HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:45 AM
IMHO

Downtown on July 31st

Here's some photos I took trying out my new Canon T1i & Wide Angle zoom this evening...

1st St. East is being ripped up this weekend, so don't expect to cross the tracks here...

He struck a pose - I gave him the thumbs up!

Downtown on the wide angle

Downtown detail

Buildings

More here.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 9:29 PM
Round Head

This one is a beauty. I really like how Centennial fills in the skyline. The Bow will also look outstanding from this angle. Nice to see it starting to pop out a bit now. Thanks for sharing.

You should repost in the Great Canadian Skyline thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Here's some photos I took trying out my new Canon T1i & Wide Angle zoom this evening...

Downtown on the wide angle

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Nice shots Ferreth, what Wide Angle zoom are you using?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:27 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Nice shots Ferreth, what Wide Angle zoom are you using?
Canon 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM. I can get a lotta building in at 10mm!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Canon 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM. I can get a lotta building in at 10mm!

We have the identical setup, I have the T1I as well and I just bought that lens off of Kijiji.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 4:32 AM

Da Bow:

Some old and new

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 5:41 AM
IMHO

Quote:

The Geometry on this one - it's like an Escher painting! Well done!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
The Geometry on this one - it's like an Escher painting! Well done!
Thanks, I like the photo but looks kind of washed out to me, I might head back and try it again some day.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 4:27 PM

Nice photos guys!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:19 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Some recent shots around town.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Some recent shots around town.
Nice shots, took me a few seconds to figure out what your second shot was.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 12:49 AM

Was farting around with a new lens that I bought today and snapped this one of The Bow from Scottsman Hill.

Also taken on Scottsman Hill, The Mighty Mongo

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:33 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Was farting around with a new lens that I bought today and snapped this one of The Bow from Scottsman Hill.
What long lens did you buy? I'm going to pick up my Canon 70-200 F4 IS tomorrow and can't wait to try it out!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 1:56 AM

Quote:
What long lens did you buy? I'm going to pick up my Canon 70-200 F4 IS tomorrow and can't wait to try it out!
I bought a EF 35-350MM 3.5-5.6L off of Kajiji. It's an older lens, Canon discontinued it in 2005, but in great shape. Came with a B+W UV filter, a hood and a case for $750. Buddy was asking a grand and I offered him $700 and he countered with $750.

Because of this new lens, I now have a Canon EFS 18-55 IS (asking $150) and a Canon EFS 55-250 (asking $280) for sale if you know anyone who's looking. The 55 comes with a UV filter and the 250 has polarizing filter.

That 70-200 is a sweet lens. Are you buying new?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:57 AM
IMHO

Quote:
I bought a EF 35-350MM 3.5-5.6L off of Kajiji. It's an older lens, Canon discontinued it in 2005, but in great shape. Came with a B+W UV filter, a hood and a case for $750. Buddy was asking a grand and I offered him $700 and he countered with $750.

Because of this new lens, I now have a Canon EFS 18-55 IS (asking $150) and a Canon EFS 55-250 (asking $280) for sale if you know anyone who's looking. The 55 comes with a UV filter and the 250 has polarizing filter.

That 70-200 is a sweet lens. Are you buying new?
I think $750 was a good deal. L glass tends to hold it's value normally, it's just that everyone is going for IS now. I looked at the current 100-400mm and decided I didn't like the push-pull zoom so much. But I'm not totally against it, as the sales clerk did a shitty job trying to sell the lens. Personally, I'd hang on to the 18-55 as a light weight walk-around lens. I'll keep your sale items in mind.

Yep, I'm spending the big bucks and buying new. Even new, I had to wait a week for an order to come in - Canon can't make 'em fast enough right now it seems. I'm getting a 1.4 Tele converter too - I expect to be able to take awsome pictures from my upstairs window of downtown on a nice summer evening, among many, many other things!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:28 AM
Editor

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:41 AM

SAIT Parkade

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Last edited by mersar; Aug 7, 2009 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:11 AM

Quote:
I think $750 was a good deal. L glass tends to hold it's value normally, it's just that everyone is going for IS now. I looked at the current 100-400mm and decided I didn't like the push-pull zoom so much. But I'm not totally against it, as the sales clerk did a shitty job trying to sell the lens. Personally, I'd hang on to the 18-55 as a light weight walk-around lens. I'll keep your sale items in mind.

Yep, I'm spending the big bucks and buying new. Even new, I had to wait a week for an order to come in - Canon can't make 'em fast enough right now it seems. I'm getting a 1.4 Tele converter too - I expect to be able to take awsome pictures from my upstairs window of downtown on a nice summer evening, among many, many other things!
I have two IS lenses and I haven't noticed the IS making much of a difference. I might do some experimentin' later and try turning it off and on and see what happens. You might be right about keeping my 18-55. This long lens weighs a ton and I kind of look like I'm over compensating for something when I walk around with it.

I heard Canon can't keep up on the demand of the 50D
or it might of been the 5D as well. A good sign as far as the economy goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics with that set-up. I hear you about the push pull, but I think it doesn't take long before you get used to it. I've had mine for half a day now and I'm getting the hang of it. Just wish I would have remembered my memory card before I set out this evening. I must took 50 shots before I finally looked at the LCD. Duh!!! Almost made me cry as I had what looked like an awesome shot of this elderly commissioner crossing the 9th Ave bridge into Inglewood.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post

That looks really cool.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:35 PM
IMHO

Quote:
I have two IS lenses and I haven't noticed the IS making much of a difference. I might do some experimentin' later and try turning it off and on and see what happens. You might be right about keeping my 18-55. This long lens weighs a ton and I kind of look like I'm over compensating for something when I walk around with it.

I heard Canon can't keep up on the demand of the 50D
or it might of been the 5D as well. A good sign as far as the economy goes.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics with that set-up. I hear you about the push pull, but I think it doesn't take long before you get used to it. I've had mine for half a day now and I'm getting the hang of it. Just wish I would have remembered my memory card before I set out this evening. I must took 50 shots before I finally looked at the LCD. Duh!!! Almost made me cry as I had what looked like an awesome shot of this elderly commissioner crossing the 9th Ave bridge into Inglewood.
Try shooting with IS at dusk/night. I find it's what makes the difference between having to carry a tripod or not. During the day, IS helps mostly on the tele-end of things - at 300mm, you can get usable shots at 1/60th with IS, rather than the 1/200th I'd need for 300mm. My pics shot from Cresent Heights hill were dead sharp, and I was shooting around 1/15th sec @50mm - would not be sharp otherwise. I'm sold on IS - will not buy a long lens without it now, unless I'm willing to haul a tripod around with it.

I agree - as far as consumerism goes, I don't see much of a recession happening. I never let my SD card out of my camera now - the transfer rate is plenty fast and this way I don't end up with your tragedy .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos