shame.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkyscrapers View Post
A really nice project here guys! It looks like a city on its own with trees, a power plant (Abandoned though), solar panel field, lots, roads, a major road, a stream, a park, courts, swimming pool, and skyscrapers! "Green Water City". I really want these buildings to be built. It may even be a new borough in Austin!
still not as nice as stratus properties... it looks very stupid in my honest and blunt opinion. too much open spaces... no density, no creativity. it won't bring people in... just the rich people living there. 2nd street district will keep opening unsuccesful businesses like it's been happening these last 2 years. no one goes there... no one can afford it. it's not vibrant. it's not active. it's not appealing. just looks like a closed neighborhood for rich people that has very tall buildings. it doesn't even seem like austin to me. i could be so very wrong... and i truly hope i am. and if someone has a better understanding of this project let me know... cause i really don't get it. will this project bring in more retail, shops and restaurants thus creating more jobs? will it FINALLY bring a crowd in like everyone assumes 2nd st district does? cause 2nd street is a boring and overrated spot. even the people that live there don't make a big deal of it. the stratus properties seemed to bring in that diversity that 2nd st was lacking... and this trammel crowe doesn't seem like it at all. i'm sorry but i'm not really feeling it. everyone talks about houston this and finally austin will be like houston and or this and that. have you been to houston downtown? nothing but office buildings and businesses and the people walking around are the office clerks and ceo's that work there and the homeless people bumming the workers around downtown. think of sanfrancisco, vancouver, new york... houston is nothing like those places. i assumed austin was trying to bring in that urban feel to it.... and with the trammel crowe it just doesn't feel like it. maybe i'm looking way into this. i don't know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive