HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:04 AM

I was travelling in a wheelchair. I'm all better now though.

This is what almost hit me.

http://daymak.com/em1.html#specifications

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I was travelling in a wheelchair. I'm all better now though.

This is what almost hit me.

http://daymak.com/em1.html#specifications
I dunno why I assumed you were biking. Yeah that thing isn’t an ebike. That’s an electric motorcycle. I’m shocked that can legally use a bike path. That’s nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 5:46 PM

The police said to contact MPIC as MPIC has allowed the e-bikes. MPIC says contact law enforcement or 311. So now I have to contact 311 on Tuesday.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 6:17 PM
BANNED

^ it's not an e-bike, that's an electric motorcycle.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ it's not an e-bike, that's an electric motorcycle.
Yes. To me that is an electric motorcycle. To the government it's an e-bike.

The rule for e-bikes is 500 watts max power and 32 kph max speed. The Daymak e-bike is taking advantage of the stupid rules. It weighs 210 lbs and can carry 150 kgs. It needs no plates, licence, or insurance. I forgot one important rule. You have to be able to pedal the bike. So this Daymak has retractable pedals and that makes it an e-bicycle. How far do you think you could pedal this 210 lb bike?

MPIC call centre. - "Daymak has built a bike to take advantage of the rules"

MPIC further inquires - "take your concerns to law enforcement or 311".

WPG Police - "We wash our hands of this, MPIC allowed it".

It could probably be driven on the sidewalk and you'd have a case that it can't be touched because the police ignore other bikes on the sidewalk.

It absolutely follows the letter of the law to allow it on bike paths. Just not the spirit of the law.

Last edited by robertocarlos; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:28 AM
BANNED

thanks for the info. doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 5:25 PM

Great editorial in today’s Globe about cycling networks. It lists three things that are necessary for a healthy bike network: 1) protected bike lanes. 2) political leadership because bike lanes attract a lot of opposition from drivers 3) bike lanes need to be built as a network and be connected.

It mentions that Montreal (18) and Vancouver (19) made it into the top 20 of the Copenhaganize Index measure of the practicality of cycling in cities. No other North American cities made it.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-come-by-bike/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:49 AM

Gee, who'da thunk a bunch of bike lanes that aren't connected don't work well.

It's insane to me that with the amount of money that is/has been invested in adding bike lanes to Pembina in the last few years, they're not working this summer on the huge chunks without them from Chevrier to Point or Grant to the underpass.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It mentions that Montreal (18) and Vancouver (19) made it into the top 20 of the Copenhaganize Index measure of the practicality of cycling in cities. No other North American cities made it.
I remember cycling in Vancouver 20 years ago with its bike network that was probably primitive compared to what they have now... I recall thinking 'why can't we have this?'

We still haven't caught up to what they had in 1999, which is sad. There are pieces of a network in place, but the lack of connectivity between the segments is atrocious.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remember cycling in Vancouver 20 years ago with its bike network that was probably primitive compared to what they have now... I recall thinking 'why can't we have this?'

We still haven't caught up to what they had in 1999, which is sad. There are pieces of a network in place, but the lack of connectivity between the segments is atrocious.
It's too bad that we have a nicely paved Northeast Pioneers Greenway that is paved up to near the perimeter, then it's gravel through Birds Hill and along the floodway, and then back to paved going over 59 and into the BHP. It's prevents us road cyclists from taking the safest and most direct route to the park. And when is the Northeast Pioneers Greenway going to be connected into St. Boniface? Would love to a have continuous paved path from downtown to Birds Hill Park.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 5:36 PM

The Northeast Pioneers Greenway is great, until you have to cross those busy intersections with high speed traffic coming at you. Yikes. Certainly not safe for all ages, all abilities.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Meth-related Bike theft must be getting real bad.

Yesterday saw a man in his 20s or 30s on a bike with a cart. Inside that cart were two bikes, without wheels on 'em.

Looked real suspicious. So much so that I'll bet he "stuck out" to Police. Hopefully he got caught.
That's a pretty loose accusation you are making there, pops. But you are definately one to bring forth the "out there" in every circumstance you discuss.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
The Northeast Pioneers Greenway is great, until you have to cross those busy intersections with high speed traffic coming at you. Yikes. Certainly not safe for all ages, all abilities.
I think there are traffic lights at most corners?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 12:38 AM

Sure, but it's not great for kids.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
It's too bad that we have a nicely paved Northeast Pioneers Greenway that is paved up to near the perimeter, then it's gravel through Birds Hill and along the floodway, and then back to paved going over 59 and into the BHP. It's prevents us road cyclists from taking the safest and most direct route to the park. And when is the Northeast Pioneers Greenway going to be connected into St. Boniface? Would love to a have continuous paved path from downtown to Birds Hill Park.
The bike trail along the floodway is ridiculous, I mean seriously who actually uses it aside from ten people a year. Not having the Northeast Pioneers Trail connect at the southern end to anything is pretty dumb, kinda like the Disraeli active transportation bridge that ends on Sutherland on the south side connecting to nothing!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The bike trail along the floodway is ridiculous, I mean seriously who actually uses it aside from ten people a year. Not having the Northeast Pioneers Trail connect at the southern end to anything is pretty dumb, kinda like the Disraeli active transportation bridge that ends on Sutherland on the south side connecting to nothing!
From the Disraeli active transport bridge, take Rover Ave for one block, then south on Annabella, which has bike lanes, and that connects to a path along the river to Waterfront Dr. From there you can connect easily to the Forks, St. Boniface, the Exchange, etc.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
From the Disraeli active transport bridge, take Rover Ave for one block, then south on Annabella, which has bike lanes, and that connects to a path along the river to Waterfront Dr. From there you can connect easily to the Forks, St. Boniface, the Exchange, etc.
You, that bridge has good connectivity to Annabella and beyond on the south side. It's on the North side you wind up on a narrow sidewalk with a high curb next to heavy traffic.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
You, that bridge has good connectivity to Annabella and beyond on the south side. It's on the North side you wind up on a narrow sidewalk with a high curb next to heavy traffic.
Yes, the north side of the bridge lacks connectivity. I wonder what the long term plan is there?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:18 PM

I saw the sign and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign

https://twitter.com/680CJOB/status/1...303195649?s=20

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:40 PM

Wow. Seems kinda overkill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan