HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:32 PM
Western Suburbs

Quote:
The hope is that some businesses will feel confident enough to sign on for a big move to a big, new building, he said.
We've beat this to a pulp. Nobody wants in on this building. I think Hill and co. realize this and they slowly but surely stepping back. The only option was GSK - but that would leave a monster hole in Franklin Plaza. Also - GSK has shown ZERO interest in growing their presence in Philadelphia. Who else is out there that would even fathom the idea of moving to Philadelphia. I thought Teva was a serious contender behind the scenes but they ultimately chose the northeast.

The odds of a company from outside the area coming here are remote at best.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
We've beat this to a pulp. Nobody wants in on this building. I think Hill and co. realize this and they slowly but surely stepping back. The only option was GSK - but that would leave a monster hole in Franklin Plaza. Also - GSK has shown ZERO interest in growing their presence in Philadelphia. Who else is out there that would even fathom the idea of moving to Philadelphia. I thought Teva was a serious contender behind the scenes but they ultimately chose the northeast.

The odds of a company from outside the area coming here are remote at best.
Wasn't the WTC built without tenants?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
So, at this point, this has a better chance of being downsized than built as is or cancelled. From what I took from that article, the developers have expressed no interest in letting go of the project and will downsize it to more modest proportions if the current ones become unfeasible.
IT DOSEN'T SAY THAT ANYWHERE IN THE ARTICLE. Honestly, why are people putting words in their mouth? That dosen't make a bit of sense!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 4:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
IT DOSEN'T SAY THAT ANYWHERE IN THE ARTICLE. Honestly, why are people putting words in their mouth? That dosen't make a bit of sense!
Doesn't. Does not. Doesn't.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 9:10 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeheee View Post
Wasn't the WTC built without tenants?
The WTC was a government funded urban renewal project. It was filled, initially, with a lot of state offices.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:08 PM

STR reading the ACC thread... A render maybe? ;-)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:50 PM
Western Suburbs

The last thing we need is more government offices.

Our city is dying for new jobs. Does City Council realize almost 60% of city residents work outside Philadelphia? It's not about building the ACC as much it is bringing jobs to Philadelphia. We can sit back and pump our chest and talk about bringing 200 "green energy" jobs to the Navy Yard but the rest of our downtown core is slowly moving away. I'm not taking a shot at the Green Jobs, beleive me. They are needed.

How many graduates (the ones who try to stay anyway) move to south Philly, Northern Liberties, Manyunk just to name a few only to take a job outside the city i.e. King of Prussia, Horsham, Mt. Laurel and the Mainline.

Something needs to be done. We are definitely at a breaking point. I think members of this forum have a better idea of how to run this city and create jobs then our current council. This forum seems to have a nice mix along the political spectrum and we might be in better position to actually get things done.

Last edited by We Got Five; Jan 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:54 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Got Five View Post
We are definitely at a breaking point.
Yeah I agree. I think we could turn the page and really move in the right direction. If the right decisions are made.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 7:18 PM
Chairman

So?????????????? Anything new?

-sb

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 7:33 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

No.

Doubtful that there will be anything of substance on this one for a while.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 10:53 AM

according to Kellie Patrick Gates

The site for the 1,500-foot tall building, designed by Philadelphia native and world-renowned architect Eugene Kohn, remains a parking lot.

“Is there any status update on the American Commerce building?” asked Commissioner Patrick Eiding.

“Not currently. The developers are actively seeking tenants,” Jastrzab said. “At this point, they continue to do so, but we haven't heard any further word in terms of other activity regarding the project.”

During a phone interview Wednesday morning, attorney Peter Kelsen, who represents the ACC developers, also said his client was continuing to seek tenants, and that there was no further news.

http://planphilly.com/news/notebook/...can-commerce-c

Old Posted Apr 29, 2011, 4:02 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

It's going to be a parking lot for a while. The sunset clause, however, I wasn't aware of.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 10:36 PM

Time to stick a fork in this idea.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:36 AM

^ No. Never!!!!

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:53 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

How hard is it really to find tenants? Especially in this recession you guys are in

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:08 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

When your city council would rather fund a study asking why the job market is declining--even though those questions have already been answered--instead of actively making the city business-friendly? Very.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:26 PM
Western Suburbs

The impact on the local economy for this project would be incredible. Unfortunately there is zero support from the local government.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:01 PM
Chairman

I walked past the site on May 14th. The signs and renderings are still there. Also I believe Tishman Construction is the GC for this project. There was a Tishman sign posted onsite.

-sb

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 1:43 AM
In Science I Trust

So will this get built or what? I remember being excited about this skyscraper years ago when it was announced.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 3:29 AM
BANNED

It is outdated design anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive