HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:09 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Here's a good question. If the SA metro was huge, would SA still be the SA we all know and love? Would a skyline that resembles Dallas or Houston be the SA we all know and love? Nope. I love San Antonio for what it is, and what it will become, but not for what it should be.
good for you ydoc.

we each have a point.

that's it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 5:47 AM

I kind of agree with that dorm tower comparison. Hopefully it will look better after it is done. The last thing we need is another marriot-type building

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
this building is hideous. lookslike a huge, cheap dorm tower.
Com'on, I don't think hideous quite describes it. Am I the only one here who actually kinda likes that thing? We could have done better, no doubt, but it's still a step forward nonetheless. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird9 View Post
Com'on, I don't think hideous quite describes it. Am I the only one here who actually kinda likes that thing? We could have done better, no doubt, but it's still a step forward nonetheless. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder......
I like it but keep in mind guys it doesn't even have the glass up yet. I mean almost half the building is glass, and then the steel looking mechanical tower...let's reserve judgement till then!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:39 PM

Quote:
So in general terms would you say San Antonio is the 9th or 27th largest city in the U.S.

Also, in general terms lets clarify what an "urbanized" area is. Yes urban equates to density but on a map that shows urbanized area- that is an area that is built up- suburban density is included. Maps that display this will denote a color for a built up area not just the dense area. It may be fragmented, as suburban developement goes but none the less it is still urbanized to some extent. So in the real world of cities and moving through them, there is still a continuous density of most sorts. driving from, lets say for example the southern end of SA near 410 and Gillette Ave. straight up north to Evans Rd. or Stone Oak Parkway (the developed areas) that that length is about 23 miles. In Boston you can travel almost twice that many miles and still be in a continuously developed area. So maps are not truly the real world. Actually being there is. Borders are invisible as such of municipalities surrounding major cities. According to the census SA is the 9th largest city in the US but in reality it is not.
San Antonio is the 7th largest city and the 27th largest metro.So technically to say it is the 27th largest city is incorrect.You have to separate both definitions.People may label a metro a city.They don't know the difference.They are incorrect.Technically is the fact.So I would say, S.A is the 7th largest city because of total population within city limits.Now if you talk about, is it the 7th most dense, it's not,but thats a different topic.It is what it is.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 8:05 PM
The Space Pope

^^^
Well said, Paul

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 10:23 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I attended the SAYREP downtown housing summit today and must say I was really impressed. I'll shed more light on this later today.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I attended the SAYREP downtown housing summit today and must say I was really impressed. I'll shed more light on this later today.
Hmmm...please bring us good news

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 5:08 AM

9/18 - Taken by Roger Stephens @ Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerstephens/1415765140/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:02 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
San Antonio is the 7th largest city and the 27th largest metro.So technically to say it is the 27th largest city is incorrect.You have to separate both definitions.People may label a metro a city.They don't know the difference.They are incorrect.Technically is the fact.So I would say, S.A is the 7th largest city because of total population within city limits.Now if you talk about, is it the 7th most dense, it's not,but thats a different topic.It is what it is.
Please read my statement closer. A city is not just its borders. There are no "technicalities" or city limits in the real world. It is the actual place with you in it; as you move in it. Do not try to trump something that is not true unless you know the diffrence.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 4:16 PM
SA 24th largest city

Here are some manipulated before and progress shots of the Hyatt under construction. There is no doubt of the change of the skyline from the Hildebrand/ 281 vantage point.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Here are some manipulated before and progress shots of the Hyatt under construction. There is no doubt of the change of the skyline from the Hildebrand/ 281 vantage point.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
-San Antonio is the 7th largest city proper.
-27th largest Metro.
-25th or so largest urbanized area and moving up in the rankings.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 6:06 PM
Endless Moments...

Thanx you Maxus for posting those images. Ydoc14 as well...

I think there should be a pirate smilie, and maybe a ghost too...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 10:06 PM

in the express news today they showed a picture of the new high rise head- quarters of tesoro. if only it was downtown .

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 3:58 AM
JACKinBeantown

Can you post it?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 4:10 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
in the express news today they showed a picture of the new high rise head- quarters of tesoro. if only it was downtown .
How tall is it and where is it?

This is a year old, but it certainly doesn't sound like a high rise. '122 acre campus'. I hope plans have changed though. Anyone have the details?
http://www.allbusiness.com/operation...4418582-1.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 5:52 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Scan of Tesoro's HQ that is under construction.

Courtesy of the Express-News and my scanner.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 6:14 AM
SA 24th largest city

What if... Koeger Center, USAA, 75% of all high rises along IH10 and Northloop 410 were never built at their current locations and the UTSA main campus was built downtown instead of 1604.

Would SA look something like this?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 2:31 PM

love it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 4:55 PM
SA 24th largest city

Or what about this -far future?
[IMG][/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio